The Waltz (Jotakak)

By Sinnamon_pancake

2 months after returning from Egypt, Jotaro's main school event is happening in a few weeks. The theme is "wa... More

A/N
Chapter 1: Resuming Time
Chapter 2: A Storm's Coming
Chapter 3: A Rude Awakening
CHAPTER UPDATE!!!!!!
Chapter 4: Can't Catch A Break
Chapter 5: Star Dancer
Chapter 6: Mission Failed
Chapter 7: Jotaro Jackson
Chapter 8: Challenge Accepted
Chapter 9: How It's Done
Chapter 10: Schedule
Chapter 11: Everytime We Touch I Swear I Could Die
Chapter 12: Problems
Bonus Chapter: Kid n' Play
Chapter 13: Ouch
Happy Jotakak Week!
Bonus Chapter: I Will Survive
Bonus Chapter: Guy's Night
Chapter 14: Forgetful Mornings
Another Chapter Update!
Chapter 15: Oh! That's a Cheater!
Chapter 16: Moving Forward
Chapter 17: What?
A/N
Chapter 18: Falling for You
Chapter 19: Love Hotline
Chapter 20: Thoughts
Chapter 21: True Preparation
Chapter 22: Anticipation
A/N
New Update Schedule
Chapter 24: Walking on Eggshells
Chapter 25: Tuesday Nights
Bonus Chapter: Trick for a Treat
A/N
Chapter 26: Notes
Chapter 27: Hold Me Close
Merry Christmas/chapter update
A/N

Chapter 23: Eyes are the Window to the Soul

2.6K 166 272
By Sinnamon_pancake

3:52pm
Kujo Residence

"Alright Jotaro pay attention, I'm introducing the new move." Kakyoin said firmly, grabbing my attention. I gave him a short nod in return, then assumed my regular position next to the record player. Kakyoin and I exchanged nods silently queuing me to start the record player, and that's what I did. I watched Kakyoin as he and Hierophant Green started up.

     I was paying attention, at first I didn't really notice anything different until I noticed their bodies were swaying more than before. I continued to watch closely until the two of them came to a halt.

"You're up Jotaro." Kakyoin said, waving his hand in a dismissing motion in the air. We switched positions at a fast pace. Everything about this lesson seems a bit more fast paced then usual. I don't know what it is but Kakyoin almost seems less patient. Well, that doesn't matter. All that matters right now is practicing this move.

     The music reached my ears and Star and I quickly started moving, not wanting to spend more time on this than we had to. However, this proved to be an unfortunate decision. I have no idea what I'm doing. I thought I was paying attention but the second we actually started moving I realized how lost I was.

     I only have one option in this situation. Pretend like I know what I'm doing. It worked against D'arby so it can work in this situation right?

I started dancing with Star Platinum doing the exact same steps as before, I then attempted something I really shouldn't have. I tried doing a turn in the opposite direction from what we have been previously doing, thinking it would end up looking like Kakyoin's. Oh how wrong I was.

That one change ended up throwing our entire balance off, which resulted in us helplessly clutching each other as we made friends with the floor. I saw Kakyoin's face contort into a worried look before fading away just as quick the moment I stood back up.

I got back into position and did the one thing I should never do while dancing. Experimentation. I was going to figure out this new step without having to ask. I attempted turning in the opposite direction one more time only to ultimately give up once I felt a bruise forming on my side.

We tried doing wider turns, smaller turns, turn no turn then turn again. None of them were even close. I can't spend anymore time trying to figure this out. At this point I'm just wasting our time. I stopped dancing and took a deep breathe.

"Kakyoin, what's the difference between what we just learned and this new move?" I asked in defeat, my eyes never leaving the ground below my feet. I heard a loud sigh. If it wasn't thanks to me hearing Kakyoin sigh multiple times from being tired of Polnareff on our trip, I wouldn't have been able to pick up the little bit of amusement that came through the sigh. The rest was irritation and tiredness, but there was definitely some amusement in there.

"I was hoping you would've been able to follow my moves with Star Platinum, but it looks like it was wrong of me to assume." Kakyoin said half heartedly. I moved out of Kakyoin's way as he stood in my previous spot. "I'll explain the step to you and then demonstrate."

He immediately started moving with Hierophant. Kakyoin stepped forward on his right foot while Hierophant stepped backward on his left foot, "This is the first step, it's the same as before so nothing new here." Kakyoin started. He then took a turn to the left, his left foot aligned with the right foot. Hierophant turned with Kakyoin, aligning his right foot with his left. "This is the second step, I took a quarter turn to my left placing my left foot parallel while Hierophant did the same with the opposite feet."

     Right after explaining, Kakyoin brought his left foot beside his right Hierophant doing the same but with the opposite feet. "This is the last step, which is just to bring your feet together like we have previously been doing." The two separated after he finished explaining. "That's all the new step is, it's really simple." The really sounded more stressed then it should've been, which reminds me of his irritation and amusement from earlier.

