Vigilante | knj • jjk • kth

Autorstwa epochbts

"I'm not letting you go. That'd be tantamount to losing my everything." ━━❪ knj ❫ "This is not a threat but a... Więcej

Introduction.
Trailer.
Trailer 2.
Aesthetics / Gallery
Aesthetics / Gallery (II)
| 1 |
| 2 |
| 3 |
| 4 |
| 5 |
| 6 |
| 7 |
| 8 |
| 9 |
| 10 |
| 11 |
Cover & Questions?
| 13 |
| 14 |
| 15 |
| 16 |
| 17 |
| 18 |
| 19 |
| 20 |
| 21 |
| 22 |
| 23 |
| 24 |
| 25 |
| 26 |
| 27 |
| 28 |
| 29 |
| 30 |
| 31 |
A minor edit (all readers please read)
| 32 |
| 33 |
| 34 |
| 35 |
| 36 |
| 36.5 |
JJK
| 37 |
| 38 |
KNJ
KTH

| 12 |

529 52 69
Autorstwa epochbts

| Chapter Twelve |
[13k words]
A/N: Sometimes I feel like I use too many gifs/pics but whatever 😳 i know some people find long chapters hectic but oopsie.

--------

"Jungkook," she whispered, but it wasn't easy to wake someone up so hesitantly. Not when he seemed to have a hard time even breathing: completely overwhelmed by something else in his nightmare and she knew all too well that it was what a trauma does to one. "Jungkook, you're having a —" she glanced over her shoulder and thankfully the librarian had her earphones in, "— you're having a nightmare. Jungkook, wake up."

Soyun got us from her seat quietly to go over to him. She gently shook his shoulders a few times until he actually woke up, eyes snapped wide with cold sweat glazing his profile.

"Are you... are you all right?" she asked quietly, sitting down. Her heartbeat unknowingly quickened from watching, "You look pale too."

His eyes blinked a few times, still feeling dizzy and the sunlight peeking from the windows irritated his head even more. She stood up and blocked it.

"You —" he gently put away her hand before she was going to stroke his back and sighed hoarsely, "I'm okay."

She nodded and just went along with it, still sitting beside him and facing him. Anyone could tell that he was shaken up. She watched with a concerned look as he wiped his sweating, pale face with his hands, then his hands over it for several heavy seconds.

"Uh, I said I'm okay." he turned to her, his elbows still on the table as his other hand covered his hot forehead, "So, why are you still staring? Did I snore too loud?"

"What? No," she stuttered, eyes darting around the library when his gaze lingered on her, "You were mumbling things in your sleep."

His brows twitched and she felt weirdly intimidated, expecting a possible snap... but the atmosphere changed completely when he just chuckled. A breathy laugh. He was still ragged by his sleep or the nightmare from the nap; it felt like he was covering for something with the dashing facade.

"What kind of things? Did I cuss at Yoongi or Yugyeom?" he shifted a little in his seat and his boots tapped the floor, "I thought I stopped doing that and started snoring instead, honestly —"

"No, you probably had a nightmare." she said flatly or accidentally, "Is something wrong —?"

She drew away by an inch, slightly caught off-guard, surprised when Jungkook gazed darkly into her face. Soyun could only stare back wordlessly and felt her own breath held then.

"Forget whatever you heard." he said, getting up and she frowned slightly as he did. There were clear hints of frustration in his sigh. Was he that cautious about what he could've muttered in his sleep? He raised his brows first before going, surveying her face again, "Make sure to forget. Anyways, I'm heading to the restroom."

She just stared as he left her confused at the table, her eyes still following him until his back disappeared behind the door.

"Whoa. What was that?" she breathed out quietly, feeling dumbfounded. How was he so sure that whatever she overheard could be something personal that he'd prefer hiding? It was as if he definitely has had these nightmares before and them being brought up.

Left alone, she looked around the library. The dawn was rising outside and the warm rays of morning sunlight finally hit the table through the window glass. The morning mist draping the panes was lessening at its own pace and she could see students starting to fill the campus area outside.

•••

Seokjin yawned as he pulled down the window shades, relaxing himself back in his seat. The rising sun was too annoying for his sleepy eyes at the moment. Hyowon was about to fall asleep and the rest of the passengers were already back to the calm silence of the plane. Namjoon took out a newspaper from the seat's pocket to stay up for a bit longer.

As he expected, the media was already talking about the incident yesterday.

Taehyung sat beside Jimin in the business class seats with a light sigh.

Jimin looked over to him after fixing the bendable seat for himself, "You put it on him?"

"Yeah." nodded Taehyung.

"Nice. Hoping it will go unnoticed for the rest of its time." smiled Jimin, "So how's your first impression of the NIS up-close?"

"Nothing impressive." the guy shrugged and plugged in an earbud, leaning his head back comfortably in his seat. He wasn't hoping to hear anything interesting or expecting any useful slip-ups from NIS agents but listened.

Namjoon's voice on the other side went through his ear calmly, "Hyowon-nim, do you think it's possible that the mafia might be ahead of us?"

"It's very possible to be honest. I've been thinking about their motive for killing Bang..." Hyowon sat up, asking for a plug from a flight attendant as he rubbed his own neck. "Picking a fight with us, it's odd. The Mafia never struck me as the kind of lot Bang usually attracts. The mole inside of NIS is a case too... We've confirmed that our head chief's assassination was their work but the question is,"

"...whyyy." yawned Seokjin.

"We still have to look into the ones who went with Bang to Italy. Thankfully for us though, these types of information are always saved." said Hyowon. The hostess gave him a plug for his laptop, since only that way would he be able to use it in flight.

Sitting a divider away from the other two, he got up for a moment to pass the laptop over with the plug. Namjoon placed it on his lap and sighed softly.

"What's the matter?" Seokjin asked, finding his lack of enthusiasm fishy.

"Nothing. I just thought that these kind of stuff could've already been breached a long time ago." Namjoon said casually as he opened and looked through an important file related to their job, scrolling down with his cheeks rested on his palm.

"Still, we haven't had time to really check on it. To make it worse, everyone on the list disappeared off the world's surface while the rest are buried under." Seokjin laughed half-heartedly.

Taehyung turned to Jimin who had been eagerly waiting to know if he heard anything interesting or worth telling.

"So, how is it?" Jimin asked.

"Everyone with us made sure their backgrounds were completely cleaned up —"

"The mafia is one tricky bunch. I've discussed this with Seojoon last night and explained to Hyowon-nim by text. If we're believing my theory," Namjoon began grimly and the fast keyboard sounds cut off Taehyung for a moment, "The ones killed by poisons. They're the faked corpses. I wonder where they are now..."

"You sound very confident with your guts," Seokjin shrugged calmly, leaning back in his seat.

"I was making shit up at first." chuckled Namjoon. Hyowon sighed and Seokjin smirked as he closed his eyes; there was an air of calmness mixing with the grim hums, all three of them were familiar with Namjoon being this helpful. Hyowon only eyed the laptop screen.

Taehyung frowned slightly as he held out an earbud for Jimin. He felt suspicious when it went silent or why the quick shift in the atmosphere...

"So, how's it looking for us?" Seokjin asked, leaning his back against the window shades instead. Namjoon didn't reply. He tensely narrowed his eyes, set upon the screen again and on the inbox button. "You said you contacted the ones who handled the corpses last night. Have they responded yet?"

"Hold on," Taehyung muttered to himself, suddenly tense although he didn't stir, "I could've made a mistake. But never mind..."

"What's the matter?" Jimin asked. He could tell when Taehyung was worried from even his most impassive look.

The chatters on the other side quietened down and they heard relieved sighs.

"If I had panicked last night, I could've given away Seojoon." he explained calmly, "I guess I didn't expect Kim Namjoon to look into everything he said in the car as soon as he got home. I'm forgetting that the NIS's late head chief had connections in Italy too. It's fine though, I only told them to keep quiet and expect investigators. Didn't spill any blood."

"Ah, but I don't have to worry about your disguise last time right? You were one of the guys who died from poison." laughed Jimin quietly, putting on his sleeping mask.

"Yeah, I changed my looks and personality for it." replied Taehyung. The flight attendants were moving around to bring breakfasts to the passengers and he was not paying attention to the agents' conversation anymore, "Can't say the same for Seojoon if he's found out though."

"Thank god," Seokjin breathed out dramatically when the inbox sent to them reported that there was no unusual happenings, unusual happenings as in irregular movements and people around the morgue. "I can't believe I was anxious. I mean, no way it's Seojoon."

"Still, we wouldn't be able to find out if the mafia decided to just talk it out. Like us, they can't take action that quick unless they don't care about blowing a cover. Not that I think one of us would randomly come out as a double-agent though." Hyowon said seriously.

