You are the Answer {boyxboy}...

By CatMint5

• Winner of a #wattpad4 contest • Riley's life had not been easy since he came out. His parents kicked him ou... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
What's Next & How to Win Prizes

Chapter 4

32.3K 1.7K 500
By CatMint5

A/N: What units do they use in the USA to describe height? I googled it but I found several answers so I'd appreciate if an American could tell me. Thank you and enjoy the chapter! :)

*****

People would've probably thought me vain if they were to observe how many times I checked my appearance in every reflective surface available; the car side mirrors, the theatre lobby glass panels, people's glasses... I did not miss a single opportunity to make sure a second head hadn't grown out of my shoulders. Okay, a second head was unlikely, but I would not be surprised if an ugly red pimple popped on my cheek or forehead; I was that nervous.

The reason for my anxiety was my not-a-date – as I had to constantly remind myself – with Rhys. I'd been so worried about being late that I'd arrived almost an hour early.

I shook my head at my own stupidity as I remembered I wouldn't even know at what hour to come here if Rhys had not returned to the Milk & Cream to tell me when the movie would start. How had I not had the common sense to ask him that before he left?

I checked the time on my phone – seven forty-two; a little less than twenty minutes were left before the film began so Rhys and Ken – no, Kennedy – should be here at any moment now. I pocketed the mobile device and used one of the windows to take a look at my hair. Fashionably ruffled was how I always described it and I found it the best style for me, but tonight it just seemed like a mess. I couldn't decide if the hairs should stick to the left or to the right or to some combination of those options. I ran my palm over the top of my head but I still couldn't get it right. My fingers jittered, pushing locks one way or pulling them the other until I was fairly satisfied with the result.

It was now time to check the rest of me so my eyes moved to my shirt. It was light but long-sleeved. I preferred wearing long-sleeved clothing even in the summer; that way people wouldn't stare at my scars.

I closed my eyes and shook my head. I shouldn't be thinking about how I got them; tonight was about having fun, getting to know Rhys better and maybe making a new friend in the face of his youngest sibling.

I gazed at the time on the clock app of my mobile and I couldn't believe it had only been four minutes since the last time I'd done that. Only about a quarter of an hour was left before the movie; what if they didn't come?

What if I got the time wrong?

Or maybe it was the day?

No. Yesterday Rhys had said 'Friday' and 'tomorrow'. Today was Friday and yesterday's tomorrow; I couldn't be wrong about the day. Once he'd told me the hour the film would begin, I'd immediately set up a reminder on my phone so I shouldn't be wrong about that either. But what if something came up and they couldn't make it?

We should've exchanged numbers...

"Here you are," the familiar, naturally raspy voice beckoned me to turn around and I did so, letting out a relived sigh. He was finally here.

"I'm sorry we didn't come sooner, but there was a car crash on one of the main roads so we had to find an alternative route," Rhys explained.

"That's okay," I reassured him. It was easy to say that at this point with him standing in front of me and having a good reason for showing up late. My gaze shifted from Rhys – leather jacket surprisingly missing – to the much smaller figure of a freckled boy with similar features.

My first thought about Kennedy was that he looked like a husky; the darker variety which had black fur contrasting with bright eyes. His hair was not black though – it was brown like that of his brothers – but his eyes did shine vividly, to the point where it took me a while to notice anything else about him.

"Nice t-shirt," I commented, pointing with my chin to the black top with a tribal grey print, the pattern forming a howling wolf. The affinity towards this animal must've been a family thing.

"Thanks," he grinned, his teeth almost unnaturally white. "You have no idea how long I've waited to meet you," he added, eyes glinting.

"I've only known your brother for about a month," I pointed out smiling. Things were going well so far.

"Well, I didn't mean you in particular; I meant Rhys' ma..."

"Kennedy," his older brother cut him off. "What did we say about this?"

"Trust first, family stuff later," the boy recited with a roll of his eyes and kicked a red candy wrapper which the otherwise thorough janitor had missed to get rid of. "But you are taking too long, Rhys!"

"You need to learn patience, little brother," the man replied sternly but placed a hand over the boy's shoulder with all the gentleness of an affectionate sibling.

I smiled as I watched the brotherly exchange even though I was rather confused at their words. What was taking Rhys a long time and to what 'family stuff' were they referring to?

"Let's go get our tickets and some popcorn," Rhys invited.

"And sodas," Kennedy reminded, back to his cheerful demeanor. "What's your favorite soda, Riley?"

"Coca-Cola," I replied without hesitation as we walked the short distance to the ticket booth.

"Mine too," he exclaimed with a grin and the thought that his eyes were too bright and his teeth too white invaded my mind again. They gave him an almost scary appearance; it would've been scary, if he wasn't so friendly.

"Three for Rise of the Guardians," I heard Rhys order and reached into the pocket of my jeans to get my wallet and pay for my ticket.

