Chapter 10

Unfortunately, Damien's "encouragement" did nothing but distract me as we finished preparations for our mission.

Everyone was dressed in black clothing with a wolf outline sewn onto the backs and sleeves. I had kept the outfit I was already in, since it was completely black. I didn't see a point in changing.

"Cali, can you come to the stage please?" Damien asked through my earpiece. That little device would take some getting used to.

"Yes," I replied simply. I didn't want to say too much and give away the dozens of emotions churning in my stomach. Had he really wanted to take me out on a date, or was that just to get me to join the Pack? Did he mean his flirtatious remarks, or were those just part of the act also?

What were his true intentions?

I marched towards the stage, ignoring these questions and the people staring at me. My heart raced uncontrollably from both the excitement for the mission and what happened with him.

"Good, you're here," Damien said with an all-too-genuine smile as I arrived backstage. "Basically, we're just going to give the troops another quick pep-talk and then you and I are going to head to Capital City. The troops are going to teleport there once we get in and start the attack."

I took a deep breath, trying to focus on anything but my tornado of emotions. "Right. Let's go."

Damien walked out onto the stage and a hush fell over the crowd.

"Brothers and sisters of the Pack!" he called into the microphone. Instantly, the crowd howled in response.

"What is our motto?" He asked the crowd.

"Live together, live forever! Fight together, fight forever!" the crowd chanted. Interesting motto, I thought.

"That's right! And tonight we will begin our eternal fight together!"

The soldiers stomped, clapped, and howled in agreement. Damien was the perfect leader for these men and women. I hoped he wasn't planning on replacing himself with me, because I'd have the building going up in flames within the first five minutes of being in charge.

"Do you have any encouraging words or tips for this portion of the Pack's first mission, Phoenix?" Damien asked.

"Um, yes," I replied while taking the microphone. "I've only ever gone on missions alone, so the only thing I can tell you as a team is work together and cooperate. Fight hard, be brave, and channel your emotions to work for you."

My little speech ended and the crowd erupted in cheers and whoops. I was glad I was only famous as the Phoenix, because I would have died from the attention if I was famous as Cali Icarus as well.

"The Phoenix and I are going to Capital City now. Your captains will receive a message from me when you are to teleport to the base after we break in. Good luck, and have fun!" Damien finished and walked off the stage with me close behind.

"So, you're going to teleport right outside of the base, and I'll fly there and meet up with you?" I asked Damien quietly when we were backstage.

He shook his head. "No, that'll take too long. We're both teleporting."

"But I don't have a teleporter watch."

"You do now." Damien tossed me a metallic watch he had retrieved from his pocket. I couldn't help but smile.

"Thanks," I muttered as I secured the watch around my wrist.

"Not a problem at all. You just pinpoint where you want to go on the map on the screen, press 'transport', and boom! You're there."