The Royal Stranger

By varshachindam

Vrishali was popularly known as the life of the party. She had a natural ability to make friends with anyone... More

Welcome
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
Epilogue
A page from my journal
The Royal Commoner

5

25.2K 1.3K 154
By varshachindam

Happiness. . . happiness is in the air. The old mothers are shedding tears, hugging their grandchildren whom they have last seen many months ago.

The mothers hold the cheeks of their grown-up kids, who stay away from home, while asking why they aren't eating. Men talked with their long-lost friends and brothers as they made jokes about each other while others talked about the share market.

Kalyan Mewar and Deepa Mewar looked at the new couple on stage who were performing the last wedding ritual. Deepash used his wife's hanky to wipe off the tears.

Gauravi internally rolled her eyes as she watched her husband cry continuously. "Deepash, stop crying. Vrishali will cry if she sees you crying."

"How—how can I not cry? When my only baby is getting married," Deepash spoke, looking at his beautiful daughter, who was making a face. Riddi and Nandhini giggled as the sindoor(vermilion) fell on Vrishali's nose. "No problem, beti; if the sindoor fell on your nose while the groom applied it on your head, it means he will love you the most." The priest spoke, making Vrishali scoff.

Padmanabh frowned at Vrishali as she started wiping the vermilion powder on her nose, messing it up by spreading it on her face. To his surprise, he held her face with one hand, whipping the mess on her face. Vrishali's eyes widened in surprise as he slowly and gently helped her. Diya Kumari frowned, watching her son.

The photographer captured the sweet moment with his camera. Riddi started filming, and the audience, primarily young adults, was awed. Some aunties from the groom's side started gossiping about the bride's skin tone colour.

Padmanbh is fair-skinned like his mother, while Vrishali is dark brown, which made some of the relatives frown, not liking the choice of bride for Padmanabh.

"I don't understand why most relatives are so noisy?" Riddi spoke as she heard comments from the aunty groups who gossiped together instead of watching the wedding.

"They just need a reason to taunt someone or dig into all the flaws," Nandhini said, faking a smile when one of the aunties turned to Nandhini.

Nandhini used to suffer from acne. All her relatives who would visit them for festivals used to give tips for skin care. They used to taunt her and make jokes about her skin acne in private.

Things changed when Nandhini stopped caring about them or her acne. When she stopped stressing about it, her body reacted positively. Her skin got clear now, but she couldn't forget the comments and humiliation she faced in her adolescence.

"Don't they look cute together?" Riddi spoke, watching her little sister Vrishali and Padmanabh. Nandhini smiled, "Indeed."

Vrishali licked her lips as she felt thirsty. She didn't eat anything as it is said that the bride needs to fast on her wedding day.

The wedding is over, and everyone gets on stage to wish the young couple well. Can't they wait till reception? Vrishali thought as her stomach growled.

Padmanabh looked down at the little lady. She is in deep thought, a frown on her face. He understood the look on her face, not wanting to make her wait. He turned towards his sister, who stood a few feet away.

He signalled her to stop the relatives so they could leave for lunch. His sister nodded her head in understanding. "It's already past five. The groom and the bride didn't break their fast. It's time they eat something. We can have our fun at the reception," Naina announced.

Before anyone could walk toward them, Padmanabh gently held Vrishali's arm, gesturing for her to start walking. Vrishali snapped out of her thoughts, stepping to where she didn't know.

Naina smiled at her brother and his wife as they followed her. Vrishali followed the elegant woman before her. Vrishali needed to find out who the lady was. But she knew she was important as the man behind her was smiling at the lady.

Vrishali smiled at the people who were making way for them. They walked into a private dining area; Vrishali's eyes widened, watching the beauty of the dining hall. Her wedding is happening in the city palace.

When she sat down, a deep sigh left her mouth. Her wedding lehenga and jewellery were too heavy for her to carry. She had never carried such a heavy dress or jewellery.

Naina chuckled as the Royal kitchen staff immediately started serving the food. "Hello, I'm Naina Kunwar. Your husband's elder sister, I'm sorry I couldn't meet you soon."

"Hello, I'm Vrishali Mewar. You don't have to apologize. I hope to meet you when all this ends." Vrishali spoke softly, smiling at Naina.

Vrishali's eyebrows frowned when the man beside her hissed before saying, "You are not a Mewar anymore."

"Calm down, brother, Vrishali, please don't mind his words. My brother doesn't know words like gentle and kind." Naina rolled her eyes.

