Rewriters [Completed]

By AureliusLily

At the lowest points of their lives, the chance encounter of two supers led them to an unlikely collaboration... More

Dedication
Prologue: Changing Point
Chapter 1: Good Morning
Chapter 2: Answer, from your Soul
Chapter 3: Vestige
Belladonna: Regret
Chapter 4: A Faint Light
Chapter 5: The Four Musketeers (Dorks)
Chapter 6: Open your Heart
The Mayor of Vale
Chapter 7: To the Future You
Chapter 8: Stepping Stones
Chapter 9: A Name to Uphold
Chapter 10: A Word of Thanks
Chapter 11: The Worst Feeling
Chapter 12: Woe
Chapter 13: The Play
Chapter 14: A Twisted Fate
Chapter 15: The Hero who couldn't Hear
Chapter 16: The Only Future
Chapter 17: As Everything Should Be
Vindicate: Lament
Chapter 18: From the Beginning
Chapter 19: Resemblance
Chapter 20: Shock
Chapter 21: Pursuit
Chapter 22: Everything You Need
Chapter 23: Is Right Here
Kaleo: Hero
Chapter 24: Wave it Goodbye
Chapter 25: Scars
Chapter 26: Code Red
Chapter 28: Julia Speaks
Lysa: Remembrance
Chapter 29: One Last Thing Before
Chapter 30: Our Friends
Chapter 31: Fated Confrontation
Crimson Flare: Vengeance
Caesar: One Wish
Chapter 32: Checkmate
Chapter 33: The Voice in my Head
Chapter 34: Its name is...
The Next Move
Chapter 35: What Lies Ahead
Epilogue: A Bright Future
Afterword
An Old Friend (Teaser)

Chapter 27: Super Problem

50 2 2
By AureliusLily

It was only when Lysa was face to face to the mayor of Vale himself, she realised that the uncomfortable feeling always came up when he was nearby.

She knew the feeling too well. It would stir within her when she felt threatened, slowly dragging her to lose her sense of reason, then control of her power.

It was what she felt when the Vanguards of Vale cornered her while she was severely injuried. She always wondered how she, in her messed up state then, managed to avoid hurting them badly, but she was very relieved about it.

The main point was that her power thought of the mayor as a threat. Lysa was sure she never felt that way when she saw him previously - he was intimidating, but that was it.

She took a deep, shaky breath, trying to calm down.

"Are you okay?" Kaleo asked.

She nodded hesitantly. "I will tell you later."

"Sure."

While Kaleo listened to Oliver's words, Lysa gazed out of the window, staring at the unchanging scenery to relax. From the club room, she could see the library and some parts of the local high school.

She blinked.

Is it just me, or are the walls glowing?

She squinted her eyes and upon seeing the cause of that glow, her heartbeat spiked. Kaleo, who heard the sudden change, turned to face her.

"Kaleo..." Lysa faced him, unable to hide the horror in her face. "Please, tell me that I'm seeing things."

He looked out the window as well and his frozen expression only confirmed the worst. He turned to everyone else, pulling their attention to the incident outside.

They were shocked, so much that even Jones reacted. The old man stood up and slowly made his way out of the room.

James blocked his way. "Where are you going?" he demanded quietly.

Jones gave no verbal response and the two stared each other down. Knowing nothing, Lysa watched anxiously, sensing the unspoken tension between them.

Eventually, James stepped aside, the look on his face turning to its usual apathetic expression as Jones left.

"That was tense," William remarked, only to be hushed by Akane.

James picked up his skateboard, deciding to leave as well. Without a word, Cailin went with him.

"You better not run into fire again, Oliver," Julia spoke, cutting the silence.

He sighed. "Julia, it was only that one time... plus Sonya went in first so-"

"You had to go after her?" she facepalmed. "Siblings, always so... geez."

Oliver let out a small chuckle and looked at his phone. "Looks like I have to go. Bye everyone!"

When he left, William spoke up. "So... what do we do now?"

"Continue like normal," Julia said. "Leave it to the firefighters and don't dare you go to the scene. Or else..."

She held her umbrella threateningly.

Everyone nodded, some more vigorously than others.

