The Royal Stranger

By varshachindam

Vrishali was popularly known as the life of the party. She had a natural ability to make friends with anyone... More

Welcome
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
Epilogue
A page from my journal
The Royal Commoner

6

23.5K 1.4K 71
By varshachindam

"Ma, I'm not understanding anything. There isn't anyone to help me. I feel so lonely here," Vrishali spoke sadly as she looked at the room's walls.

"Vrishali, it's okay. I'm sure Naina would help you with the saree." Vrishali ended the call and groaned out loudly.

Her so-called mother-in-law, Diya Kumari, ensured no one helped her. Vrishali knew Diya Kumari hated her, but she hadn't expected her to start her hating game so early.

On her third day in the palace, Vrishali has yet to sleep in the same room as Padmanabh. Tonight is their first night together, and she is feeling extremely nervous. She hadn't seen him yesterday as she had spent time with Naina and Rajmatha Falguni Singh, who made her feel at home. Vrishali misses her parents and cousins very much.

Riddi and Nandhini called her often and teased her about the first night. There was a knock on the door before Naina entered the room, making Vrishali smile.

"Thank god you are here! I was going to call you." Vrishali spoke as the six-year-old Akshay and three-year-old Akshita followed their mum behind.

"Why aren't you ready yet? I'm sorry about my mum. She tends to do things when she doesn't like something." Naina spoke, rolling her eyes.

Naina and her mother aren't talking regularly as she married a guy she fell in love with. Her father, grandparents, and even her cold-hearted brother accepted Arjun, but her mother couldn't.

"I never wore a saree in my whole life. I don't know how to drape it." Vrishali said shyly.

Naina laughed. "It's okay, Vrishali, even I used to have a problem with sarees. But YouTube became a lifesaver."

Naina helped Vrishali with the saree. Vrishali concentrated on how Naina was draping the saree. Akshay and Akshita got bored and ran away to where their dad was.

"So, you and Arjun shifted to Mumbai because of Arjun's business?" Vrishali asked.

"Yes, we both met in London. He was my senior, and I was the scared, shy junior. His friend's sisters were my friends, so we got the chance to hang out together. Fast forward, here we are with two kids, living our life together."

"Hmm, I always believed I would meet someone, fall in love, travel and then marry the person," Vrishali says with a frown. Naina saw the sad frown on her face.

"Vrishali, I used to believe I would marry the guy my parents chose. You know, arranged marriage, but fate has planned differently. Cherish the things which happened. Maybe you will be happier than you ever thought."

Vrishali signed deeply. "I know my mum can be a pain in the ass, but my grandparents, especially dadi(grandma), are friendly and good. My brother may not show or express his feelings, but trust me, he cares deeply for his family. I agree he is boring and doesn't enjoy life, so it's up to you to change him."

The pair giggled as they gossiped about Padmanabh. Naina told her about his education, childhood, and friends.

"He only had three friends? Like even in college?" Vrishali asked, confused.

"Yeah, he is too picky." Naina is doing Vrishali's hair. Vrishali's nervousness has now increased. Soon, she will experience her first time with a stranger... Okay... Okay... It's her husband, but heck, they never spoke.

She is still determining if she is ready. She doesn't want to get intimate with the man she barely knows but a part of her. A part of her that is eager to experience. Vrishali scoffed at herself for thinking about the experience.

Naina said Padmanabh has his lavish private apartment in the palace. It is restricted to entering, and now Vrishali is excited to see the apartment.

Her hands are heavy with red and white bangles. The bride's mother-in-law presents a set of Lac and Ivory bangles in red and white as a symbol of acceptance. These unique bangles are known as Chooda, and the bride is to wear them for at least a year. Taking excellent care of them as breaking them is considered a bad omen.

She looked beautiful. Vrishali couldn't believe herself as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. She is the girl who always wears dresses, ripped jeans and shorts.

Now, seeing herself wrapped in traditional clothes covering her body was new to her.

A small part of her felt trapped in a web called marriage. She knew there would be many hurdles, but she needed to learn about the future.

"It's time." A few girls entered her room giggling. Vrishali smiled at them. They were Naina's cousins.

Vrishali bites her lip as many thoughts roam in her head. Is she going to sleep in the same room as him?

Rajmatha Falguni Singh smiled, seeing Vrishali. Diya Kumari stood beside Rajmatha Falguni Singh, clearly showing her dislike. Vrishali felt shy as the girls in the back and Naina started joking.

Vrishali used to crack so many dirty jokes with Hailey, but now she is here without her close sisters or friends and feels awkward and lonely. Now, she is the complete opposite of what she was. It scared her; she is known for her wild character with her girlfriends, but now. Vrishali shook her head and took a moment to calm her mind.

"We only have access till here; wish we could walk till the door," Naina spoke, gesturing Vrishali to go.

"Don't worry, ask him to be gentle. He is waiting for you. Now go." Rajmatha Falguni Singh spoke teasingly.

Vrishali started walking towards the hallway. She took her time observing the walls and paintings. They looked so beautiful and old.

She stopped at the enormous doors. She didn't know what to do. So, without knocking, she slowly opened the doors. Her mouth dropped, and her eyes widened as she watched the whole place.

It looked different; her curious eyes looked around, basking in every sight. The walls are blue, with Rajasthani architecture covering the whole place.

