The Crown

By chofachofachofa

It was the first thing he saw when his eyes opened for the first time. The glistening, golden glow shining in... More

INTRODUCTION
PART ONE - THE BEGINNING OF THE END
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
PART TWO - AN ATTACK ON SANITY
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
PART THREE - THE END
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
PART FOUR - RECONCILIATION AND HEARTACHES
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
PART FIVE - A CATASTROPHIC HAPPY RESOLUTION
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
lil vote
Epilogue - 1
Epilogue - 2
Epilogue - 3
Epilogue - 4
Epilogue - 5
C O N T E S T
CONTEST (part 2)

Chapter Sixty Four

1.8K 52 22
By chofachofachofa

For a whole day, they sat in a humid carriage with stops every hour because Beatrice couldn't hold in her bladder. She had continuous pains in her lower stomach, sometimes that would result in crying. Beatrice wished her mother was beside her, hugging her, and saying everything would be all right. Of course, that wouldn't happen again for a very long time.

"You know this is a sign, Tobias," Beatrice whispered. "I'm going to give birth soon."

"I know, love," Tobias took her hand and sighed. "I know. They're coming soon."

The carriage had finally come to a stop as the coachman exited and opened the door. Tobias was first to exit. He looked around, staring at the small house in front of him. It was a townhouse, attached to others, and on the more wealthy side of the kingdom. The castle was still far away, and they were nowhere close to the life they had before.

Beatrice slowly came out, smiling at the house in front of her. Unlike Tobias, she was quite happy moving here. It was better than how she lived growing up, and it wasn't as hectic as the castle. It's perfect for our little family, she thought to herself. Tobias noticed the content on her face and tried to mask it.

"Oh, it's perfect," Beatrice said, walking to the front door.

"Hold on, Beatrice!" Tobias called out as another carriage rolled up in front of the house. A king exited, wrapping his long red cape around him as he walked over to Tobias, who bowed quickly. "Your highness."

The king shook his head. "Don't bow for me. I know who you are, King. I understand you and your wife are seeking safety here in my kingdom?"

"Yes."

"I also understand you two wish to be treated like any other - you'll work for your money, to put food on the table, and to provide for your family. You don't wish any help from me, correct?"

"No, sir. We're trying to raise our children opposite from the ways I was brought up. I don't want them turning out like me."

"You mean like your father, Marcus. He's the one you fear your children would become - he's power hungry and insane. Am I wrong?"

Well, he's very blunt, Tobias mocked. "No, sir, you're not."

The king smiled. "Now, your uncle has asked I provide for you the first month, along with furniture, then leave you be," he extended his hand and his advisor placed two folders in his hands. He handed them over to Tobias. "The house is already furnished, and I hope you'll settle comfortably. Other information is stacked inside these folders, sent by your uncle. If you need anything, you can take a horse and come visit me in the castle," he looked up at Beatrice. "Your wife seems very pregnant. I'll send a midwife to stay with you until she gives birth."

Tobias gripped the folders in his hands. "Thank you. Until next time."

The king nodded and walked into the carriage. Tobias turned around and walked to the front door. He opened it and sighed in relief when he saw the furniture had already been placed. Beatrice gasped and danced around the room, laughing at each room. Right when they walked in, was the living room and divided by a half wall was the kitchen. The dining room was across from the kitchen, and then there was a bathroom.

Up the spiral case was two bedrooms, two bathrooms attached by a wall. Beatrice wandered into one of the bedrooms and smiled when she saw two cribs had been placed. She touched her stomach, content and satisfied.

Tobias had stayed downstairs. He made himself comfortable on one of the couches and opened one of the yellow folders. Inside was a picture of himself with a page full of writing next to it. Toby Smith. On the page were more fake information, like where he came from and his family life. Beatrice came down the stairs but before she could express her gratitude of the townhouse, he handed her her folder.

Tris Smith.

Beatrice gasped at the name, one she hadn't used since the first attack. She looked at Tobias, who stood and took the folder from her hands. He threw it on the counter, running a hand through his hair and leaning against the counter. He rested his head in his hand, taking a moment to himself to breathe.

