Lost in Captivity (Book 6)

By varzanic

~Book 6 of the Demon Series Three years, and Ranger has nothing. Not even a trail to follow. He’s wandering b... More

Chapter 1: To Hate the Sun
Chapter 2: Wrong One
Chapter 3 Headquarters
Chapter 4: One of Rogues
Chapter 5: Barely Above a Sub
Chapter 6: Replacement
Chapter 7: Sons of Rogues
Chapter 8 Must be a Sub Thing
Chapter 9: Part of the Pack
Chapter 10: New Bonds
Chapter 10: New Bonds-private
Chapter 11: Whatever You Say
Chapter 13: Fur Fetish
Chapter 14: Don't Kill Him
Chapter 15: Interrogation
Chapter 16: Breaking Point
Chapter 17: A Phone Call
Chapter 18: Safe in His Arms
Chapter 19: All Grown Up
Chapter 19 All Grown Up-private
Chapter 20: Aden
Chapter 21: Learning the Hard Way
Chapter 22: Gorgeous
Chapter 23: Mating Dynamics
Chapter 24: Clever or Childish
Chapter 25: Tormenting the Subs
Chapter 26: Me or Them
Chapter 26: Me or Them-Private Version
Chapter 27: A Lingering Scent
Chapter 28: Call Disconnected
Chapter 29: The Chase
Chapter 30: The Decision
Epilogue

Chapter 12: Midfield's Special Units

10.7K 623 38
By varzanic

Chapter 12

Midfield’s Special Units

~Shiloh

I was scared. I didn’t know what to do. Human were unpredictable creatures. The truck backed into a garage. Remaining still, I heard the humans get out of the vehicle. The one sitting by my head, jumped over the side. The tailgate was dropped, and I quickly closed my eyes.

They dragged me to the end and carried across the room. Opening my eyes slightly, I saw the bars of a cage pass over my head. Once I was laid inside, the door was close and locked. I resisted the urge to sit up. I had to pretend to be asleep. For how long, I had no idea.

The cage was wheeled inside. It stopped in a hallway. The humans walked around me, more joining the three that brought me here.

“I need a blood sample,” said a man.

I tensed at the thought. My blood? I wasn’t a wolf, though; would they be able to tell?

“I’ll do it,”said Becca. She set a tray on the ground.

I kept my eye hooded as she reached through the bars and grabbed my paw. She pulled it close to the edge. I couldn’t help it, I started to whine as the needle approached.

“Shh…” she said softly. “You’ll barely feel a thing.” She quickly took the sample and wrapped the area. “There you go. Robert,” she called. “He’s waking up.”

“Shouldn’t be,” he muttered. “He should be sleeping for another hour.”

Becca shrugged. “Guess not.” Grabbing the tray, she stood and left through one of the doors along the hall.

“Hmmm…” Robert squatted down. “You are a bit bigger than the others, but not by much.”

Laying still, I kept my eyes down. This wasn’t going to work. Sooner or later they were going to figure out I was different.

***

~Ranger

I tapped my finger on the armrest. The car was parked down from the main house. Daven was listening to the radio as he flipped through his phone. This was the second time we sat on an abandoned road, waiting.

“Patience, Ranger,” he said. “Let my men do what they’re trained to. As soon as the area is clear, they’ll call.”

“It’s taking too long,” I muttered. “If we had done it my way, it would be over with already, and we’d know if Shiloh was here.”

“We’re trying to avoid casualties.”

“You’ll lend toxin guns to the rogues, but not pack wolves,” I retorted.

Daven sighed and sunk down in his chair. “The bullets are accounted for and were properly disposed. There will be no more guns.” He leaned over the steering wheel. “Not in my reign. Well leave the weapons to the humans.”

“Took a couple werewolves dying for Midfield to figure out they’re not gods.” I shook my head. “You just as flawed as every other pack.”

