Chapter 6

After I realized what the tattoo meant, I broke my stare and went to unloading my bag. But not with a peaceful mind.

One major question constantly floated around in my brain: What does this mean?

If the rumors were true, then Damien wasn't working for the government at all. In fact, he commanded part of a rebellious army that plotted to right the wrongs that the country had done. If the rumors weren't true, he was still just a rich prodigy that the government was using to lure me into their clutches.

Either way, I had the upper hand because I suspected him, and I was on my home turf. I was ready for anything at that point. Anything except the question he asked me after running across the street to get some lunch for the two of us.

Usually, I eat lunch from the cafe across the street, but sometimes there are people who have serious grudges against cyborgs and they'll give me a hellish experience if I stay in the cafe for too long. So I asked Damien to get lunch instead. I didn't tell him why I wouldn't go, because I was afraid of what he might think. Or another debate about being afraid.

We had helped seven people so far, three of which had been cyborgs. Most of them had been people I had seen around the market before, but a few were new faces. When my stomach had begun making weird noises, Damien laughed and asked if it was time for a lunch break. I had nodded, still thinking about the tattoo on his arm.

After he left with some inters I'd given him to pay for the food, I turned on a holographic sign in the window of the shop that read closed. I went into my work area and began formulating a design for Ignis's "brain". It would require a unique personality chip, a processor chip for commands, a processor chip for what Ignis saw, and multiple other chips.

I was deep in thought when Damien came back and scared the concentration out of me.

"Lunch is served!" he called from the waiting area. I lost my train of thought to my overwhelming hunger. At the mention of food, my stomach made the loudest grumble I'd ever heard.

"Wow, I heard that in here!" Damien joked as I got out of my chair and made my way into the other room.

"Shut up and give me my food," I muttered as the aroma hit me. He laughed and pulled a chicken sandwich wrapped in brown paper out of the bag from the cafe. I set the sandwich down on the counter, tore the paper open and began devouring my lunch. I would always order the same thing from the café, a chicken sandwich and sweet tea.

"So what did you get?" I asked Damien through a mouthful of food.

"A salad and tea," Damien said before shoving a forkful of lettuce and other vegetables into his mouth.

I nodded. We ate the rest of our food in silence. When we finished, I turned the closed sign off and began preparing for customers. Then Damien did something I was not expecting.

"Do you have any plans for tonight?" he asked. The question, though simple, sent my heart racing. Was he asking me out? Why would a commander in the army ask a cyborg out? I thought.

"Um, I, uh, no," I stuttered, "No I don't have any plans." Great, I thought, another mission aborted.

Damien laughed at my reaction to his question. "How about I treat you to dinner then?" he asked coolly. He didn't seem nervous at all. I, on the other hand, was about to have a heart attack.

"Um, well, I... sure," I replied, blushing furiously as I made my way back to the counter from the window. "Why not?" I tried to force a smile to my lips, but it was a nervous one.

Damien let out a laugh. "I'll pick you up at seven. What's your address?"

"Six seven four one in Garden sector," I blurted. The whole situation felt surreal. An odd sensation filled my chest, a mixture of happiness and nervousness.

"You're cute when you're nervous," Damien said as a smile formed on his lips.

I let out a small giggle. "Can you keep an eye on things out here while I work on Ignis?" I asked, trying to wriggle out of the growing awkwardness.

"Sure thing, Cali," Damien said, as calm and relaxed as ever. I rushed into the back, shut Cybora off, and began working on the personality chips for Ignis.

I could practically hear my heart beating. Slowly, I calmed down. If this was a trap to capture me for the government, I needed to bring weapons. If not, well, weapons still sounded like a good idea.

I became lost in my work. To determine which chips went in Ignis and which ones were for other robots, I painted a small design on the chips and on Ignis's face. It was the black outline of a dragon's head.

I lost track of time, and Damien had to remind me to lock up the shop. I rode the bus back to the stop where the whole day started. Damien and I parted ways for a few hours, and for some reason, I missed his company.

I told my parents about my date and they were overjoyed about it. I told them not to tell my siblings, because I knew that there would be many hours of torture if they found out.

I called Damien to ask if dinner would be casual or fancy. He said a little bit of both.

I put on a floor-length skirt and floral pattern shirt. I curled my usually-straight hair and let it hang loosely around my shoulders. I tucked a pair of knives and my handheld fire orb launcher into my arm compartment. I decided to leave my wings and mask at home, even though it pained me to do so.

Finally, I was ready. I awaited my ride to my date with destiny.

AN:

Oh boy! A cliffhanger! I hope you enjoyed the chapter. As always, please feel free to comment and give feedback. It is very helpful, plus it makes writing even more fun to read when it's improved! Thank you, and until the next chapter,

DAYdreamer61401