Chicago

By krector

When all is said and done, it's a family. More

Waited a lifetime
Blind spot
Its too dangerous
Patrol
Shes slipping
Im done
Jay
Im sorry
Feelings
New beginnings
Every time
Firehouse 51
Arson
Your blessing
Wedding
Kim
Shot
Where's Voight?
Prove him innocent.
Mom would be so proud of you
No one should have to make this decision
Tell me im doing the right thing
We looked happy
To new beginnings and everything, right?
I can handle it
Politics
Part 2
I believed him
The past comes to haunt
They didnt really love me.
Its your dad, Jay.
War hero
To save lives
Hi Dad
This job, how do you do it?
I got you

Bad dream

295 2 0
By krector

The next morning..

Mouse had mentioned to Jay that he wanted to go back into battle. Jay wasn't too happy. Said that if he wanted a war there was one right here in Chicago. But mouse wasn't giving up.
Adam POV:

I went into work earlier than usual to get some stuff done. I heard some moaning and cries coming from the break room I walked in to see Jay.

Confused on why he was here I woke him up,"Jay, hey, man, wake up." I said and he woke up startled and swinging "hey,hey, it's alright." I said "woah, woah, you okay? You alright?" I asked as we both relaxed a bit.
"Yeah, man, I just came in to take a nap." He said
"A nap? It's seven thirty in the AM, man." I said confused
" what's the you doing here so early?" He asked
"I had to do some paperwork." I said and he began to walk out.

" you sure you're alright?" I asked
"Yeah, man, it's just... bad dream." He said but it was more than that, I could tell.

Nobody POV:

Jay went on a case with an old military friend trying to get in on a gun deal. About an hour into the deal things went sideways and his friend was killed. Jay tried to save his life but it was too late. Brooke and the team waited downstairs for him. When he came in he was covered in blood.

"Jay, are you okay?" Brooke asked with her hand on his chest.
"I'm okay." He said but she knew he wasn't "I'm ugh, I'm going to head to Med. Brett brought in a witness." He said and left.

Jay POV:

I headed to the hospital and found Brett.
"Hey, Brett." I said
"Halstead, how are you?" She asked
" I'm okay." I said
"Yeah?" She asked and just looked at me "talk to me." She said

"I've... I've seen dead bodies and I've seen people shot in front of me. But ugh... I've never seen somebody... take a bullet that was meant for me." I said
"I'm sure he would've done the same thing again if given the option." She said and I nodded. I stayed until they gave us an update and then the phone went off. They had found the guy who shot him.

Nobody POV:

Jay was the first at the empty building. He searched and searched. He found blood and followed it only to find another military guy on the ground bleeding. Jay tried to control it. He didn't hear the rest of the team come in. It was like he was back in war. Everything was fuzzy and tuned out. He was doing CPR.
" Jay, he's gone." Hailey said but he didn't respond. "Hey, come on." She continued.

Like a reflex, jay pulled his gun and pointed it at Hailey.

" Jay." She said but he didn't lower it "JAY!" She yelled trying to snap him out of it.

Kim looked at her partner, heartbroken. She didn't know he had gotten this bad. She didn't know how to pull him out of it either.

Brooke walked up him raised at the father of her child. "Jay, put it down." She said "you're not in the war anymore. Jay, you're home. It's okay. Count to three, one, two, three. Now put the gun down now, Jay. Put it down." She said and Jay slowly put it down take a deep breath. Jay just left without saying a word.

About an hour later he radioed in his location and went after the killer of his friend.

Hailey POV:

By the time we got there it was too late. He was crouching near a body.

"Jay? You alright?" I asked
"Yeah." He said
"What the hell happened?" I asked and he just stood up and stared at me. Something was off with him.

Brooke POV:

Everyone got back to the district. Jay went to get coffee. I followed.
"Hey, how you doing?"
"Best as I can be. Thanks, for uhh, before." He said and I nodded.

" listen, what you and mouse went through and what you carry is real. And you know that if you ever need my help carrying it, you just have to ask me. Why are you not listening to him?" I asked
" because going back is not the right move for him." He said
" for you.  Him going back is not the right move for you. But if it was, if you were the one that wanted to go... would you let anybody stand in your way?" I asked and he just stood there thinking.

Next day...

I went to get coffees and Hailey caught up to me.

"Hey." She said
"Hey." I said
"So how is Jay? I mean is he getting the proper help? That wasn't him the other day. It concerns me." She said
"Hailey, you dated him and you're his partner. But I will handle Jay. I've been through this with him before. What concerns me is that you haven't and you didn't know how to stop him from shooting you yesterday nonetheless help him through this. I've got it." I said and went inside.

Hailey POV:

I followed her in and Jay pulled me into the interrogation room.
"What's up?" I asked
"About yesterday, I'm sorry." He said
"You getting the help?"
"Hailey... I just came to tell you that the shooter..." I said

"  I knew he wasn't gonna make it." He said and I just let it sink in.
"Jay, your crossed lines, you didn't render aid."
"I know." He said
"That's official misconduct, you can go to prison."
"Hailey, please."
"You need help, Jay." I said and walked out.

Jay POV:

The funeral was after shift so everyone was getting ready. Voight pulled me to the side.
"I just get the message from ivory tower. They want you in leave immediately. I couldn't be in more agreement. You need to talk to someone, get your head on straight." He said

"Sarge, I'm fine." I said
"You're not, and that's okay too. Just don't fall down the hole too deep you can't climb back out. Now go." He said and I left.
We all headed to the funeral.

I had my military uniform on. Brooke sat next to me and grabbed my hand. Seeing all our friends there and how many we were missing made me realize maybe I did need to get away. So I decided exactly that. After the funeral some of us went back to the district. I told voight first.
"I think you're making a smart decision. You're desk will be here when you get back." He said and I nodded. Everyone started to get word. Hailey came up to me.

"Stay our of trouble." She said
"Not my strong suit." I said and smiled
"Take care of yourself, Jay."
"Yeah, you too." I said and left.

Brooke POV:

I got home from Molly's.

"Jay, you home?" I called out but now response. I walked into our room to see him packing a bag "What is this?" I asked

" I love you and I wanna stay." He said "but I'm going to go to my brother's for a little while." He continued.

" who I was back then, I'm not proud of it. And I know you think everything's behind, but it's not. And I gotta sort that out. And I just don't think I should be here right now." He said
"Whatever it is, I can handle it." I said
"I don't know I guess that's what I gotta go figure out now. I just can't put you and our son at risk. I'm sorry." He said giving me a hug and before I knew it he was gone.
"Jay.." I started but it was too late

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

625K 10.6K 35
โ› ๐—›๐—˜ ๐— ๐—”๐——๐—˜ ๐— ๐—˜ ๐—•๐—˜๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—˜๐—ฉ๐—˜ ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—Ÿ๐—ข๐—ฉ๐—˜ ๐—”๐—š๐—”๐—œ๐—ก . . . โœ ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—›, ๐˜€๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ ๐—บ๐—ถ๐—น๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ป๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ด...
51.1K 633 84
The story of Penelope Lillian Voight Everyone else apart from her I do not own. Some story lines I own whereas some I take from Chicago Pd, Chicago m...
338K 4.8K 72
Detective Jay Halstead has some family problems to deal with, his sister and her husband abandoned there daughter Charlie at Chicago Med, will Jay be...