Daven sucked in his cheek. “I’m trying really hard to ignore your attitude. Since it is my men fighting for you right now.”

“Sorry.” Folding my arms, I stared out the window. “I heard you’re having another pup.”

Daven nodded. “So are Jagger and Raven.”

I glanced over. “Boy or girl?”

He nodded. “Boy, they found out last weekend.”

“The sub finally got what he wants,” I breathed. “Who knows if Shiloh hadn’t been taken, I might have one of my own by now.”

Daven clasped my shoulder. “We’ll get him back. You’ve come farther than anyone else to find the head of the blackmarket. We actually have a lead.”

“It might be too late.” I watched the snow fluttered down from the trees. “He could already be mated. Hell, he might have kids, and all this would be pointless.”

“Well, aren’t you depressing,” laughed Daven. “Let be a bit more positive about this, or I might just go home and let my men figure it out themselves.”

“Not now.”

We sat in silence, with just the sounded of the window wipers swishing back and forth.

“If anything,” said Daven. “The werewolf we find today will get to go home. It may not be exactly what you’re wanting, but it’s something. The last one gave two men their mates back. Even if Shiloh’s not here, it’s still worth it.”

I opened my mouth to reply, but stopped when his phone started to ring.

He answered it. “Alright, we’re on our way.” Hanging up, he put the car in drive and started up the road to Black Creek Farms.

***

Keith opened the door to the lounge. I entered and flinched back. Boss was here.

My mate pressed up behind me. “You’re fine, West. You have this now.” He traced the scar under my shirt.

“Yeah, yeah I knew that.” I walked over to the couch and sat down. The alpha watched me as he did so. Lette was holding onto his arm. Keith gave his father a content smile; one that clearly said we had sex.

“So it’s done?”

My mate nodded. “He’s mine.”

“Good.” He turned sharply to Adam and whispered something to him.

The werewolf wrote down the information on his clipboard, before hurrying from the room. Lette was giving me a shy smile as he swayed back and forth. I folded my arms, tucking my hands out of view. Boss was not sticking me again. Even with Keith’s enzymes, the man better stay away from me.

Adam ran back into the room, drawing everyone’s attention. He handed his phone off to the alpha.

Boss clenched his jaw. He said nothing, before ending the call. “Adam.”

“Yes, Alpha.”

“Cancel everything. Gather in my office now.”

“What going on?” asked Keith.

“Midfield,” growled Boss, marching out of the room. The dominants filed in behind him

Keith hurried to my side. “I don’t know when I’ll be back.” He quickly kissed me.

“Is it that bad?” I asked.

My mate nodded. “By the sounds of it.” He grabbed my chin. “Please be good.”

“I’m not a child.” I turned away from him sharply and glared at the floor.

“Just be good,” he whispered in my ear, before kissing my cheek.

I glanced over my shoulder and watched him jog from the floor. The dominants, standing guard, closed the door right after him and assumed their usual positions. I wondered if Midfield caused problems often. With the kind of wolves they have running that place, I won’t be surprised. Darius and Jagger were both asses, and Midfield’s next alpha was from Northern Ridge.

Lette knelt at my feet and smiled up at me.

“What?” I muttered.

“You have a mate,” he said cheerfully.

“Yeah.” I rubbed the mark. “We’re official now.”

The white werewolf jumped up off the floor and hugged me tightly around the neck.

“Whoa,” I exclaimed. “Where did this come from?”

“I’m so excited for you.” He released me. “It must be amazing to have a mate.”

I scanned the boy’s shoulder. No scars showed through his fur. I smiled to myself. Every subs’ dream was to have a mate, and now I had one.

“It is.” I ruffled his head fur. “And one day, you’ll be able to have one yourself.”

Lette sighed. “I hope so.”

“It’ll happen.” With a deep breath, I glanced at the checkerboard under the table. “I think it’s my turn to be black.”

The sub frowned at me as he sunk to the floor to get the game out. “But I’m black.”

