You Should Bow to the Sea God

By shadowgrace0630

"Poseidon is dead." Three words had sent Percy Jackson's life spiralling out of his control. Percy who had tu... More

Chapter 1: Testament and Will of Poseidon
Chapter 2: Immortality
Chapter 3: Nightmares and Warnings
Chapter 4: For better or for worse
Chapter 5: Mermaids and Atlantis
Chapter 6: Council of Atlantis
Chapter 7: Guilty Until Proven Innocent
Chapter 8: Will You Marry Me?
Chapter 9: What Prowls in the Dark
Chapter 10: Lessons for the 'Weak'
Chapter 11: Trouble is a Friend
Chapter 12: Demon Princes and Darkness
Chapter 13: Pathetic, Incompetent, Nothing
Chapter 14: Wise Girl, Seaweed Brain
Chapter 15: Books and Lies
Chapter 16: Not Again!
Chapter 17: A Secret Buried Deep
Chapter 18: A Mermaid's Wish
Chapter 19: A Letter, a Trident and a Jason Grace
Chapter 21: Mind the Squid
Chapter 22: A Revelation? Or a Betrayal
Chapter 23: The Second Trench War
Chapter 24: Drown Her
Chapter 25: Compassion is a Weakness
Chapter 26: Once and for All
Epilogue
Author's note

Chapter 20: Confessions to Make

1.4K 47 63
By shadowgrace0630

The Council had gathered quicker than Percy expected. Some of them wore confused looks but most of them looked merely annoyed. Percy wondered if they always wore the same expression when Poseidon rallied them every meeting.

"Give up so soon, kid?" Razir asked, laughing. A few sniggered along with him. "Time isn't up and you're already surrendering? I knew you were a coward, I didn't realize you give up so easily too."

Percy gritted his teeth to avoid snapping at Razir, all the while keeping a pleasant look on his face.

"From what I've heard, he doesn't even have a clue of what he's doing," Barthus snorted. "This seven-week trial is a waste of time, Naguel. Not one of your better decisions."

Naguel sent Barthus a glare so foul it shut him up immediately. "Have I ever done something for nothing?" he growled, impatience laced his voice like it always did when Percy demanded a meeting. "Speak, boy," he said, turning his glare onto Percy.

"There is a spy in the Council," Percy said, his face serious, portraying only certainty with no hint of laughter.

Murmurs ran through the Council. All of them bore disbelieving looks, even Triton looked dubious.

"This is a very big accusation, Percy," Triton warned. "All members have worked for this Council for at least a decade. What you're saying could cause an uproar."

"Do you even hear yourself, boy?" Razir demanded. "Do you think this is funny?"

"Do I look like I'm laughing?" Percy asked.

Razir took one look at Percy's serious face and paled. "You don't have any proof of this!"

"How dare you accuse us like this?" Willa asked, her face ashen.

The others began to claim their innocence and the absurdity of the situation too. No one wanted to believe a spy was amongst them. Percy knew this was a risky move, revealing his knowledge of the demon spy amongst them. If things went wrong, Percy would be dead quicker than possible but at this point, he believed the spy needed him alive for whatever grand plan was coming and he was willing to bet on it.

He couldn't play by their games anymore, so it was time they played by his game.

He made his move.

And now it was the spy's turn.

"I didn't come here to accuse anyone... yet," Percy said. "During the last meeting, I failed to mention this because I didn't want to arouse the spy's attention, but now I've decided to reveal this little detail."

"Little?" Razir demanded. "Accusing someone here of being a spy is a little detail?"

"You are very agitated, Razir," Gemina observed, frowning.

"And you act too calm!"

Arguments started as the Council began to accuse and defend each other. Only Naguel was silent, his eyes moving from member to member and finally landing on Percy who stared back, hard, not willing to back down, not anymore.

"SILENCE!" Naguel yelled when Percy refused to drop his gaze. He turned back to the Council. "You've let this boy drive a wedge between us. You want to have a civil war amongst ourselves? Have you not contemplated that this boy might just be messing with us and there is no spy?"

Silence fell and Triton coughed. "You could also be hiding something by saying that, Naguel," Triton said. "After all, you've been denying Percy the throne ever since the announcement."

Naguel's face flamed red in anger. "How dare you—"

"How dare you?" Triton demanded, standing up and towering over Naguel. The Council fell silent immediately. "You forget who I am and you forget who you are. I may not be heir anymore but I am still Head of this Council. Do not act like you own this place."

Percy held his breath, waiting. But Naguel only grunted and turned away. Triton sat back down and gestured to Percy.