Namjoon thought of what Soyun asked him a few days ago, "Right. But there is one, said Bang himself... And we know that these moulage artists don't really need to come out of their places for the mafia to reach them easily the first time."

"So what about the autopsies? The hospital really didn't do anything?" asked Seokjin as they had their food. Namjoon hadn't moved his fingers away from the keyboard yet, so his friend supposed he was still working on something. However, he still turned to the hostess politely, effortlessly exuding charm as he asked for his plate (although they already ate). Suddenly he gasped to the edge of his seat, "Namjoon, don't tell me the police in Italy had a hand in this. No way they let such murders off."

"I mean," Hyowon pondered on his bibimbap, relatively calm because he was eating again. "Well, it was our case..."

"Which they naturally would, and usually should at least look into since it's in their area."

Namjoon didn't say anything between them. The young man he saw earlier still had not left his mind, strangely and Soyun's words kept drawing with thin lines.

Jimin returned his earbud to Taehyung who then kept it out to not hear Seokjin's quarreling voice. He stared at him and his rice, "You said you'll eat on the plane? You haven't touched your food yet."

The flight attendant who earlier had seen Taehyung smile radiantly by the toilet before the take-off might've unintentionally felt alarmed by the drastic contrast in his semblance now; Jimin gave the hostess a polite crescent-eyed smile to gesture a dismissal since Taehyung didn't comment, just reading a magazine without a word or a glance to anything else.

"Haneul's men haven't given us anything and they're just thrown into jail like that." Seokjin grumbled again, "Anyways, have they looked into what's in the underground base?"

"There were traces of grenade the in the underground floor and although far away from the crime scene, they found a torn pin terribly hidden among the weeds. The criminals were in a hurry to run away." said Namjoon pensively. "Yeonjun and Sana think that the recordings from the cameras surrounding the place there at around 2 to 4 PM were slightly..." he clicked his tongue, "...off."

Both Seokjin and Hyowon looked over. The skies outside were gradually brightening as the plane passed by clouds and the view below had turned from speck of lights to dim-coloured building tops which appear like squares.

"Seojoon was with Yeonjun at the time and pointed it out that at about 4 o' clock from this place, he thought he saw some men. After some identifying through the collected DNA of the victims —" Namjoon pushed his plate with his elbow to Seokjin who was just happy to get more food, "Chimera. They attacked Haneul. Not a surprise."

Seojoon pointed it out, huh.

He decided to not dwell on it much, his own suspicions of his chauffeur's behaviour yesterday and just shook his head to himself.

"No, it isn't. But I wonder," Hyowon mused.

"Yeah, who survived the blast and shrapnels to have the luck of hiding the pins with this discretion?" Seokjin licked the sauce off his lips, rubbing his chin with his thumb when they noticed: the image on their screen showed a destroyed computer room. There were crumbled pebbles and dried blood all over the place that activated an immediate avert reflex. He grimaced, "Oww. The shrapnels must've all hit the dudes down there directly. Not a very nice end."

"That's odd. Chimera isn't the kind of group to have grenades. They hate Haneul so much to that point... that we know of from their past fights in the north." Hyowon added observantly as he read other newspapers in his hand, still listening to what the other two were discussing. "Namjoon, what do you think —?"

"Is Soyun still in the campus at the moment?" Namjoon asked and both of them blinked.

Taehyung momentarily paused, frowning as he forked a slice of beef.

"But Namjoon, the place, uh —" Hyowon whispered hesitantly and Seokjin added, "You think she's okay with it? Grenade stuff and all that, y'know?"

However, Namjoon wasn't listening. He closed the tab on the screen and switched to another application. The flight attendants seemed to not mind their busy looks since they weren't making any noise; they were in informed about who they were but at least found it very untypical of government officials. The other passengers couldn't listen in even if they weren't passed out — "Geun and the other guys are already looking into the other parts of the base —"

"Soyun is the best at visualizing crime scenes, so." Namjoon continued softly without turning from the laptop, his calmness obscurely demanding their agreement. "I just sent her the images."

— as they were still professional, voices only catchable for those by their compartment and infiltrating.

"If you think she's okay with it, I guess?" Seokjin said.

The confirmation button was pressed and the mail was sent with a silenced sound. There were still about six or five more hours to relax in the airplane. Taehyung and Jimin remained silent, either listening or truly uninterested, but Namjoon still wasn't aware of the bug placed on him.

"I'll just tell her that it's for evaluation as I'm her mentor and she'll do it." he chuckled confidently and shut the laptop, "We'll wait for after she takes back her phone from the office."

•••

Still hung up over what happened this twilight, Soyun occasionally snaffled some glances across the lecture hall. He seemed even livid except it didn't have to show on his face for him to come off that way; she heard around the corridors that Jeon Jungkook had randomly picked a fight with his Ethics professor. She didn't know in what way though because even if she had been taking notes of the 'smart' students in the university, Jungkook was a very notable one whom she just hadn't have a chance to talk with until the recent bombing incident. He wouldn't pick a fight for no reason but who knows? It was lunch time for her now, her timetables finally free but she was writing on the cafeteria's table. There were assignments to catch up on.

"He doesn't strike me as that kind of student," she laughed quietly beside Jeongyeon, sitting next to the windows. Nayeon was just eating her own lunch. "Did he not do an assignment or something trivial like that? We had personal problems —"

"Nah, his friends said never something like that." Jeongyeon shook her head and Soyun just listened as she drank from her straw, "Something like he kept getting on the professor's nerves, I think? Because he chimed in during his lectures too much."

"More like argued," said Nayeon, pausing to gulp her rice. "He debated for real with the teacher. They said he's never been that worked up on something in Ethics even if his mind is like great."

Soyun shrugged to herself and closed her book to finally touch her meal, grabbing the chopsticks. She looked around the cafeteria. A lot of students were there but it wasn't as filled, and maybe she wanted to find the guy the question but he was nowhere.

"Yeah, he's probably not eating."

"SNU's cafeteria is expensive though." she chuckled to cover for her pensiveness. She didn't find his sudden pervading grey ambience out of the ordinary but wondered what could've fazed someone like him. Even earlier this morning, he actually looked serious about it.

An Ethics class. I wonder.

Knowing the subject, she could make a few guesses what he could've been arguing about with his professor.

"Maybe something just shifted for him today." she muttered under her breath as her friends continued eating.

"Still can't believe you can live without your phone, Soyun." said Jeongyeon as she scrolled on her own phone, just catching up on her feed and seeing the same tweets of the shocking incident yesterday.

"The teacher brought up something about yesterday's news." said Nayeon and Soyun almost choked. Maybe if she was there too, she would've had some opinions but not sure about a whole argument with a professor — "Eunwoo said Jungkook's marks are safe though. The professor probably was just shocked that he was still going at it even after he was settling for truce."

"It wasn't that heated of an argument right?" she raised her brows. It was odd that she didn't see him during Law lecture too.

•••

Honestly, Seoul National University was a city in itself with how large the campus is. Forget finding Jungkook, she couldn't even find herself on the map even when she knew every area. It was noon though so she made an assumption that maybe he had gone ahead to the bar. There was probably not enough reason to stick around her as she herself was pretty capable, and Jungkook probably wouldn't like being ordered around much.

So she didn't expect to see him sitting on a bench along the pavements on her way to the main gate by himself. He seemed very affected by this morning. His face was kissed by the noon sunlight as he drained a can of coke with his phone in his other hand, sitting on the bench but facing the field of the university's main stadium behind him. His fluffy waves of dark chestnut brown hair were messy like he just ran a marathon.

"Jungkook —!" she called him loudly on purpose but to her surprise, he wasn't even startled; he caught her wrist before she could wave beside him or give a pat on the back, and she felt slightly embarrassed. "You knew I was staring?"

"I could see from my phone's screen." he explained lazily, still staring at SNU's big field.

"Are you all right?" Soyun took a seat beside him slowly, apprehensive without realizing it. There were shouts of athletes practicing from the field.

"Yeah, my head just hurts a bit." he shrugged, sitting properly now. "By the way, were you late for your lecture?"

"Nope."

"Why did you wait for me anyway?" he placed his foot on his thigh and turned to her.

"I mean, it'd be awkward if I left you behind after what you said at the library. Didn't want to feel like we argued, because we didn't." she said. She couldn't just do that, even moreso when something seemed to be clawing at him, the usually cocky vigilante.

"I see," he jutted his pout and nodded to the side. She looked around. Students were still moving around the campus to head to their lecture buildings. They were just sitting on the bench, "So..."

"I didn't see you eat." she said first.

"It doesn't mean I didn't eat. The cafeteria can be expensive bro you know that." he chuckled.