It was like a private royal suit; she hadn't seen him yet. She needed to remember everything as she started observing the place in detail.

She snapped out of her bubble when she heard the sound of a knock. Padmanabh walked inside gracefully with papers in his hands. He looked at her; his gaze shifted to her bangles and the rings.

Vrishali's nervousness and anxiety kicked in seeing him. He is wearing a white kurtha and pants. He looked too good to be real.

He gestured for her to sit. Vrishali sat down on the sofa. He sat on the single sofa, placing the papers on the table.

"Your parents informed me about your fashion design degree and college. I want you to continue your college and finish your degree."

Vrishali listens to him carefully; she is surprised he spoke to her parents regarding her education. "I have applied for the online course, and your present college agreed to your online course. You can join online classes when the new semester begins. If you don't want to do online education. You can join any local campus, and I will help you with the admission."

He pushed the papers to her side, "These are your student admission renewal documents. The other file contains the list of campuses here."

Vrishali looked stunned as he explained everything. He spoke with her parents, contacted her college administration, renewed her student documents, and brought a list of new colleges. Her gaze shifted to the golden bracelet on his right wrist. He is wearing her bracelet.

"Wow! You are very different from what I thought." Vrishali spoke out without thinking. Padmanabh frowned, hearing that when she was grinning, going through the papers.

Padmanabh stood up to leave as he needed to work on the projects. "Where are you going?" Vrishali asked as she saw the man stand up.

"I will be there in my office, you can watch TV. If you are hungry, there is food in the kitchen." Padmanabh said. He stood there for a minute before leaving.

Vrishali slumped down. She felt happy he didn't claim her like the typical husband after their marriage. A part of her is sad that he didn't even care to try something.

Padmanabh slowly turned around to look at her. She is good in saree, he thought before entering his study. He knew she was forced into this marriage, and he didn't want to take her everyday life away. She is still a kid in his eyes who needs to enjoy life to its fullest.

He doesn't want her to stop her education or change herself for anyone. Vrishali was so deep into her thoughts that she didn't see Akshay and Akshita entering the suit.

"Mami..." Akshay said, walking towards Vrishali with his sister. Vrishali looked at the two in surprise.

"What you two are doing here?" Vrishali asked.

"Nani(grandma) wanted to sleep with us. She took us to her room, and then she sent us here saying we need to spend our time with you and Mamu before we leave for Mumbai," Akshay explained, not understanding why his Nani lied.

Vrishali rolled her eyes at her sasu-ma(mother-in-law). She understood it was a plan and was scared we would do the deed.

"This is cute," Akshita said, touching the bangle. Akshay set the book and pencil bag on the table beside Vrishali.

"Which class are you in?" Akshay asked, making Vrishali laugh. Akshay frowned, just like his Mamu.

"What's so funny?"

"I don't go to school," Vrishali spoke.

"Mummy and daddy said, good girls, go to school. You are a bad girl if you don't go to school." Akshita said in her babyish voice.

"No, baby, I'm going to college. I'm studying fashion design." Vrishali said, ruffling Akshita's hair.

"Fashion design?" Akshay asked confused. Vrishali thought about it. "Hmm, I'm learning how to draw dresses and then how to make clothes," Vrishali explained in simple language.

"Really? Then can you make the Superman costume? Mummy brought a Superman costume last time, but it was too loose." Akshay is now excited.

"Will you make me a long brown dress with brown wings?" Akshita asked softly. Vrishali laughed, nodding her head.

"Okay, I will make your clothes, but you must help me draw." Both the kids agreed, giving her the book and their pencil bag, which has coloured pencils.

Vrishali stood up with them in search of the bedroom. She wants to lie down and draw. She found it and was surprised to see how big and beautiful the room was.

The trio scattered on the bed and started working on Akshita's dress first. Even Akshay said a few things to add.

"Why brown colour, baby?" Vrishali asked Akshita.

"It's my favourite colour, and even daddy likes it," Akshita replied.

Padmanabh walked into the hall with his file as he didn't want to leave Vrishali alone and make her feel lonely. He decided he could go through his file in her presence or try to have a simple conversation. He didn't see her, so he checked the kitchen. She wasn't there, he went to the bedroom.

He watched in surprise as Vrishali was now lying on her stomach, drawing something. Akshay and Akshita were scrawled around her.

"Mamu!" Akshay yelled, making Vrishali sit up straight. It wasn't easy because of her saree.

The rest of the night was spent with Vrishali drawing everything Akshay and Akshita asked while Padmanabh sat on the sofa working on his files. Occasionally gazing at the trio who are whispering and laughing.

*

Vote, comment, follow and share...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.1K 3.4K 39
"Even you know Vivek our marriage is not normal, and it can never be one." I cried out to the person standing close to me while taking 2 steps away f...
302K 11.6K 26
"You still love her? What do you mean by that? you love her when you are the cause of her sorrow? you love her? don't forget the fact that you were...
92.7K 6.9K 11
Sometimes we all become unwanted by someone we wanted the most. The pain, torture, suffering, anxiety, yearning we all go through is invisible to oth...
59.7K 2.4K 21
All she believed is love and all she wanted was a married life with the person who loved her. Ended up getting married to a person, she loved, and ca...