๐ƒ๐„๐„๐ ๐„๐๐ƒ! percy...

By braekerofchains

๐ƒ๐„๐„๐ ๐„๐๐ƒ! โ i'm off the deep end, watching as i dive in โž ๐’Š๐’ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ ๐’„๐’... More

Introduction
dedication
meet the cast!
meet the cast, part two!
spotify playlists
Prologue
part one
i . Reunions
ii . The New Claire Moore
I Need Your Opinion
iii . Cain Richards
iv . Me, Myself and I
v . Purple Is The New Blonde
heyyy
vi . Dead Girl's Not Invited
vii . Dead Girl Goes Anyway
viii. A Blessing From The Wild
ix . Promises Break
x . Hades's Wrath
xi . The Bane Of Olympus
adhd special awareness
xii . Jay's Lament
xiii . Zoรซ's Pet Dragon
xiv . Weight Of The World
xv . The Stars Are Brighter From Afar
xvi . Upon Thy Return
part two
xvii . Hero Returns, Empty Handed
xviii. Nature's Justice
xix. Juniper's Blues
xx. Into The Labyrinth
xxi . Hello Darkness, My Old Friend
xxii. The God Complex
xxiii. Taurus Comes For A Visit
xxiv. Cain's Deadly Fear
xxv. Servant of the Dead
xxvi. Old McDonald
xxviii. Who She's Always Been
xxix. Falling Into The Deep End
xxx. Back Under
xxxi. The God Complex II
xxxii. The Ghost King
xxxiii. The Last Stage
xxxiv. The God Complex III
xxxv. Her Perilous Twin
xxxvi. Too Many Goodbyes
part three
xxxvii. A Little Older, Not At All Wiser
xxxviii. The Last Olympian
xxxix. A Sleeping City
xl. His Mortal Tether
xli. She Will Fight!
xlii. The Leading Deceit
xliii. Where Hope Survives
xliv. Family, Luke
xlv. To Family
Epilogue
NEW SERIES!!

xxvii. Annabeth's Hubris

5.3K 265 206
By braekerofchains

╔═══════════════╗

chapter twenty-seven.
( battle of the labyrinth )
❝ annabeth's hubris!

╚═══════════════╝

    Percy's no longer surprised when I'm around and all of our friends are untied. I think he's come to understand that I always find a way out; I'm resourceful. You have to be if you're a demigod. Cain explained he had gotten Eurytion on our side with a small little chat from uncle to nephew (oh, yeah, he also explained how he's the son of the minor-god of fear. No one was really surprised. In fact, it made sense. Annabeth had her theories, she had said, which was why she brought him along. Either way, she looked very proud that Cain had managed to talk Eurytion into standing up for himself. He blushed when she said that it had been very smart of him to do).

    We had a lovely chat with Eurytion━he wasn't that bad. He's grown on me. Annabeth rubbed her bruised wrists. She was still looking at him suspiciously, however. "Your boss said that someone paid for our safe passage. Who?"

    The cowherd shrugged. "Maybe he was just saying that to fool you."

    "No, he wasn't," I said. We all knew he had paid for our safe passage, deep down, we just didn't want to say it.

    "What about the Titans?" then asked Percy. "Did you Iris-message them about Nico yet?"

    "Nope," the son of Ares shook his head. "Geryon was waiting until after the barbecue. They don't know anything about him."

    Nico was glaring at Percy. I wanted him to come with us, but I don't think he would agree to that with Percy with us. I pursed my lips. I wasn't going to break Hades's promise a second time. I met Percy's gaze, and he knew exactly what I was thinking. He turned to Nico, "You could stay here until we're done with our quest," he told him. "It would be safe."

    "Safe," Nico said. "What do you care if I'm safe? You got my sister killed!"

    "Nico," I tried, my words gentle, "that wasn't Percy's fault. And Geryon was't lying about Kronos wanting to capture you. If he knew who you were, he'd do anything to get you on his side."

    "I'm not on anyone's side. And I'm not afraid!"

    "I never said you were," I said. "But we're all afraid, Nico. It's smart to be afraid. Your sister wouldn't want━"

    "If you cared for my sister, you'd help me bring her back!"

    "A soul for a soul?" Percy frowned.

    "Yes!"

    "But if you didn't want my soul━"

    "I'm not explaining anything to you!" Nico blinked away tears. "And I will bring her back!"

    "Bianca wouldn't want to be brought back!" Percy said. "Not like that."

    "You didn't know her!" he shouted. "How do you know what she'd want?!"