"We'll eat somewhere else then." she said and got up. He stared at her for a few seconds. She sighed, "What? I'm not going to poison you with the food. Let's go —"

"What? I'm not that untrusting, I mean..." he scowled and sighed quietly, scratching the back of his ears.

"My treat." she said and he got up at once with his bag over his shoulder.

"Should've said that first."

"You treat your friend like this?" she huffed in a light manner.

"We didn't meet in normal circumstances, if you forgot. I literally saved you from an explosion on an educational museum trip."

"Right." she snorted as they started walking down the paths.

"And there was a nice fight." he added smugly.

The campus was peaceful and they calmly stayed natural at the news reporting the incident they had a hand in; the mass bomber's underground base was finally being looked into after its discovery. There were students around the noticeboard and the wallscreen.

The two of them were on their way to the same cafe they were at a few days ago. It was lively downtown, with the cars passing by on the road to their right and some stores to their left, completely peaceful; if she hadn't recognized the car parked beside the sidewalk as Seojoon's, then maybe it would've been the same for Jungkook.

It would be lunchtime now and her instincts were telling her that Seojoon either could be by himself at their same destination or with a few more colleagues. Anyway, that could put them in a bad spot.

"Uh, I recognize a car."

He turned to her, still walking through the small crowd relaxedly.

"And?"

"From the NIS. One of my colleagues is probably in the cafe."

They were already at the cafe's doorstep when Jungkook's phone was rang by an unknown number and the bell was ringing above their heads. Seojoon, Sungdeuk, Soobin and Hyungsik turned around from their table. She sighed to herself.

"You should've told me that sooner." Jungkook hissed under his breath as they had no choice but to take the greetings when Sungdeuk waved at Soyun. Her eyes couldn't help but notice Seojoon and Hyungsik gasping silently over the other two's shoulders.

What's with them?

Reading and sensing something different with their gestures, Soyun found them a bit off since the two weren't the type to gossip like Sana.

"Oh! Didn't expect to see you here, Soyun." Sungdeuk said and Jungkook stayed behind her to sigh and cuss out his fate discreetly.

"Soobin's here too?" she said as she was naturally dragging her own legs to go over to their table.

"Perfect timing." the younger agent clapped his hands together and looked slightly dishevelled, been working overnight in the office, and he had a laptop on the table — "Wait, who's this?"

"Jeon... Jeon Jungkook," Jungkook smiled; the waiter already offered them some extra seats to sit with the NIS agents and he politely chuckled. Soyun noticed that he didn't accept his caller, his phone off. "It's fine. We'll sit at the table over there. It'd be too cramped if —"

"Why, we don't mind. Soyun, you can bring him to sit with us." insisted Sungdeuk who was definitely unaware of his little cautiousness of government officials.

"Didn't expect to see them together again." laughed Hyungsik. Sungdeuk just mailed Namjoon again.

Both Namjoon and Taehyung frowned slightly at the thought, respectively staring at a screen and listening into their conversation, "Right. Were they always close?"

"Sana must've said something." Soyun chuckled. She frowned slightly inward, certain that Hyungsik had never known or seen Jungkook with her in any instances before to comment. "But it's really okay, we'll sit over there."

She noticed Jungkook similarly curling his brow at the NIS colleague with the subtlest hint of suspicion until she assumed it could be Sana's words going around.

"All right then." said Sungdeuk.

Both of them went to the same spot by the windows and quietly let out sighs with Soyun discreetly glancing over to their table. It seemed like they were discussing something before they tuned in. She reckoned it could be about work.

"You had a call to take. It was someone from the hideout, wasn't it?" she asked after putting her bag to the side.

He replied, "Yeah. I'm excusing myself for a second —"

"I already know the people you're calling though." she frowned slightly.

"I prefer a more secluded alley," he moved a bit.

"And who's going to watch your back when you're on phone?" she raised a brow, genuinely speaking from a few years of experiences.

He just smirked.

"Had that kind of experience too did you? I'm okay though, because I'm Jeon Jungkook." he said, getting up as his fingers dialled someone and headed to the backdoor of the cafe again.

"Wow." she shook her head, speechless. Finding his confidence amusing though, she couldn't help but chuckle to herself afterwards. "Why am I even surprised though?"

Seojoon and Hyungsik weren't attentive to their colleagues at the moment, gaze following Jungkook as he walked away from Soyun's table. They weren't sure though if Jungkook's flat gaze meant anything; he had been looking at the both of them when they were greeting each other earlier. It felt almost dumbfoundering for the thought to even pass, that he could smell the dirty blood or Taehyung's mafia aura leaking from them. It felt like something to be cautious of since they knew who were with Soyun, Taehyung and Jimin yesterday.

•••

"Soobin sent a mail." said Seokjin and Namjoon who he thought had been sleeping casually opened his eyes, already on the edge of the seat to his startlement.

"A-YO JOON, WHAT THE FUCK?"

"Keep it down."

Hyowon pretended to not be with them, sighing in his sleep on the compartment next to them and apologized to the nearby passengers.

"Damn NIS..." Taehyung groaned groggily, forcing himself to wake up after the noise. Jimin was soundly asleep. He still ignored the request for connection on Jimin's laptop screen, focusing on eavesdropping.

"They met Soyun at a cafe for lunch and can ask her to look into what we gathered but there's a civilian with her." Namjoon read quietly, typing: "She can still do it. Just don't be afraid to try working outside and make sure they're not the provocative ones. Who's with her? Have you told them anything?"

"It's the classmate who was with her during the museum bombing in Daegu." Seokjin hummed to himself relaxedly since he was letting Namjoon take over but his calm gaze then was replaced with a curious frown, his voice in a whisper tone as he spoke, "Right, the guy I thought was familiar."

Namjoon and Hyowon shrugged off his suggestions and waited for response; Taehyung's eyes shifted to the screen on his laptop and he accepted the call, changing an earbud. His sharpened gaze hadn't faded, "Seojoon, was that what you wanted to inform me?"

"The guy's already suspecting us for some reasons. The same guy with Shin Soyun when you encountered her yesterday, right?" Seojoon replied calmly. On the outside, Hyungsik's chat with the other agents made his subtle lip movements unnoticed.

Taehyung didn't answer but he recalled something when Seojoon felt see-through. Something Jungkook said...

"I don't know who you are or what you are, but something about you smells like a criminal."

He remained poised before he chuckled quietly: "I don't know what kind of sixth sense he has, but becareful."

Off-call, his gaze darkened. No one in the plane would ever want to know that a mafia leader was on board with them, wearing a look of someone with a set prey.

"Soyun seems pretty close with the guy now though. And he already knows about her being an agent so it should be fine." he heard Hyowon say and once again felt strangely curious, at discomfort or crossed but not because Soyun was going to make a conclusion of what happened at the crime scene when she was there herself, met him and all.

•••

"You're at a cafe? Having some nice time aren't you?" said Yoongi into the phone and Jungkook scratched his ears as he leaned against the wall beside the door, just so he could use the random standing mirror on his right to look around.

"So what did you call for, hyung?" he asked over the kitchen noises.

"Tell Soyun about this too, by the way." Yoongi said, "It would be a matter of time until Haneul blows up another thing. I think we've irked him enough."

"Thanks for reminding." He grimaced grimly and looked around the empty alley. It was quiet at the back of the cafe — "So, any way to know what could be his next dynamite?"

"No, but —" there were people passing by and Jungkook looked over his shoulder to peek at Soyun who at the time was heading over to her colleagues but he didn't feel suspicious about it. He held not much suspiciouns toward her after some time. Yoongi was talking, "— I guess it's good to have you around her for now but it could also be pretty bad. We can assume Haneul already knows that we were one of the people who infiltrated his underground base yesterday."

"And a few of them can recognize me because of Joong Gi that one time." he laughed darkly.

"It was dark in that building that time though so it's a gamble. But more importantly, Hui Su is in a tight spot, Jungkook. I'm passing the phone to Hyuka now," said Yoongi and there was a pause.

Jungkook put away the phone from his ear for a second, his gaze turning solemn.

Soyun sat down with her colleagues and wasn't surprised that it was Namjoon's order somehow when he was supposedly in an airplane.

"So he wants me to do this again?" she chuckled calmly through the nervous pit in her stomach. She would know too much about what could've happened at the scene but she couldn't get out of the situation without an excuse.

"Before that, see this." Soobin nodded and passed her a piece of paper. Sungdeuk and Hyungsik were eating their food and she took the report, "Geun ordered the luminol test in the computer-filled room and they found that their DNA matched some identifiable mobs in our list. But one didn't —"

"Really?" she frowned slightly, tone indicating pensiveness but she knew it was Taehyung's. He was shot once yesterday.

