Transformed [W&W Book 1]

Από NelleIvy

Theresa and her sister Daphne flee from the magic of their wizardress aunt who has been controlling them and... Περισσότερα

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
W&W2: Threatened Preview

Chapter 36

62 15 61
Από NelleIvy

The next two days went by in a flurry of activity. Theresa woke on the day of their journey feeling almost surprised that it had arrived.

Still, she was nervous about petitioning the king and worried about the possibility of encountering her aunt again.

"Any questions?" Wildwood asked. Theresa realized that she had not heard a single word of his explanation of the plans for the journey. Theresa was surprised at the size of the caravan that would be accompanying them.

Besides those she had already been aware of, Mister Allendale was also coming to function as an additional wizard, although she had no idea what magic he specialized in.

Before she left the castle, chef had told Theresa to take care and that she hoped to see her back at Wildwood one day soon. Theresa had made no promises. She did not know where her journey would end, but she doubted it would be at Wildwood. She would miss the chef and her assistants, though.

Besides the six of them, there were also three men at arms, two grooms and a maid who would function as a ladies maid for Daphne and Theresa during their time in the capital.

Theresa found it rather overwhelming, especially when she remembered that she had been prepared to run out on her own a few days before. Did they really need all this?

Wildwood clearly thought they did. Theresa did not argue, because she was coming to believe he knew exactly what he was doing. He was not particularly expressive or communicative, but she recognized that was because he was occupied a great deal with what was happening inside his own mind.

He was certainly a pleasant change of pace from the loquacious Daphne. She really did love her sister, but there were times when Daphne's talkative presence could be tedious to the extreme.

As for Wildwood, there was something about his company that relaxed her and put her at ease, especially now that she had determined she could trust him.

He made an excellent and reliable friend. She could not quite put her finger on what it was, but she found she enjoyed being around him quite a lot.

But there had been little enough of that of late. Wildwood had travelled around his estate on business a lot the last few days. She did not know the full extent of his holdings but they seemed to be larger than her own.

It was a wonder to Theresa that he had made time to help her and Daphne.

She supposed that her gratitude had been a long time in coming. However, it was difficult to be grateful when one was sharing one's mind with an aloof cat. The cat that had shared her mind loved herself with the fervor of the worst human egotist and felt mostly bored detachment for other creatures, with a few notable exceptions.

Theresa again wondered if her time as a cat and the spell which remained upon her were not still affecting her personality in some way. She had no idea what facet of her was herself and what facet might be temporary or even permanent effects of the magic.

"Are you ready?" Wildwood asked, bringing her out of her intense thoughts.

"Yes," Theresa agreed although she felt anything but.

Theresa could feel the magic running through her while Wildwood cast a disguise spell.

She had been wary when he first suggested altering her appearance, but she had agreed when he explained that it was only her appearance, not her actual self that would be altered. It was much like the spell that Jim had used to change a jar yellow. The jar had not changed in any actual way, only the way light bounced off it.

Wildwood's spell felt far less intrusive than Francine's, possibly because he was not actually changing her, or perhaps because she had, for once, been given a choice.

She felt the magic stop running over her. "Are you done?" she asked.

"Yes," he agreed.

"Did it work?"

"It did. You look like a young man. You appear to have unremarkable brown eyes and hair."

"Excellent." She smiled.

Appearing as if a boy had been Theresa's brilliant contribution to the disguise idea. If she looked like she was male, she could ride astride a horse without anyone raising an eyebrow or remembering.

There was also a carriage, but she planned to spend as little time as possible inside it. Doubtless Daphne and Thomas would spend a great deal of the journey deep in conversation. She rather wanted to avoid getting enmeshed in that.

Theresa was already prepared; she had dressed this morning in the guise of a young but not particularly wealthy nobleman. It was the perfect disguise.

Wildwood disguised Daphne next. When he was finished, Daphne looked to be incredibly old, complete with wrinkles, and grey hair that reminded Theresa of her time as a cat. Daphne in front of her sister.

"You look so strange," Daphne said. "You still look a little bit like you, but as if I had a brother. It's quite odd."

"No odder than yourself. You look like an ancient crone, except you move like you're young. And you're carrying a bow and quiver."