    Percy stared at the flames in the barbecue pit in thought. I frowned at him, seeing the clench of his jaw as he tried to understand something. In the end, he looked back up. Meeting Nico's gaze, he said casually, "Let's ask Bianca."

    The sky seemed to grow darker all of a sudden.

    "I've tried," said Nico miserably. "She won't answer."

    "Try again. I've got a feeling she'll answer with me here." 

    "Why would she?"

    "Because she's been sending me Iris-messages," Percy said. "She's been trying to warn me what you're up to, so I can protect you."

    Nico shook his head. "That's impossible."

    "One way to find out. You said you're not afraid," Percy glanced at Eurytion. "We're going to need a pit, like a grave. And food and drinks."

    "Percy..." warned Annabeth, looking very pale. "I don't think this is a good━"

    "All right," Nico said. "I'll try."

    Eurytion scratched his beard. "There's a hole dug out the back for a septic tank. We could use that. Cyclops boy, fetch my ice chest from the kitchen. I hope the dead like root beer."

    Cain pursed his lips, his brows furrowed in thought. "I'll come with you," he told Percy and Nico. Percy immediately went to object, but Cain got there first. "I know you have a problem with me, Jackson, but get over it," I blinked. The maze really has brought out a different side to Cain. "You're not the only one who's had dreams, all right? So, I'm coming," he grabbed his longsword from the picnic table he had settled it upon as we all chatted. Brushing past the son of Poseidon, he added a quick, "So suck it up, pretty boy."

    Percy was a mixture of surprise and anger. He met my gaze, and I took a deep breath. It was hard to pick a side━not that I wanted to. It's just, I knew what Percy felt around Cain, and some of the memories he brought back up; terrible memories. But I also know that Cain doesn't mean to do it. He can't help it. Percy had to learn to deal with it. He had to learn to face his fear.

    And maybe this will be the moment he will.

    The rest of us waited for them to return. None of us wanted to go back down the maze during night, so we spent the night at the ranch. Everyone else was sleeping, but I was wide awake. Staring up at the ceiling on the couch, I waited for Percy, Cain and Nico to return. When they did, I glanced over and saw pained looks upon their faces. Nico immediately sniffled and walked off, taking the corner to himself and swallowing himself in the shadows.

    Cain pursed his lips, but didn't say anything. As he passed, he gave me a friendly pat on the shoulder before deciding to take a space on the floor, sitting his back up against the chair when Grover was sleeping.

   Percy was the last to come over. I sat up, and he took the spot next to me. He propped his feet up onto the coffee table and crossed his arms, brooding.

    I crossed my legs apple-sauce, settled in the nook between the back of the lounge and the arm. "Let me guess, didn't go so well?" I whispered.

    He met my gaze. Softly, Percy muttered, "He's speaking with Minos, which isn't great. Ghost King's hand."

    "That's not good," I murmured. "What about Bianca?"

    "She came," he said, glancing anxiously over to where Nico was staring blankly at the wall in the dark. "She warned Nico about his fatal flaw ... grudges..."

    I nodded, "Common for children of Hades."

    "Yeah ..." Percy sighed, looking very tired. "What about you? How was your trip down in the Labyrinth? Did you get them back?"

    There was that pang of guilt again. I pulled my legs up to my chest, settling my chin on my knee. Percy frowned, and removed his feet from the table in seeing the fall of my face. "What happened?"

    "It was Jay," I said, and his shoulders slumped in his realisation. "He ... he ... I don't know how, but it was him that led me through the maze, tricking me into thinking I'd get my powers back. Instead, he has them. Kronos gave them to him ... I don't know ..."

    "You can't keep blaming yourself for what happened to him, or to Luke," then said Percy, his head falling to the side so he could watch me gently.

    "Percy," I frowned. "Even if I wanted to, I can't. It's my fatal flaw: not able to let go. Which is annoying because Hades says I have to let go if I want my powers back." My head fell onto the back of the couch as well. But my gaze flickered down to my fingers instead of meeting his sea-green ocean eyes. "I'm never going to get them back."

    Percy's noze twitched slightly in thought. Then, he gave me a small smile. "Well, even if you don't, anyone who crosses path with you should be worried."

    I arched a brow at him. "Huh?"

    "I mean," he continued. "Anyone who can shoot a single arrow through three chests in one shot without any special powers is someone I'd be worried to cross paths with."

    My stomach fluttered, or perhaps my chest, I think that it was both. I could feel my cheeks go red━warm up. It was a nice feeling. One that I missed, and one that always seemed to be connected to Percy. "Shut up..." I mumbled, not sure how to take the compliment.

    His eyes widened, "Wow ... ouch."