"And they found that the blood also had small traces in the elevator after the luminol test. The same unmatchable DNA."

"The culprit got away after being shot." she said as Hyungsik turned the laptop for her. For some reasons, he felt off. Was it because of the odd colour blending of his black earbud? And it was only on one side. She turned to the screen after glancing at Jungkook who was still on the phone outside, "How many times do I have to say that my theories are sometimes weird?"

"You helped us out thrice with this method." said Sungdeuk lightly and Hyungsik gave a nod.

Seojoon noticed the silence on the other side and sighed, scratching his ear and putting away the small chip from his earbud discreetly. Soyun's gaze followed how he brought his hand into his pocket but ignored it; apparently there had been one camera which didn't get caught up in the blasts. Luckily, it was the other side where the third party came in through.

"These are Chimera." Stupid people who don't even realize a camera was recording them. She sighed silently, "These are the ones we identified," she clicked to see the other pictures; Hyungsik did the same thing Seojoon did and she assumed Jungkook had one very long call. "This other room is where the vigilantes got all the info from, huh. So they came in through the hole above this shelf."

"Oh," Soobin said.

You were there, of course you know. Hyungsik just stayed low, "Do you think the vigilantes and Chimera were working together?"

"No. I doubt the vigilantes would work with criminals. And this short recording shows that there's confusion when they came in. As if they didn't expect to see some of Haneul's men already knocked out. Moving on to the corridors... You said Hong's room was destroyed by a blast?"

"Yeah."

"I have no idea how both of these parties had any idea there was such a place underground." Seojoon said as he was obviously observing Jungkook from afar. Soobin got curious too as it seemed. "What do you think about the guy who got away?"

"Was it possible to do a DNA or luminol tests in other rooms? What about Hong's?" she asked then.

"Yes, Dohyeong said there were two DNA we couldn't match with any of our suspects."

"It could be the vigilantes or someone else, but in this case I think it's not. If it was the vigilantes, Hong's room would be filled with bullets. So it wasn't them. I have a feeling that these," she waved the tiny DNA test vials, squinting at the screen again, "has a better connection to Hong than we can imagine. Sitting around with him drinking wine," she showed the pieces of glass and the recognizable label on the screen after a sharp visual-searching, "and chatting as one of them went around the room to touch vases..."

"But are these people with Hong or not?" Sungdeuk pondered pensively while Soobin just clapped, looking impressed.

"I thought yall were kidding about her visualisation game." Hyungsik laughed but he and Seojoon were slightly curious... It felt like even if she had not been there by herself, she would've still been able to uncover this much.

"Soyun, your friend over there looks pretty tough." Seojoon murmurred quietly as he slurped his drink.

"He looks built, you're right. He knows some martial arts. He told me that he practises Taekwondo and I've seen him. He's pretty good," chuckled Soyun, nothing out of the ordinary. She was doing pretty good in her opinion but she wondered what was Jungkook on phone about. To add some realism, she whispered, "Don't tell him I said that though. Pretend I never did."

"Why not? I'm sure he'd like compliments from NIS agents." Sungdeuk smiled. Seojoon seemed more amused than he ought to be. "I'd love to see that if what you're saying is true."

She chuckled nervously. She doubted that the vigilante would like being assumed as someone who considered praises from the NIS to be honouring. The table was loud but at least not when they would mention the 'NIS' parts and stuff from work. A waitress was standing by her and Jungkook's table and noticing it, Soyun politely gestured her to just place Jungkook's order and her tea on their table.

"Is he better than me though? Qualified to be one of us?" Hyungsik joked and Soobin laughed.

She couldn't imagine Jungkook as an NIS agent, not at all. Although it would sound quite dashing.

What am I

She cleared her throat quickly, pulling their attention back to the laptop.

"Back to our discussion — Right, let's see. These people were in the computer room. The spilt blood was theirs. There's the bullet... One of them was shot... There's a hole above the the data-filled room's floor "

Wait.

She had to swallow within a short pause for thankfulness and relief that her hair loss had decreased the past few days. The infiltration really could have risked the NIS discovering her that she was breaching her job contract.

"— But Chimera went to other corridors and floors to find Hong So the person who blew up the floor, yall said the room belonged to Haneul's men themselves... There are more than two parties infiltrating this underground base. Chimeras, definitely Hope and another group that we don't have any info on. And this other group got away with Hope after stealing some information from the computer whose monitor was still spiking off electricity the moment our agents check down there. But we can't be sure..."

Soobin had already sent Namjoon the email recording down what she just babbled out as they hung out in the cafe like some policemen.

"We'll make-do with what we have as of now. Stealing information from Haneul... I wonder what Hope got from the computers?" Sungdeuk pondered thoughtfully. "It seems that they left out something."

"Our methods coincide." Soyun said calmly.

"More than ten kills at once. Almost destroyed all the evidence we could gather too. But thanks to you, our suspect list became longer in a good way."

•••

"Could be my ruin or my hope?" chuckled Jungkook. The sneering and almost cold flicker in his eyes were something Jackson and Hyuka could picture. He paused before smiling, "Even you can be dramatic too sometimes huh, Hueningkai-ah? Was Hoseok-hyung the one who imple —"

"I heard you calling Yoongi-hyung about a headache this morning. Sounded pretty serious." Hueningkai said.

His gaze toned down and he sighed.

"I was just a bit shaken up, all right? Don't worry about me —"

"The last time you got shaken up, you went berserk." Yoongi cut in and before Jungkook could reply sharply, he warned him, "Don't get too carried away before anything even happens."

His smile dropped again. Jungkook looked over his shoulders again to look back at the cafe and pursed his lips silently, his gaze on Soyun as he held the phone close.

"I'm pretty calm though?" he scoffed under his breath, casually turning off the phone. "These two think of me too badly like I'm some sort of a problem child, what the hell —?"

His eyes widened: he had been off his guard and barely dodged someone who meant to run into him in the alley. He saw something fly out of the passerby's hand when Soyun came out of the backdoor at the right time — "Hold the fuck up, in broad daylight?"

The kitchen door was closed and no one inside realized yet what just happened except for the two of them, and there were no cameras around; Soyun had wanted to call him back in since their orders were on the table but sprinted when she saw someone about to pass him.

"What did I say about watching your back?!" she scowled and a chip clattered onto the ground; she held the unknown man against the wall and Jungkook got out of his reverie to come over — "Now, who are you?"

She was serious but Jungkook casually approached with a whistle when his eyes noticed something. "Eight-winged moth tattoo. In broad daylight, wow."

She yelped when the guy struggled to get out of his locked position and Jungkook was kicked on the stomach before she could hope he'd take over; there was a loud sound of glass in boxes breaking when he was pushed aside — "Don't let him get away! Don't let that suspicious guy get away!"

"Of course I won't!"

Both of them were sure they were going to go after the assassin but they unconsciously held each other back when they heard Sungdeuk, Seojoon and Hyungsik coming over to the backdoor; tensing up because they weren't sure of what to do and explain later — "Wait never mind, don't — maybe not, wait uh —" she quickly grabbed a newspaper from the floor to pick up the chip from earlier and he pulled her back again, eyes anxiously glacing at the door.

"— my identity is on the line here. The guy targeted me." he explained closely and she was confused with being pulled back before she was even in action.

"Right, right let's not —" she held herself back with slight difficulty, looking over her shoulder since it seemed like Sungdeuk thought the noise came from the kitchen for a moment but the attacker was already getting away — "Damn, he's quick on his feet."

Jungkook probably didn't want NIS agents asking him why someone had wanted to assassinate him. He groaned when he realized they already lost the unknown attacker anyway.

"But it was Haneul's for sure."

"Okay okay, but is this really okay with you?" she asked tensely, eyes still hung up on searching for the assailant who had disappeared from their sight. "Why did I stop?"

"More importantly, I'm glad I'm still alive in front of you after that stupid carelessness." he sighed and was looking around the back alley, still holding her elbows and she was still tugging onto his black cardigan until the door behind them burst open — "Oh right," to both of them quickly releasing each other.

Seojoon's eyes landed on the broken glass bottles on the floor first before Hyungsik and Soobin gasped scandalously. She felt Jungkook's silent gaze remain on her for seconds but just watched Sungdeuk following after the other guys; Seojoon could guess there was almost a brawl from looking at the knocked boxes slumped against the walls.

"What happened, Soyun? We thought we heard you shout." asked Sungdeuk. No one noticed her pocketing the small chip earlier.