"Thanks, I think I've got it now." I stated, feeling more confident now that I had an idea of what I was meant to be doing. I switched places with Kakyoin once again.

We didn't hesitate to begin moving. I did the first step without an issue, but the quarter turn quickly proved to be harder than I initially thought. I would've thought that this step was simple enough, because I had been practicing the other turn and I practically had it down now. However, it was like I was now starting from scratch. I was once again having trouble with turns.

I was having the most trouble making my feet parallel. Sometimes I would get too much momentum and sometimes I wouldn't get enough. The rare few times where I actually did manage to make my feet parallel, I wasn't balanced enough to bring my feet together. If there is one thing I've learned, it's that practice makes... me average. I wasn't hoping to be perfect anyways, it's just one school event.

Well, that's what I would've thought before. Now it's a school event that I'm attending with Kakyoin, I need to dance well for him. I continued practicing the step, my unlocked determination fuelling me with more energy than I thought I had. Each time I failed the step, I re-did it immediately. Not taking the time to sigh in between or curse like usual.

In the middle of one of my multiple attempts something unexpected happened. Kakyoin interrupted us.

"Jotaro that's enough, now I want you to try the move with me." Kakyoin stated, ignoring Star and I's wide eyed faces. I was taken aback by the sudden change in plans.

"Why are asking me to dance with you? Star and I haven't even gotten close to doing it properly." I asked, my confusion clear in my tone.

"I just want to move on is all." Kakyoin replied simply, like it was obvious. I stayed quiet, his answer not helping me calm my thoughts. I looked at Star only to see him looking back at me with the same confused glance. I sighed, tugging my hat down. I gave Star a half assed shrug. No use in trying to think it over, it hasn't helped me in the past so it won't help now.

Star quickly faded away beside me. I took this as my queue to get into position with Kakyoin.

I started dancing with Kakyoin, and much to my dismay. I didn't magically improve. I was still able to keep my former determination from burning out, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't get this step right. I was struggling to make my feet parallel, which caused me to throw Kakyoin off balance.

Wait, Kakyoin. I just realized, he isn't looking at me again... I was so caught up in trying to do the dance properly for him that I completely missed the fact that he was staring at my forehead instead of my eyes. I would've guessed that he was just looking at my stubble, which I made a mental note to shave off tomorrow, but no. He was staring at my forehead, and the only hair I have up there would be my eyebrows and the start of my hairline which I know isn't fading.

Is Kakyoin, deliberately avoiding eye contact with me? What happened to the guy who wouldn't hesitate to hit me with Hierophant's tentacles whenever I looked slightly away from my partner's eyes.

"Why are you looking at my eyes, didn't you say eye contact is key?" I questioned him. Kakyoin seemed startled by the question, his eyes widening for a second and his body going rigid. The look was gone a second later but I saw it clear as day. We stopped dancing, Kakyoin's gaze going from my forehead to the ground.

"Yes, I did say that." Kakyoin paused, "Sorry."

"Why aren't you looking at me?" I asked, my curiosity rapidly growing.

"It's nothing." Kakyoin quietly replied.

"If it's nothing then why aren't you looking at me?" I pushed him further.

"I can look at your eyes just fine." He retorted. He slowly lifted his head, and let his eyes hesitantly drift to my own. We resumed dancing shortly after making eye contact.

     Now that I was looking into Kakyoin's eyes clearly for the first time today, I saw Kakyoin's true emotions. I was able to see beyond the front that has been putting up for the lessons today. Kakyoin was, remorseful. I immediately stopped dancing.

"What's wrong Jotaro, why did you stop?" Kakyoin asked, his tone laced with confusion. I stayed silent. "If we aren't going to be doing anymore dancing I will be leaving now." He said, now sounding more irritated.

"Kakyoin wait." I bluntly stated.

"I should get going now anyways, I have to... eat dinner." Kakyoin said half heartedly, sounding awfully unsure at the end of his sentence. Without thinking I grabbed Kakyoin's wrist as he was bending down to grab his school bag. He looked up at me and his body looked like it got racked with shivers.

"Stay."

.~*~.

1597 words

(Unedited)

I am so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so SORRY!!!!! This past week has been kind of crazy with work, my midterm shit is coming up soon so things were...yeah. Every night for the past week I have fallen asleep in the middle of writing because I've had to start really late, hence me not uploading last weekend. Please forgive author-chan! I will try my best to have the next chapter out next Saturday, so expect me to update again next Saturday. Other than that, sorry not sorry for the cliffhanger. It was my own way of keeping myself hyped for writing the next chapter and keeping my dear readers on the edge of their seats for some heavy jotakak action. So until next time (for real this time)!

~A very sorry Author-chan T^T

Continue Reading