Senator and Soldier

נכתב על ידי LeeraIvy

Senator Riyo Chuchi is beginning to lose her faith in the Republic. After being the target of several assassi... עוד

Prologue
Unwanted Protection
Friendly Faces
The Price
Dissatisfying Escape
Perilous Plans
Transformations
Discovery
Traitors Revealed
Justice Served
Delicate Gift
Into Our Own Hands
Heartfelt Interrogations
Deserter Ally
Republic Commandos
Uncomfortable But Welcome
Trying Meetings
Explosions
Numerous Excuses
Shrine
Embarrassing Endeavors
Preparations
Festival of Light
Taking Chances
Double Sided Warning
Shattered Ball
Tick Tock
Illogical Reasoning
Uncharted Course
Healer's Touch
Alleged Conspirators
Broken Trust
The Beginning of Change
Difficult Decisions
Gnawing Anger
Temple Bombing
Timid Steps
Take Two
A Likely Story
Suspects Renamed
Code Red
Social Calls
Traitors In Our Midst
Dark Clouds
Friends and Enemies
Multiple Dilemmas
Insinuations
Surprises
Wonderful Turn of Events
The Unknown
Hardened Resolve
Growing Frustration
Dark Revelations
Hidden Plans
The Order
Burning Fears
Strained Loyalties
Darkness Calls
Mending Pains
Devotion
Epilogue
Thank You
Broken Codes
Walking New Paths

Resolved Resignation

1.1K 44 12
נכתב על ידי LeeraIvy

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo hastily changed into an appropriate outfit for a Senate session. Padmé had just contacted her about it and already, she was running late. Mairin dashed into the room, hairbrush in hand. She brushed through Riyo's hair and twisted it up simply while Riyo slid her bracelets on.

Mairin grabbed a headpiece and fitted it in place, just as Riyo stood. "I'll be back soon. Padmé waited for me," she said.

Mairin nodded and stifled a yawn. "I'll probably go rest. I've been having headaches again today."

Riyo gave her a small smile. "All right. I'll see you soon." She headed out the door and made her way towards Padmé's private landing platform.

She had only been back home for a day. Tilieu had agreed to release them from the Temple the night before, as long as they promised not to over exert themselves. Fox, Jairo, and Padmé had made it their personal mission to make sure that stipulation was met.

"There you are!" Padmé grabbed her hand and pulled her into the speeder.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make us late."

"It's all right. I was going to tell you sooner, but I completely forgot. Did you go through your missed transmissions yet?"

Riyo shook her head. "I haven't had time. Mairin has had headaches so she's been resting a lot and I've been trying to sort through a few papers."

"Is she all right?"

"I think so. Tilieu didn't seem worried, anyway, and Mairin doesn't either." Riyo thought for a moment. "What is the session about today?"

"Clone production," Padmé sighed. "I'm tired of this topic already. Ever since the Ball, the Senate has been clamoring for more troops, more guards, and more security."

"But if the Republic makes more troops, the war will only be prolonged."

"And we're close to bankruptcy. I don't care how many banks we deregulate, or if we deregulate the deregulations. We will still be bankrupt," Padmé added.

"Has the Chancellor expressed any opinions on the matter?"

"Not to me."

Riyo knit her brows together, thinking. They flew towards the Senate Building in silence. The speeder touched down on a landing platform and they darted off. Riyo followed Padmé until she reached her own seat. She entered quietly, grateful to be the only one there, besides her two guards.

Senator Organa was seated next to her. "What did I miss?" She whispered.

"Not much," Bail whispered back. "The Trade Federation and the Banking Clan are pressing the Senate to vote for more troops."

"Has anyone spoken out yet?"

"Not yet."

Riyo nodded and turned her attention to the discussion on the floor. Rush Clovis and Lott Dod were addressing the Senate from their hovering seats. Chancellor Palpatine was watching them with interest.

