Rendezvous in the Romanowskia...

By KaiseyEliysian

"And... the fifth rule," he came forward, locking me between him and the slab again. "This should be the last... More

Rendezvous in the Romanowskian Empire
1. Goodbye 21st century
2. Project 06T02-BCE
3. Electric impulse
4. Drape it like a pro
5. Identity crisis
6. Women's property
7. Fartaxerxes and Lola Rose
8. Dead end
9. Crypto maniac
10. Love at last sight
11. Fierce cub
12. Art of the concubine
13. Princess trouble
14. Ladies man
15. Master invader
16. Blue-eyed fantasy
17. Favourite of the great
18. Camp barbarian
19. Warlord Julian
20. Chocolate boy vs playboy
21. A disastrous promise
22. Night in the camp
23. His mystifying sides
24. Meek women my foot
25. Broken rules
26. The reward
27. Felinophobic Pharaoh
28. Skeletons in his closet
29. Infamous treaty
30. The woManly doctor
31. Launching Alexandria
32. Creepy cult
33. Dangerous women
34. Fartaxerxes is doomed
35. Baby steps
36. Bullies in the palace
37. Spicy 'n sweet
38. Romanos
39. Gossips with the bald priest
40. Purify me
42. Offerings to Aphrodite
43. Hanging feelings
44. Lola tales
45. The Romanowskian company
46. Making up to Armonia
47. Bath arena
48. Making up to him
49. Bloody hell
50. Peaceful heaven
51. Hypnotiser
52. Tactics
53. Tease
54. Temptations
55. Baby it's just me and you
56. Ancestors
57. So close
58. Cryptic revelations
59. Delicacy
60. Happy demise
61. Sad truth
62. Cursed lovers
63. Falling out
Romanowski and Rosemary
Sequel released

41. Beware of the temple of Ishtar

4K 185 179
By KaiseyEliysian

Many incidents in this book are True historical events, like Dionysus' cult, handling of snakes by Alexander's mom, the ritual in this chapter, etc.

Please read the warning on previous chapter before proceeding.

Althea

I couldn't believe things were turning out in my favour.

The priest in Aphrodite's temple had told how there was a ritual to offer prayers to Aphrodite in Babylonia.

In a place called the temple of Ishtar.

Offering services there is the best way to please Aphrodite, he had said. And I was over the moon when Julian offered to take me to that exact town. Rituals, although creepy, were interesting to know about. The broader the spectrum of my research would be, the better.

During our week-long journey through the deserts, I kept thinking about what happened in the forest.

The lake in there is seriously playing cupid.

But what astonished me was... Julian's gentle behaviour.

The sky outside was dark, with the stars still shimmering softly. I placed my palms over the open window, to feel the chilled swoosh of air passing my bare arms. It left a trail of shiver down my body.

Babylon, the capital of Babylonia, was on a higher altitude compared to Egypt. With a lack of deserts and the approaching winters, it was cold in this early morning.
There were still a few hours to go for the Sun to come up.

Closing the window, I walked over to the mirror to comb my hair. As I combed, I looked at my reflection. Putting down the comb, I touched the corner of my lips, feeling around the area where he had...

I closed my eyes, trying to feel the sensation again. It wasn't his lips at that moment. They were just his stubble that had brushed past my lips.

My hand was pressed against his chest then. It was instinctive to keep my hands there because, at that moment, I was trying to get hold of something to stabilise my disoriented state.

It was then that I felt his heartbeat, beating so wildly like a small terrified animal in his wall of a chest.

My cheeks warmed up. Was he... was he, of all people, nervous?

What did he find in me to make him so nervous? I asked myself, staring at my reflection. My braided hair? My dull blue eyes? My face that looked like a dumb doe at crucial times?

I couldn't figure it out, and that disturbed me.

Shaking my head, I focussed on the task at hand. Twisting up all the hairs, I did a side bun and pulled some hair around my temples. Fair look to visit a temple, I hummed.