Ignoring his words, Vrishali asked, "Where are my parents?"

"They are taking care of relatives. They will be here soon. Why don't you start eating? There are a few rituals left." Naina spoke. Vrishali nodded her head, taking the water glass.

"Hmm, aren't you going to eat?" Vrishali asked Naina.

Naina chuckled. "I already ate with my husband. Only you two and family members didn't eat."

Padmanabh stayed quiet as he waited for the girl to eat. She started with sweets on her plate. He didn't understand why she ate the sweets first instead of rice or chapati.

"Padmanabh, you can start eating now," Naina said, stopping Vrishali. Padmanabh glared at his sister before eating.

They both silently ate as a man with two kids entered the hall. Vrishali looked at the three, confused, as they walked toward Naina.

The man is holding a small girl, and beside him is a little boy. "They are fighting again." The man said, sitting beside Naina.

"Vrishali, meet my husband Arjun. Arjun meet Vrishali." Naina introduced.

"Hello," Vrishali said with a smile. It's nice to meet you," Arjun said.

"Vrishali, meet my naughty son Akshay and my daughter Akshita," Naina said, pointing toward the kids. Vrishali chuckled as the boy, Akshay, pouted, folding his arms.

"Baby, say hi, mami(auntie)," Naina said softly to her kids.

"Hi." The girl shyly waved her hand at Vrishali, making Vrishali awed at her cuteness.

"Hello, you are so cute," Vrishali spoke.

"Is she going to take our mamu(uncle) away?" The little boy asked out loud.

"Akshay!" Arjun scolded his son, pulling him close. Vrishali chuckled softly. "No, you can keep your mamu with you," Vrishali spoke.

"Really? So he is going to visit us for the holidays." Akshay said, eyes widening with excitement. Padmanabh, who stayed quiet constantly, is now looking at Vrishali.

"Padmanabh visits them in January when they have half-yearly holidays. We live in Mumbai." Naina explained this to Vrishali.

"They love their mamu so much," Arjun said. Vrishali looked at Padmanabh, who was looking at Akshita.

Vrishali wanted another sweet but was too shy to ask in front of the new people. Her eyes lit up when her Dadu and Dadi entered the room along with Padmanabh's grandparents.

The veil slightly covers Vrishali's face. "Give my baby another bowl of Gulab Jamun." Deepa Mewar said, looking at Vrishali.

"Dadi. . ." Vrishali said, embarrassed as her parents and her Dadu laughed.

Vrishali looked confused when they reached the Samode Palace. The palace is filled with close relatives and family friends.

"I can't wait for the rituals to start." Riddi beamed happily.

"True!" Nandini agreed. Vrishali looked at them. "Why? Why do we have so many rituals." Vrishali groaned, looking at the people in the hall.

"Oh. . . Oh. . . These are post-wedding rituals. These rituals are going to be so fun! You and your husband are going to play games," Riddi said.

Vrishali's eyes shifted to Radhika, standing beside them with a frown. Radhika looked like she was going to explode with rage anytime.

"Games? I'm too tired!" Vrishali spoke loudly, making Naina and Padmanabh turn their heads to see a yawning Vrishali.

Riddi, Nandhini, Hardik, Manav and Aadi chuckled. "Haha, you aren't our baby anymore. My God! I can't believe you are married. . . That too before all of us," Manav said, pointing at his cousin's gang.

"Why? Are you sad that you couldn't marry before me? If you want to marry, I will talk with Dadu and Dadi. They will arrange for you, and you will be in shock when they bring your bride by tomorrow," Vrishali said.

Naina laughed along with the others. "Vrishali beti, come here. The ritual is about to start." Deepa called.

Vrishali walked to where her Dadi and everyone sat. Everyone is sitting on the expensive mat on the floor. A few elderly people occupied the sofas and chairs.

Vrishali smiled before sitting where her Dadi patted. She looked at Padmanabh, who sat beside her with his family behind him.

Vrishali looked at her side to see all her family, including cousins and the bride's relatives, sat on her side. "Okay, let's start the icebreaker. I can't wait to see them playing," Naina said.

"As you know, you both will play wedding games with rituals attached to them. The prizes are unique. The one who wins the games has the upper hand in their relationship and rules the house." Rajmatha Falguni Singh spoke softly.

Vrishali listened to her words carefully. She doesn't want to lose these games. She didn't want him to have the upper hand. Vrishali looked determined.