"There is no doubt in my mind. More troops are needed. Coruscant has been attacked too many times lately. I do not feel safe. We should double the size of the Coruscant Guard," Lott Dod said.

"And we should send more troops to the Outer Rim. Tensions are growing rapidly out there and the Separatists are gaining control of numerous systems," Clovis added.

"And where will we find the money for this?" Padmé moved her seat out onto the floor.

Mas Amedda waved a hand towards her. "The Chair recognizes the Senator from Naboo."

"Thank you." Padmé faced Clovis and Lott Dod. "The number of troops you're suggesting will triple the payments we already owe to the Kaminoans. The Republic is on the verge of bankruptcy and it has been for months. If we go through with this, we will have no money for the people."

"Senator Amidala, you bring up this issue every time we hold a vote like this," Lott Dod sighed.

"It's a valid argument!" Riyo shouted. She didn't move her seat out, however. A few more senators shouted their support, Bail and Senator Mon Mothma among them.

"Senator Chuchi, you are against this proposal, even after your very life has been at stake so many times?" Clovis asked.

Riyo glanced towards the Chancellor's seat. He nodded, as did Mas Amedda. She moved her seat onto the floor, beside Padmé's. "I am against the continuation of this war," she said. "I am against the purchase of more clones. My safety has nothing to do with it. The problem is, the more troops we have created, the more battle droids the Separatists will make. Our numbers will grow and grow and neither side will gain any ground. Eventually, the Republic and the Separatists will go bankrupt and collapse."

"Our people will starve to death. They'll lose their jobs, their education, and their basic needs for life," Padmé added.

"We can't focus our security measures on Coruscant. We have been attacked by the Separatists only a few times. Every other time has been by individuals who were discontent," Riyo said. "If more troops are needed, then we must spread out the ones we have. Send the Coruscant Guard to the Outer Rim if we must, but we cannot dig a deeper hole in the fundamental structure of the Republic."

"Chancellor, what are your thoughts on the matter?" Padmé asked, when Riyo had finished speaking.

Chancellor Palpatine stood, a sad expression in his gaze. "I admire your idealism and the devotion you have towards the welfare of our people. However, if we do not win the war, our people will suffer even more. We must do whatever it takes to defeat the Separatists. We can't spread our troops any thinner than they already are. The Jedi Council has informed me that their own ranks are dwindling. I, sadly, must side with Senator Clovis and Senator Lott Dod."

Riyo glanced at Padmé, disappointment a heavy weight on her shoulders. "No more discussion. Let's vote!" Senator Burtoni shouted.

"The motion is on the floor," Mas Amedda announced.

"I second it!" Someone called.

"Let the vote commence."

Riyo remained out on the floor, with Padmé and the other two senators. She input her vote and waited impatiently. Several minutes passed before Mas Amedda whispered something to the Chancellor. The Senate fell quiet again as the Chancellor took his place.

"The proposal to create more troops has been approved," Chancellor Palpatine said. "I trust Senators Burtoni, Lott Dod, and Clovis can handle the financial discussions privately?"

Lott Dod and Clovis nodded. Riyo glanced towards Burtoni's seat. The elderly Kaminoan nodded her head as well. Padmé moved her seat back towards the wall.

"I hope you know what you're doing," Riyo hissed to Clovis as she passed by him. She secured her seat and left as the session was adjourned.

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Republic Judiciary Central Detention Center
Commander Fox

Fox moved down the hall with Clay at his side. They had been making their rounds all day, ensuring that things within the prison were running smoothly. Clay was currently annoyed, because Fox had been late yet again.

They reached the top floor of the prison, finally. "You know, General Windu asked where you were several times," Clay said. "You wouldn't answer your comm and no one knew where you were. They didn't know if you'd deserted the army or simply gone with Tilieu to Kamino. You should've told me."

"I know, but I couldn't."

"Why? You've always been able to talk to me."

"This time I couldn't."

Clay watched him as they walked past a few cells. "You didn't go to Kamino, did you?" Fox remained silent. "Ok, fine. I can only help you so much when I don't know what's going on."