"You look lovely!" Thalia entered my room with a tiny pot in her hand.

"Here, this is milk cream churned to make a balm," she handed me the pot,
"Aphrodite admires it when women are well dressed and look their best!" she beamed.

"Oh, thank you so much," All these stuff were reminding me of DIY skincare, which I and Cheryl used to make when she got acne with the market ones. I smiled, applying the sweet balm over my lips. What a lovely world, free of chemicals.

"It's good to have these," I said, returning the cream, "winters make the lips chapped. It's an excellent substitute."

When I noticed her lost in thoughts, I touched her cheek,
"Oh dear, your cheeks are hot. Are you alright?"

"Y- Yes, I'm just... nervous," She looked at the darkness outside, solemnly.

"Oh, come on, it's just a temple," I laughed. This woman was so scared all the time.

"If only I was as confident as you..." she trailed as we made our way down, "You didn't take his honour's permission..."

I was positive that Julian wouldn't bother if I wanted to go to a temple. Not that I was going alone, "I did go to his room, but the guards said he was sleeping. Isn't it rude to wake up a king?" I asked to hear her hum in response.

Since the Persian ruler Darius III had fled the second war with Alexander and was nowhere to be found, most parts of his empire came under 'The Great', which included the colourful city of Babylonia.

He had invited his warriors to celebrate in this city with lodgings for everyone. As Julian was a king, they gave us this cute little fortress to stay in, and not an ordinary house.
It was a relief that Julian's concubines were staying back in Romanos.

In the pitch darkness, women poured in from different lanes to walk in groups. Everyone wore a cream coloured linen like us. They talked in excited hushed whispers, snickering now and then as they carried the essential items for the offering.

I looked down at my bronze plate, filled with white myrtle, honey and different sweets. I wondered if Aphrodite had a sweet tooth.

Men walked around with fire torches, guiding the women to the temple in the darkness. The icy wind continued to flow by and I wrapped the thin woollen shawl tighter around me.

Even in the chilly darkness, the area buzzed with life. A faint yellow light appeared in the distance, and everyone started chanting a verse.

"That's the glow from the temple," Thalia said, her breathing erratic as she went on with a forced smile.

When we reached the temple, it was packed with people outside. It seemed only a select few or those standing first in the queue were allowed to enter one by one.

Several carriages rushed past us to be parked behind the temple. We chose to walk as it was close to our lodgings.

The oldest lady of our group, who was the palace priestess back in Romanos, led us through a different path, away from the crowds thronging the temple gates to wait for their turn.

The women who had travelled in the carriages were ushered inside while the crowd of waiting women watched in bitter silence.

"The commoners have to wait. Women of royalty and from the palace have easier access," Thalia mumbled when she saw me staring at the crowd outside.

The priestess of Romanos showed the royal seal of the Romanowskian empire to the temple guardsman, who after having a look, allowed all of us in.
I turned once more to see the waiting women glaring at us. Must be a popular place, I thought.

Gripping the offerings plate, we entered the temple and immediate warmth overtook us. Fire stands and torches lit every corner, causing a yellow glow inside.

The walls, floor, ceiling everything was stone. Noticing it closer, I figured it out to be the stone interlocking system. A method of construction which wouldn't let the temple collapse even if there was a fairly powerful earthquake.

The place was equally bustling inside. Men and women walked with offerings in this hall-like area. At the far end of this squared hall, there was a narrowed rectangular passage where the goddess' statue was placed. It too was filled with people.

We made a beeline for that narrow passage and soon, squeezing through the crowd, came to stand in front of the statue.

Oh well, this looked no one like Aphrodite.

The goddess had black horns for head and wings at her back, which seemed to carry swords. She wore golden linen, matching the gold used to make her statue. One of her feet was trampling a chained lion that she controlled.

I shivered at her facial expression. She had the scariest face with a huge grin stretched across her lips. As if mocking my decision of entering her temple.