    I rolled my eyes. Amongst the flutters was a burst of courage. One that made me shuffle closer and rest my head on his shoulder. Percy stiffened, but soon he relaxed back down. I closed my eyes, feeling like I could finally sleep knowing that he was okay. There was a few seconds of just hearing his chest rise and fall until I felt a weight on the top of my head. His cheek brushed against my hair, and I smiled to myself. He smelt like salt-water.

    Seaweed Brain, I thought, and my chest fluttered more.

° ° °

    When I woke up the next morning, I was lying down on the couch. I remembered leaning on Percy's shoulder, not lying flat down. He must have gotten up or something. Don't know how he moved me without waking me, consideirng I'm a light sleeper, but he had. Sitting up, my hair was tucked behind my ear. I frowned, and shook it out. No; I cover my ears. My ears are ugly.

    We said our goodbyes by the cattle grid. I kept watching Nico, unsure on what to do or say. I had to protect him. I had to keep him safe━I can't mess up again this time. So, before we could go, I quickly blurted out. "Nico, you could come with us."

    He shook his head. None of us slept well in the racnh house, but Nico looked worse than anybody else. His eyes were red and his face chalku. He was wrapped up in a black robe that must've belonged to Geryon, because it was three sixes too big. Even for a grown man.

    "I need some time to think," his eyes wouldn't meet anyone's. I knew he was still angry━at Percy. Perhaps the fact that his sister had come out of the Underworld for Percy and not him ... yeah, I think that wouldn't sit well with me either.

    "Nico," said Annabeth. "Bianca just wants you to be okay." She put her hand on his shoulder, but he pulled away and trudged up the dusty road back to the ranch house; the morning mist seemed to cling to him as he walked.

    "I'm worried about him," Annabeth muttered. "If he starts talking to Minos's ghost again━"

    "He'll be all right," Eurytion promised. "The boy can stay here and gather his thoughts as long as he wants. He'll be safe, I promise."

    I nodded, hoping that he would keep that promise.

    "What about you?" then asked Percy.

    Eurytion scratched Orthus behind one chin, then the other. "Things are going to be run a little different on this ranch from now on. Noe more scared cattle meat. I'm thinking about soya-bean patties. And I'm going to befriend those flesh-eating horses. Might just sign up for the next rodeo."

    Percy stared at him, alarmed. "Uh ... Well, good luck."

    "Yep," Eurytion spat into the grass (ah, yes, children of Ares...) "I reckon you'll be looking for Daedalus's workshop now?"

    Annabeth's eyes lit up, "Can you help us?"

    Something about the subject of Daedalus's workshop seemed to make Eurytion uncomfortble. "Don't know where it is. But Hephaestus probably would."

    "That's what Hera said," Annabeth agreed. "But how do we find Hephaestus."

    Eurytion pulled something from under the collar of his shirt. A necklace━smooth silver disc upon a silver chain. The disc had a depression in middle; perhaps a thumbprint. He handed it to Annabeth. "Hephaestus comes here from time to time," he said."Studies the animals and such so he can make bronze automation opies. Last time, I━uh━did him a favour. A little trick he wanted to play on my dad, Ares and Aphrodite. He gave me that chain in gratitude. Said if I ever needed to find him, the disc would lead me to his forges. But only once."

    "And you're giving it to me?" Annabeth asked.

    Eurytion blushed. "I don't need to see the forges, miss. Got enough to do here. Just press the button and you'll be on your way."

    She pressed the button and the disc sprang to life. It grew eight metallic legs. Annabeth shrieked and dropped it, much to Eurytion's confusion. "Spiders!" she screamed.

    "She's━um━a little scared of spiders," Grover explained. "That old grudge between Athena and Arachne."

    "Oh," Eurytion looked embarassed. "Sorry, miss."

    The spider scrambled to the cattle grid and disappeared between the bars.

    "Hurry," said Cain. "That thing's not gonna wait for us."

    Annabeth was anxious to follow, but we didn't have much choice. We said our goodbyes, Tyson pulled off the cattle grid, and we were back under the maze.

    The spider should be on a leash━I will say this now. In the darkness of the maze, all the twists and turns and such, this stupid thing going scuttling as fast as it does made it hard to keep up with. If it hadn't been for Tyson and Grover's inhuman hearing, we would have lost it forever ages ago.

    We ran down a marble tunnel, then dashed to the left and almost fell into a chasm. Annabeth led the way across by swinging along the series of iron rungs in the ceiling, following the spider with an anxious determination.

    (Yay, monkey bars).

