The Obscure Downsides of Fame

By Obscunima

☀︎︎Featured on Wattpad's @NA and @FreeTheLGBT☀︎︎ * this is the original first draft. The rewrite is now also... More

a c h i e v e m e n t s
0 // Author's Note
1 // touring
2 // music videos
3 // a waste
4 // let's meet
5 // drop it
6 // interesting
7 // crowded
8 // get out
9 // out of love
10 // text?
11 // uhm, Saturday?
12 // back on the radar
13 // marionette
14 // questions
15 // common misconception
16 // one of a kind
17 // the usual
18 // doesn't mean anything
19 // so damn lucky
20 // mildly attractive
21 // I'll figure it out
22 // Kylan fucking Madden
23 // rollercoaster
24 // friends
25 // everything about you
26 // naive
27 // a secret girlfriend
28 // say it
29 // feelings
30 // only if you're into that
31 // fraud
32 // he'll come back
33 // speechless
34 // ghosting
35 // I'm really sorry
37 // habitually happy
38 // fucked up together
39 // better together
40 // you're definitely something
41 // teeny tiny tipsy
42 // long time no speak
43 // I'm boooored
44 // don't forget about me
45 // man-child
46 // Mercury
47 // I fell down a rabbit hole
48 // bad reality TV
49 // my boyfriend wrote it
50 // it should be magical
51 // just write more
52 // just you and me
53 // burn it down
54 // I promise you forever
55 // Dimple Cheek and Prince Charming
56 // please don't leave
57 // enemies to lovers
58 // unfiltered
59 // fan fiction
60 // Nolan in a nutshell
61 // to be closer to you
62 // on purpose
63 // cookies
64 // a puppy
65 // Commoners
66 // better depressed
67 // crash
68 // put yourself first
69 // the semantics
70 // the little things
72 // we don't need words
73 // independent
74 // a first impression
75 // the love expert
quick little update

36 // a complicated guy

288 17 16
By Obscunima

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
a complicated guy
•••

Hi! Good news:
I'm a finalist in the Ever After Awards by emmaeverafter , and although I don't expect to win, I'd really appreciate it if you'd vote on me for the reader's choice :) just comment '+1' after my name, you can do it up to 5 times! Thank u in advance ❤️

•••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

I was getting used to it. I forced myself to not think about the ghost on the other side of the country. Like some magic spell, this seemed to be the cure for my bad acting. Things went alright during the day. I had my phone turned off the entire time and things were alright.

Yet the moment I came home, I found myself checking the device again, hoping for a missed call or a missed message. Like expected, I found nothing.

I was lying in my bed, ready to sleep as my phone rang. Hope grew in my chest, but I pushed it down to not get disappointed. When his name lit up my phone screen, I didn't hesitate to pick it up. Because what the actual fuck.

"Hey," I said, surprise lacing my voice. "It's been a while."

"Yeah, I'm sorry." He paused for a moment. I could hear him take a deep breath on the other side of the call. "Can I talk to you for a little?" His voice was lower than usual and lacked any sort of tone. It was as though someone replicated his voice and computer-generated some sentences for him to say.

"Yeah, of course." I sat down and moved my pillows around until I found myself in a comfortable position.

"I'm really sorry," he repeated. "I think— I don't know. I think I'm just in a really bad place right now."

I was wrong. There was a tone in his voice. It just wasn't one I really recognized. He sounded drained of energy.

"Oakley, did anything happen?"

"No, it's okay. Nothing happened. Not really, I guess. I think I'm just— I don't know. I just needed to talk to you. Because I haven't in a while and I'm really sorry about that."

I didn't know how to act in a situation like this. He sounded exhausted, miserable, and desperate. He couldn't do this for another month without tearing himself apart. But at least he'd be getting a break in between. Though something in the back of my mind told me it wasn't going to be enough. "Okay, that's okay. When are you coming back?"

"Like, eight more days, I think."

"Eight more days, and then I'll talk you out on a date again. Another private place. Slightly more serial-killer-esque." I tried to weave in the little joke to release some of the tension.

"More than the clearing in the woods behind your house?" I could hear how a smile was peaking through, which instantly lifted my own mood.

"It's like two hours away from LA. It's really beautiful too."

"I wish we were there right now." His voice was barely louder than a whisper. He must've noticed it too as he started to apologize. "I'm sorry. I'm just really tired. But it's okay."

But was it, though? He didn't exactly sound like his usually peppy self.

"Just call me whenever, okay? I don't mind."

"I can't just call whenever, Nolan."

"Of course you can. I like talking to you." I didn't even sound convincing to myself. Not because it was a lie, but because I didn't know why I liked it. I just did. It felt as though that was just the way it was meant to be. It felt good.

It was quiet on the other end of the line.

