Love And Betrayal | ✔️

By chrisbardot

Four allies; one mission. Take down the tyrant. This should be easy considering they're the Chosen Wolves. Th... More

S Y N O P S I S
AESTHETICS + PLAYLIST
INITIUM
P A R T O N E
1. Luna on the loose!
2. I'm doomed
3. It's him
4. Revelations and resolutions
5. Surprise or shock? (I)
5. Surprise or shock? (II)
6. The past is back
7. Blind As a bat
8. Kiara on a killing spree
9. Revenge gone wrong
10. I'm off duty, Carter
11. She's her own person
12. Just not meant to be
13. You'll know it tonight
14. I smell blood
15. The midnight chase
16. No need of complications
17. The blame game
18. Fate and fortune aren't my fans
19. Rejected by the rejected?
20. The tale of the unfortunate pawn.
21. Toxic masculinity, so hot
22. Downstairs department
23. Shh, she must never know
24. Sisters, misters and pink aprons
25. Discovery of the Key
26. Heaven or hell, here I come
27. Unlock me
28. Leave me, leave me not
29. Big bug confusion
30. Horny Hot McHormones
31. Long after you've gone
P A R T T W O
32. When life throws you lemons
33. Bad at confrontations (I)
33. Bad at confrontations (II)
33. Bad at confrontations (III)
34. You will never learn
35. Backup the backup plan
36. Death can't keep us away, love
37. Come home for christmas
38. Cut a deal with the devil
39. Don't be a coward
40. Break my heart in two
41. Drunken deeds and sober talks (I)
41. Drunken deeds and sober talks (II)
42. My sister, my keeper
43. Stupidity or treason (I)
43. Stupidity or treason (II)
44. Leave me no choice
45. The Grandmaster's game
46. Show me you meant it
47. Stay one step ahead
48. In the jaws of the big, bad wolf (I)
48. In the jaws of the big, bad wolf (II)
P A R T T H R E E
49. Set the trap
50. Mark your prey
51. Betray with a kiss
52. Cloak and dagger
53. Moonstones and Vengeance
54. Operation Trojan Horse (I)
54. Operation Trojan Horse (II)
55. Healing me softly
56. Awake at last
57. Always have, always will (I)
57. Always have, always will (II)
58. Truths and lies
60. The battle begins
61. The great rescue (I)
61. The great rescue (II)
61. The great rescue (III)
62. Mind over matter
63. Hubris leads to doom
64. Safe & sound
65. In the days after (I)
65. In the days after (II)
FINIS
FAQs: You asked, I answered

59. The night before last

8.4K 507 120
By chrisbardot

I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of the world alone.

—Arwen Undómiel
(The Lord of the Rings)

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

WOLF MOON NIGHT arrives sooner than I would've liked.

I had spent the next few days overseeing the progress of the labyrinth. The remaining entrances from the three Pack-houses were found and dug—credits to Cerberus who had been breathing down their necks until they did.

Meanwhile, Ariana and I weren't speaking times. Our bond had grown so silent over the last few days it was painful. I know she's angry. But even more so worried. She channelled all that pent up emotion into training harder than ever.

With each passing day the security reports had grown more extensive. The Guardians demanded daily briefings. Exhausted and drained, and I've lost count of the number of coffee cups I emptied on a regular basis to simply keep my eyes open.

The perimeter is secured. Every member is trained. It didn't matter if you're is seven or seventeen, self defence is a crucial. Because Greyhound doesn't make exceptions. He's unhinged enough to slaughter just about anything with a pulse.

The Initiation Ceremony ended six hours ago. A low key event—with only Ariana, Ashton and I along with the elders of our Pack.

And now, arrives the daunting moment.

The hour before midnight, when the full moon will be at her highest.

I stand in front of the mirror, in the black combat suit. Sleek and metallic, the fabric gleams in the light. Daggers strapped to my thigh and in the inner lining of my boots and swords on my back—I'm ready.

Except, I don't feel I am.

The reflection in front of me is not of a twenty year old girl, but that of a Luna responsible for her pack. The truth weighs heavily on me.

"You were born for this." I remind myself, when the girl in the mirror falters. "It is why you became Luna."

The crowd is growing as I descend the stairs. Tension coils around my people like a python. Fear looms in the shadows. Eyes glance towards the main doors ever so often.

To an outsider, this may look like a normal event—a simple gathering on the night of the first full moon of the year. But we werewolves know better.

It's a ruse; a facade.

And we all have our parts to play.

Aden is waiting at the foot of the stairs in his suit, the emblem of the Dark Wolves is pinned to his left shoulder. In black leather gloves and a holster strapped to his waistband, he looks every inch an Alpha.

It's astonishing how easily he had managed to integrate himself into every aspect of my life without even trying.

His grey eyes soften when he sees me. "Hey."

He can hear every thought I share, feel every flicker of emotion I feel. The bond that bound us together had only strengthened over the last week. Kinda romantic and dangerous.

He wraps his arm goes around me and pulls me towards a secluded corner of the room. "Ariana came to me." He cuts right to the chase. "She had some interesting things to say."

Dammit. I should've known she'd grow desperate enough to pull something like this.

"Lately my sister's level of interest in my life defies imagination." I say. "But it's nothing to worry yourself over."

He looks unconvinced. "I can feel your emotions through the bond. I know something's been on your your mind all week." A pause. "She believes you're upto something stupid."

I arch an eyebrow. "What do you think?"

