Transformed [W&W Book 1]

By NelleIvy

Theresa and her sister Daphne flee from the magic of their wizardress aunt who has been controlling them and... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
W&W2: Threatened Preview

Chapter 39

55 18 56
By NelleIvy

Theresa sat in frustrated silence. After a couple of minutes there was a sharp knock on the door.

Theresa stood up and opened it even though she did not want to see anyone. She doubted it was Daphne; her sister would be off somewhere sulking.

"Trying to make everyone in the tavern and inn aware in on the fact we have two highborn ladies here?" Wildwood asked mildly.

Theresa's eyes widened in horror. She had not been thinking rationally.

She had just been so angry with Daphne. She was still angry at Daphne. Her sister could be such a thoughtless fool.

"Fortunately Jim had the presence of mind to cast a silencing spell when you woke him up, so no one but us heard you two after you two really started shouting."

Theresa felt instantly guilty. Wildwood had taken so many precautions and she had almost sabotaged it all by screaming at her sister.

Jim had been exhausted from maintaining spells the entire way and now he had to wear himself out more by covering for them. "I'm so sorry. I just..."

"Heard the happy news?"

"Yes." Theresa did not even bother to pretend that she liked the situation.

"I will admit that Sir Thomas did choose a rather poor time to propose to Lady Daphne," Wildwood said with a frown.

Theresa paused. If she found this so frustrating, how much worse might he be feeling that her sister was marrying his protege?

Theresa decided to try to take his mind off her sister's plans. "I still should not have gotten upset."

"Perhaps, but I've observed that you've much on your mind."

Theresa nodded. "I'm just really worried. But it's no excuse for being careless." Theresa's shoulders sagged.

"Everything will work out," he told her.

Of course he had no way of truly knowing that. Her aunt was a powerful wizardress. There were countless ways this whole endeavor could go wrong and only one way it could go right.

Wildwood must have been able to see the dark direction her thoughts were taking. "Lady Theresa, you are not alone any longer. I will do everything in my power to make certain that she does not take you again."

Theresa looked into his deep eyes and felt an odd sort of assurance that she could not quite identify. It was like trust but it was also more than simple trust.

"You should get some rest, my lady," Wildwood said, breaking eye contact. "Sir Thomas will see to your sister's safety."

He moved towards the door.

"Wildwood?"

He paused with his hand on the door. "Yes?"

"Thank you," she said. She really should have, he had done so much for her.

"You're welcome. Good night."

"Goodnight."

* * * * *

Theresa never heard Daphne return to their room. She supposed that she must have, because Daphne was already dressed and ready to travel when she awoke. Daphne ignored her studiously.

Theresa decided nastily that it was perfectly fine if Daphne did not want to speak with her, because Daphne was an empty headed little fool who contributed nothing of value to the conversation even when she did have her mouth open.

As they continued to travel, Daphne's silence became increasingly more unnatural and uncanny. Never before had Daphne been able to stay angry at Theresa for such a long period of time. Usually she grew bored or needed something and gave up pouting.

It seemed so odd to Theresa that she began to wonder if Thomas had cast some sort of spell on Daphne to silence her. Theresa would not put it past Daphne to ask him to do so to prove her point.

It seemed unthinkable for Daphne to hold a grudge for so long. Of course, Theresa herself was not particularly pleased with her sister and she fully intended to win their battle of wills, but it was a bit unnerving.

Surely, Daphne would come crawling back begging for forgiveness soon enough. It had always happened in the past.

Theresa was jerked out of her resentful thoughts by Wildwood's voice. "We'll be arriving within the hour."

"Excellent," Theresa agreed even as dread filled her. She was not sure what was worse, facing her aunt or facing a king saturated in Francine's lies.

"Lord Wildwood," Jim said from his perch atop the carriage, "A small group approaches. There seem to be no wizards, but I sense magic clinging around them."

"Be prepared," Wildwood ordered and all the wizards and guards in the party observed the oncoming group with rapt attention.

For her part, Theresa tried to sit like a bored, impatient boy would atop her mount. She tried not to look nervous, but she worried that she failed miserably.

"Greetings, strangers," Wildwood called as they came into sight. Theresa forced herself to stop fidgeting with the reins in her hands. She reminded herself she was well disguised and Wildwood would take care of it.

"Greetings, my lord," said a gruff voiced man from out of the group. Something about him felt off. She tried to look at him without appearing too interested in what was happening.

"How can I help you?" Wildwood asked; a warning in his tone.

The man ignored caution. "What is your business on this road?" Theresa could see his face more clearly. It did not look familiar.

He was not old and had nondescript features, except for several scars running across his face and disappearing under an eye patch. She felt quite sure that she had never seen him before because she certainly would have remembered. But still he made her feel terribly wary.

"While I do not believe it is any business of yours, I am escorting my great aunt to the capital. Now kindly remove yourselves and allow us to pass," Wildwood said.

It was not a suggestion, so Theresa was surprised when the man did not immediately move.

The man who had stopped them looked carefully around their party. "We are searching for two missing ladies. We will be checking your vehicles, my lord."

The fact anyone was searching vehicles for her on the road to the capital seemed ominous. She could feel her heart pounding her worry.

Hopefully Daphne kept her head if he checked in the carriage. They were well disguised as long as they did nothing suspicious.

"And shall I assume that you have the king's permission to be stopping and searching vehicles on his road?" Wildwood asked casually. He looked straight at the scarred man who swallowed visibly.

"Why, of course, my lord," he agreed.

Wildwood shrugged nonchalantly. "You have nothing of the sort. Are you thieves and highwaymen that you assault innocent travelers? The king takes a very dim view of that sort of behavior."

It was an understatement. The penalty for preying on travelers was quite often death or a long stay in the prisons, which was essentially the same sentence.

Even sheltered as she had been Theresa had heard horror stories of that place and she privately wondered if the execution was not preferable to life inside.

"My lord, of course we are nothing of the sort. We are simply men who were hired to search for a pair of lost ladies!" he responded quickly with a note of alarm in his voice. Perhaps he too was thinking of a stay in the infamous dungeon.

"And how should I know that you speak truly?" Wildwood asked with clear threat in his voice.

"My lord, have we assaulted you in any way? Have we stolen from you?"

"You are assaulting my patience and stealing my time even as we speak," Wildwood pointed out dryly.

The scarred man seemed unsure of what he should do next. Theresa tried not to smile.

"I know nothing of these lost ladies, but if it settles your unease, I will allow a brief inspection of my train and my man at arms will accompany you. Alone. Travel is difficult for my elderly aunt and I would not prolong her discomfort any longer than you have already."

The scarred man inclined his head, and said, "Yes, my lord."

There were several tense minutes while one of the armed men accompanying them dragged the man on a very shallow search.

Apparently Daphne was sufficiently convincing and they soon backed off and allowed the group to continue without further difficulty.

After they were well out of earshot, she heard Mister Allendale comment jovially, "That was a letdown. Thought we might actually have some excitement on this trip. Should have known Lord Wildwood would handle it."

Theresa had experienced quite enough exciting trips to last her forever. She strongly hoped that Mister Allendale would remain thoroughly disappointed.

It was after midday when the caravan reached the capital. At first there were only occasional farms, a few houses, and a single inn, but as they continued the buildings became thicker and more people went around about their business.

They passed a checkpoint without incident once they reached the city proper and Wildwood directed them straight towards the royal castle.

Theresa had never seen so many people in one place. It was rather overwhelming, like the celebrations her aunt had had, but only a hundred fold and with far more class diversity.

People moved around, hurrying in their own directions. There were horses and wagons and pedestrians all around the street and merchants sold various things from buildings and stalls or from baskets they carried. Their group kept close together as they moved through the teeming masses.

Finally, Theresa caught her first glimpse of the royal castle. It was by far the largest structure that she had ever seen; it dwarfed both Waldwick and Wildwood.

It glistened white in the sunlight and she wondered what the construction material was. She suspected that it was expensive. Both her castle and Wildwood's were built out of common grey stone.

Theresa's mind wandered through what she knew of the king. He had ascended the throne almost a decade previously when his father died.

Since then he had been generating gossip at an alarming rate. Theresa wondered if it was something about him or if it was simply that people were obsessed with the lives of those above them in society.

Theresa shrugged. It hardly mattered. Only one thing mattered, that he took her petition seriously.

Much was said about the king, both bad and good and often contradictory. He was a foolish tyrant who lived only for his own pleasures. Yet, he had many supporters who believed he was fair in his judgments. Other people had complained about his exuberant spending and taxing and still others argued his punishments were unusually harsh.

She had also heard criticism of the queen, who was not quite proper according to some with a more conventional mindset.

Theresa's gradually clearing memories supplied her with a vision of a man who was alert and observed the people around him, likely a favorable trait in the dangerous position of royalty.

She hoped that the rumors of his fairness would hold true rather than the multitude of ill ones.

Theresa tried to think of what she would do if she ended up back in Francine's power but she could hardly even imagine it.

Theresa sighed. She had come this far and she would see it through. She tried to turn her attention to enjoying the magnificent building ahead of her. It was impossible.

They arrived at the castle gates and Wildwood spoke to the guards. The group was allowed to pass through without issue.

The disguise and muting spells were removed from the sisters. Theresa felt naked in her true appearance, there had been comfort in an anonymous appearance.

The group dismounted from their horses and Theresa followed Wildwood into the main building.

Theresa noticed that Daphne was walking beside her. She was surprised. She thought that Daphne was still angry.

"Theresa?"

"Yes?" Theresa asked.

"I thought I should apologize for what I said about your suitors and all that," Daphne said. "I was just trying to make you angry."

It certainly had worked, but her anger had died down a bit. Theresa looked at her sister. "I thought you were still angry with me."

Daphne shrugged. "I still am, a bit, but I think we should not be fighting right now. There's too much at stake to let petty differences divide us. I'm worried about what Francine might do. She's here, isn't she?"

Theresa nodded. Daphne was correct and it was annoying. "Maybe not in the royal castle, but she probably is in the capital since some of her men are nearby. There was something about that scarred man I found most disturbing."

Although it had been gratifying to see Wildwood put him in his place.

Theresa and Daphne waited while Wildwood talked to a man in gaudy bright clothing.

Daphne's brow furrowed. "I don't want to fight with you, but I'm not giving up Sir Thomas," Daphne said suddenly, with a frown on her face.

Theresa sighed. "I know."

"I don't understand why you don't like him."

"It's just a feeling I have," Theresa explained defensively. She knew that it was a poor argument.

"Well, I have a feeling, too and it's a good feeling, Theresa."

"I know, I know. It's your life. You should decide. I know that," Theresa said in a resigned voice. Daphne going through life with Thomas was probably at least better than being enslaved by Francine if they could manage that.

Daphne seemed surprised at Theresa's easy acquiescence. "Thank you," she responded, sounding more confused than happy.

Theresa was not sure why Daphne was thanking her. Perhaps because she was not fighting her.

Theresa sighed. It seemed that Thomas had firmly planted himself in Daphne's life and there was nothing that Theresa could do to dislodge him. She wondered if maybe she should try to be friendlier to the pest. Hopefully he would at least treat her sister with kindness.

Daphne spoke again, more quietly. "And I am grateful that you saved me from that spell, Theresa. I just thought you would know. I would not have done as well as you if I had been a cat. You're so much stronger than me."

Theresa was saved from having to awkwardly answer by Wildwood. "It appears that we will immediately be able to get an audience with our king."

"Really?" Theresa asked, both excited and nervous.

Then she realized that she was still dressed as a lad and wondered how that would influence the king. Probably not for the better. She swallowed hard.

"It seems so. We'll follow the herald and he'll announce us."

"I can't believe it's happening so fast," Daphne said apprehensively.

"It seems unreal," Theresa agreed.

"I believe I did tell you that I have friends in surprising places, my lady."

The brightly clothed herald began to lead them through the castle. Theresa paid scant attention to where they were going and hoped that she would not be expected to find her way back.

In what felt like mere moments they arrived at great carved doors. There were two guards standing outside and they nodded at the herald and opened the doors.

Theresa's head spun; she had never imagined they might get an audience in the same day. She had thought she would have time to prepare, but instead they would immediately be able to see the king.

Theresa took deep breaths and attempted to control her nerves.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

951K 37.9K 141
Two girls. Two secrets. Only one can survive. Years before Nelle Wychthorn plans her escape, Tabitha Catt may unearth something in a Horned God's lai...
103K 3K 35
She's smart, she's witty and she's sick of watching egotistical witches and wizards preying on those who can't -- or, in this case, won't -- stand up...
448 210 16
How far would you go to save your loved one? What if you have magical powers and the means to bring back the love of your life? Kennedy has that chan...
31.5K 4K 54
All Feyla Everbloom wants is to leave her past behind and marry her fiancé, Sedgewick Alverdyne, a mage and the Minister of Magic. But when a wizard...