Lysa gazed out of the window again, feeling a terrible pit in her stomach. The longer she stared at the raging flames, the stronger that feeling grew.

As if those flames were directed at her.

••••

"I see that you have come."

As Reynard entered the office, the president of Vale Publishing commented dryly, fixing his eyes on him.

"It's been a while since we have talked like this, Andrew," Reynard responded with a smile. "Thought this is the best time to do so, and perhaps usurp your position as the best chess player."

Andrew said nothing, simply bringing out the chessboard and setting the pieces.

"How have you been? I expect that things have been rather hectic," the mayor spoke, making his move.

"Keeping up," was all Andrew said, moving the chess piece. He was distracted by the book he always kept on the shelf, a popular novel about the hero Vahagn.

"It was around this time he joined, wasn't it?" Reynard asked, fixing his gaze on that book as well. "Perhaps you don't need a reminder... but Ezekiel's death was not your fault."

"Nor it was yours."

He was rather taken aback by Andrew's immediate response, though his expression was unchanged. He chuckled. "I don't get hung up on the past."

"Oh really?" Andrew actually laughed, something that was never seen by other people. "Reynard A. Stoic, I think you know. Check."

"I see, then let's move onto another topic, shall we?" Reynard's expression never faltered as he brought the king out of check. "About Harbinger."

Upon hearing that name, the president of Vale Publishing narrowed his eyes.

"If you remember, his last whereabouts are said to be the Cerulean Coast." Reynard carefully made his next move, staring at the chessboard. "Kaleo was there, and I expect his sister to play a part in it too."

Andrew made no comment, taking his turn silently.

"Are you going to continue playing this game?" the mayor asked, amused.

He let out a sigh and smiled. "When you are older, the world around you become duller. But you don't have to. By the way..." he paused, moving a chess piece. "Checkmate."

Reynard chuckled. "That's why you are the champion. I concede. But I must ask, do you really-"

Before he finished his words, Andrew threw a note at him, as if he prepared it beforehand.

"You already know the answer, Einstein."

Reynard couldn't help but grin. "Couldn't you have just told me? But I suppose it's more interesting this way. You always like the first letter, don't you?"

Andrew just smiled.

"Well, I shall take my leave now," the mayor spoke. "Send my regards to Steve. I believe you two have been in frequent contact."

He waved him off, wordlessly telling him to do it himself. His silence was only broken when he had to answer a phone call.

"I see. Make sure none of them do nothing rash. Especially Mr Jones... he already left? Then there's nothing much we can do to stop him. Check on the others."

Upon ending the call, Andrew turned back to Reynard. "There has been a situation. Rosenberg High is on fire."

Reynard gazed out of the window, confirming it for himself. For once, he had nothing to say.

"At a loss, are you?"

"Certainly, it is unexpected, but I'm more concerned of those affected," Reynard spoke with narrowed eyes. "If the situation progresses to what I predict, then there will be a problem."

Andrew sighed, knowing fully what he meant. "What would you do then?"

"I have not run out of cards to use." Reynard couldn't resist smiling in exhilaration. "The chief might have her slight victory, but rest assured, I will win. Just watch the performance and play your role."

"Okay," Andrew spoke with a deadpan face. "Are you heading off now? I have work to do."

"Of course. Thank you for your time," he responded, proceeding to exit the room. He looked back with a smile. "It's been a pleasure."

Andrew returned it. "The pleasure is all mine, friend."

••••

The next few days were filled with news of the incident at Rosenberg High. Every newspaper company, every form of media burst into action, launching interviews and discussions one after the other. Due to concerns about the smoke, school was suspended for three days, much to the delight of most students.

As for Lysa, her days were not affected - mostly. She had not seen Sam for the three days at all, only his cat, Caligo, who she saw less of.

"Sam? He's resting at home because he inhaled too much smoke when he went over to the school to help me." As Carol spoke, her voice shook. She did not sound like the old lady who helped her to calm down with her steady, soothing voice.

Lysa tried to comfort her. "It's not your fault."

"Thank you, dear."

She left work in a sodden mood. She couldn't help the people who helped her the most. Why couldn't she at least do that?