    Everyone got across easily, quickly catching up to Annabeth who was running after the spider. We kept moving and passed a skeleton crumpled in the tunnel wearing the remains of a dress shirt. The spider didn't slow down. Percy slipped on something. He shone the light down, and we saw hundreds of pencils broken in half. Cain called that weird and we moved on.

    The tunnel opened up into a large room. Blazing light hit us. I covered my eyes, letting the light adjust before I examine the room. Once it did, I saw the skeletons. There were dozens of them━littered on the floor around us. It smelt, like rotten eggs. Some were old and bleached white, others were more recent, and were still decaying (they were the ones that smelt).

    The last thing I saw was the monster, which was probably not the best thing. But ... oh, well?

    She stood on a glittering dias on the opposite side of the room. She was a Sphinx; the body of a huge lion with the head of a beautiful woman; her pointed features seemed more menacing with the tight bun she wore. A blue ribbon badge was pinned to her chest. It took me a few moments to read: THIS MONSTER HAS BEEN RATED EXEMPLARY!

    Tyson whimpered, "Sphinx."

    I think Percy mentioned Tyson was once attacked my a Sphinx when he was small (if he could ever be small) in New York. I found myself stepping closer to him and a little in front, letting him know that we have his back.

    Spotlights blaxed on either side of the monster. The only exit was a tunnel right behind her (great). The metal spider scutled between the Sphinx's paws and disappeared.

    Annabeth started forward, but the Sphinx roared, baring fangs amongst humanoid teeth. It was really weird to watch, but also kind of terrifying. Bars came down on both tunnel exists, behind us and in front.

    And then━like a switch was flicked━the monsters snarl turned into a bright smile. "Welcome, lucky contestants!" she announced. "Get ready to play ... ANSWER THAT RIDDLE!"

    Canned applause blasted from the ceiling from invisible sub-woofers. Spotlights swept across the room and reflected off the dias; glitter was thrown over the skeltons on the floor.

    "Fabulous prizes!" the Sphinx said. "Pass the test, and you get to advance! Fail, and I get to eat you! Who will be our contestant?"

    Annabeth grabbed my arm. "I've got this," she whispered. "I know what she's going to ask."

    I frowned at her, "You do?"

    It's not that I don't believe in her, in fact, it's quite the opposite! If anyone can get through this, it would be Annabeth. However, her fatal flaw was Hubris, and if she was going into this with so much pride, she might lose.

    She stepped forward onto the contestant's podium which had a skeleton in a school uniform hunched over it. She pushed the skeleton out of the way, and it clattered to the floor. "Sorry," she told it weakly.

    "Welcome, Annabeth Chase!" the monster cried (Annabeth hadn't said her name, right? I didn't completely miss that, right?). "Are you ready for your test?"

    "Yes," she said. "Ask your riddle."

    "Twenty riddles, actually!" the Sphinx said gleefully.

    "What?" Annabeth frowned. "But back in the old days━"

    "Oh, we've raised our standards! To pass, you must show proficiency in all twenty. Isn't that great?"

    Applause.

    Annabeth glanced back at us nervously. Cain gave her an encouraging nod. I sent her a small smile. She took a deep breath, pursing her lips.

    "Okay," she told the Sphinx. "I'm ready."

    A drumroll sounded from above, switched on and off like someone was turning a faucet. The Sphinx's eyes were bright with sick excitement. "What ... is the capital of Bulgaria?"

    Annabeth frowned again, taken-aback. "Sofia," she said, "but━"

    "Correct!" Applause. The Sphinx smiled so wide her fangs showed. "Please be sure to mark your answer clearly on your test sheet with a 2B pencil."

    "What?" a testbooklet appeared on the podium in front of Annabeth, along with a sharpened pencil.

    "Make sure you bubble each answer clearly and stay inside the circle," said the Sphinx. "If you have to erase, erase completely or the machine will not be able to read your answers."

    "What machine?"

    The Sphinx pointed with her paw. Over by the spotlight was a bronze box with a bunch of gears and levers and a big Greek Letter H, Êta, on the side; the mark of Hephaestus.

    "Now," said the Sphinx, "next question━"

    "Wait a second," Annabeth protested. "What about 'what walks on four legs in the morning'?"

    "I beg your pardon?" the Sphinx sounded annoyed. I kissed my teeth. Annabeth, don't annoy the monster, she might not care if you win, she'll just eat you.

    "The riddle about man. He walks on four legs in the morning, like a baby, two legs in the afternoon, like an adult, and three legs in the evening, as an old man with a cane. That's the riddle you used to ask."

    "Exactly why we changed the test!" she monster exclaimed. (I muttered to Percy, "We? She's the only one!"). "You already knew the answer. Now, second question, what is the square root of sixteen?"

