THE PERFECT MURDER.

By asanation-

The Thistlethorn Writing Academy - Thistlethorn for short - is known for its inclusiveness and ability to pro... More

THE PERFECT MURDER.
01
02
03
04
05
06
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

07

181 29 29
By asanation-

        THE FUNNY THING ABOUT SMALL towns is that they love to have social events that require all its inhabitants to culminate in one space. It's the place where most friends come together or fall apart.

Tonight happens to be another one of those tests. Sitting in my bedroom, I make some last small changes to my jewelry, then deem my appearance suitable for the festival. It is themed 'Red and Blue: Thistlethorn's Heart and Glory' to honor the many years this town has been successfully up and prospering, so I go with a simple red dress. I don't bother with the heels, after contemplating on them at the front door, I decide to leave them behind, and wear my converse instead.

It was a good choice, thinking in hindsight now. I didn't realize how much running I would be doing tonight until later on.

"I see you're headed out." My older sister remarks, sitting in one of the chairs decorating on the front porch. Trying not to remark that she looks like a creep sitting in the moonlight like that, I swallow the thoughts and nod.

"Yeah. Doyeon and I are actually meeting up at school, so..." I notice her appearance then frown. "Where are you going?"

"I have some matters down at the police station."

"Wait, did you do something?"

She scoffs. "What? No — lighten up Mai. It was a joke? Bam and I are going out."

I roll my eyes. "Yuck whatever. Save me the details of your little Allie and Noah exchange, I won't be looking for one." I continue my descent down the cemented sidewalk up until I reach the school. When Doyeon and I arrive at the spot in the woods, she grips my hand.

"Usually I'm excited about the festival, Mai. But why am I not tonight?"

"Well," I shrug. "we did just bomb that test in chemistry. I mean, was she serious? Empiricals? We barely covered that last class, and she had even told us not to sweat it." I smile at her reassuringly. "Don't worry. You're just feeling the usual party nerves. And we all are, lately a lot of things have been on edge."

My eyes become stormy at the thought of it. Wow, and even Lisa — as messed up as she is — can make a guy stick around, yet somehow I cannot. Doyeon and I part ways a little later when she spots the rest of her triangle, hanging with their dates.

I've noticed over the years she doesn't like going with a significant other either. Just like me, maybe it's the fact that both of us struggle in that department is what brings us close. Now I don't really know what Doyeon looks for in her heart, but whenever I think about what I want, the only person I think of is...

"Hey Mai." Yeonjun chirps, holding out a cup. "Want a drink?"

I scowl. "What's in it?" The color is blue, probably one of the cool aid flavors they have near the refreshments table. He shrugs. "Tastes like punch to me."

"I would prefer something stronger." But anyways, I chug the cup, then toss it into the trash. I'm sure my lipstick has turned into a deformed shade of purple by now, but I can't find it in me to care. "Anyways," I reach out to smooth my hair. "did you come here with that Dorothy Gale girl?" I snort. "I swear, she probably thinks I'm a witch."

"Yuqi?" Yeonjun shakes his head. "No. Thought it'd be best if I came solo."

"Damn straight." I let out a breath. "You know sometimes the people at Thistlethorn, god, you'd just be better off if you stayed single forever." Then I look at the man who had given Yeonjun his punch cups in the first place. His eyes are on me, of course, and I can already feel the blood rising in my veins. Coming here was such a mistake, because this place is only feeding to my anger.

Yeonjun stares at my side profile, then raises a brow. He probably finds my theatrics weird, but I don't know him well enough to really care what he thinks of me. "Mai," He clears his throat. "that sounded a little personal."

"Yeah, well I speak with experience new kid. It might've been different at your old school but the girls here are ruthless. They'll stomp over your heart and steal it back just to rip it up into shreds. So watch your back." For a flourish, I stomp off, heading straight towards to the refreshments where the familiar teacher stands.

"Mai." He smiles politely, though there is clearly pain behind it. That makes me more mad, if that is even possible. "So, what kind of drink would you like? We have water, soda, cool aid—"

"I don't want any of this garbage." I hiss, then grab his hand, dragging him towards the trees.