He looks at me flatly. "Sweetheart, knowing you, I can guarantee you are."

I sigh. "I know what I'm doing. Just trust me this once."

Silence.

Crickets chirp awkwardly in the background.

Aden's mouth is pressed into a grim line. Jaw hard, shoulders stiff, the vessel in his temple is ticking like a time bomb—all the signs before a classic Aden explosion.

I watch him warily. "Say something."

He heaves out a long breath. "You're right. I'm worried. I'm fucking terrified."

"But Taylor was right." He goes on, "You're your own person. You make your own choices. I'm not going to force you into telling me before you're ready."

I gape at him in shock. Of all the things I expected him to say, this didn't even make the cut.

It must be killing him because these are the words of the guy who threw a tantrum when I said I'd climb a tree, two months ago.

"Kiara, I know I get possessive about you all the time, but it's only because you are the best thing that ever happened to me." The intensity with which he's looking at me sends warmth flooding through my whole body. "I trust you when you say you have a plan. But think of me before you do something reckless. Because without you by my side, my life has no meaning."

I swallow hard. "That's it? Here I was thinking, you were going to swoop in as my knight in shining armour and save the day."

His lips twitch upward. "That goes without saying."

He leans in and rests his forehead against mine. Smiles a tentative smile.

"I'm not foolish enough to believe there's a happy ending in war. If death is what lies ahead as the prophesy states," His voice sinks into a broken whisper. "I will find you, Kiara. And we will go together."

Tears burn my eyes as I cup his face in my hands and pull him down for a kiss.

"That's where you're wrong, Aden. I will get us that happy ending." I promise us when we separate. "Even if I have to go to hell and back for it."

⬛️⬛️⬛️

Ariana and Ashton are already present by the time we reach the main gate. Elena stands beside them while he goes over the masterplan with Chief Jared. Bella and her husband, Beta Dylan are close—their eyes cold and hardened with resolve

"My mother will aid in the evacuation of all women and children." Ashton is directing the old veteran. "And Ariana will stand guard at the entrance while it is sealed from inside."

"Send half our forces to the eastern border where the security is the weakest. Make sure you draw them into the house. Once they're in, we will surround them all. Not a single one of the rogues should leave our territory alive."

"The other wolf packs have been instructed to do the same. The Wolverines and the Dark Wolves will meet the people in the labyrinth first after which they will collectively head towards the territory further up north. There, they're to lie low until further orders are received. Once evacuation is complete and all the four trap doors are closed, the warriors will join forces."

Aden had informed me the Dark Wolves have already vacated the pack house under the charge of Stella and Aden's mother Diana. Based on the last message I received from the Wolverine Pack, they are half way down in the labyrinth too.

The group's collective attention whips towards me as we approach them.

"Start the evacuation." I order Jared. "Lets not delay it any longer. Leave enough men to make them think the ceremony is real and send the others away. By the time they realize the truth, it'll be too late."

For once, Jared obeys without question. He turns and signals a detachment of warriors to start the evacuation.

The rest of our men are to attack only after the rogues step inside the pack house.

"I'll seal the door shut once they're inside." Ariana touches Ashton's shoulder briefly before stepping away. She turns to me next, blue eyes glinting. Glare so intense, my heart nearly stops. For a moment, I'm sure she's about to say something.

But she turns away.

In the moonlight, I catch a fleeting glimpse of the moonstone amulet around her neck just as she takes off.

I try—try and fail—to keep the guilt from my face.

Elena follows her.

Three of us remain.

Above us, the moon climbs higher. The night sky is clear as it glitters with a the light of billion stars.

The breeze picks up speed. Blows up into a wind. Trees creak and branches sway from side to side. Wayward curls escape my braid as I stare into the horizon.

Ashton exhales. "A lot of us are going to die tonight." He says quietly.

My gaze turns up towards the stars. "But we die so the ones who live, live on in peace."

Minutes pass. The last voices fade away as our pack makes their way down the labyrinth, until only the warriors remain. Once the silence blankets us, we head inside. Lock the doors.

Tonight, there will be no second chances.

No do overs.

Ariana stands in front the sealed entrance of the labyrinth, while the rest of us form a half circle around the giant wooden doors.

Somewhere in the distance a bell tolls, signalling midnight.

The moon is at her peak.

A single howl rips through the air. Followed by another. And another. Until we're drowning in a cacophony of barks and snarls and paws striking the stones.

The ground beneath us trembles.

"They are coming, Alpha." Jared growls. "A battalion approaches as we speak."

We get into position; prepare for the worst. Weapons are drawn. If this is the end, we will make it one worth remembering.

With a blast, the doors are thrown open. The rogues barge in.

And with a roar, we lunge.

⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️⬛️

A/N

Next update: coming Monday. (Yes, you read that right)

#Quick question: Do you blame Kiara for Nora's death?

I'm curious to know your thoughts.

xoxo
Chris

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 1.8K 9
I felt the bed dip as he sat down on the other side but I focused solely on my task until I was done. "This is a pillow barrier. Meaning, you don't b...
359K 11.1K 30
"My body and my wolf may want you but my brain and my heart don't." I said, proud of my words. "They will." ~•~•~•~•~•~ Weird, clumsy, smartass and b...
5.7K 325 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
10.2M 327K 49
BOOK 1 OF THE GIFT CHRONICLES ••• When the Moon Goddess created the first werewolves, she split one soul between the two of them, thus creating a per...