She glanced at Jungkook and he took over, casually making up a story that they were just startled by a motorcycle that went past them with a face calmer than she expected him to have; his intensity lowered slightly but she just knew he would've went after his attacker if not for the risk of being caught in the act. Although with more questions from Hyungsik and Soobin, it looked like it was only a matter of time until he cussed -

"Really? But that's still a bit dangerous. Did you get the plate number?" Sungdeuk asked seriously and Jungkook looked blank before snorting under his breath.

"Who could even catch —"

"Not everyone is like Namjoon, Mr. Son." sighed Soyun and gave him a look telling him to calm down. He just frowned and she pushed them to go back into the cafe again, "Forget it, sir it was just almost an accident. We're fine."

The chip in her pocket was giving her some apprehension but she and Jungkook didn't talk about it until they sat at their own table, ate their food and the NIS had left. They walked along the sidewalk not that far from the office building as he took the orange, dirty ripped newspaper tissue from her hand and stared at the small chip.

"Hmm... So what is this?" he sighed boredly while she was still apprehensive about maybe being shot from anywhere?

"You know, you could've just let me say that the guy aimed for me and your identity would still be safe —"

"How you gonna explain why you stopped going after him as an NIS agent?" He said and with playful mocking tone, "How incompetent."

"It doesn't matter to me."

"Okay but I'm used to this anyway." he said.

She didn't say it aloud but him walking her to her workplace was very reassuring. Even the comfortable silence. Maybe it was because he had the confident aura around him that was getting to her — was it after they talked in the campus?

"The guy could've known me. This reminds me of the breakout in the highway..." she said and be shook his head calmly.

"No. The tattoo I saw... This," he chuckled quietly in amusement and gestured her to follow him to crouch over the random drain at the park. He threw the chip and they watched it spark electricity, dissolving... "Cyanide? Wait... Potassium chloride, huh. A bold attempt to kill me. They won't leave even a single trace like sending someone with a tattoo if they were after you." he got up slowly, his tone certain and his gaze darkened, "Still, you should watch out too starting from now on."

Isn't he the one who didn't watch out for himself. "What're you going to do though?" she asked.

"Just telling my friends that I almost got killed, I guess?" he shrugged.

"By the way, I just lied to Seojoon saying you're good at Taekwondo and many martial arts back there to cover for you. Play along —"

"Really?" A smirk suddenly laced his lips, "Your subconscious self sure knows what's up."

"What?" she blinked.

"I am good at Taekwondo and martial arts, Soyun." he said.

"Oh, good for you. I haven't done any in a long while."

"That's all your reaction?" he frowned. She was enjoying nature's breeze since they were passing by a park; besides, she could've guessed that he was actually a pro in least one or two styles. He spaced out for a second.

"Well dang do you want me to ask you to show it right now?" she gave him a lazy look.

"Yes, in fact I do. Hold my bag,"

"Wait are you for real now —" she groaned inwardly and put down her books on the bench rather reflexively to catch his bag, realistically he should've put it there too but maybe he just had a thing for bothering her. It felt playful though. Her heart felt slightly weird when he made a 'come and get me' hand gesture to get her attention, and she knew her cheeks could've turned red.

"Allow me to introduce you to my recently-improvised ITF Taekwondo." he said.

"I'm looking. Go on," she chuckled awkwardly, Why am I even listening

But he just had to use a tree as his punchbag; as impressively quick and as strong as a kick could be, he was startled when birds cawed out of their nests and the empty but dusty bird nest literally fell on top of his head. She couldn't hold in her laughter at the comical event that just took place.

"My god, that was funny wasn't it?" she laughed, putting down his bag and walked over to the tree as he sheepishly climbed it to fix a still-attached nest, not knowing his hair was still messy.

"Ugh, it was just bad luck." he rolled his eyes. She felt somewhat endeared that he at least fixed the birds' nest but he was indeed shameless, doing whatever just unfolded within one minute in public. She was still giggling.

"You still got some straw in your hair," she said on her tippytoe to reach his height. He didn't break his stare as she put away the straw, he was studying her face — "Sorry?"

"Hm..." he raised a brow, "You got one in your hair too," he said. She felt his finger gently moving a lock and tucking it behind her ear.

"Really? I don't think I was ever close to the tree..." she frowned slightly, ruffling her own hair after he put his hands in his pockets.

"I just lied."

That self-satisfied smirk. He did it on purpose.

Wait. So he just wanted to —?

She just stomped her feet over to pick back up her books on the bench, ignoring how flustered she felt and how Jungkook still raising his brow at her with an air of superiority, "Put your bag on the ground next time."

"Your face is red. I wonder why?" he chuckled as he carried up his backpack.

Soyun could feel his warm breath lurking over her shoulders. She quickened her pace with her lips pressed together.

"You know what?" she inhaled, "Uh — never mind. Why did you — why do you even do this?"

She had mumbled under her breath and exhaled softly as they crossed the road, suddenly aware of her own nervousness.

"Why not?" he furrowed his brows playfully, his impish air growing by the second. He could still see the nervous flush on her cheeks. "Even you can get so flustered. We're good now."

"You mean 'embarrassed', then." she said.

"Ah, don't lie. I know my kick was great man I literally have black belt in Taekwondo." he chuckled again.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah you were so good if only a bird's nest didn't fall on you right after." she said and it did not seem to get under his skin at all with his current mood — or he was just unbothered in the core.

Suddenly, he stopped walking in the middle of the paths.

"By the way, thanks for treating me today."

She froze, not expecting the flat but sincere thanks. He didn't say it but perhaps he could guess that her intention behind the cafe treat was to cheer him up.

"At least the food was not poisoned." he added, smiling and they walked again.

"Of course it isn't." she nodded sarcastically, damn his ways of making fun of her, "Knew food was always good to cheer someone up. It worked a little when I tried to lift up my boss once."

But maybe he just pretended.

Namjoon was always keeping things to himself, and being so patient that she couldn't be sure how to tell his real feelings.

"Not really. What matters is the —" Jungkook looked around and stared at the office building across him, tilting his neck slightly. He retracted something he wanted to say. "Nevermind. We're here."

"Right. I have to take the phone now but..."

Before going, Soyun wasn't really sure of what to tell him. Being a vigilante, he probably was a cautious person most of the time with the exception of today.

"Watch your back." she said.

"Listen man, if your colleagues didn't come I would've fought and cornered the guy with ease." he said smugly and it reminded her again how unflappable he was, "You still have that tiny frown on you."

"All right, so I need to get my phone." she sighed softly; how curious it was to see someone like him, herself being someone constantly wary of being observed... Especially after his behaviour early this morning. She wondered what experiences moulded his versedness, his current self. To become a vigilante from being an ordinary civilian, one must have dealt with situations, and definitely not the everyday situations where you fight over parking spaces or trivial sibling quarrels. Like herself, somehow.

"See you tomorrow, then?" she said.

"Yeah." he gave a nod, his smile softer than before.

She smiled back before rushing into the building like she ever had anything to rush for. He could still see her checking in with her colleagues with a light air of familiarity.

A small smile made way onto his lips.

•••

April 25th 2019, 5:50 PM KST / 9:50 AM CET

(A/N: KST=South Korean Time zone, CET=Central European Time zone)

"We're finally out of the plane after eleven hours!"

Namjoon was on his phone and Hyowon looked away when Seokjin's sudden scream of liberation turned many heads toward them for a second. The handsome Korean man was energetic after his nine hours of nap on the plane.

"Rome's Leonardo Da Vinci Airport, huh. I'd love to visit this place for sightseeing instead of work next time." Namjoon said, picking up their luggages after pocketing his phone. The airport was busy as any other major international airports would be and they had to wait for their taxi outside. "Let's go outside. Dohyeong said we're accomodating at Hotel Forum."

"Near the Colosseum?" asked Seokjin excitedly. The shops there were pretty busy, keeping the city feel. "If you were less humble though, we could just ask for some discounted booking at Hotel Eden."

"Too luxurious. We don't want to be charged if anything breaks out." Namjoon chuckled, running his hand through his silvery blonde hair as they walked. His tall figure at first wasn't turning heads like Seokjin but maybe flipping tables, except that he was the one who clumsily walked one of his leg through a table leg and he immediately apologized to the airport staffs, nearby people and the like. His deep voice froze some though, "Mi dispiace."

"Sorry for him." Seokjin whispered in Korean with a wink and the three of them stepped outside the airport. "Wait, I forgot it's Italy.*

"It's all right."

"Of course it is, since my friend over here can speak like seven languages!" Seokjin smacked his back playfully and Namjoon didn't mind at all.

"We're both counting on you alone until Soyun helps out later, man. We're not the language experts." Hyowon said lightly as the news in the background played. It was about the Mafia but Namjoon felt that he shouldn't pass the seriousness to his colleagues too early.

"Ah, so Soyun learned Italian in the time I was aboard?"