🥀

        INDEED THERE IS A STORM approaching. I believe it comes in the warm front — and I mean this with meteorological terms — that's known as Mai. I've noticed her to be pretty brooding and sarcastic, just the opposite of her sister, but I've also noticed their similarities. I can see how they are related. Lalisa will ferociously protect those who she loves, she's confessed that many times.

Because although Lisa has that perfect smile, and perfect reputation representing everything innocent about this town, she can't hide that fire which lies in her eyes. I can see it, and I can see it in Mai's too.

After she stormed off, grumbling about her own woes of the world, I had gone around, socializing here and there with the other friend circles of Thistlethorn. One which I stayed clear of was Lucas Wong's little Red Circle, who actually stand in an arc wearing matching red outfits. They are creepy for sure, but if it's gangs which I have to worry about, then...I'm good.

I have had a share in running into the criminal brotherhood which the town of Thistlethorn loved to dehumanize. Oh yes, just like Mai, my life before transferring to Thistlethorn also had its twists and turns. But like any other excruciatingly long tale, that was one for another bleak day.

It's when I find Yuqi and begin to make friendly talk with her when the beloved Wicked Witch of the West whom rules over Thistlethorn makes an encore.

"Oh." Yuqi smiles politely, though she seems more on edge now. The journalist seems like she's had more than just the blue punch served in cups at the punch table. "Hey Mai."

"I'm surprised you haven't run yet." She remarks, and I notice how incredibly snarky she is today. Mai must be in a horrid mood, she's stating one blunt fact after the other. As if she doesn't even seem to care for the consequences. "I feel like I'm bit too much of a Thymian from 'Diary of a Lost Girl' for your sheltered tastes."

"I think you're drunk." I admit, inching closer to her. "Though you don't smell like alcohol."

"Whatever, new boy." She rakes both her hands through her hair. "Do you ever have the strongest urge to leave this cursed town? Right now I have a good mind to. I hate almost every single living being here."

"That's not a surprise." Yuqi grumbles. Mai shoots her a glare.

"Scram, Song. Yeonjun and I have things to discuss. From one journalist to another."

She looks at me warily, and I raise my lips at an attempt to assure her that I would be fine. Then Yuqi sighs, leaving reluctantly.

"Let's take a walk over there." She gestures to the trees. "I'm in a pretty bad mood, if you noticed, but today you bear the brunt of dealing with it." Mai smirks. "Which is what happens of course, when you try to join everything I'm involved with. What exactly are you trying to do?"

"I'm not—"

"Save me the sap story." She fiddles with the hairband on her wrist. "You hang out with Yuqi. All that girl will do is obsess over how much I'm not like my sister. I am sure she's put in all her opinions of who I am to you, how I'm probably someone who you'd be better off not getting involved with."

"Those were her exact words, actually." I say, sticking both hands into my pockets. Here it's more quiet in the woods, and comforting too. In many stories, the woodlands were often described as bad omens, bringing on the events of something dark and evil. But right now, all I can sense is the quiet serenity of this place. Makes sense why Mai wanted to talk here, it's very easy-going on the nerves.

"Oh yeah? Well she's right. I do not think associating yourself with me is the best plan. Especially for a new student."

"Why?"

"Being friends with me will attract some unwanted attention." I hear her grumble under her breath something about Lucas, but what she says about him is incoherent.

"Like Lucas, you mean?"

"Sure." She scowls. "He is a real piece of work. Don't attract any attention to yourself. Not that you haven't already, considering you're both on the soccer team...but don't make him pissed."

"That's also something else Yuqi said."

"Annoying as she is, I have to agree with her on this too."

"Man, you Thistlethorn girls are weird." I snort. "At my old school, there were only two things people were looking for."

"That is?"

"Sex and drugs."

"Ah, the east side. Charming as always."

"It wasn't all bad, to be honest." I admit, and she looks at me, waiting for elaboration. "Though I didn't exactly fit in with the crowd there. Kinda stuck out."

"You stick out here too, Yeonjun." She shrugs. "Welcome to the club. No matter where you go, the type of personality you have will make you stand out." She's honest, at the most. And definitely doesn't beat around the bush. I don't know if it's necessarily a great thing, already seeing where exactly it could go wrong.