“Well, you always win, so it’s time we switch.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’ll still beat you.”

I laughed. “That little patch of red on your chest makes sense now.”

***

I stood in front of the house. The last of the werewolves were being led out and loaded into a ten wheeler. The lower rank sat around on the grass being watched over by Midfield’s special unit.

“Ranger.”

I looked to the edge of the house.

Davem motioned for me. “Over here.”

The snow crunched under my feet as I turned the corner. Daven entered a large metal shed. I followed him and stood in front of a group of werewolves huddled together.

“They separated out the bought labor.” Daven scanned the scared faces. “They’re all yours. Ask them whatever you need to.” He went to talk to the man that lead the mission, who was waiting by the door.

I cleared my throat. “I’m looking for a sub. White blond hair, he’s name is Shiloh, and another werewolf named West. He’s about this tall,” I showed them with my hand. “Sandy blond hair.”

They stared at me without making a sound.

I sighed, rubbing my forehead. “Look, we came to take you home. If you don’t have one, then Midfield can find a place for you among their pack.”

The fear started to subside.

“That’s why I am here, to find my pack mates. The sub had a scar. It was just an engagement bite, but it was mine. I want him back.”

A thin male moved to the front of the group. “They were two others in the truck when they took us to the dropoff. An omega, and a middle to lower rank. They match the description.”

My chest tightened. “They were together?”

“From what I remember, they were always together.”

“They always ate together,” added a young woman.

The man nodded. “They might be who you’re looking for.”

“Where are they now?” My hands were shaking as I waited to hear.

He glanced around at everyone. No one looked willing to answer.

“They took the middle rank away. The men looked to be from a powerful pack. I think someone wanted him as a mate.”

I nodded. “The sub.”

The man sucked in his lips and looked at the ground. “Coming here, one of the van flipped on the roads. The boy didn’t make it.”

A pain struck my chest, it left me froze. I let out a quivering breath. “Where?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. We stopped at a motel. The other dominants didn’t show until for a couple days. They said there was an accident, and the omega was killed.”

I covered my mouth, breathing heavily. My mind was spinning. It might not be him though. This wolf might not be Shiloh, but every instinct told me it was him. It was my mate, my beautiful little mate.

I was too late.

Almost, I almost had him, but I wasn’t fast enough. I failed.

“Ranger?”

I knocked Daven’s hand away. “I need to be alone.” I marched out of the shed and headed for the road.

“Ranger!” yelled Daven. “Ranger, wait.” He chased me down and grabbed my arm.

I jerked it free.

“Ranger, what happened? Tell me what happened.”

“He’s dead!” I snapped as the tears began to form. “Shiloh’s dead.” I sat on my heels, and took in shaky breaths. “West was taken away to be someone mate,” I breathed. “Shiloh was in a wreck coming here.” I covered my eyes. “He’s dead.”

Daven stood in silence at my side. My heart was breaking. My wolf was overcome with grief. I needed to run. I needed to let it mourn, before it consumed me.

“I-I need to go.” I stood and took off my shirt. The cold air hit my skin, and it felt good. Anything to numb the pain.

“Where will you go?”

I shook my head as I took of the remainder of my clothes. “To find it. I’ll find where they left him.” Shifting to my wolf, I dropped to all fours and raced off into the trees.

I’d find where they hid my mate in the snow. Then I’d go for the people responsible and kill them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 7K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...
926K 46.1K 188
Almost two centuries had passed since vampires emerged from the shadows. After declaring themselves as the dominant species and for all humans to be...
445K 19.8K 27
~BOOK 1 Saviour series ~ **UNDER RECONSTRUCTION** Not everything is as it seems. Evan has never been loved, never been cared for. He has always been...
8.1M 355K 66
Throughout the whole of Evan's life, he was convinced he was a sinner. Raised by his psychotic brother who was the Alpha of his pack, Evan believes t...