Beautiful Scar

By 95McQueen

Scarlet is known for many things. The adoptive daughter of General Homes. A brutal and yet intelligent Captai... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 26

1.2K 66 14
By 95McQueen

James and Jakel were surprised to stumble upon each other in the morning outside, along the open corridor to the Warriors' Study.

"Oh, are you supposed to see Captain Scarlet, Lord Jakel?" James started first. He was slightly relieved to see a familiar face in this foreign part of the palace. He went out earlier to ensure he wasn't lost and arrive late.

But seeing Jakel made him realise that the Lady Captain wasn't just expecting him it seemed.

Jakel was alarmed.

He did not expect to stumble upon one of the suitors, especially this early on. Ah, he should've considered the possibility. He was already worried if he made contact with Captain Scarlet, since if it wasn't for General Collins, there was no reason for him to be here.

And he couldn't simply say he was going to see General Collins, especially when they were warned—

"We have ways to dispose those that are deemed as threats..."

No, being threatened seemed more accurate.

"Ah, I thought I could see Captain Lance, instead", he managed a lie, "to navigate my way around for the remaining days before the expedition matter".

James didn't response right away. And Jakel was trying to control his gulp.

"That's clever" said James, it was probably tamer to seek Lance instead of Scarlet.

"Well, I'll go ahead then", Jakel cleared his throat and went further ahead, not wanting to stand around with James.

That was too close for comfort. He hastened his steps.

But James wanted to follow suit. However, seeing Jakel had put a distance between them, he withheld from asking further.

He just wanted to know where he was heading. Seeing Jakel, he seemed well-coordinated with the layout of this area. Was it due to his forgery and weapon-smithing background? He was not terrified to be in this place.

"Oh my, why is a young talented doctor standing in the middle of this corridor?"

An older man's voice caught him by surprise. He turned behind.

Even Jakel halted as he heard the voice echoing.

General Collins.

James swallowed a gulp. "G-general Collins, sir..."

But Collins' eyes had traveled further to the other suitor. And he grinned, "Ah, Lord Jakel, I'm glad you could make it".

Huh?

James was stunned.

It was not Lance that Jakel was meeting with. And he was starting to get nervous.

"Would you like to join us, Doctor?" Collins turned back to him. He saw the shock and fear in these two suitors' eyes. And when James did not respond, mouth slightly parted in shock, Collins cleared his throat again, "I presume you have an appointment with Captain Scarlet, is it?"

Then, the mention of another fearsome warrior returned him back to the present, "Ah, yes-yes. I apologize for my lack of response".

"None taken at all", Collins waved it off, his people skills interacting with non-Warriors were terrifyingly good. And Collins gauged further. "May I know what time your appointment with the Captain is? If you have time to spare, why don't I take both you and Lord Jakel for a tour, well at least around my division".

James checked his watch and sure enough, he was still considered early. Too early. He miscalculated the timing and looked where he got himself into. He really didn't need to find out that Jakel was meeting with Collins, let alone meeting or talking to one of the fearsome Generals of the Silverstorm Kingdom.

Ah, he recalled. He even miscalculated the timing to poison Scarlet as well.

And there was no way this place allowed a stranger, a commoner to loiter around in this warrior house. He would be asked to leave, and not waiting for his reply, Collins merely patted his back, pushing him to walk ahead.

"Let's go first and not block people's way, shall we, gentlemen?"

And without meaning to, James followed Collins, joining Jakel who was waiting ahead.

****

"Your Majesty, if you don't mind sharing with us, which of the suitors is attractive in your eyes?"

"Ah, I'm very envious, to be blessed with young eye-candied men in close proximity".

"I heard Prince Dylan is a fine bachelor".

"Really? I heard he's a womanizer".

"I prefer Prince Neville or Prince Zuber, one is very charming, one is rather quirky, but cute, nonetheless".

The young duchesses and noble ladies around Fina's table chuckled and blushed at such talks and thoughts.

Fina sipped her tea, listening to their whimsical chatters.

The guests today accompanying her breakfast were...rather dull.

If she wanted to talk or gossip about young men and available bachelors, she would've gushed about it to her close Lady Companions!

And her close friends' reactions were much more amusing.

Scarlet would look impassive and would comment that she read too much romance novels. And would start to penalize any flaw she found in the men if she knew them.

Lydia would chuckle and offered her ears to listen, asking her further on how he was like, what he did to make her remember him so fondly.

And Brie would heartily and always jokingly said, "I don't care how he looks like, but is he rich? Can he sponsor me too?" which always ended up making Scarlet criticizing Brie instead and Lydia easing the banters.

Of course, there were other ladies she dined with who held better conversations. But today is none of those.

Often, those informative gatherings were hosted by the Queen, her Mother.

Her Mother was lovely and intelligent.

So intelligent that the institute, where Scholars and apprentices pursued their studies, was named after her, The Athina's Institute.

In fact, her Mother was part of the group physicians in treating Scarlet's burnt skins, when Homes brought her in.

Maybe it ran in her blood, her parents were fond with...sincere people. Who wouldn't?

"I think Lord Jakel and James are quite attractive too, but I could never be as above and beyond as Your Highness, courting someone of a...different social background than the rest of us".

What a futile jab.

These group of people seemed fine to be living in superficiality.

She put her cup with a sharp clink on the saucer.

"Ah...I'm suddenly feeling unwell", time to act frail.

"Oh my, are you alright, Your Highness, do you need us to call the nursemaids? The physicians?"

"It's alright ladies, it's just a small headache. I would be good and about if I rest..."

"To trouble your way to entertain us, please rest Your Highness, we could always redo our session again".

Control from smiling. "You're too kind, Duchess Ayra", slowly Fina acted, "If you insist, I will take my leave. I apologize for cutting our talks short", she gave a small nod. And slowly took her steps away from them.

And as she turned to the corner of the bush, she heard snickers already.

"Could you believe the things the royals serve us?"

"This off-putting foreign cuisine does not suit my palate at all"

"I hope the strong smell doesn't stick to my dress"

"And why are they serving commoners' dishes?"

Instead of ignoring, Fina's blood boiled instead.

Oh, that was not a good way to start the day by soiling the Princess' temper.

"Miladies!"

But it seemed Martha entered in first. And the ladies immediately went silent. "It may be improper of me to say this but please do not insult the arrangement crafted by the Princess, herself. She put her thoughts when preparing them. If you are displeased, please seek her and talk to her instead".

Oh, Martha...Fina smiled and made a dash before she got scolded by her instead for ditching the tea party.

****

"Ooof"

In her haste, Fina bumped into someone.

But the person did not falter back.

"Princess Fina?"

Fina looked up and saw it was Neville. He held her by her shoulders, ensuring she was not hurt from hitting him. And she gave her an innocent smile. "Good morning, Neville".

Neville turned away from staring her down. When she did these kinds of motions. The Princess really had a way with men's heart.

"Good morning, Fina, may I know why you are in such a hurry?" he asked as he released his hold on her.

"Can you keep a secret, Neville?" she had a cheeky smile. There it went again.

Instead of taking walks around the town on his own, he ended up following Fina's pace.

And as they were farther a bit from the bustle of the towns, they came to a small hill, with a big tree canopying the creatures underneath its leaves.

Fina simply took a sit on the thick visible roots, not bothering the dirt. And she patted an empty space besides her, inviting him to indulge her.

Neville awkwardly sat besides her.

There was a slight breeze, easing Fina's mood.

The hill overlooked the Kingdom's town not far from them, tents of various colours apparent in their eyes, showing the market operating as lively as ever. Business as usual.

"Tell me Neville, what are we going to do with the armistice?"

That caught him off guard.

Initially Neville thought it was natural to obtain a peace treaty if they join hands in marriage, but now, it seemed Fina was considering this now, as though he wasn't her choice anymore.

Fair enough, after discovering the truth, the depth of the war, he didn't know. He was shipped to his studies abroad and no one, no one bothered to be transparent with him. Not even his own father. The king.

And well, no one wanted the killer of their family members to be their in-laws, do they? Even if they were royalties.

Sensing Neville was stunned, Fina further prompted, "Or would you like to surrender yourself, your kingdom to me, and be my war trophy?" she turned and looked him in the eyes. Her voice was not sweet as before.

That glint, he saw it once before, during James' failed attempt to harm Captain Scarlet. And now he was staring so closely into them.

Gulp.

Fina chuckled instead sensing the fear in his eyes.

She wondered, she was not really impacted by the onslaught but her early childhood, she felt the anguish, the pain the people around her went through. She saw all her Father's general warriors came and went, making the dining table seats empty by the days, never to return or to be traced.

The emptiness and horrified eyes in the young older cousin of her Lance when they butchered his parents, her aunt and uncle, when they took him in during his refuge, haggard and unkept, unlike a Prince.

And then Scarlet, when Homes brought her in. She was wrapped in white sheets, blood seeping through.

But she was a child of wonder, she sat by her bedside when she was treated, curious. And when Homes told her it was a girl around her age, she was elated. And slowly, alongside Lance, she dragged Scarlet into her world and kingdom.

"Are you scared of me when I'm like this?"

Fina changed the question instead but it still held the same weight.

And for the first time, it sank in heavily – his inability to swim, his ignorance to not know the actual story between his King and Fina's father, why Scarlet was tasked to kill him.

Neville felt very inadequate. Ignorant. Foolish even.

He learned of lone Queens and Reigning Queens in other Kingdoms but he never really dealt with them.

Their cruelty and viciousness were just as equal or could be much more wicked than any Kings and Emperors.

And like any amazing leaders, he admired them.

But to offer and match the tenacity of Princess Fina of the Silverstorm Kingdom was another thing he didn't take account for. And to be her lover, her consort, crowned King, her equal.

He was the one who was naïve.

But before he could say anything, he heard a snap of a twig, he immediately pulled Fina in his arms and held out his blade.

"Take it easy there", it was Captain Lance and Officer Miles. Lance only smirked watching the scene unfolded. How he quickly protected Fina.

Well, Scarlet's regime seemed to be working.

"I understand you want to spend some time alone together but don't walk out on your own without a Warrior stationed with you, Fina", Lance addressed to his cousin.

Fina only pouted. "So noisy, you know eventually I'm going to be higher ranking than you in the Warriorship".

"Well, now you aren't, so act as a Princess while you still can. Get spoiled and pampered for the time being".

Fina stood up, wiped her bottom dress from any leaves and chipped of tree roots and twigs stuck on her dress, and slung her arms into Lance.

"We're busted now, Prince Neville. I'm heading back, are you coming with?"

Lance only looked at him, impassively.

He could never do anything to redeem, especially the feelings that Lance might have towards him, or to this royal family. The one that wiped out his family. The one who made him a royal orphan.

"I'll come in a bit, please go ahead Princess".

Lance looked at him and only nodded at the instruction, "Officer Miles will accompany you back then".

"Let's talk again, Neville", Fina smiled, the sweet smile she often won the hearts of men with, but now Neville couldn't feel the sweetness at all. Instead the thumping in his heart was fear and anguish.

****

A soft knocking resounded in front of Captain Scarlet's office door.

Scarlet knew who was behind there so she didn't ask further, "Come in".

And entered Prince Zuber.

Scarlet put down her pen and looked on as the Prince approached her desk, now standing in front of her.

"Prince Zuber, the map if you please".

~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10 0 7
There is a famous story about the strongest warrior around the empire of Claveria. A woman leading an army of strong men who always bring victory to...
1.6K 66 8
It was a beautiful beginning. She was a precious princess who was treasured by her father. Her life should have been filled with beauty, without wint...
245K 12.2K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...