"She was tricked and thought that it was actually necessary to learn at least five languages all because you joked with her that one time." Seokjin hummed knowingly.

"Oh? Well, shit. Now I feel a bit guilty." Namjoon chuckled but with amusement as they walked on, heading to the front of the airport.

They passed indoor stalls selling gelato and other Italian street foods. The skies outside were brightening, with warm rays of sunshine to greet them soon.

"I have to say though," he sighed softly, "sometimes I wish that she can take her mind off other things and just live freely without worries, even if it's boring."

"Even if she didn't aim to join us, she might still be going for careers with stuff like medical science or forensics though." said Hyowon.

"Then again," Namjoon smirked, "with her calibre of talents, she might just be in her element when with us."

Simply, the warm and chilly breeze of morning in Italy was a breathe of fresh air to the point they shortly forgot what they were there for. Hyowon and Seokjin huddled beside Namjoon to see his phone.

"It's 5:30 PM in South Korea now right?" Hyowon said as his eyes took in the new country's relatively brighter view. They were foreigners and it was honestly their first visit to Italy. There were people sitting on benches near the entrances with newspapers in their hands. He grimly mused after making out a headline from afar that read — "Kim Familia. They're somewhere in Italy."

"Is it really them though? Ugh, I hate my job." Seokjin grumbled.

"Tell the guys that we've arrived." Hyowon told Namjoon as he passed a lip balm to the other guy.

"Already did." Namjoon said. He then texted Soyun about it, who quickly replied.

"I've also just gotten back my phone. Have you guys rested on the plane or —?"

"We're finally going to take some rest. It doesn't feel like rest in the airplane sometimes, to be honest." Seokjin said, forgetting that Namjoon probably already had plans.

"You're always honest." Hyowon commented.

"It's barely 10 AM, my dear friend. And I think you've actually had enough rest on the plane," Namjoon said casually and they looked at him, "Yeah we're going to at least one destination first. After we check in at the hotel, we're heading to the morgue."

"Visiting cremains instead of the popular ancient sites, very exciting." Seokjin rolled his eyes.

"I'd like to visit them too sometimes but sadly, we came for work." said Namjoon. They were waiting for their taxi and he was listening to the news.

Several locals were tuning to the same news and they could sense fear and discomfort in the vicinity just from the way some lowered or shook their heads; whispering in their own language about the country's problems. As the news were broadcasting the odious event which took place just one day before they stepped on Italy's ground, Seokjin and Hyowon used their perceptiveness mentally to observe their surroundings while Namjoon was heeding every detail of the news to translate for them: "A gas leak in Trevi district yesterday at 6AM in the morning. Killed thirteen who are suspected to be mobs, injured about five mobs who got away in time and twenty civilians. The cause of the leak is said to be disruption in transportation."

"Trevi district near that Trevi fountain? Transportation of what I wonder?" Seokjin chuckled wryly, "Mobs killing mobs. We just had to come in this season..."

"This feels off to me." muttered Namjoon as his instincts ticked in, "The Italian police obviously have a little reason to work with us since it concerns a Mafia group, but with this lie? An accidental gas leak? Someone obviously meddled with the cargos as well."

Seokjin gave Hyowon a "Did he read local newspapers in the plane?" look to which the man responded with similar confusion, "Maybe? Since he's far already."

Taehyung and Jimin didn't pass them, but Jimin was sure Namjoon looked in Taehyung's way for a moment, his gaze a myriad of pensiveness that could petrify the average undercover criminal.

"Taehyung, wear your sunglasses." whispered Jimin calmly after Namjoon's field of vision was gradually blocked by the locals.

"What was the news about again?" asked Taehyung as he opened his chauffeur's car for himself without a greeting. Jimin smiled but the man in front shuddered.

"Now we know why the product sold to us was a defect," he gave a fake giggle, "they gave di Nuovo Sarin to someone else."

(A/N: I'm not Italian so the translations might sound really app-translated lmao. Nuovo=new, in this context I mean 'new edition')

"Not that it concerns us anymore now." said Taehyung calmly, staring at the city sidewalk as he put back on the uncomfortable earbuds. It was silent in the car — "Puoi parlare coreano ora?" (A/N: "Can you speak Korean now?")

The man nodded. Taehyung probably didn't recognize him and thought he had been one of his men before this.

"Nice. So how's the people doing at home?" asked Taehyung, and he heard the NIS agents getting into their car with Namjoon making casual chats with the driver — "I assume everyone got my message yesterday about the dieners?"

"His name is Giovanni," Jimin whispered purposefully aloud, "Read about him before this. Still new to the code of Omerta."

"Yes, boss. We've made arrangements and informed the dieners." Giovanni answered quietly, wary of the way Jimin was eyeing him but kept his composure.

"They better be as professional as we thought. If the NIS notices even the smallest hints of fabrication..." he just sighed softly when he looked at Jimin. "Anything else?"

"No," the guy replied and they moved through the highway with the relatively less luxurious car, "But there was a message from Unknown."

"What?" Jimin frowned slightly.

"What was it?" Taehyung asked.

Giovanni threw a letter over his shoulder and Taehyung caught it calmly, unfolding the content. His profile was eagle-sharp when he looked up from it but switched to Japanese, his tone grim and the air darkened.

"Haneul knows that the NIS is here."

Confused, the chauffeur just continued to drive and let his bosses talk in the language he hadn't learned, recognizing only the word 'NIS'.

"You were right then. One of Haneul's men is a mole in the NIS."

Taehyung wasn't listening to Jimin anymore, biting his lips in deep thinking... The letter was sent because he wasn't the only one who kept an eye on the dieners for fake corpses during his undercover mission in Italy; Haneul had Unknown watching them after their involvement, but thankfully only concluded that Taehyung and Jimin returned to Italy for simple cover-ups.

He read the letter again.

"We aren't sure if you'd take the offer but it doesn't matter for now. I only wanted to say that we're going to always welcome you with open arms. Anyways — we have something to do in Italy as well and were informed that you are back there too coincidentally. And apparently the NIS are on your tails. Good luck anyways."

His gaze narrowed at the next following paragraph.

"Have you seen the news by the way? The gas leak was by Branco. Contact him if you're up for the offer. He'll be on a mission to watch over the NIS. We're covering for you too this way :)"

•••

Soyun walked into her brother's room. It was time for them to switch in watching over Sungrok. At times like this, she felt empty. Seeing her sibling on the bed motionlessly, not hearing his annoyingly-familiar voice for two days... Maybe she just didn't appreciate his presence enough. Being a young adult with her own lengthy schedules was a problem. She was sure he too felt this at one point.

I just hope you're still there.

As long as he was breathing fine. Soyun exhaled softly, sitting on the couch next to her brother's bed. Even if he woke up and caught her teary eyes red-handed, she would not mind it. To just see him wake up and be certain that he was still alive and healthily able to keep going were everything she would risk even her life for right now.

After showering, she closed the window shutters and set up her laptop.

Soyun tied up her velvety long hair in a wavy ponytail and folded her sleeves back a little. Sometimes, she was modestly unmindful of her own good looks which wasn't surprising considering how she had no time to hear people's say on it.

"What the —?" her head ached she felt apprehensiveness coming from nowhere, searching for her phone.

She received notifications from Jungkook and Namjoon at the same time and just made a wry snicker when the vigilante sent a picture of himself packing his bags for a flight tomorrow.

"When's your flight again?" she asked him.

"Around the same time your boss went. Good luck~"

Additionally, the vigilante sent the text with a wink emoji —

"AH, RIGHT —"

She gasped aloud in realization before quickly switching to Namjoon's text.

"I almost forgot that I have to get a way to go to Italy, wait up — and wait up where was my other phone again?"

"♪ I know, 우린 사랑해서
We don't talk together ~"

She quickly picked up her phone and expected Namjoon's voice to ring through as she sat down before her laptop but there wasn't a single noise (A/N: we pretending her ringtone is Heize's song 'We don't talk together' which was produced by Yoongi lmao yupyup). She hurriedly moved away her takeaway food, frowning slightly.

"So have you guys arrived at the hotel —"

"MIGHT COME OFF AS A SHOCK OR SURPRISE TO YOU BUT — AGH!" Seokjin's scream rang out of the phone and she tensed quickly when there were tinklings of gas and gunshots; Seokjin and Hyowon pulled out their self-defense glocks, taking cover behind a rattling car as white smokes were coming out of the hotel building, the noon sunlight was barely penetrating. "But we're already under attack on day one and —" there were shouts and screams from nearby civilians and Seokjin took one enemy out, Hyowon quickly helped Namjoon up as more gun sounds echoed gratingly against the car's metal, "— Namjoon accidentally inhaled a little of the gas at the moment so we have to hurry the fuck up!"

