Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 67 Informants

355 27 4
By the_hooded_girl

Lord Vertus hadn't complained much when prince Cyrus had informed him he would ride with him to his estate in order to inspect the border defenses. But Chloe supposed there had been no plausible excuse to protest, especially after the attack on Boncini and the fortification.

It had been significantly longer to travel North with a large company. Chloe was glad when they had finally arrived. No one questioned her presence once it was made clear she was a servant in prince Cyrus' party. She had been appointed a small side room in prince Cyrus' chambers. There weren't many chores to be done. The prince dressed himself and house servants kept the room in order. The only thing that fell on Chloe was arranging for his meals to be brought up.

It gave her plenty of time to roam the grounds and fish for information. She made sure not to ask too many questions at first. If the other servants thought her nosy, they wouldn't say anything at all later on. Instead, she merely listened to their conversations and paid attention to who came and went.

She knew it wasn't likely there would be suspicious visitors as long as prince Cyrus was here, but there had to be a way the traitors communicated. Even if only to say now wasn't the time to act.

Prince Cyrus was gone for the day to check the defenses. Lord Iolaus had ridden with him. That left Chloe on her own today. She brought in the tray with empty plates from prince Cyrus' room and placed them on the countertop in the kitchens. The staff was bustling about to prepare lunch and the evening meal. Choe wondered silently if it was always this busy here or if it was only because the crown prince was visiting. Things at Boncini were so much more relaxed. And they still had decent meals.

She sighed. Boncini was so much more homely.

Chloe's eyes fell on a basket with food that was put aside near the back door. Not a moment later, a servant picked it up and slipped outside.

Chloe bit her lip and moved towards the same door as unobtrusive as possible. It was highly suspicious for a food basket to be taken out the back. The lords had already left early morning and had not ordered food to be prepared. Quietly, she followed the servant at distance. The last thing she wanted was to draw attention.

She pressed up against the wall when the servant stopped in a secluded part of the estate. The basket was placed on the ground and the servant returned the way she had come.

Quickly Chloe hid behind a stack of wood until the woman had passed. Carefully Chloe glanced in the direction of the basket. Another figure slipped out from one of the side buildings and picked up the basket before slipping through a fence.

Chloe tiptoed towards the fence and peeked through. The mysterious newcomer mounted a horse and rode East.

A sigh escaped Chloe's lips. She could hardly keep up with a horse. At least she knew the direction it had taken. She wasn't sure what it all meant, or if it was even related to treason, but she would inform prince Cyrus. He could investigate the matter.

Silently Chloe returned to the Main House, but instead of risking the kitchens again, she took the regular servant entrance. If anyone were to ask questions, she could just say she stepped out for some fresh air.

...

To say Mikos was nervous to return home was an understatement. He had spent several days in the capitol with his brother and king Darius where he had received instructions.

A rider had been sent out to find the nomad tribe of the girl Malati. Mikos knew it would take time to locate them since the moved around, but he trusted the king. He just hoped the girl would accept him.

The most difficult part would be getting involved with the daily rule of Salvire. He was sure his father would keep a close watch on him and he wasn't even sure what to look for.

King Darius had sent an escort of soldiers with him. The men would not stop at Salvire, but instead ride on to the border to relieve their comrades.

Mikos dreaded seeing his father again.

When the gates of Salvire came within view, his escort bid him farewell and split off from him to follow their orders. Mikos took a deep breath and urged his horse home.

The welcome he received was very different from what he had experienced in either Auros or Tirzé. Here, no one greeted him, except for the stable hand that took his horse from him. Once Mikos had stepped over the threshold, a servant bowed to him. "My lord, welcome back. I will inform lord Izem of your return." He preceded Mikos to an antechamber where lord Izem was leaned over some documents on a table. He looked up annoyed and scowled.

"The prodigal son returns. Have you had your fill of court life? I had half expected you to stay there and become the court jester."

Mikos didn't reply to the comment, but made a bow. "I bring greetings from king Marcos Aurelios, and his son, crown prince Cyrus Aurelios. They told me to convey their gratitude for sending aid when Boncini was in need. They sent horses as a token of appreciation. Did they arrive well?"

"They did," Izem said stiffly, "at least you got something out of it. Now, tell me, how did Boncini fail to protect the border? How will they make up for it? Salvire was at risk. It might still be. What will king Darius do about it?"