"I swear, Oakley, if you don't call me I'll literally book a flight just to come see you."

A soft chuckle sounded through the phone, and the familiar fluttery feeling broke out inside my stomach. I smiled and closed my eyes as I leaned back, engulfing myself in a heap of pillows and blankets.

"I'm serious, okay? Just don't ghost me again."

"Okay, fine. I'll call you again tomorrow."

The next day I felt better, in a way. The fact that Oakley called me made me feel a lot more relaxed. And he'd kept his promise by calling me every day after the concerts.

But Oakley apparently only spoke to me. Genevieve texted me the other day, asking if Oakley had contacted me these past few weeks.

You:
Yeah, he called

Genevieve:
Omg really?

Genevieve:
Please call me rn.

I did call her. I just wanted to tell her he's doing better, but I didn't want to get into detail. It wasn't up to me.

"When did he call you?" she asked, her voice a casual kind of worry, if that makes any sense.

"Like, four days ago. Then every day since."

"What? What did he tell you? Me and his family have been trying everything just to hear from him. Danny has been our messenger for like, the entire time."

I didn't even bother to ask who that was.

"He hasn't talked to you at all?" I asked. I'd assumed that since he called me, he must've at least told his family something.

"No." I could hear the way she sounded exhausted. Oakley disappearing off the fucking face of the earth was already exhausting to me, so I could only imagine how it must've been for his best friend he'd had for years. "Look, Oakley is a really complicated guy. He's... I don't know. I don't think it's just the stress, you know? I mean I definitely think it's a contributor, but I don't think it's just that."

"What do you think it is?" I asked. Depression? It was the first thing that came to mind, and it seemed plausible. Though I was not a psychologist so I wouldn't know.

"I don't know. Either way, it doesn't matter. When he gets mad at me he just pushes me away, sometimes for weeks on end. He doesn't like serious talk." We were both quiet. I didn't exactly know how to react to any of this.

In reality, Oakley barely knew me. Yes, we talked a lot. Every free moment of the day we spent texting or calling each other on a regular day. But we only met up a hand full of times and went on one date. And all that Genevieve told me only proved how little I really knew about him.

But why did he tell me things he didn't tell them? Why was he so quick to trust me, out of all people? Genevieve was right. He really was a complicated guy.

"What did he tell you?" she asked for the last time.

"Just that he'd been in a bad place lately. He apologized for disappearing I guess. Mainly small talk."

"Okay. That's good."

"Just let me know if you hear anything else, okay? His mom is going through legal things to see if he can cancel the tour so he can come home to stay this time. His mom doesn't want him to be in New York, all alone and depressed on his birthday."

"His birthday?"

"Yeah. Three weeks from now. They gave him a day off but he's supposed to be in New York the day after. And Ohio the day before. No way she's gonna let that happen."

"I didn't know that," I mumbled mainly to myself.

"Either way, thank you. For calling, I mean. I'll talk to his family and see if I can calm them down just a little. Just don't forget to let me know if he tells you anything, okay?"

"Okay. Bye."

She hung up, and my mind was spinning. It was too much information to process all at once, and I didn't know what to do with it.

Oakley wasn't going to be an easy person to date, but neither was I.

In all honesty, I was still afraid. I'd tried dating since Kylan, but my thoughts seem to ruin every little thing I had.

Oakley was different. He didn't care about my constant pondering or the fact I kept these things to myself. He didn't get aggravated like guys — especially Kylan — before. He had patience.

I wanted this to work. Because I knew that if we'd get over the little bump, we could last. But then again, Oakley hadn't dated any guys before. I wasn't even sure if he'd ever questioned his sexuality before. Things like these took time.

Oakley has the patience to put up with me, so the least I could do was let him take his time too. And I'd be there, every step of the way, whether he wanted me to or not. For him, I didn't mind waiting.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi guys! The author's note at the beginning of the chapter is pretty important to me, so please check it out and vote!

Also, a vote or a comment on this chapter would also be very very nice 😊

But like always, there's a question of the update: what would you like to be known for?

Thank you for reading! Bye xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250 63 33
I'm gay. Some people hate that. I don't. I think. But I know a couple people who do. Hate me, that is. And I'm about ready to give up until I meet Bl...
170K 5K 75
Marc Williams started having some financial problems after his dad's job was cut short, he decided to get a part time job where someone gives him a l...
3.2K 172 12
George and Will are in a love-hate relationship as friends. What happens when one of them realizes there could me more to their partnership than that...
Sweet Boy ✔ By ev

Teen Fiction

1M 33.2K 55
Gosh, was Zander Hayes hot or what? Everybody thought so. As did Asher Tyson. You could call him a nobody. He wasn't bullied. He wasn't a nerd. He wa...