She couldn't breathe and stood up at once, knocking off keys and spoons off the table impulsively. They were ambushed? Not only by guns but also by unidentified harmful gas? She couldn't speak when panic was constricting her lungs; there were harsh sounds of metal and people cussing in Italian on their side...

"Seokjin, i-is he okay?"

Pressing the phone to his ears as they rushed out riskily, Seokjin managed to give a "for now. Treatment should be given within ten minutes."

There was a clatter. Seokjin was switching magazines quickly, Hyowon forced down the car trunk to pull out their luggages. One bag definitely had the medicines and chemicals but she hadn't heard a word from Namjoon yet.

"...Something strange happened."

"What? Seokjin, what happened? Are you guys saved now?" Couldn't be the local police though, knowing that they were with Haneul; there was a slow stabbing pain in her head, this wouldn't have happened if she gave them some warning, and she could still give them now before any more ambush, but she couldn't even speak so let alone give a proper explanation.

"Yah, you guys are all right now, right?" she asked exasperatedly, worried.

"Yes we are. Someone killed the enemies for us, and I assume the bastards were the Mafia but I don't know who saved us. We," he groaned quietly and Soyun knew he was catching a breath from just the sound, "We are okay now though. But you won't be coming alone from what I see. We need reinforcements and more backups..."

The call was cut off.

•••

Her heartbeat was as thudding as her footsteps, panting as she rushed inside the NIS building late at night and she expected the business in the floors. Namjoon, Seokjin and Hyowon had informed the organization of the happenings and obviously, it was a nightmare to think of losing their soon-to-be head chief. Sungdeuk and Yeonjun spotted her at the entrance looking tense as they were. Sana was standing tensely over Hyungsik's shoulder, arms crossed or hugging herself, all heads were pensive.

"So did they book in another random hotel?" Soobin asked seriously, writing down as Yeonjun tried to exact their location.

"That's risky..." muttered Geun grimly, the side of his face sweating and the screens were light. "Honestly, everything's risky if you were attacked by the mafia first thing in your vacation..."

"So where are they?" Sana asked them, patting Soyun gently on the back. She knew she too had rushed to the office at the emergency call.

"They're trying to not be tracked. They've turned off the phones and everything for now..."

"Seokjin said something like gas," Soyun panted, "Not just guns, poison too..."

"Darn. We should've known that poisons are more popular these days than outdated guns." Seojoon grunted.

"Backups," said Dohyeong, one of the men who were borrowing their desks. "We have to send them backups —"

"I'm going!" Soyun said at once and Geun flinched. She started again before he could speak up since no one really cut her off; solemn and grim, "I know I said I didn't want to take this task before but I changed my mind. The head chief needs backups and not only me of course, I won't go alone recklessly, that I can promise so please let me —"

"We will, fine." said Geun with a quiet sigh, scratching his temple exasperatedly.

"Thank you —"

"It's dangerous though, Soyun-ah." Sana said. If anyone should go, it shouldn't be the second youngest NIS agent to begin with.

"Sana-noona has a point." Yeonjun added solemnly and looked at them, "If anyone should go, we can send Dohyeong-nim, Seojoon, Hyungsik, Sana or —"

"But Soyun's one of the people Bang Shi-Hyuk once chose to be his bodyguard." Geun said hastily. Normally, Soyun would've skinned him for mentioning Bang in that way as it was done on votes — "Ugh, all right, I take that back. But firstly, the reason I'm okay with sending her is because she can actually help them out. She's worked with Namjoon before as a team and I know her analysis can assist these guys in Italy. She can speak Italian too, right?"

Having Geun take her side felt odd but he was making points.

"She won't go alone right?" Sana frowned, her voice firm. At times like these, Soyun felt like she didn't appreciate her senior's charisma enough.

"She won't." said an old man beside Geun and the dark floor never ceased any of their assessments, "We'll send some people with her. Sana, you know you're crucial for the task force on Haneul. Yeonjun, Sungdeuk and Hyungsik too."

"Dohyeong and Seojoon, you both should go with Soyun then." Geun decided spontaneously but she was all right with anything at this point, "I'll also get some people from my division. It's better to work with familiar people, right? I can't move from this place at the moment."

Soyun pursed her lips softly and gave a firm nod. The office was back to working again. Both Yeonjun and Soobin never left their desks like Dohyeong and Sana who was still gathered around the desks. Geun went downstairs. Seojoon and Hyungsik were whispering amongst themselves on the opened balcony, letting chilly night winds enter the office.

Sungdeuk slowly sat down near her on the couch and let out a soft sigh, "The flight is at 6 AM. You should still take a rest."

His words just indicated that he knew she would have a hard time trying to close her eyes knowing her comrades were nearly before death's door. Namjoon was safe, Seokjin said they were saved somehow, so they should have time to give him the cure within ten minutes...

"It's still afternoon in Italy at the moment, right? How am I — I will." she said quietly. She knew everyone was as worried as she was but kept it down professionally.

Before she went home though, her curiosity brought her to the balcony filled with green plants Namjoon raised. Both Seojoon and Hyungsik stared at her, the other guy pocketing his hand naturally.

"Seojoon," she had a slight frown and calmly asked, eyeing his pocket, "Self-insert card. A small chip. If I get myself an RFID chip reader..."

"What are you talking about, Soyun?" frowned Hyunhsik but he was looking at Seojoon with a brow raised. It gave away.

"I noticed during lunch." she said. Seojoon remained silent, calm. "If it was something good, you wouldn't act oblivious to dodge the question like this. So I wonder..." She walked over to them calmly, hands resting on the back of her waist, "what are the chips for that even Namjoon and Geun don't know of?"

"It's supposed to be a secret, Soyun." Hyungsik chuckled and rested his elbow on the banisters, pure bliss... "You know our chiefs task us with different roles, and sometimes need secrecy. To fool the enemy, you have to first fool your allies right? And sometimes to save your allies, you have to fool them."

"What?" she didn't get it.

Seojoon shrugged casually and got off the glass balustrade. Hyungsik followed suit and they were heading back in without answering her. Falling behind a little, the almond-haired young man winked and whispered: "Know too much, you'd be in a bad spot. All of this aside, you should thank us."

"What do you mean —?"

"See you at the airport early next morning." Seojoon held up a hand to wave and went inside with Hyungsik.

She stood idly on the high-gloss wooden balcony, the city lights below blurring on the reflection of the glass balustrade. She didn't know anything about things behind the scenes, or the ill winds that blow no one any good.

•••

"What the hell is all this noise..." groaned Yoongi as he walked down the stairs. Hearing the kicking sounds and harsh grunts though, he guessed before he entered their diverse martial arts studio that it was Jungkook practicing Taekwondo at midnight.

He leaned his body against a locker while watching the younger guy deliver strong, calm kicks to the heavy punchbag.

"I'm drinking your banana milk, I hope you don't mind." said Yoongi, taking a seat on a chair to watch Jungkook relaxedly.

Jungkook could hear him but was too full of adrenaline the moment he perfected the spinning kick, a smirk spreading across his lips when he landed.

"Is that your pajama?" Yoongi laughed dryly. Jungkook patted his own Taekwondo uniform with a small smile and wiped his sweat with his sleeve. He sat down beside his hyung and he snarled a "you smell like pure sweat" look.

"Did I wake you up?" Jungkook finally chuckled after chugging water from his bottle.

"If you did, you would've been gone by now. I woke up for a drink." said Yoongi, his gaze blinking once at the tonfas on the ground. Hell, how many killing methods did he exercise while they were all in dreamland?

"You're right by the way, hyung." he said solemnly with his gaze boring into the water in his hand, "But as long as I'm keeping myself sane, I will be fine."

"So right now you are letting off some steam?" said Hoseok who walked in casually with a toothbrush in his mouth. He had been awake. They both looked at Jungkook who didn't reply but instead got up again.

"Whoa~" Hoseok laughed as he sat down.

Jungkook was taking his top off behind the opened locker. His dark eyes spoke nothing yet told everything, not obscure at least only for the two other guys in the room.

"The heat is getting to me," he chuckled and went back to the punching bag. The tattoos all over his arm were pure art. One was very notable; a tiger flower. There were chains — letters which looked like chains.

"Want me to help blow off some steam?" The redhead smiled.

"Go wash your teeth." Yoongi groaned but these two couldn't care less. His eyes were on the long, unfading scar over Jungkook's back.

"You? Damn, did I do something wrong today?" He chuckled but continued to box the heavy bag without seeming actually nervous about Hoseok's offer in any way, "But I'll be fine."

"How is she by the way?"

"Who?" said Jungkook.