"You're not really trying to help me anymore. You're trying to restrain me," Fox snapped.

Clay halted in his tracks. Fox kept walking, not really caring. "I'm trying to help you! You've completely let go of all your common sense! She asked me what you'd do, you know. I told her you'd either completely disregard the rules or you'd put restrictions on yourself. It looks like the first option was right."

"I thought you wanted me to do this." Fox kept walking. He heard Clay catch up after a second.

"I want you to be happy. If she makes you happy, then of course I want you to be with her, but I also don't want you to get into trouble. People have been talking, Fox. You stopped being careful. Sooner or later, that's going to jeopardize you or her."

His thoughts drifted towards the Chancellor. I've seen how close you two have become. He shook his head. "Just stop, Clay. You're not helping. I know what I'm doing."

"Fine." Clay stopped again and crossed his arms. "But I'm done covering for you. If you know what you're doing, then prove it." He whirled on his heel and stormed away.

Fox let out a hiss of frustration and headed towards the nearest speeder. He hopped in and took off. In a matter of minutes, he'd reached the Senate Apartments. Riyo was just entering her apartment when he approached. She waved him in quickly.

"What is it?" She arched an eyebrow, taking in his expression as he removed his helmet.

"It's nothing," he sighed. "How was the session?"

"Unsatisfactory," she replied. "When can I talk to Asha?"

Fox rubbed his forehead and sat on the edge of her bed. She moved towards her vanity and started removing her headpiece. "You can't," he said at last.

"Why not?"

"Riyo...I, she..."

Riyo paused and glanced back at him. She set down her headpiece and joined him on the bed. "Tell me."

"Asha is dead," he said at last. "She shot herself and fell off the platform before we could arrest her. I didn't want to tell you until you were better."

Riyo's mouth fell open. "She's...gone?"

Fox nodded, once. "They found her body and General Windu contacted Chairman Papanoida about it. They sent her to her family on Pantora."

Riyo bit her lip and scrubbed at her face, blinking back tears. "Did she say anything?"

"She said she chose to do it, without a prompt from anyone else. She said the Republic was losing itself and that the Senate was to blame. Asha thought you were different and for some reason, decided she was wrong. She thought that by killing you, she'd make a statement..."

"And other people would take after her example," Riyo finished. "She told me that part." She dropped her head in her hands. Fox wrapped an arm around her shoulders and kissed her forehead. After a few moments, she stepped into her closet.

She crawled into bed when she returned, tears streaming down her cheeks. Fox sat beside her and rubbed her back as she closed her eyes. He stayed there until her breathing grew deep with sleep.

I believe the Jedi may be conspiring against us. The Chancellor's words rang through his ears again. She may just be using you to give the Jedi an advantage. Do not let yourself become the downfall of the Republic, because of the treachery of others.

Fox scrubbed at his face. Clay is right. I've neglected my duties for too long. I'm putting him and Riyo in danger, as well as myself. If the Jedi really are plotting to take over...I can't do anything to jeopardize her. He squeezed his eyes shut for a second, realizing what he needed to do. Maybe the Chancellor can help her where I can't. Fox smoothed some pastel purple hair from Riyo's face. He kissed her gently, then left before he could change his mind. The door hissed shut behind him.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

5.4K 228 43
~ Intuition - Book 1 - Rex and Lenora ~ ~ ''They told me, ''Be sensible with your new love. Don't be a fool, thinking this is the last you'll find.'...
1.6K 65 30
Star Wars the Clone Wars Fanfiction, Mostly Focused on female OC and Captain Rex, and their experience falling in love, but also telling the growth o...
9.5K 440 48
For the past several years, Ania Bonteri has lived in seclusion on the planet Mortis, learning to control her new powers. From the planet, she has wa...
4K 58 10
NOTE: For the sake of this story and its timeline I have extended the Clone Wars by about five years or so but the EXACT number of added years is unk...