Bells and different musical instruments electrified the air with their rhythm, enclosing the area in its own world when it was probably three in the night.

As the women of our group offered their plates one by one, I decided to check around where the music was the loudest.

One look to my right and I jerked my head in the opposite direction, heart beating like crazy.

Shit, what was that?

"Th- Thalia," I nudged her, "What is... happening there?" She looked in my pointed direction and cringed.

Scantily clad women were dancing, so aggressively that any more, and the pieces of cloth would fall off them. Their hairs were open and swung around wildly as they twerked to the beat of the music.

"T- They must be... offering their services to Ishtar," She looked at the golden statue of the scary goddess, "you know... they are dancing to please the goddess," She gave an uneasy smile.

My heart stilled for a moment. Was this the ritual, the priest was talking about?

"Do we have to do it too?" I gasped.

"No, no!" She looked at the wild dancers in horror, "They seem like temple dancers. It's their job, we don't have to do it," I exhaled at that. Although I knew how to dance, their's was just too indecent to copy.

As my turn came, I stepped forward with Thalia to offer our plates. Noticing the priestess to be an old woman, I asked her, "Apologies mistress, but could you tell, why are they dancing like that?"

She looked up, her face judging mine for a while, "foreigner I see," Mumbling to herself, she took the myrtle from my plate and flung it over the goddess.

"Their dance depicts the various forms a woman takes during her union with a man," she said plainly.

I tried to keep my face as neutral as possible at her embarrassing explanation.

When she peeked at my blank face, she sighed, "You visiting for the first time?"

"Yes, we are Greek, that's why..." I informed.

"Hm, so you should know that Ishtar is a Mesopotamian goddess, just like your Greek goddess, Aphrodite," she started.

"While Aphrodite is just related to the affairs of love, Ishtar is the goddess of love, war, consummation, fate, storms and many more.

"You Greeks come here to seek more blessings of Aphrodite, by worshipping her Mesopotamian form, who is Ishtar," she concluded, arranging the fruits at the goddess' feet.
Thalia narrowed her eyes at the old priestess, who was obviously thinking us to be greedy for blessings or something.

After praying, another priestess fetched us back to the hall where now there were more men than women strolling around. It was a bit worrying that the priestess of Romanos wasn't here. She had left us with this seemingly wicked priestess.

When she didn't lead us out but ordered to stand by a wall in one horizontal line, I was confused.

"Thalia," I whispered, "Isn't the offering done?"

She had her hands clasped in front of her, fingers violently fiddling with each other, "T- The real off- offering will start now," she trembled.

"What?" My heart sped up. Before I could ask about it, two voices screamed in my head.

"What are you doing here, Coretta?!" They screamed together. I gasped at the intensity, clasping my mouth to avoid alerting the surrounding women.

"Cheryl? Lorenzo?" I pressed a thumb to my wrist and spoke, "Is that you two?"

"It is not a place for naïve, inexperienced women like you! Who told you to come here?" Cheryl deadpanned.

"Wait. Explain me, what's going on?" I looked around to find them, "why are you angry?" I asked, perplexed.

"Look in front. To the left of the entry gate," Lorenzo instructed, and I found them standing near the exit, "And tell us first, why are you here, Cors?" He pleaded.

I was happy to find them here, but the way they talked with an accusatory tone ruined my mood, "Um, to write?"

"Silly, who writes about already known things?" Cheryl huffed, "now don't tell me you didn't read about the infamous temple of Ishtar."

I froze at infamous.

"Hello, hello? Coretta! Don't tell me you didn't read about this infamous temple!" Cheryl repeated louder.

"Dang it! Hello? Cors, babe, can you hear us?" Lorenzo repeated.

"I- I yea..." My heart was pounding against my ribcage. I couldn't comprehend how I left this topic to study.

This was an epic mistake I made.

Lorenzo was patting Cheryl to help her calm down as the sound of her heavy breathing trickled in my head, "Cors, do you at least know why are you standing there?" She tried to say as calmly as possible. But beneath, she appeared scared to the core.

I had no answer to her question.

Still, I sucked in a sharp breath, "I don't remember we had to read any such thing for the QLATs?"
We had to read every little thing about history in these papers, and I didn't leave any.

When silence was all I heard on their part, I was annoyed, "Are you guys telling me or not? What has happened?!"

"She doesn't know..." Cheryl sniffed to look at Lorenzo, who gave me a sympathetic glance from afar.

He took a deep breath and started in a steady voice, "What all things are represented by Aphrodite?"

I knitted my brows at him. He just urged me to go on.

"She's the goddess of love, beauty, marriage, fertility... childbirth?" I summed it all.

"Not just love. It's sex," Lorenzo said without beating around the bush, "She's the goddess of sex, Cors, and people have to offer her just that in this temple!"

"And you are standing there... so- so that a random man could pick you for..." Cheryl couldn't complete, "What I mean is... you can't make a choice to choose anyone..."

Everything stilled as their words sunk into my head. My vision became blurry watching the roaming men glance my way, which I hadn't noticed until now.
I couldn't hear anymore what Cheryl and Lorenzo were talking about. The abnormal ringing of my heart replaced their anxious voices.

"What happened... Althea?" Thalia looked at me with concern. I found myself staggering beside her, my hand grasping her's in a death grip.

I hadn't noticed my eyes were burning now. I blinked whatever was to come out, "N- Nothing," I gave her a weak smile, retracting my hand. The sob in my throat resurfaced when I couldn't stop my trembling hands.

In fact, my entire body was shaking beyond control. The warmth of this place was turning me colder by the second.

I clutched my trembling hands into tight fists. The only way to subside my fear was to channelise it into anger, "When did we read about it?" Lorenzo and Cheryl stopped whatever they were sobbing about.

"I read every goddamned thing for that paper. I couldn't leave any topic!" I yelled.

They seemed to sag a little, watching me seething, "Goodness, we thought you'd faint any moment," Lorenzo sighed.

"Temple of Ishtar is a very controversial topic," Cheryl started hastily,
"Historians and critics had such heated debates of how this ritual was unjust towards women, that they never included this topic in any academic readings, which includes the QLATs, but we had to read it because..." She flailed her arms, panting, "Duh!"

Lorenzo tapped Cheryl's head for her to stop and breathe, "Cors, that's why Reuesme sent us an encrypted document through mail to read about it."

"I-" Shit.

"And you forgot to open the mail?" Lorenzo spoke my thoughts, burying his face in his hands. My Gmail account was flooded with messages that I never bothered to open.

Travelling to the past wasn't any normal human's cup of tea. I had stayed up nights after nights to make sure I covered everything.

And this is what happened when I missed one topic.

"May I ask why the two of you are here then?" I narrowed my eyes at them. They turned red in no time.

"Oh, we- we actually," Lorenzo stuttered, "Yeah! We were acting as friends with benef- Ow!" He winced when Cheryl elbowed him.

"Ah, haha actually me being Alexander's concubine and Lorenzo demoted to join his army, gave us the chance to travel here," She cleared her throat, "And we came here to do a ground zero reporting."

"What's with you covering your mouth, woman?!" The wicked priestess slapped my hand away, which I was using to cover my mouth as I talked. I mumbled an apology, spotting more women joining our line.
I gawked at their extremely happy faces.

"Now, listen, Coretta," Cheryl began, "I'm sending Lorenzo to fetch you. Act natural and just go with him. Once you are outside, no one can question you."

Cheryl was going an extra length for my safety when I knew they both were apparently dating, as Dunkin had said.

"Guys, I don't want to ruin your good time," I sighed.

"Coretta Hayes!" I squeezed my eyes shut at her high-pitched voice tingled my ears.

"You can't handle a random man here! I am a concubine so I know what to do!" Cheryl scolded, "Lorenzo! Off you go now!"

The fake warrior stood straighter and started walking with the stance of a king, eyes lazily moving left and right. Then, dramatically, they landed on me and he quickened his steps.

Just when he came in front and was about to grab my hand, the priestess slapped his hand away.

"Young man," She gave Lorenzo a sweet smile, "I believe watching you go with a woman previously? You are not allowed to take a second one, dear," she grinned.

Both of us froze, staring wide-eyed at each other. Cheryl smacked her head, "Now say don't-wanna-ruin-your-good-time," she mimicked me,
"Good or bad, you are definitely gonna have a bad time Cors if you don't listen to me!" she scolded again.

The anger inside me was dying down, replaced by the same fear again. This ritual was going to be the end of me.

"Aphrodite is the goddess of lovemaking," A woman giggled beside me, "What's better than offering her intimate acts?" she said as the other woman squealed.

"You are right, dear ladies," The wicked priestess joined their chat, "Making love in the presence of Ishtar releases the divine fertile energy of a woman. Every woman should come here at least once in her life," she smiled.

These people are crazy. Don't they worry about getting STDs?!

Oh yeah, Aphrodite would save them from that.

Given their talks, they were increasing their chances of getting prego through this ritual which they thought would enhance their fertility.
But in my case, it would be better if Aphrodite gets mad and makes me infertile. I'll be much safer then.

More women poured in from the entrance, everyone delighted to be in this horror house. I ran a hand over my face, thinking about the number of women desperate to enter, but had to wait for their turn.

The reality of this project was kicking in. This is what we were trained for six years. To adapt ourselves to the mentality of these ancient people and follow exactly what they did.

But this ritual was too much.

Maybe... maybe the time has finally come when I... leave this century?

"Guys, I am leaving for home," They stopped bickering to gawk at me.

"And how are you gonna die? By banging your head against the wall?" Lorenzo shrieked.

"This girl is going to drive me crazy!" Cheryl seethed, "Do you even know what you are saying, Coretta? Will you leave your task here? Leave Romanos, leave Julian and leave the mystery of how they disappeared from history?! Tell me, Coretta!"

I clasped my mouth as the sob resurfaced. Where have I stuck myself into?

"Amongst us, you are in the most important position. And after you are gone, do you think any of us could go near that ruler of Romanos and become his court writer?" Lorenzo added.

She mumbled something to him and strode to where I stood. I gulped. Cheryl in anger wasn't someone I could mess with.

"Greetings, mistress," Cheryl greeted the wicked priestess in a chirpy voice, smiling brightly.

"Ah, Lola!" The priestess acknowledged her, "How are you doing, dear? That man you went with is so greedy," she laughed, "I couldn't believe he came for one more woman!" All the women around began laughing.

Lorenzo grunted in my head.

"Is that so?" Cheryl asked back, going along amazingly with everyone. She talked some more, after which she asked slowly,

"Can I talk to her for a moment?" She pointed to me, "She is my younger sister and is visiting for the first time," she smiled, "and she is so scared. I just need to ease her. Would I be allowed to?" she bowed gracefully.

"Of course!" The priestess beamed, "But be quick, otherwise, she'll have to wait longer."

Grabbing my hand, she dragged me to one corner.

"Yes you, speak now," She crossed her arms, looking accusingly at me, "The government and all the companies who have contributed for this project have an expectation from us. The money they've put in, the years of hard work, you're going to trample it all for a mere ritual?

"Not to forget it's only you," She jabbed a finger on my head, "who has discovered something that's unknown to the modern world."

I wasn't going to win against her facts.

"Cheryl..." I exhaled, "how can I... do it?" I pleaded, "My first time means something to me, and I'm going to do it like this?" I threw a hand in frustration.

"I told you to get a boyfriend, honey, but you were too focussed on this project," She took out something from her robes and checking around once, shoved it in my hand.

I glanced at the packets of tablets in question.

"Birth control pills," she said casually.

"Cheryl!" I cried out, "I've never taken these! And wait," I looked at the packet again, "pills take at least four days to become effective, that too when taken with respect to the monthly cycles-"

"That's what the second packet is for," she motioned to the blue-coloured tablets, "While you were busy memorizing the texts, I was discussing with Reuesme about our... reproductive health in this century," she sighed.

"Anyway, the blue one will act as the activation pill for the white one, which is the birth control. Take them together with water and you are good to go," To hell, I thought.

"Cheryl..." I shuddered, looking down at the scary tablets.

"Now stop whining like a five-year-old," she rubbed her temple, tired with all the arrangement she was doing for me. But deep down I knew she wasn't showing how scared she was, because that would scare me further.

"You are a woman and have to take precautions on your part," She held my shoulders, "it's not like you can ask a man here to wear contraceptive hmm?"

The tears were fighting their way back to my eyes at the gravity of the situation.

"No no no, not now," She hugged me, "If you cry, I'll gouge out your eyes, Cors," she whispered, "remember what we were told? Not to create a scene and not to question any belief these people follow?"

"It's... it's just... unfair," I hiccuped.

"Not for them," She made me look at the cheerful women who were happily going with whichever man came to have them, "Analyze the situation, Cors. They don't think it's unfair because they believe Aphrodite will bless them. And," Her blazing grey eyes cut through mine,

"We have to believe the same thing!"

I eyed the pills warily.
"Trust me, they'll work," she assured, "The medical team associated with our project made it with world-famous doctors, especially for the two of us. They aren't even available in the market."

"And if they fail?" I whimpered.

"I'll hire assassins to kill all those doctors," she smirked, "But trust me, they won't. Order some more when you have your AI book, okay," she wiggled my cheek painfully.

"You know what," She leant closer, "These pills are just a precautionary measure. If you are lucky enough, you can always kick the man's ass and make a run to your lodgings. Self-defence, remember?" she winked.

There was hope then, I tried to smile. If I'm able to run to Julian, no man would dare touch me. Yes.

When I came back to stand in the line, Thalia was already taken. My heart went back to beating its irregular pulse.

I cursed myself. If only I'd taken his permission, he would've warned me. But I didn't. My knowledge-hungry self was so pathetic.

But I realized one thing. Whenever I was in trouble, Julian was never there. I felt bad, but then gave out a humourless laugh.

Think about it Coretta, when you will be dying, he won't be near. How good would it be? A faint smile came on my lips. Yeah, it would be better. That way, I'll have a less painful death.

I raised my lowered head, feeling confident that I'll escape this ritual, just then my eyes met with a man. He was overtly built, with a huge white beard coming till his chest that started from his wrinkled face. He appeared to be in his fifties.

And he also appeared to be walking towards me.

Oh goodness no! I clasped my mouth, desperately trying to stop my tears. I averted my gaze from that burly man, but it was too late. He had already seen me watching him.

The breathlessness in my chest increased by the pressure I was applying to restrain my sobs.

What kind of revenge is this cruel goddess taking from me?
I hate you so much, Aphrodite!

The arm of the man came around my waist to pull me back against his chest. My heavy breathing squeezed my throat as the tears I had been controlling gushed out at the helplessness of my situation.

"I will take this woman," he declared.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

432 73 28
•••••••••••••••• He took a step closer to her, and she took one away from him. "When two people make love, it is sensual, two hearts bonding, and car...
45.5K 2.1K 102
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED] What happens when you fall in love with your enemy? Well you do know what happens, your family abandons you and all...
279K 15.2K 28
It was a serendipitous encounter that brought them together, but can their relationship survive when the billionaire, James, comes under fire, which...
22.5K 1.7K 85
"You ungrateful bitch. I keep a roof over your head, and this is the thanks I get?" "You could have killed her," I retort, trying to muster up confid...