"I suppose I'll have to try to act old if we see anyone. My bow will be hidden in the carriage, so that's hardly an issue."

"Lord Wildwood said that our disguises are just a precaution in case Francine has spies on the roads near the capital. He doesn't want her to have forewarning, nor anyone to remember seeing us. Although I suspect that this caravan alone is probably just going to make us stand out."

Daphne shrugged. "What if it does? Sir Thomas and Lord Wildwood are simply escorting an old relative and her great grandson to the capital. It's what any gentleman would do. Besides, we're safer with them around."

Theresa wanted to argue but she was actually beginning to agree. If anyone was capable of protecting them, Wildwood would be the one.

Even Sir Thomas could prove to be useful, she supposed. He had healed her ear, as loath as she was to admit it. If he could keep his mouth shut and his eyes off her sister she might even learn not to dislike him.

"I suppose so."

Thomas came outside and Daphne jumped. "Oh, there is Sir Thomas! I don't want him to see me like this!" she fretted.

"Why? He knows it's just magic," Theresa pointed out dryly.

Daphne was not convinced. "I look like I could be his grandma."

"Actually, more like his great grandma, or his great great—" Theresa teased.

"Theresa!" Daphne cut off Theresa, her face filled with equal parts horror and irritation.

Then Thomas walked up to them. "Sir Thomas!" Daphne fairly squealed in an unnatural tone.

"Lady Daphne? Lady Theresa? What effective disguises. I would not recognize either of you if I was not already aware of who you were going to pose as," he commented evenly.

He turned to Daphne. "Shall we go and wait in the carriage? It seems that everything is prepared."

"Yes, please. This all feels so odd," she said and she and Thomas left.

Theresa heard Daphne commenting on how strange it was to have a spell on oneself. Theresa rolled her eyes. It was just a light disguise spell. She should try being transformed into an actual animal.

Theresa went and mounted Dancing Storm. The horse moved beneath her and suddenly she could not wait for the journey to begin.

She watched as Jim placed muting spells on the entire group. They would be more difficult to notice and most importantly, it would completely conceal any magic from outsiders.

This was especially important when one considered that she alone was bearing a transformation spell, a counter transformation spell, an untraceable spell for her aunt's magic and a disguise spell after today's work.

While she could not really sense it herself, she was assured that she was saturated in so much magic that even an incompetent, barely trained wizard could not fail to notice. Apparently even someone untrained who had magical leanings might sense that she was surrounded in spells.

She was assured that with Jim shielding her, she would not be detected.

After only a short wait, Wildwood mounted his own horse and a moment later they set off.

Daphne, Thomas and the maid rode inside a carriage being pulled by a team of horses as they began their journey. The carriage was driven by the unpleasant groom and one of the wizards would be seated beside him the entire way, keeping their magic senses sharp. Jim was the first to keep watch and he seemed to be enjoying himself.

There was also a cart which carried most of the luggage and other supplies being pulled by another team of horses and it was being driven by the other groom. There were were extra horses hitched to each vehicle.

Mister Allendale sat beside the groom and looked as if he was ready to fall asleep. Theresa knew that he had been working hard to get everything prepared for the journey.

The men at arms rode in strategic places throughout the group. They seemed relaxed and well trained. One rode at the front beside Wildwood; he seemed to be the leader. Theresa followed directly behind them.

She listened passively to their conversation which revolved mainly around matters of the journey.

Theresa watched the passing scenery as the rhythmic movements of the horse lulled her. This was indeed a better way to travel than rushing away on foot in the middle of the night. She smiled.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

103K 3K 35
She's smart, she's witty and she's sick of watching egotistical witches and wizards preying on those who can't -- or, in this case, won't -- stand up...
20.9K 2.5K 62
Catch up with your favourite Vamps and Witches, and discover what else is lurking in the shadows of London! This is the second part of Alice Gray's a...
1K 232 21
When Bryony -- herbalist extraordinaire -- goes missing, Bella knows one suspect stands above the rest. The village's aspiring second witch, Daphne...
82 2 5
In this post-war world of the Dark Lord Voldemort being defeated, magic is illegal and danger lurks around every corner. Hermione Granger, now a 21-y...