Mikos sighed. It seemed his father would never change, always blaming others, always pointing fingers. It wasn't Boncini's fault. They had done nothing wrong. It was his father that had refused to help allies. Mikos hated the idea that his father might even be involved. "He's sent extra men," Mikos answered, "father, Boncini suffered a great loss. We should show compassion."

Izem snorted. "Compassion," he scoffed, "compassion is the downfall of kings. You're growing weak. We have no time for compassion. We need to strengthen our position. Come here. I've received an offer of truce."

With dread, Mikos approached the table. A letter was there, written in broken dialect, but with clear intent. Balor had made an offer of truce, not for the whole of Tirèze, but for Salvire alone. Salvire was placed close to the border of three nations: Zeir, Balor and Lavos. It had a valuable position that could prove to be very fruitful.

Mikos didn't want to read on, but couldn't stop himself. The words edged themselves in his brain. This. This was what the king had warned him about. The proof was right here. "You cannot be serious, father."

"It is worth considering," Izem said indifferent, "we need to think about the future of Salvire. We are close to the border. We need to choose our battles wisely. What happened to Boncini in Zeir was a perfect example. They are as close to the border as we are. That is why I warned you not to go. Salvire could well be next."

Mikos shook his head. "If that were to happen, Boncini would come to our aid as well. We can't give in to the enemy."

Izem snorted a laugh. "Anyone can become an enemy at any time. Zeir and Tirèze used to be enemies in my great-grandfather's days. No, boy, you lack insight. We need to look beyond this war. Boncini was only the beginning."

A chill ran down Mikos' spine. His father was insane. There was no other explanation. But he needed to win back his father's favor in order to find out the truth. He took a deep breath. "Then tell me what to do." He needed to learn more about his father's plans. And then he could warn his king.

...

Iolaus frowned in concern as he listened to Chloe's explanation. The rider surely was suspicious, but it wasn't like they could openly inquire.

Cyrus clenched a fist. The whole thought of a traitor at work, and the fact that Boncini was dragged into it, made his blood boil. He knew he needed to keep a clear head, but if it were up to him he would love to grab lord Vertus at the collar and demand some answers.

With a frustrated growl, he ran a hand through his hair. This rider, had he purposely waited until Cyrus and Iolaus had ridden out towards the border defenses, or was it a mere coincidence? Was the day and time set? He turned to Iolaus. "Tomorrow, I will ride out by myself," he said, "it will give you the time to investigate. Follow the directions Chloe saw the rider take and see what you can find out."

Iolaus' face still held concern. "Cyrus," he said cautiously, "I'm not sure this is the best time for me to leave your back unguarded. We don't know who we can trust. What if they make an attempt at your life?"

Cyrus let out a heavy breath. "I know it's not ideal, but it might be our only chance. I can't prolong my visit here much further or lord Vertus might get suspicious. I'll be careful. I can tell lord Vertus I want to focus on his plans for improvement. We can discuss them here at the estate in his study. At least I won't have to worry about stray arrows at my back. If they planned to kill me with poison it would have happened already."

Not entirely convinced, Iolaus sighed and sat down on one of the recliners in the room. He knew what Cyrus said was true. They might not get the chance again. Still, it didn't sit right with him to leave Cyrus by himself. "Very well," he said.

"After this, we will visit the Horas estate," Cyrus told him, "if there is nothing to find, we will continue on to Matís and then return home through the coastal road. That way we will visit Moraye, Stregare and Verene too before returning home." He smiled at his friend tentatively. "If you wish, we can stop by your family and stay the night. I know it's been a while since you've visited them and we'll be in the South anyway. It would stop rumors from spreading as well that we are skipping Valais on our border inspection."

Iolaus gave a nod and smiled. "It will be good indeed to see my parents and my sisters. Besides, Valais has lost many men in the attack on the fortification. No one would think anything of it if you were to visit them to offer your sympathy."

"Then it's settled," Cyrus decided, "make sure to leave early and stay out of sight. Report back to me tomorrow night." He dismissed Iolaus and fell back on his bed with a tired sigh. He wasn't looking forward to a long journey along the border estates. He wanted to be home with his family and come up with a strategy to end this war. Instead, he was hunting down an elusive traitor. When he got his hands on that traitor, he would be sure to make their life hell.

"Do you need anything else, Your Highness?" Chloe asked quietly.

Cyrus closed his eyes and shook his head. "No, thank you Chloe. Go get some rest."

Chloe curtsied and quietly left the room. For a brief moment she had wondered if he would fall into his old pattern of taking her to his bed, but it seemed he, too, had moved on from that. She was relieved at that.

Tired, she crawled into her own bed. It had only been a few days, but she missed Lykander and Phoebe. She missed life at Boncini. Was everyone at home alright? She knew she had volunteered for this, but that was before Cyrus had decided to visit all the lords along the border. It would take months before she'd see her home again. She had never been away from home before. It made her feel lonely.

Chloe sighed and rolled onto her side. She truly hoped the traitor would be found soon.

...

When word had reached them that the nomads Darius had been looking for were spotted, the king had given Torcan permission to ride out himself. There was no one Darius trusted more than Torcan, and it was Torcan's brother that would be possibly wed to the girl.

The tribe of Aseem, which the girl belonged to, was currently camped half a day's ride from Tirzé. Even before he found the camp, Torcan found the goats. They were lazily spread across one of the wadi in the area. That meant one of the shepherds wouldn't be far away.

In order not to come across as hostile, Torcan dismounted and took his horse by the reins to lead it to the water to drink.

It didn't take long for one of the shepherds to spot him. A man, roughly his age, stood up from the rock he had been sitting on and now cautiously approached him.

Torcan inclined his head and unwound the head covering he had been wearing as protection from the sun. "Greetings," he spoke.

The man halted a few feet away and leaned on his staff. He regarded Torcan in thought. "It is not often one of the king's men rides out alone."

"I am here on the king's behalf," Torcan said, "I am in search of Aseem of the Northern nomads."

The man's eyes turned cautious. "What would the king want with the tribe of Aseem? The nomad people have no conflict with king Darius Tirzé."

Torcan smiled and shook his head. "There is no ill intend. A request was made to my king to bring a proposition of marriage to a girl called Malati of Aseem's family."

The man stared at him confused. "Why would one of the king's men wish to take a girl from the nomad people?"

Torcan stifled a laugh. "I believe the fig cakes were much to his liking."

The man now roared a laugh. "The little lord has his eyes on our Malati, has he? We did not think he had the courage to ask for her. Be welcome at our fire, king's man. My cousin will take you to our camp." He waved over a younger boy. "Aran, take our guest to meet with Aseem. He has business to discuss."

Aran gave a serious nod and motioned for Torcan to follow him.

Only a few minutes later they arrived at the camp where Torcan was told to wait. Not long after, a sturdy man with a broad grin approached him. "Ah, the brother," the man grinned and he motioned towards a tent where two seats had been prepared. "Sit and eat. Then we will talk, yes?" He waved for another man to take care of Torcan's horse. "I am called Aseem," the man introduced himself before motioning for Torcan to sit down across from him.

Torcan gratefully accepted the bread and wine that was offered. "How did you know who I am?" he asked.

Aseem shook his head. "First we eat. Then we talk."

The next few moments were spend in silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Around the camp, people were busy with daily chores. Torcan could see why it would appeal to his younger brother. It was so peaceful.

Once the meal was over, Torcan focused his attention on Aseem. He was here on business after all, not a pleasure trip. "You know who I am," he said again.

Aseem nodded. "We did not forget, the boy that was retrieved from the mountains."

Torcan looked away in shame. He never liked to be reminded of that day. Was that all he would ever be? The boy that was taken by Balor?

"He thinks fondly of you," Aseem said, "the boy is not like his father."

"No," Torcan agreed, "he is not."

Aseem grinned. "So, he likes my niece, does he? She pleases him. Let us talk. Why did he not come himself? You came on the king's behalf, not the heir of Salvire."

Torcan nodded. "It is a long story, but the king wishes to grand him a favor. Mikos knows his father would never agree, so he turned to the king. However, Mikos clearly stated he will only take the girl if she wants him too."

Aseem roared a laugh. "He does not need to worry. She seemed quite taken with him. Now, let us speak of formalities. If Izem of Salvire objects to this union, will my niece be safe?"

Torcan gave a serious nod. "She will be under the king's protection. I will vouch for it."

Aseem nodded in thought. "You are a man of honor. I have heard speak of you. Very well." He motioned for someone to fetch Malati. It didn't take long for a slender girl with pretty dark eyes to appear. She looked at Torcan curiously. "This man is here on behalf of Mikos of Salvire. It seems he has taken a liking to you and wants you to become his wife. If it pleases you, then go with this man."

Malati studied Torcan. "You are his brother," she said softly.

Torcan nodded. "I am. Mikos said he will only marry you if you want to. If you refuse him, you are free to marry whomever you wish."

Malati smiled shyly. "I have no objections."

"You won't mind living at Salvire?" Torcan asked, "you won't be able to travel the planes anymore. Is that alright with you?"

The girl nodded. "It does not matter where I live. I have known many homes. It is nice to travel, but the life is also difficult. We don't always know where we will sleep that night. At least if I live at one place, I won't have to worry about that."

Torcan nodded and looked at her seriously. "I will bring you to Tirzé first. There are still things that king Darius needs to take care of before you can marry lord Mikos. Don't worry, women have their own wing in the palace. You will stay with the king's wife, lady Elora. She will take care of you."

"I understand," Malati said. In truth, she was a little nervous. It would be nice to be able to ask another woman about being someone's wife. The women in the tribe only teased her when she asked, and she knew the nomad lifestyle was different from how high lords lived.

Aseem seemed to read something else in Torcan's words. He frowned in concern. "Is there trouble?" he asked.

Torcan sighed. "As we said, lord Izem is not happy. About many things." He didn't want to go into detail as long as their suspicions weren't confirmed. "The nomads see many things," he said instead, "I know you frequent the Salvire region. Have you seen or heard anything?"

Aseem pursed his lips. He knew where this was going. "Many birds fly in that area nowadays," he said, "riders come and go. But it is war after all, is it not?"

Torcan sighed. It was true. An increase in messengers didn't necessarily mean treason. The riders coming and going could all carry missives or be extra soldiers. He nodded. "Thank you." He turned to Malati. "Do you have arrangements to make? Goodbyes to say? We should head for Tirzé as soon as possible so we won't be caught by the night."

Malati stood up. "I am ready," she said, "I don't own many possessions." She turned to her uncle and kissed his cheek. "Thank you, uncle, for raising me."

The man smiled at her fondly and cupped her cheek. "Live well, my child, and be happy." He watched her as she entered the tent.

Torcan stood up too and bowed respectfully at Aseem. "King Darius sent me with some gifts," he said and he opened the bag he had been carrying. Inside were spices, oils and gold. "The oils are made by the hand of king Darius' wife. If there is more to be paid, please send word to the palace."

Aseem waved him away. "We are grateful for this already. Tell young Salvire to take good care of his wife."

Torcan smiled. "I know he will. He has a gentle heart."

Malati came out of the tent, a large shawl covering her head and shoulders. "I'm ready."

"Very well," Torcan nodded. He motioned towards his horse and helped her in the saddle.

Malati studied him carefully. This was the brother of the man she was going to marry. He looked like Mikos, only more matured. She had heard what had happened to him as a child. Not the full story, but she knew he was taken by Balor tribes. She knew what that entailed. Her own family had been murdered by Balor. If this man still held kindness in his eyes after going through all that, he was truly a great man.

She wondered what would be waiting for her, if she would be happy. But whatever the future held, she would meet it with her head held high.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 149 28
❝ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘˜π‘–π‘ π‘  π‘œπ‘“ π‘Žπ‘› π‘Žπ‘›π‘”π‘’π‘™ π‘π‘Žπ‘› 𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 π‘‘π‘œ 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, π‘“π‘œπ‘Ÿ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘Žπ‘π‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘’ π‘œπ‘“ 𝑓...
6.3K 171 36
A spoiled elvish princess in love with a lowly soldier. Unfortunately (well, fortunately. But don't tell her that) she will come to realize her life...
24 0 1
Princess. All my life, I have been waiting to become Queen, to finally be entitled to the throne. Having sleepless nights, studying hard, practicing...
1.5K 499 23
ΰ₯€ΰ₯€THE OPEN NOVELLA CONTEST LONGLISTEDΰ₯€ΰ₯€ Life...Limerence... Love When duty and desire clash, what will you choose? Can you give up the love which may...