"The Council has done so much investigation on the murder, looking through every servant and maid, every citizen and criminal, but you have never stopped to consider the murderer being one of you," Percy said. "Let me remind you that a sea demon prince can shapeshift. Even if you've been here for centuries, one kidnapping is all it will take to impersonate a member and take their place."

The Council shuffled uneasily but did not interrupt. Even Naguel was silent.

"Think about it. I do not mean to cause a civil war, it serves me no purpose," Percy said. "I only came to warn everyone. Believe me or not, but until then, if it's too late, when the entire Council is dead and destroyed." Percy stared into each and every member, most of them quickly averted their gaze. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

This time, for the first time, no one had anything to say. Percy lingered a moment longer, letting his words sink into every member, including the spy. He couldn't tell who was the spy, he didn't know them well enough to tell who was genuinely shaken by his words. But maybe the Council would notice the difference for him.

No matter what happened, the spy's secret was now compromised and Percy just had to wait.

Percy stepped into his chambers, Sylvia beside him and five guards in tow. He didn't want an ambush or to be surprised, especially after the little revelation so he kept guards around him and Sylvia, just in case.

As Percy stepped into his room, he was surprised to find it was neat and tidy. All evidence of a murder had been cleared away. He cursed silently. He had been hoping to find a clue.

"I doubt the murderer would leave anything valuable behind," Sylvia said, flipping over the silk covers on Percy's massive bed. "If they were that stupid, they would have been exposed long ago."

"I know," he admitted.

It had been five hours since the meeting and no one had bothered him yet. Percy began to worry if he was wrong and there was no spy. Instead, the sea demons just played him and he fell into their trap. If so, Percy wasn't worthy of the throne. He was just a big idiot.

A sigh escaped his lips and Percy made his way out, his guards following silently behind him, making a close enough formation around Percy and Sylvia. Percy was tempted to go to the surface again until a guard ran into him, sending them both tumbling to the ground.

The guards behind him surged around but there was no threat. The guard who tumbled into him began to apologize profusely, his face red and he looked genuinely scared.

Percy quickly got to his feet and helped the guard up as well, noting how the guard's hands were shaking. The guard quickly pulled back his hands and clasped them at his back, his eyes cast downward, refusing to meet Percy's eyes.

"I'm... I'm so sorry, your... your majesty," he stammered, voice panicked.

"It's okay," Percy said. A strange feeling washed over him, it was the first time someone addressed him as 'your majesty'. It felt weird and unsettling yet powerful at the same time. "What's your name?"

"Fedyor, your majesty," Fedyor said, bowing deep, eyes still looking down at the floor.

Percy reached to help him up. "Please don't address me like that, I'm not king yet," he said lightly but his smile faltered when Fedyor looked up at him. His eyes were wide and reflected fear. He looked ready to bolt.

"Are you okay?" Sylvia asked, noticing it too.

Fedyor nodded, then shook his head. To Percy's utter surprise, Fedyor burst out crying. He cried so hard his entire body shook. Percy was flabbergasted, surely he wasn't crying because he bumped into Percy on accident?

"Hey, what's wrong?" Percy asked, trying to calm him down.

"I... I can't do this anymore," he sobbed.

"Do what?" Percy asked, more confused than ever.

Fedyor shook his head. "She'll kill me, I can't, she'll kill me!" he cried, his sobs growing larger and more violent.

"Who?" Percy asked, growing frustrated. The guards behind him made no move to help Fedyor and it annoyed Percy slightly but then again there were just here to protect him, not deal with weeping guards. "Who are you talking about?" Percy asked again, growing slightly irritated.

"Percy," Sylvia warning, shooting him a glare.

Fedyor closed his eyes and when he opened them, Percy gaped at the absolute terror in his eyes. "Amphitrite," he gasped. "Amphitrite killed Poseidon."

Percy blinked, he had been expecting anything but that. Immediately after he said it, Fedyor stopped shaking and a strange calmness spread over him. His sobs eased only slightly but his eyes now stared at nothing, as if he was preparing himself for death.

"She said she would kill me if I ever told anyone," Fedyor said, a painful expression crossed his face. "A horrible, painful death. I kept this secret for days but it haunted me day and night. I saw her stab Poseidon with my own eyes. I've never killed anyone and now I've witnessed a murder and I can't even tell anyone."

Percy and Sylvia exchanged shocked glances. This was not what they had expected. The guards behind him were murmuring to each other. "I don't understand," Percy said.

But he did.