"Your first game will be 'find your name in the Mehandi'. The rule is simple: the groom has to search for his name in that intricate design. After finding the name, you must gift the bride something of yours," Deepa Mewar explained.

Riddi and Nandhini looked excited as they sat beside Vrishali. The professional photographer is filming the whole thing. Hardik pulled his phone out along with Riddi to film them.

Even Naina is doing the same. They looked at each other before chuckling. Padmanabh held Vrishali's hands as he started searching for his name on her hands.

"Oh. . . Oh. . . Look at her Mehendi colour. So red― means our Padmanabh will love his wife so much." Rajmatha Falguni teased her grandson. Making some of them laugh.

Diya Kumari scoffed, looking away. She has been moody throughout the wedding. She doesn't like this wedding, and it is happening.

Padmanabh appeared determined as he searched for his name, while Vrishali pondered over her gift.

Finally, he found his name, and now it was time to give his wife a gift. He looked at her to see the slight excitement in her eyes.

This is the first time he has looked at her closely. Her eyes aren't black; they are brown, and she has a small mole on the left side of her chin.

"Pacho, are you going to stare at her all night?" Naina teased, patting her brother's shoulder. Vrishali blushed as he snapped out of his bubble and handed her his pinky finger ring.

It is a simple platinum band. Vrishali accepted the gift. "Wow, Vrishali, congrats! He gave you his favourite ring. Eh. . ." Naina teased.

"Okay. . . Okay. . . The second game is 'untie the knot'. You see the sacred thread around your wrist," Deepa Mewar spoke. Vrishali nodded, looking at the red and yellow thread around her wrist.

"You both have to untie each other's thread using only one hand. Whoever unties the knot first has the upper hand in the household decision-making."

The second game started. Vrishali and Padmanabh started untieing the knot one by one. By the end, Vrishali grinned happily as she was the first to untie the knots. Thanks to her nails. . .

"It seems like Vrishali is going to have the upper hand in the household decisions," Sawai Bhawani Singh said.

"What are you going to gift him, Vrishali?" Aadi asked. Everyone looked at him, confused.

"What? He gave her a ring in the first game. Isn't she going to give him something, too?" Aadi asked in confusion.

"Hmm, the bride never gives a gift, but why not? It's her wish to give him something or not." Everyone looked at Vrishali.

It wouldn't be good if she didn't give him anything. She looked at her jewellery and removed the bracelet she always wears. It was her birthday gift from her parents.

She handed him the bracelet, which he accepted. "Let me help with that," Naina said, putting the bracelet on Padmanabh's wrist. The good thing is it is a plain gold bracelet, not a bangle.

"Now you both have even points. It's time for the third game," Deepa Mewar spoke. The staff members brought a huge copper bowl filled with milk and rose petals.

"It's my favourite game!" Riddi spoke.

"Don't worry, you will play the game soon," Manav said to Riddi.

"We will be putting this ring in this bowl. You both must search for the ring among other little things we have put. You can use only one hand. The game is played three times. The one who wins more than once is the winner," Gauravi explained.

The game started, and they both started searching for the little ring in the bowl. They bumped their hands many times.

The first time, Vrishali won, and the second time, Padmanabh. This is the third time Vrishali has to find the ring.

Vrishali's eyes widened when she found the ring, but Padmanabh found the ring as well. They were pulling the ring in the bowl, making everyone laugh.

Vrishali glared at Padmanabh as he didn't let go of the ring. Padmanabh raised his brow, seeming amused by the game and the lady.

He held his ground, not wanting to lose the game. He enjoyed seeing the frown and concentrated look on her face.

Vrishali blushed when she saw the slight smirk growing on his face. After a while, he let go of the ring, making her win.

"What is this? You are losing Pacho," Naina said.

"Yes, Mamu(uncle), you are losing!" Akshay said. Riddi and Nandhini chuckled.

*

Vote, comment, follow and share. . .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.8K 732 28
"Arranged?." I asked. "Yes. " She replied. There comes a time in your life when you feel utterly guilty of leading a life you never wanted. But the...
1.9M 124K 56
Chitra, has always been the forgotten princess, neither the king nor the kingdom remembers her, probably as her mother was never a royal. Her life wa...
163K 10.4K 56
Some people enter our life so unexpectedly at a time we never expect. They make a serious impact in our life but then they leave. But very few time...
161K 12.5K 18
♡Book one in Destiny series♡ **If you are interested in cute and romantic story line then this the exact story** "Don't think that you married me and...