Chapter 14

The two weeks flew by and soon, Damien and I were being flown in a private government hover-craft to Capitol City. I had been complimented dozens of times on my dress or my hair or anything else relating to my looks, which was very uncommon.

The reason for this was that I was wearing a brightly-colored mask to conceal my cyborg face, silk gloves to cover my robotic hand and arm, and the dress was floor length and concealed my metal leg perfectly.

"I don't like all that makeup and fancy clothing on you," Damien whispered.

"Why not?" I asked in a slightly whiny way.

"It makes you seem very... un-you," he said with a hint of distaste in his voice, "You're not Cali when you're dressed like this, you're Miss Icarus."

"It's just for tonight," I said reassuringly, "Then I'll be back in my casual, not-fancy-at-all clothes. Funny how everyone else is complimenting how I apparently look stunning and you're saying I look like a completely different person."

Damien smiled, "Because you do, birdie. And I fell for the casual, rough-around-the-edges cyborg Cali, not the oh-so-regal and practically royalty Miss Icarus."

It was my turn to smile, "Why, thank you, puppy. Besides, this dress is too comfortable and big and wow that it's starting to annoy me. I feel like I slipped out of my body and into the body of the Presiprimo's wife."

Damien laughed, "We'd all be in trouble if you were the Presiprimo's wife."

I elbowed him playfully, "One day we might be ruling this country side by side, so watch your mouth!"

"It's not we might be ruling this country side by side, it's when we're ruling this country side by side," Damien corrected while a look of pride washed over his face.

A shiver ran down my spine at the thought of living like a queen, never having to go to a run-down machine shop every day to feed my family. I'd change this country for the better and never have to worry about simple things like food or clothing. I'd snuff out the corrupted governments on the earth and all throughout the universe.

I was so busy thinking about how much power I could or would soon hold that I didn't realize we had landed.

"Time to do some spying, Miss Icarus. Remember what we've gone over," Damien whispered in my ear.

I nodded and replied, "Don't speak unless spoken to, don't draw attention to yourself unless it is necessary, don't give out any personal information, and get in, get information, and get out when the time comes," I recited the basic rules for spying that Damien had drilled into my head over the past two weeks.

"Good, follow my lead," Damien said as he got out of his seat and offered me his arm. I took it and put on my practiced act; a flattered, slightly dim-witted, beautiful girl who had somehow caught the attention of some rich guy.

We walked out of the hovercraft and onto the roof of the Presiprimo's home, officially known as the Primo Palace. And it was quite the palace. The entire building sat on a massive hill overlooking Capitol City, facing the west. The Palace was about half the size of the city below, which was the biggest city in the USaCoA at the time.

The view from the roof was stunning. The sun was setting behind the massive city. The tall glass and metal buildings glimmered in the setting sun's rays.

"This will be my favorite part of living here once we take over," I whispered to Damien.

He smiled, "I'll have to remember that."