I open my mouth to speak again, maybe bring up what my high school had really been like, when her phone buzzes. Mai quirks her lips at me, raising a finger to say 'hold that thought', and slides the other across her phone.

"Hey Dodo." I'm assuming that nickname is for the brunette called Doyeon.

Mai's monotone expression deepens into a frown. "Wait what? Slow down, you're speaking so quickly."

Then she's quiet for another minute, while I stand around waiting awkwardly for her call to finish. But by now, when she's done talking, her mind seems to be way off their topic of not fitting into the typical high school student mold.

"We need to go." She mumbles, leaving me confused. Scrunching my eyebrows together, I follow after her.

"We?"

"Yeah. Something happened near the lake, and Doyeon's freaking out." She turns on her heel. "Look. You can leave if you want to, but I'm going."

I look at her once, then nod. "Nah, I'll pass on that. Lead the way."

🥀

WHEN I HAD RECEIVED THE CALL from Doyeon, to be honest, I had been a little irritated with the timing. But after hearing her panic over the phone, half muttering half crying about a blue heel and some blood near the rocks, I thought maybe to assuage her and actually be a decent friend, I would check it out. And it made me feel a little better that Yeonjun had decided to stick around too. Based on the awful evening I was having, this was at least one good thing. I don't know why it made me slightly pleased, but it did.

The tall girl stands in her dress, which is a dark blue velvety piece, biting at her painted nails. When she notices both Yeonjun and I, she lets out an exhale, rushing over.

"Oh my god, Mai. You have to see it."

"What exactly happened?" I wince. "You weren't making much sense over your crying."

"Sorry." She wipes at her cheeks. "There's blood near the cliffs. Like at the edge. And a shoe." She points when we arrive. It's not exactly a cliff-side, but surrounding the lake in the thicket is a nature made wall of rock on the northern side. This is the wall which many students use to go diving, or even skinny dipping. I personally hadn't tried before, but I've heard many accounts from Doyeon about how exhilarating diving is.

Taking a look at the sight, I let out a breath. "Doyeon, I think you're overreacting. You must've gotten freaked since it's the middle of the night and there's no one else up here with us."

"But the blood—"

"It's not a big puddle." I reassure. "It's fine, I'm sure someone just busted their foot while trying to go diving. See even their shoe is..." I blink, taking a closer look at the shoe.

"...here."

"Mai?" Yeonjun frowns. "You good?"

I go still, eyes darting from the shoe back to the pile of blood. This scenario sounds very familiar to me, and the reason why is at the top of my tongue. I can't figure out why. Why does this entire scene feel so familiar to me? I think the longer I stay here, the more it'll begin to drive me insane.

"Doyeon, relax." I stammer. "It's fine...just uh, head back to the others. I think I'm gonna' go home."

"Home?" My friend blinks cluelessly. "All of a sudden?"

"Yeah, tonight hasn't been the best of nights, so I'm just going to head out early." I don't stick around for a second longer, pushing past both her and Yeonjun to bolt out of the woods. The more I began to think of it now that I was alone in my thoughts, the more it was beginning to scare me.

Because the setting? Near the rocks at the lake? Blood? One heel left at the scene? It sounded a little too similar to something I had written for my project to just be a coincidence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21 0 77
Everyone has their dark side but some- like ๐™๐™ช๐™—๐™ฎ ๐™๐™ง๐™ž๐™™๐™–๐™ฎ๐™จ, have the darkest. High school can be tough for many teenagers, but for her, it w...
3.7K 200 22
โ™กHendery is a transfer student at Neo Culture Academy on a quest to reunite with his unrequited first love, Ten. He disguises his identity to win the...
367 54 51
An elite Academy situated in the deep woods of Glengarry Forest, Scotland. Big pine trees and other broad trees of oak, neem and tall and thick canop...
dead girl walking By v.

Mystery / Thriller

131 8 5
โ at first i did it because it finally made me feel alive, you know? but then, it just started to be.. fun. โž โ you killed all those people ๐˜ง...