"I was new and I was at the wrong place at the wrong time," Fedyor said. "I watched it all. And she... and Amphitrite threatened me not to tell. I tried to keep it to myself and avoided you and the Council at all costs. I wasn't Poseidon's guard so I wasn't interrogated so I could get away with it. I wasn't supposed to meet you, it was an accident, and then I saw you and I couldn't help it anymore."

"You're going to be okay," Percy said and gestured to the guards to help him up. "I'm going to take you to someone, anyone. I'll keep you safe, I promise."

"You can't," he said and laughed, his eyes wild. "You can't," he said. "She'll kill me, don't you get it? She'll do whatever it takes to kill me."

Percy shook his head but Fedyor laughed. "I'm sorry, your majesty," he said and a tear slid down his cheek. "I can't live like this. Tell my wife I'm sorry," he whispered and before Percy or Sylvia could stop him, he took a dagger out from nowhere and stabbed his heart.

Sylvia screamed as blood spurted. Fedyor's eyes went blank and he slumped to the ground. Percy jumped back and immediately the guards began yelling for a healer.

"What happened?" Sylvia asked, eyes wide with horror.

Percy was stunned to silence. What did this mean?

All the yelling and motion immediately caused a crowd to gather around the scene. Guards surged forward to block the others from entering.

"You should go, leave this to the healers," Percy's appointed personal guard, Tomyn said. Before Percy could move, Triton appeared, Lady Serena behind him

"What's going on?" Triton asked and his eyes flew wide at the sight of Fedyor, the dagger still protruding from his chest. Lady Serena gasped at the sight, her mouth agape in shock. "What the hell happened here?" Triton's eyes flew to Percy. "Did you kill him?" he demanded, voice rising.

"I did not," Percy said firmly. "Ask Sylvia, ask the guards. They witnessed everything."

"What did Amphitrite do?" Sylvia asked Triton suddenly, stepping forward.

"Do what?" Triton asked. "What happened here?"

"He killed himself," Percy said. "After he told us something very interesting." Slowly, members of the Council arrived, drawn to the commotion. They all looked stunned at Fedyor's body.

"What interesting thing?" Triton asked carefully.

"He said Amphitrite killed Poseidon," Percy said and gasps issued from the crowd. "He saw it all and confessed everything, before killing himself. Amphitrite threatened to kill him if he ever said anything."

Triton's eyes were now wide. "No, it's impossible," he said. "She wouldn't, she... Impossible!"

"Fedyor says otherwise," Sylvia said.

Before Triton could try to protest, the Council began throwing back discussions.

"I guessed it was Amphitrite and no one listened to me," Barthus said. "She was closest to Poseidon. She could have killed him anytime. Hell, they even slept together sometimes."

"No way," Tiffany cried. "She was so sickeningly sweet."

More members of the Council appeared gradually and the news was retold again and again. Triton was trying in vain to protest but there was now a witness. And after Percy riled the Council up about the spy, they were desperate to put the attention on someone else.

"Do you think she meant Triton to get the throne but Poseidon thwarted her and put Percy instead?" Willa asked.

"Makes sense," Razir snorted. "Why else would Poseidon put that kid on the throne and not Triton."

"And no one would suspect her for killing her husband!" Cassian put in. "I mean, no one suspected her in the first place."

"I did!" Barthus cried. "But did anyone listen? No!"

"Oh shut up, your usual suspicions were never true."

"Well, this time it is!"

Percy couldn't think, his mind was a perfect blank. The noise was too great as everyone shouted and yelled as debates were thrown back and forth whether Amphitrite was innocent.

"Enough!" Triton yelled, slightly desperate but this time, no one listened.

"Maybe Triton was in on it," someone whispered.

"So he's the spy?" Razir asked. "Well, no one suspected him either for sure, so he's the obvious choice. He would always get away with everything."

Percy couldn't take the noise anymore.

"SILENCE!" he yelled, using his power to send his voice traveling in waves around him. Immediately, a headache formed but he pushed it away. Everyone turned to him. "We can't just throw Amphitrite in prison," he snapped.

"Indeed we cannot," a haughty voice said and Percy was stunned to see Naguel, emerging from the crowd who parted for him. "We cannot come to a decision without a vote from the Council, first."

Triton grabbed Naguel by the front of his shirt and snarled. "They will be no vote. No one is throwing my mother in prison."

"Hands off," Naguel sneered. "Or do you want to rot in prison as well? Do I need to remind you that you are currently the prime suspect for being an accomplice of murder?"

Triton, to Percy's surprise, released Naguel. He stood down but his expression was fierce and scared at the same time. Percy had never seen Triton look so powerless.

Percy knew he should say something, interfere, but his mind was reeling. Anything that came out from his mouth would be shot down at once. He might even be sentenced for trying to protect Triton.

"A vote, Council of Atlantis," Naguel said, his voice loud and clear. "Amphitrite will be contained in a cell until further investigation is done. As per the laws of Atlantis, she is guilty until proven innocent and will face trial for the murder of Poseidon. A witness has spoken and action must be done. Until she is proven innocent, she will stay there."

Percy didn't need to guess to know the results. The fact that Naguel did it in front of Triton made it all even crueler. Every member raised their hand, even Lady Serena but she had a sympathetic expression on her face.

Triton was now trembling with fury as Naguel commanded several guards to arrest Amphitrite. No one dared object. Naguel turned to Triton. "You will be investigated as well, Triton. And if you are innocent, consider yourself lucky."

There was nothing Triton could do. Naguel was just following the laws of Atlantis. Any member with high authority would have done the same. With Triton out, Naguel was of the highest rank. If Triton tried to run or escape, his fate would be sealed. He gave Naguel his foulest glare but stayed silent.

"Naguel," Percy started, he had to say something, anything but Naguel cut him off.

"It seems congratulations are in store, son of Poseidon," he said, annoyed. "Even though you did nothing. However, it appears the murder is solved for now, with one day to spare even."

Percy said nothing.

Razir snorted. "You should look happier, boy. Your task is done."

"But—"

"But what?" Naguel snapped. "If you want another task just say so."

Percy kept his mouth shut. When it was clear Percy had nothing else to say, Naguel swam off.

Before Triton departed, he leaned into Percy and whispered, so softly no one except him could hear it. "If you intend to win this war, meet me in my room after all this." Then, he left with Naguel.

Percy stood there, stunned by the rapid change of events he didn't notice when Sylvia called him twice. He looked up at the third time.

"Something's not right," Percy whispered, his mind whirling. Part of his brain was still on Triton's words.

"I don't know," Sylvia said. "It just feels like convenient timing and luck to me." Though Sylvia looked genuinely confused herself and Percy couldn't blame her.

"I... I need a while alone," Percy said and swam off before Sylvia could argue about his safety. There was no place safe enough but then a place struck his mind.

Percy made his way to the secret garden Noa had once brought him when his troubles hadn't plagued his mind yet. But even the sight of some of the most beautiful flowers he had ever seen didn't manage to ease his mind.

He went through the day's events, connecting the dots and fixing the puzzle. Something was wrong and he knew it.

He didn't believe for one second it was that simple. He doubted Amphitrite would do something like that. Why would she? It didn't matter if Poseidon or Triton was on the throne. One was her husband and one was her son and she sure as hell wouldn't put Percy on the throne. So why would she do it?

Unless she didn't.

Unless Amphitrite was framed.

Unless the spy shapeshifted into Amphitrite to push the blame on her.

Percy sat up straight, the pieces clicked into place. He understood it now. Whoever was scheming wanted Percy to be crowned King of Atlantis, it hadn't been a mistake instead it was manipulated by the spy this whole time. And the spy was now desperate to push the coronation up since their secret was probably compromised.

Amphitrite was framed so Percy would have his coronation. And Percy had no doubt after he officially became king, the spy would try to rob him of it.

A new plan immediately formed in his head. He still wasn't sure who the spy was which made things slightly complicated. He prayed Triton would be able to help him with that. But the spy had just given him an idea.

The spy wanted a coronation? He'd give them a coronation. But first, he would listen to what Triton had to say. And if he played his cards right, he would not only expose the spy during his coronation but he could also win a war.

Percy felt a rush of wicked delight as he realized his plan might actually work. They were now playing his game.

The spy had made their move to answer.

Now it was his turn.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 2.6K 71
Being one of the few survivors of the Second Giant War, twenty-two-year-old Percy Jackson is crushed. Nobody seems to be an ally anymore. Everyone ap...
1.1M 47.1K 130
asphodel tran is like a perfectly still pool of water: calm, cool, with hidden depths underneath a smooth surface. as a daughter of thanatos, she wor...
28.9K 1.2K 105
The world is hardly ever what it seems. We have seen our heroes fight monsters, gods, titans, and even the very Earth itself. But, there were rules a...
45.4K 746 70
After Percy went missing and Jason finished his quest with Piper and Leo, you will read Annabeth's reaction. Then the next Chapter's will be about wh...