"Shin Soyun," Hoseok said and sat down again.

"Mhm," he paused for a moment near the stand in an act of recalling today's events, "Saved my butt once today. Also, she's pretty nice." he rubbed his stomach, pausing.

"Because she bought you food? Debatable." Yoongi said and put his carton on the trunk beside him, which he assumed was Jungkook's.

"Mhm... And I suppose she certainly just comes off as your regular beautiful and dilligent college student, it was a surprise to know that she had never been in a romantic relationship." Jungkook said.

"And where did this come from —"

"I asked around quietly." Jungkook said bluntly, no hint of shame.

"So her record's clean? No suspicions among her contacts?" Hoseok asked then and Yoongi had his hand over his face hopelessly, questioning their ways of digging about people.

"Yep. Except for her colleagues that we have no record on and..." he whomped the bag, a sudden thrill of fire focused in his fist, "the Taehyung guy and the blondie."

"You just added the blondie 'cause you got kicked in the ass once, but yes." Yoongi said pensively, "Or did she know him too? Who knows."

"The mafia guy's vibe isn't good." he added, "From the way Soyun acts whenever he's brought up, he comes off quite manipulative."

"Well, in this type of work, it's hard for that kind of thing." said Hoseok who was still on a completely different topic, "What do you think, Jungkookie?"

"For now, personally, I'm just focusing on a goal. Our goal. The truth behind what happened in Myeongdong five years ago and..." his gaze sharpened, "Haneul's head."

The punchbag's stand hook jangled and he let out a soft exhale. With sweat still glazing down his face, he sat down for a break and turned on his phone. A few complicated patterns here and there and he could see Soyun's location. She was in the NIS building for sometime.

"I guess we'll see each other at the airport tomorrow."

•••

Soyun was determined to still take a sleep last night for sure but she sure as hell didn't wish to dream of her childhood memories again. Ever since she encountered Taehyung, these have been very vivid and dark. From taking pictures together to her silent conversation with the boy just outside of the court, the first one and person who believed her words when everyone thought she watched too many crime movies — to her sister collapsing in her own pool of blood, the same boy watching and guilt making her trip.

Nobut thinking of it, there was still some faint warmth in Taehyung's eyes, the same one from back then. The same eyes of the raven-haired boy who'd break out of his own manor at midnight to check up on her after she was pushed out of the trial from screaming 'nonsense'.

She woke up from her short nap with cold sweat. Thankfully, she was just in their own company-owned car.

Other than it being a very short nap, it called back memories that made her feel heavy and bittersweet. She felt so out of gas. Dohyeong was in the front seat of the car with Seojoon, reviewing some files on his lap.

"There was a recent gas leak explosion in Trevi district in Italy on the day before," said Dohyeong, talking to Seojoon as she rubbed her eyes. The blue skies were still dark and it was so early for her to already feel so tense. "Seokjin gave a short message a few minutes ago. Said Namjoon said something about Sarin and Cyan —"

"Sarin?! Are you fucking kidding me —"

"I'm not, Soyun but hear me out. Cyanide it is, or a terrible defect of Sarin. He didn't foam at the mouth. It could've been the worst. But," he exhaled heavily, "at least Namjoon's situation isn't like the late head chief's. We should be glad."

"As long as he's fine." she breathed out softly.

Her colleagues most probably felt the same way, both dropping the subject to focus on their drive and files from thereon.

Dohyeong mused, "Something's so strange though..."

Soyun concealed her anxiousness and looked outside the window. It was insane. Such deadly poisons going around and the thought of Taehyung hopping on the lines to buy the same type of killing substances... It felt and fell dark all over, and Seojoon wondered what Taehyung would think if he could see her pale expression.

Arriving at the airport though, it was bright inside and she was wide awake by then. She saw Geun and about ten of his men already waiting there. They were the people she would go with to Italy as backups for Namjoon, Seokjin and Hyowon.

Her eyes glanced around while Seojoon and the others were gathering around the check-in section and sat down in the seating area. She blinked a few times outside the glass entrances.

Jungkook had just arrived with Hoseok, Yoongi and Jackson. And he looked attractive as usual. It seemed like they were the only ones coming. He quirked both his brows at her when their eyes met in greeting, a smile under his face mask.

She couldn't really match the energy at the moment but returned the gestures as she got up to follow her colleagues to a restaurant.

"Long time no see, Soyun. I heard you've been up in the ranks." said an agent she remembered was with Geun's department, "At such a young age. Wonder how you do it?"

"Hoon, don't get me started on her. She's influenced by that Namjoon." Geun whispered aloud, provoking but she couldn't care less, "Remember that one case —"

"Talent and nimbleness." Soyun said simply, drinking her cold milk. There were laughters around the table and it was pretty cheerful for a group of people who were about to step into a battle in a foreign country.

"I'm going to the toilet." said the man who was beside Dohyeong.

"Help me throw this out on the way, Sungmin!" Hoon shouted, throwing a piece of tissue at the guy and he hissed in annoyance, throwing back a look that said "disgusting".

Her eyes caught something odd on the tissue, it wasn't sauce from someone's lips. It was ink. She frowned.

"Yeonjun and Soobin are pretty young too, but the other one isn't considered one of us sadly because he's young." chatted Seojoon. Geun was joining them in eating and Dohyeong was reading next to Seojoon. The airport announcements were still far.

She honestly hadn't forgotten about last night's encounter. Why was he and Hyungsik so enigmatic? He noticed her calm stare across the table.

What is he signalling?

Soyun followed his short gaze and it went over to elevator on the other side of the restaurant where she recognized one of Geun's men earlier, Sungmin. Ah. Somehow, she was suddenly convinced that she wasn't just overthinking. He obviously passed a trashcan but pocketed the tissue. Who the hell would pocket a dirty tissue? She was one to talk though, pocketing an eavesdropping bug in hers.

Distractions and empty plates put aside, she got up to head to the restroom — to trail Sungmin. Incheon International Airport was large and lively. Seojoon showed her that he was on the earbuds again. Who exactly was helping them?

"She got it?" Taehyung asked.

"Mhm."

Soyun was following pretty smoothly until the guy entered the restroom. He was rubbing his hands together and looking over his shoulders: some signs of nervousness and he looked like he was wary and didn't want to be followed.

"Damn it, how the hell do I —"

But before she could start thinking, she was pulled from behind by her hand into corridor of elevators between the busy lobbies and met Jungkook's eyes. He released her hand after they were somewhere empty.

"Well, well..." he said fetchingly with an air of casualness, "I may or may not be here to borrow your phone —"

"Before that, here." she took his hand, closing it with a bug inside, "Can I ask you for a favour?"

"Oh, what's this for though?" he asked curiously.

"Sungmin. 5' 10" guy with dark brown jacket and light blue pants. Black hair, white shirt and a mole on his cheek. Do you um... Do you think you can put the bug on him? He's in the men's restroom."

"That's quite detailed," chuckled Jungkook as he hung around calmly, eyes looking in the direction of the restroom solemnly. "An NIS agent right? Okay but still," he just passed her a card before walking away. "y'know, we had to pick economy class to avoid your colleagues."

Now she just had to wait for the results but she was unsure of when she'd get an update from him. She saw Jungkook sprinting toward the restroom like a guy who was about to spill.

"Wah, he sure has his tricks." she muttered to herself incredulously. She headed back to the table in the restaurant and picked up her bag.

Seojoon was keeping an eye on Hoon on her behalf.

"He had an irregular background record,"

Soyun still didn't know who was helping Seojoon out with getting these info but decided not to press him yet. The airport made an announcement of their flight before she could ask him about it. More strangely was the reason as to why he was being less secretive all of a sudden? Was it to avoid suspicions from then onward? She plugged in an earbud but it was silent. Maybe she missed it before, because Sungmin was already out of the restroom. Jungkook could send her something sooner or later...

They were getting on board. Sungmin seemed unaware of anything being on him. She discreetly glanced over her shoulder. Jungkook, Hoseok, Yoongi and Jackson were there. Yoongi cocked his head to his phone and she looked at her screen. Jungkook was chewing the inside of his cheeks as the line shortened.

She politely returned the greetings from the flight hosts and headed to the front section, to the business class seats then helped Seojoon and Dohyeong with fixing the seats. She had just turned back on her phone:

"Stay away from the flight attendants when you get in for now. Someone's plotting to kill you on the plane."

End of chapter twelve

character banners © ssshoookookie

A/N: Didn't plan on stretching it this long but uhh life goes on 🤩 sorry if this chapter was boring but dang I really do be leaning toward Jungkook huh I wonder -

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

1.1M 45.6K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
605K 13.6K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
142K 5.1K 87
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
314K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc