Avatar: The Fang Of The South...

By trinikirito

Kaiyo always lived his life peacefully hidden away in the Southern Water Tribe. He had originally went out wi... More

CHARACTER FILE BOOK 1: WATER
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
CHARACTER FILE BOOK 2: EARTH
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
CHARACTER FILE BOOK 3: FIRE
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61 (Preview)

Chapter 19

5.8K 201 166
By trinikirito

In the frozen landscape of the North Pole, Team Avatar is currently flying Appa over the sea as they scoured their eyes in search of the Northern Water Tribe.

Kaiyo is currently at the reigns whilst Aang, Katara and Sokka were snuggled in some blankets that he had given them.

"You know," Sokka suddenly said as he glanced over Appa's saddle into the ocean, "I'm not one to usually complain, but can't Appa fly any higher."

Aang, suddenly regaining all of the energy he lost, shot up from under his blanket, "I have an idea, why don't we all get your back so we can all fly to the Northern Water Tribe!"

"Kids--" Kaiyo sighed as he was interrupted.

"I think that's a great idea," Sokka sassed, "Climb on everyone," he pointed to his back, "Sokka's ready for take off!" Momo hopped on his back.

"Kids--" Kaiyo tried once again only to be interrupted by Katara.

"Could you both be quiet, I'm trying to sleep here!" the girl of the group interjected snuggling herself deeper into her blanket.

"Me?!"

"Me?!"

Sokka and Aang shouted simultaneously, earning a groan from Katara.

"Kids, I really think we should--"

"He started it!"

"He started it!"

Aang and Sokka pointed to eachother.

"No, you did!"

"No, you did!"

Sokka, Aang and Katara then all started to argue, each one of them trying to get their voices higher than the other.

"HEY!" Kaiyo had enough, "All of you rugrats shut your traps or I swear to the spirits that I WILL turn this Bison around and fly us straight back home!"

The kids all died down and bowed their heads.

"Sorry."

"Sorry."

"Sorry."

The kids all seemed to calm down.

"Thank you," Kaiyo sighed, "Look, we're all probably just a little stressed right now because we've been flying for two days straight. So...I suggest you all lay down and get some rest, okay?"

The kids were all about to do lie when suddenly a giant icicle shot out of the water. "Woah!" Kaiyo shouted as he maneuvered his way around it.

The kids all hung on for dear life and screamed as Appa swayed violently. Kaiyo tried to find his bearings again only for Appa to get caught up in another icicle as it shot out of nowhere.

The flying-bison swerved out of control before being subsequently trapped in ice as it froze all around his body.

The beast groaned and Oka whined along with him before growling, signaling Kaiyo that whomever did this was getting closer.

The white haired teen glanced around him before signaling Oka to calm down by whistling and petting Appa's head.

"It's alright, boys...we're alright," Kaiyo saw the boats clearly and recognized them now, "They're from the Northern Water Tribe..."

"We've found the Water Tribe!" Katara exclaimed, excited that they were finally able to find the thing they've been searching for since the beginning of their journey.

Kaiyo suddenly took a blanket and spread it over Oka, effectively hiding the wolf when no one as looking.

The wolf whined, "It's gonna be alright, buddy...just hang back a little bit."

......

As the team is now being escorted by the group of Northern Water Tribe natives, Katara finally saw the great walls of the settlement.

"Look!" she pointed, "There it is!"

"The Northern Water Tribe," Sokka said as he watched the great wall, "We finally made it."

Kaiyo hummed in confirmation as he was finished folding the last blanket the kids were using, save for the one still hiding Oka.

Aang simply watched in amazement as several benders swayed their bodies and the walls of the settlement parted ways for the group to enter.

Kaiyo's eyes gleamed as he peered at all of the benders as well whom then bended enough water into the area they were in to raise the depth, allowing them free passage.

"Look at all these waterbenders," Katara observed and Sokka shared a glance with Kaiyo.

"We'll find a waterbending master to teach us no problem," Aang smiled as he was now at the reigns.

People from the colony all watched Team Avatar, waving to the famed master of elements. It was then that Kaiyo noticed a girl with hair similar to his own passing, that he lowered his hat.

Sokka noticed the girl as well and blushed with a grin slowly spreading across his face as she passed.

"This place is beautiful, huh Kaiyo," Katara said as she sat by his side looking around.

Kaiyo noticed Sokka slide down to the edge of Appa's giant tail, "Yeah, she is..."

The elder of the group raised a brow, but chuckled non the less as Sokka came back and sat next to him. "Enjoyed the view?" Kaiyo asked Sokka knowingly.

"Uh-Yeah, Of course I did!" Sokka scratched his head until he whispered, "By the way, did you see her hair?! It was like yours, it's the first time I've ever seen someone else with that color hair."

Kaiyo cleared his throat, "Yeah...hey, Sokka, would you be able to do me a favor?"

"What is it?" Sokka asked as he was peering at the giant buildings they were passing.

"Uh--don't bring up my hair color, okay?" Kaiyo asked him, "With anyone."

"But...why?" Sokka was confused.

"Something tells me you'll understand why very soon," Kaiyo sighed, "Just...please, okay?"

"Um...Okay?" Sokka agreed somewhat.

"Thanks genuis," Kaiyo smiled and ruffled his hair a bit.

"Hey!" Sokka groaned, "Come on, man...watch the hair."

......

As nightfall then came, Team Avatar is seen in the town square where people of the Northern Water Tribe were enjoying the great feast that their cheiftain prepared.

Katara, Aang, Sokka and some other higher ups in the village were seen at a large table whilst Appa, Momo, Oka and Kaiyo were to their extreme left.

Kaiyo currently sat on Appa's saddle with his hat lowered along with his arms and legs folded. Sokka had asked why he didn't want to sit with them, but he said he wanted to keep Appa company, Oka still hid beneath the blanket.

Some people had just brought Appa some grass of some kind and a bowl of fruit for Kaiyo, which Momo immediately swooped in and took.

The leader of the village then spoke as he silenced everyone present. "Today, we welcome our fellow brothers and sister from our very own Sister Tribe. And they have brought with them...The Avatar."

People began cheering as Aang waved nervously just as Momo flew into his arms. The monk then looked to Kaiyo whom gave him a reassuring nod and smile before mouthing, "You've got this." Aang took a deep breath and soaked in the praise as humbly as he could.

The chieftain then continued, "We also celebrate my daughter, Yue's, sixteenth birthday," as if on cue, the girl with white hair from earlier walked out to greet the Tribe whom rejoiced at her arrival as well.

"Thank you, Father," the girl bowed and looked back to the crowd, "May the ocean, moon and White Wolf spirits watch over us!"

The crowd cheered once more as the chief smiled, "Now we shall spectate as Master Paku and his students perform!"

Kaiyo's head perked up slightly as he heard that name pass. An elderly gentleman then came on to stage with two younger men whom began doing several tricks with giant jets of water.

Oka suddenly whined from beneath the blanket and Kaiyo passed him the bowl of fruit, "I'm sorry, bud. You know I'm not ashamed of you, but if we want to keep a low profile, I can't have a giant white wolf at my side... it's a tell."

He then heard Sokka talking to Yue as she and Team Avatar approached Appa. "U--Uh, those statues over there look so cool, don't you think, I mean the craftsmanship, am I right?!"

Yue giggled, prompting a dreamy sigh from Sokka, Kaiyo chuckled.

"They are, aren't they?" Aang absentmindedly looked at one of the giant statues with a face of familiarity.

"Yeah," Katara grinned as she looked up at a magnificent ice statue of a woman in Water Tribe Warrior clothing.

"Yes," Yue suddenly went and looked up at one of the taller statues that showed a magnificent warrior with a straw hat and a wolf by the man's side, "These statues are of the War Heroes that fought for the Water Nation Tribes."

"Woah," Sokka came and stood next to Yue, only to see her smiling widely at the warrior with the wolf by his side, "You seem to like this one a lot..."

"I do," she looked back at Sokka shyly, "This warrior, is The White Wolf.... people say that he was the one to single handedly bring down armies with the wave of his arms....a man that could make the sky's snow anywhere he went, accompanied by his faithful companion, a wolf the size of a grown man...."

Sokka's face began morphing as he suddenly looked back to Kaiyo quickly, only to see him looking up at the statue as well. But with narrowed eyes.

"H-How old was he?" Sokka investigated, seeing as the statue was that of a grown man, and Kaiyo went out to war when he was merely fourteen.

"Nobody knows," Yue looked down, "Some say he was that of an old man, whilst others called him a spirit that took on the form of a child. Either way," Yue suddenly passed a hand over her hair, "People always said that he had white hair...just like mine...he was just like me...a legend among the Northern Water Tribe...and someone I look up to."

Sokka stood there with his mouth wide open and was about to yell something before a hand clamped over his mouth, "Utter a word.... and you're dead "

Sokka nodded and Kaiyo sighed before letting go, "Are you kidding me?!" Sokka tried to whisper and waved his hands dramatically, "That's you! You're him! You're--"

"Kaiyo!" Aang then came to his side, "Earlier you said that when I was ready to talk to a master, come and get you....well, I talked to the chief and I'm about to go and talk to Master Pakku!"

Kaiyo smiled, "That's great, Aang. Why don't we go and see what's up?"

"Kids," he called out to Sokka and Katara, only for Yue to also look to him, he raised a brow, "Uh...stay out of trouble, okay?"

"Got it!"

"Got it!"

Sokka and Katara answered before going back to their table that had food on it. Kaiyo looked to Appa's saddle for a millisecond before going along with Aang and Yue's father.

Sokka and the two girls sat down by the table and began to eat whilst also looking from afar as Aang and Kaiyo talked to Pakku.

Kaiyo seemed to be doing most of the talking whilst Aang merely chuckled or rubbed his head shyly whilst standing slightly behind Kaiyo.

"Who is he to you guys?" Yue asked as she tried to peek under Kaiyo's hat and over his blue scarf only to come up with nothing.

"Oh, that's Kaiyo," Katara answered as she took a sip of a drink, "He's been the one watching over us for the last year since our dad left to fight in the war."

"Oh," was all Yue could manage and she giggled when she saw Kaiyo give Aang a little encouraging shove to talk to Master Pakku, "It seems like he really cares for you all. Although, he's a little....distant."

"Yeah, don't worry about it," Sokka waved her off, "He can be like that sometimes around people he doesn't know," he folded his arms, "But...once you get to know him, he's one of those guys that'll do everything in his power to protect you."

"Wow," Yue smiled at Sokka's serious face, "Seems like you care about him just as much."

"Of course...he's like my brother. The one I'll always look up to," Sokka then adopted an embarrassed smile, "Anyway, where we about that activity you were going to agree on?"

"Who says I was gonna agree?!" Yue playfully shoved him and they both continued to converse over their customs.

......

As the next day rolled around, Kaiyo found himself walking to the stables of the Northern Water Tribe to a secluded end where Appa laid down. All of the other animals merely kept quiet, too afraid to anger the tired beast.

Kaiyo chuckled as he went and petted the giant bison, "There--There...you did good buddy."

Appa groaned and rolled on to his side, eyeing Kaiyo, as if asking him something. "Breakfast?" Kaiyo asked him and he groaned again.

The Water Tribe teen chuckled when he heard other Water Tribe members enter the stable, "Good morning," he greeted them.

"Morning, you were with the Avatar yesterday, right?" one of the warriors asked him.

"Yes, I was," Kaiyo confirmed, "Listen, I was wondering...would you mind if I hung out here for a bit? Fed our bison and gave him a bath...poor old lump has been flying for days on end."

"No, we don't mind at all, please. What's ours is yours," the man gestures around them, "Feel free to browse."

"Thank you," Kaiyo nodded before looking around and deciding to untie Appa's saddle as the men did their business and left for the day.

Kaiyo eyed them until they left and when he was sure they were gone, he whistled. Suddenly the hay to the side of Appa began rumbling as Oka's head popped into frame.

The wolf sneezed and Kaiyo chuckled as Oka came and nuzzled his face into Kaiyo's hand.

"I missed you too, bud," Kaiyo said and suddenly Appa flared his nostrils, "And you too Appa," he laughed to himself as he began taking off his hat and jacket to begin gathering hay for Appa and meat for Oka.

Momo suddenly swooped in and landed on Kaiyo's shoulder.

"Hey Mo," Kaiyo said and scratched the little lemur's ear, "Tell you guys what, since you've all been so good. Why don't you let me pamper you all for the rest of our stay?"

The animals all closed in on him, as if to embrace him in some sort of way, he chuckled, "I know--I know, I'm the best...and maybe slightly crazy. So... who's first?"

The lemur, wolf and bison all exchanged glances and Kaiyo sighed, "This may be harder than I thought."

......

As nightfall came faster than expected, Kaiyo was currently putting back on his straw hat as he looked over his handy work, Oka's fur shined in the moonlight.

"There, all good, bud," he winked at the wolf whom stood proudly in front of him, "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

The wolf whined, but allowed him to leave anyway, Kaiyo chuckled and called to Momo, "C'mon Mo, let's go! Bye Appa!"

The bison flared his nostril before rolling on his side and curling up into a bundle to finally get some shut eye.

When Kaiyo eventually made it back to cabin he and the kids were staying in, he saw Sokka kick his sleeping bag away, frustrated.

"I'm back," he called with a little chuckle as he began taking off his jacket and hat once more, being sure to lock the door.

"Kaiyo!"

"Kaiyo!"

"Kaiyo!"

The kids all bombarded him with their presence as they ran up and began explaining their dilemmas to him all at once.

He simply smiled gently, "Guys! One at a time, please," he chuckled. "How about this, I'll get some tea ready, Katara you get some of the biscuits that Yue gave you yesterday while Sokka and Aang spread out their sleeping bags, hm?"

"Okay..."

"Okay..."

"Okay..."

The kids all groaned before going about their tasks and Kaiyo's smile failed to falter, "Seems like they still need me..."

Although he didn't want to admit it, Kaiyo actually missed having to monitor his rugrats, Aang and Katara woke up early to go do their training and Sokka went to look for Yue after he was done with his. The cabin was empty and Kaiyo had nothing to do.

The kids came a long way so far, he'd noticed the changes in each of them since their visit to Kyoshi Island way back when to now, and their growth had just begun.

Eventually after making the tea for the kids, they all sat in a circle as they all explained their situations to him.

"It's Princess Yue," Sokka grumbled as he took a bite out of his biscuit grumpily, "Spirits this is so good....she can bake," Sokka's eyes leaked with tears comically.

Kaiyo chuckled and placed a hand on Sokka's shoulder, "What's wrong with the Princess, Sokka?"

"She's sending me these mixed signals!" Sokka took a sip of his tea before going back to his explanation, "One minute she wants to go out with me and the next she's telling me to get lost!"

Kaiyo hummed as Sokka groaned, "Well, maybe you just need to see it from her prospective. Sokka, we arrived yesterday, you can't expect her to suddenly change for you. Maybe she has something else going on in her life and does genuinely want to go out with you, but can't. "

"Then what am I supposed to do?!" Sokka asked Kaiyo whom looked down at his cup of tea, "I'm not an expert on this sort of topic, Sokka...but the best advice I can give to you. If you really do like her that is, then don't give up. Offer her friendship, support, a shoulder she can lean on...and maybe--just maybe...you'll slip through the cracks in the walls she's built around herself."

Sokka had his mouth opened as well as the other kids whom watched as he nonchalantly took a sip of tea.

"Woah..."

"Woah..."

"Woah..."

The kids were all speechless until Aang became excited and began waving a hand.

"Ou, my turn--my turn!" the monk shouted and Team Avatar all laughed.

"Okay, Aang, what is it?" Kaiyo asked as he took a bite out of his other biscuit.

"Master Pakku is so boring as a teacher. I mean, he's making me go over all of the basics when I've basically already mastered them!"

Kaiyo chuckled, "He's just covering all of his bases, Aang. Besides, Katara is there with you in class so how bad can it be? Master Pakku is a great teacher, a powerful bender and one of the most respected people in the Northern Water Tribe."

Kaiyo was taking another sip of his tea when Katara said, "That's just it, he won't teach me because I'm a girl!"

Kaiyo immediately spit out his tea and coughed, "He said what?! That good for nothing old geezer--"

"I mean...I don't see the harm--" Sokka began to open his mouth, but quickly opted against it once he saw everyone's glare, "This tea is amazing!"

Kaiyo eventually sighed, "Okay, well this is problematic...how about this, I'll talk to Pakku for you tomorrow. If he still doesn't wish to teach you, then we'll find another, I promise, kiddo," he looked at Katara whom had her head lowered and a down struck look on her face.

"Hey, I don't see the harm in Aang showing Katara what he learnt," Sokka said as he was finished with his tea.

"That's a great idea!" Katara said as she got up, "Why didn't I think of that?! Aang can learn by day and teach me by night. This'll be perfect."

"Now kids, I don't think--"

"I'm down!" Aang levitated to this feet and grabbed her hand, "We'll be back in a little while guys! Thanks Kaiyo!"

"Glad I could help?" Kaiyo sighed as he shook his head, "Don't stay out too late! And put on your cloaks for cry out loud, it's cold outside!"

They both laughed and he sighed as he put away everything he had to and began to slip into unconsciousness.

......

The next day when Kaiyo awoke, he found himself in the cabin alone once again. He sighed before getting up for the day and stretched him limbs.

As he put on his hat and jacket as well as gloves, he exited the cabin, being sure to lock it securely.

On his way to the stable where he was to meet Appa, Oka and Momo, he saw a group of people gathered at the training area. The lot of them were either cheering or wincing as a battle took place.

He raised a brow, "Don't these people having anything better to do?"

He was about to walk off when he heard...

"Damn, that girl from the Southern Water Tribe is pretty good!"

"Yeah, Ive never seen a girl bend like that before!"

"I know, isn't she great?!"

"Feminism!"

Turning around swiftly, Kaiyo made his way through the crowd and watched as Katara battled Pakku.

He clenched his jaw when he saw Pakku glide on an iced jet of water and deliver a blow to Katara, knocking her necklace off of her neck.

He clenched his fist when he saw Katara trying to get up. His eyes surveyed the crowd and he spotted Aang and Sokka whose eyes then met his as he made his way over.

"Oh shit..." Sokka said as looked to Aang whom was already behind him, "Oh come on!"

"You tell him!" Aang whispered a little too loudly.

"Me?! You're the ones who got caught!" Sokka looked to him.

"It was your idea!" Aang shot back.

"Since when did you ever listen to me?!"

"All the time!"

"Somebody better start explaining this to me!" Kaiyo grabbed them both by their noses and twisted.

"Ow!"

"Ow!"

Sokka and Aang both screamed in pain as he held their noses.

"Okay, Okay!" Sokka waved his arms around, "I'll tell you!"

"Last night, Pakku caught Aang and Katara..." Kaiyo listened as Sokka explained, "We left early this morning because we didn't want you to know. We thought that we could fix it by ourselves."

Kaiyo sighed and looked back to Katara, whom tried her best to keep up with Pakku, "I'm very disappointed in you three..." the duo of boys looked down, "So disappointed in fact... that now you have no choice, but to cheer as hard you can so that Katara can hear you."

The boys looked up to see Kaiyo smirking and they smiled at each other before cheering as loudly as they could.

Katara looked back to see Aang and Sokka cheering whilst Kaiyo merely stood back with a small smile on his face.

She smiled back before looking back to Pakku to finish off their battle. Katara continued to battle hard as she and Pakku exchanged blow for blow.

Kaiyo face became worried as he readied himself, he knew that eventhough Katara is indeed talented. She lacked the experience and form to compete with Pakku. And knowing his prideful attitude, the older man would surely hurt her.

So as Pakku raised his hand and summoned several shards of sharp icicles to impale Katara, the girl was frozen if not for Kaiyo throwing a handful amount of knives at them and another handful at Pakku whom blocked then with an Ice Wall.

"I think that's enough!" Kaiyo said and Aang and Sokka both looked to the position he was in before in wonder as to how he moved so quickly.

Pakku scoffed, "Either way, this fight is over!"

The old man passed Kaiyo whom gave him a side glare.

"This fight isn't over yet!" Katara tried to get up only for Kaiyo to kneel down to her level and console her.

"It's alright, kiddo," Kaiyo smiled at her proudly, "You did fantastic...don't beat yourself up over this."

"But--" Katara lowered her head and bit her lip as her disheveled hair blocked out her tears.

Kaiyo patted her head when he noticed Pakku kneel down to pick up Katara's necklace.

"This is my necklace..." he observed and Kaiyo clenched his jaw.

"No, it's not, it's mine!" Katara tried to get up once again, only for Kaiyo to look down and hold her tighter.

"It isn't, right Kaiyo?" Katara asked him and the teenager sighed.

"Your gran made me promise not to tell you," Kaiyo started.

"So...gran gran...she was supposed to marry--" Katara began only to stop herself when she saw Kaiyo nod.

Kaiyo sighed, "Why don't we get you cleaned up and then we can get to the explaining? Hm?"

"No...I...I want to hear this now," Katara said and Kaiyo could only nod as he helped her up and she stood, now stronger than before.

The white haired teen then took a step back as Pakku began explaining his past to Katara and Team Avatar as well as Princess Yue whom seemed to be taking it far worst than even Katara.

Kaiyo said nothing as he watched Yue run away crying whilst Sokka ran after her and Pakku and Katara looked to eachother.

Kaiyo then looked at Aang and nodded towards Katara. The monk nodded back and placed a hand on her shoulder when he walked up to her.

Katara accepted his offer and placed her own hand on his that was rested on her shoulder.

Kaiyo looked back to the Chief of the Northerm Water Tribe. "I think it's time we talked, Chief..."

The Chief looked down, "Yes...Wolf."

......

The next morning as the sun rose on the horizon Kaiyo watched from afar as the wind blew over the snowy terrain of the Northern Water Tribe's training grounds.

He watched as Aang was bending water in the shape of a sphere and Pakku made a few comments on his form.

Suddenly Kaiyo saw Katara rushing to the training grounds as well. She huffed as she rested her hands on her knees to catch her breath.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Pakku asked, "...It's past sunrise. You're late."

He got into a traditional waterbending stance with a smirk and glanced behind the children to see Kaiyo in the distance.

He nodded to Kaiyo whom simply turned around and walked away, letting the sun's brilliant rays envelope his being as another day went by and Team Avatar was one step closer to reaching their goal.

....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

945K 16.2K 41
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
254K 11.4K 35
เชœโ€โžดแกฃ๐ญฉ hidden, various hazbin hotel characters x female reader เชœโ€โžดแกฃ๐ญฉ ๐‘ฐ๐’ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ we follow an angel named y/n, who had her bes...
219K 5.8K 25
ใ€Œ๐—ฅ๐—จ๐— ๐—ข๐—จ๐—ฅ๐—ฆ ใ€ โ›in which an oblivious model stumbles upon an f1 driver during a rough night and without even knowing who he is creates...
90K 3.2K 32
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. โ” Lando Norris x Fem!OC ยฉ KissLeclerc , April 2024