    "Four, but━"

    "Correct! Which US president signed the Emancipation Proclamation?"

    "Abraham Lincoln, but━"

    "Correct! Riddle number four. How much━?"

    "Hold up!" Annabeth shouted.

    I love her; I really do. But can she please leave her pride alone for a second to stop complaining and just answer the questions so we can go?

    "These aren't riddles," she then said, and the Sphinx frowned. 

    "What do you mean?" the monster snapped. "Of course, they are! This test material is specially designed━"

    "It's just a bunch of dumb, random facts! Riddles are supposed to make you think."

    "Think?" The Sphinx scowled. "How am I supposed to test whether you can think? That's ridiculous! Now, how much force is required━"

    "Stop!" Annabeth insisted. "This is a stupid test!"

    "Um, Annabeth," Grover cut in nervously. "Maybe you should just, you know, finish first and complain later?"

    "I'm a child of Athena!" she said. "And this is an insult to my intelligence. I won't answer these questions."

    The spotlights glared. The Sphinx's eyes glittered pure black. "Why then, my dear," the creature said calmly. "If you won't pass, you fail. And since we can't allow any chldren to be held back, you'll be eaten!"

    She blared her claws; gleaming like stainless steel in the spotlights. She pounced at the podium. Cain drew his sword, but Tyson got there before him. "No!" he charged. He tackled the Sphinx midair and they crashed sideways into a pile of bones. This gave Annabeth just enough time to gather her wits and draw her knife. I spun my necklace. Tyson got up, his shirt clawed to shreds. The Sphinx growled, looking for an opening.

    Cain stepped in front of Annabeth, his broardsword ready. "Turn invisible," he told her.

    "I can fight!"

    "No, listen to me," he yelled. "The Sphinx is after you! Let us get it!"

    "He's right, Annabeth," Percy pulled the cap off his pen, and Riptide sprung out; sharp and deadly.

    Proving his point, the Sphinx knocked Tyson aside and tried to charge past Cain. Grover poked her in teh eye with somebody's leg bone. She screeched in pain. I notched an arrow, stepping back behind Percy who had me protected while I aimed. Annabeth put her cap on vaished. The Sphinx pounced right where she'd been standing, but came up with empty paws.

    "No fair!" she wailed. "Cheater!"

    With Annabeth no longer in sight, the Sphinx turned onto Cain. He raised his sword, but before he could strike, I let go of the arrow. It landed in her side, and she screeched again. Tyson ripped the grading machine out of the floor and threw it at the monster's head. It landed in pieces all around her.

    "My grading machine!" she cried. "I can't be exemplary without my test scores!"

    The bars lifted from the exists, and we all dashed for the far tunnel. I hoped Annabeth was doing the same.

    The Sphinx started to follow, but Grover raised his reed pipes and began to play. Suddenly, the pencils colleted around the monster's paws and grew roots and branches. They wrapped around her legs. She ripped through them, but it bought us just enough time. Tyson pulled Grover into the tunnel, and the bars slammed shut behind us.

° ° °

    a/n: yo i've prewritten up to the first chapter of the last olympian ahhhhh

    as usual, if there are any mistakes i is sorry.

    i published fast today cos i got excited

    also cain is my loveable badass you can't tell me otherwise. he is my child, and he deserves the world. and y'all i can't wait for the next chapter hehehehehehe

    and y'all the character development of claire in this chapter. she went from absolutely hating tyson to trying to protect him because he's scared of the sphinx like omg brotp

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 12.6K 43
when will her ๐™ ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™™๐™ค๐™ข ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ข๐™š ? (really... she's getting impatient !) (percy jackson x fem! oc) (som-ttc) (book one in the 'royalty' series) ...
132K 5.9K 20
and now he's dear, and so unsure, I wonder why I didn't see it there before. [ percy jackson x original character ] [ book two in the belle series ] ...
27.5K 777 27
แด˜แดŠแด า“า“ - แด›สœแด‡ ส™แด€แด›แด›สŸแด‡ แดา“ แด›สœแด‡ สŸแด€ส™สส€ษชษดแด›สœ "๐‘Œ๐‘œ๐‘ข'๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘œ ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ก๐‘ฆ ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘’." "๐‘Š๐‘’'๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™ ๐‘”๐‘œ๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’๐‘‘๐‘Ž...
74.5K 2K 24
โฅ ๐‹๐Ž๐†๐ˆ๐‚๐€๐‹ โœฐ โธป in which two teens meet and understand eachother more than anyone as they are on dangerous quests ! โžณ โ”Špercy jackson and the...