"My treat," he insisted, shaking his head once I tried to hand the cash to the guy in the booth.

"No, I couldn't..." I began to protest and Rhys looked as if he was about to cut me off, but his little brother beat him to it:

"Let Rhys pay, Riley," the boy insisted. "You know, to make up for forgetting to let you know what time to be here." I raised an eyebrow at him so he went on: "If he hadn't told me you were also coming and if I hadn't asked what time we are meeting up, he wouldn't even have told you when you should be here. What kind of date would that have been?"

I startled, all intentions of arguing and paying for my ticket forgotten.

Date.

He had just said 'date', right?

Had he meant it like a date date or a let's-casually-meet-up date?

The man who had until now seemed sheepish at being told off by his younger sibling, straightened up, his jaw quivering once before he clenched it. He ripped the tickets out of the theatre guy's grip and glared at his baby brother.

"Kennedy!" Rhys uttered with a quiet tone which allowed no objection. It was a warning of a kind – one that made me and the man from the booth shiver – but the boy carelessly rearranged his black baseball cap, the two neon lines on it glistening under the lights as he did, before looking almost innocently at Rhys.

"What?" Kennedy asked calmly but his sibling just continued to glare. "Popcorn time?" The boy suggested and led the way to the yummy, buttery treats. As Kennedy walked, he winked at two girls at about his age – by the looks of them they were sisters – and they clustered together, giggling.

"Do you know them?" I asked, catching up with his brisk stride. I couldn't help but admire his boldness. He was only thirteen after all.

"I think I've seen them in school," he replied with a shrug.

Oh, the cockiness in his tone! I could tell the boy would be a heartbreaker once he started dating. Those poor, poor girls wouldn't stand a chance!

"What if they didn't like you?" I kept interrogating the sixty-one-or-so inches of pure confidence he was.

"Everybody likes me," he said matter-of-factly. "Three times large popcorn with three big Coca-Colas, please." His last words were aimed at the woman behind the counter and she began working on our order. "You know, Riley, I'm even Rhys' favorite brother although he tries to treat us equally."

I turned to the man in question with a raised eyebrow. His voice was barely audible as he uttered 'that's true' with that small smile which warmed me up inside forming on his face. The words were probably aimed only at me but as I turned back to Kennedy and saw him smirking proudly, I knew he had heard his sibling.

"I'll pay for these," I insisted when the plump woman placed the three overflowing packages with popcorn and sodas on the counter.

"No, I'll pay for everything tonight," Rhys stepped in. By the sternness in his tone and the determination in his eyes I knew arguing would end up with me losing so I tried another tactic:

"Let me pay for these... Please, Rhys?" I begged with my sweetest voice and the big man seemed taken aback; he even jerked his head backwards. It was obvious he had been preparing for a battle. He was so confused that he ended up looking down at Kennedy, silently asking for advice.

"Let Riley pay this time, Rhys, or he'll feel pretty useless," the boy admonished wisely. "It would be as if you are saying his money isn't good enough for you and you don't want that, do you, brother?"

Rhys turned back to me and nodded. I grinned at my small victory and while I paid the woman who had been patiently waiting for us to sort things out, I made a mental note to thank Kennedy later, maybe even buy him something tasty to show my gratitude.

"Come on or we'll miss the beginning of the movie," the youngest member of our company urged, taking the lead again. He then sighed and muttered under his breath: "I can't believe I have to give my older brother dating lessons!"

There was that word again: date. Had Kennedy come up with the notion of this being a date on his own or had his brother put that idea in his head?

I kept walking, face straight ahead, but eyes darting sideways to where Rhys was. He moved silently, not sparing a glance at me or his brother. Apparently, at this moment, he was completely fascinated by his worn-out sneakers.

*****

A/N: This is shorter than my usual chapters but I wrote everything I had to write and if I added something else, it would've watered it down. Now for the big question: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF KENNEDY?

I know the story is about Rhys and Riley – and I hope you comment on them too – but I'd really love to read your opinion on the boy. Charmingly cocky or a stuck-up?

Please support the chapter with a vote of you enjoyed it and happy time wattpading, everybody!

xo,

~CatMint5~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258K 6.6K 31
Riley Smith is about as troubled as they come, he's anorexic but in denial about it and fights a lot. What happens when his parents kick him out then...
998K 36.3K 51
Hands, touch. That's all I felt. Everywhere. A burning sensation was all I could focus on, it was overwhelming. But I didn't want it to stop. I don'...
62.8K 3.9K 31
Sean Romanoff. Left all that he knew behind, to start a new life. To be who he desperately desired to be. To free himself from the shackles of a cur...
401K 20.2K 68
*COMPLETED* After Asher's parents were killed by their enemy pack, he has to take over the position of alpha. Since his parents didn't believe in mat...