Even Kaleo was unusually solemn that day. "I went to meet Sonya just now, about what I asked," he told her. "She told me to watch the news... but her voice was... well, solemn. I don't like how this is going, Lysa."

"I don't either." No matter how Lysa tried to relax, she felt the restlessness pricking at her skin constantly.

At the book club room, everyone was present. Julia was holding the remote to the television, bitting her lip nervously.

"Hey, Kaleo, Lysa. Take a seat, it's starting soon."

"What's starting?" Lysa asked.

"The press conference about the incident," Irvin spoke for her. "The police are going to reveal the results of the investigation... and honestly it doesn't sound good."

"Mr Beckett says it's important for everyone to know," Julia spoke grimly. "So sit tight."

Kaleo and Lysa exchanged worried looks with each other before taking a seat.

The TV was switched on. The press conference was live, with the chief of police herself present at the panel.

Matilda Payne, Lysa thought, reading the sign. She heard of her occasionally, though not as much as the superheroes, but she made some significant accomplishments for the town.

As Chief Payne started to speak, the room felt as if it fell into a deeper silence, almost as if everyone was holding their breaths.

"On 20 September, at approximately 2:14pm, a fire occurred in Rosenberg High School. The VPD has investigated the cause of this fire throughly, but were not able to find any traces of ignition."

The reporters immediately barraged her with questions but were silenced quickly as she continued to speak with a grave tone.

"Instead, we have found an area concentrated with soot. Its size and colour is consistent with majority of the fire incidents earlier this year."

Lysa turned pale, realising what it all meant. No...

"What fire incidents are you referring to?" a random reporter asked.

The chief closed her eyes and opened them. "The fire incidents caused by the Vanguards of Vale in the pursuit of the supervillain Harbinger."

As soon as she said those words, chaos erupted.

"Does that mean Crimson Flare caused the fire?"

"Was Harbinger at the scene?"

It was difficult, but finally Chief Payne was able to speak again.

"Due to the strong evidence at the scene, and the consistency with past incidents, we have determined that Crimson Flare is guilty of the fire. He and his accomplices will be arrested for the destruction of public property and the obstruction of justice."

The fire... was my fault... Lysa thought, horrified.

The chief of police stood up. "The police has tolerated the existence of what we know as superheroes for many years. The incident just recently, and the incidents before that, is proof that we cannot rely on unregulated individuals or groups. Even now, Harbinger is still at large. Without a body, there is no certainty that he is dead."

"Supers in the recent years have only became more uncontrolled, taking justice into their own hands and being the root cause of chaos in our town. Henceforth, after a serious discussion with the management of Vale, a new law shall be implemented, starting today."

"All supers are required to be registered with the VPD with full disclosure of their powers. Those who do not comply... will be treated as supervillains."

"Does that mean that superheroes like Statue have to reveal themselves or they will be classified as villains as well?" someone in the crowd asked.

"Yes."

"She can't..." Helen said, her eyes wide. "The mayor wouldn't allow it."

"He has been outruled by the majority," Cailin spoke defeatedly. "He can't overturn that."

"If you have any knowledge of unregistered supers, I urge you to make contact with us immediately," Chief Payne spoke. Though her voice was serious, there was something glimmering in her eyes.

Victory.

"Together, we will make this town safe again. For our children."

Lysa barely heard those words as she faced Kaleo. Both of their faces were glazed with shock and fear, not for themselves, but for each other.

And the worst part?

It was all her fault.

••••

Next | Chapter 28: Julia Speaks

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147 22 21
In any superhero movie, there are always those civilians who make the dumbest choices available. Whether that be running toward danger, being mean, o...
337 68 23
The Titans start to learn what normal is like again, as much normal as any claimed deceased coma patients that wake up with super powers & now have a...
SCENT By Eleven

Science Fiction

549 91 9
'Around the turn of the millennia, a fraction of the nineties' kids developed powers beyond human limitations. Some used them in a responsible manner...
3K 48 38
A city filled with heros, more heros then there is crime. Theres no point in Asteria, a funny sarcastic super, becomeing a hero not that she wants t...