She walked over to comfort him when a knock interrupted her steps. Beatrice retracted her hand and walked over to the door instead. Just like he had chosen to give her some space, she had to do the same; he had killed his father in cold blood and forced to move to a lower life because his family was in danger.

Beatrice opened the door and furrowed her brows when she saw a woman on the other side, smiling happily at her. The woman waved and introduced herself, "I'm Abby, I live in the house next door," She looked down at Beatrice's swollen stomach. "I'm a midwife, and since we live next door, I won't have to stay with you and your husband. Just know I'm here to be your friend!"

"Um," Beatrice drawled out, surprised by the amount of information this stranger had poored out.

Abby smiled and shook her head. "Sorry, I have the tendency to ramble. Allow me to introduce myself better. I have a husband too, and a son - his name is Cain - and I have a two-month-old daughter, Eve. They're really great kids, I'd love to have dinner with you sometime. How does tomorrow night sound?"

When Beatrice looked back at Tobias, he was still leaning against the corner. She sighed and turned back to Abby. Meeting new people could help him, Beatrice pondered. "Sure, we'd love to -" She stopped speaking when a sharp pain hit her stomach, and she cried slightly in pain.

Tobias was instantly at her side, sweeping her off her feet and into his arms. He glanced worriedly at Abby, even though he had no idea who that woman was. Without closing the door, Tobias ran up the stairs and pushed open the master bedroom - a room he hadn't even entered yet. He set her down on the bed, grateful there was furniture placed already. Abby took the open door as an invitation to walk in as she followed Tobias into the bedroom. She sat next to Beatrice, who was clutching the bottom of her stomach.

"How far along are you?" Abby asked, placing her hand on Beatrice's stomach.

"Seven months." Tobias answered.

Abby looked at Tobias. "Twins?"

"It's a possibility." He said quietly.

"Does she get pain like this commonly?"

"She got one like this two nights ago, and a faint one yesterday. Is this a sign of labor?"

"She's going to give birth very soon," Abby said, standing up and looking at Beatrice. "I want you stay in bed, and I'll check on you tomorrow morning. Your body temperature is a little hot, so I would put a wet cloth on your forehead and change it every hour."

Tobias extended his hand for her to shake. "Thank you, miss."

Abby smiled and exited the bedroom, leaving the house. Tobias walked to his wife's side, stroking the blonde hair out of her face. He took her hand and placed a gentle kiss on her fingertips, then the back of her hand. He stroked her wedding band as she tossed and turned in discomfort, holding onto her stomach.

"I'm so sorry, Beatrice." He whispered, laying his head against her stomach. Tobias had never felt more guilty in his entire life.

He had pushed her into their relationship because he couldn't contain his feelings; he switched her teams during the attack so they could be together, and even though he saved her from the explosion of the gates, she had to watch Al die, be attacked, and slip into a coma; he pressured her into confronting her parents about their relationship, which only made her hate herself; she was attacked by his mother; she was kidnapped by his father; she was left to suffer PTSD and create imaginary people to cope; she learned that the only man she loved was with another woman the night of her funeral; she has to endure a difficult pregnancy with twins and an elevated chance of death.

In that moment, Tobias couldn't think of any happy moments, only the horrible ones that he was the root of.

~

Beatrice had fallen asleep, so Tobias placed a wet cloth on her forehead and went downstairs. He entered the kitchen and got out a couple of ingredients to cook dinner for her. He placed a cutting board on the counter and stared at the items in front of him.

He had no idea how to cook.

He didn't even know what he was cooking.

Tobias left the food and picked up his folder to read more about his artificial backstory. He grimaced at the information, snickering at how precise the detail was. Toby, he repeated in his mind.

When he concluded that enough time had been wasted, Tobias retreated back into the kitchen. He was about to pick up the cutting knife when Beatrice appeared on the staircase. He quickly dropped it and went to help her down.

"You should have called me if you wanted to go down."

"I'm not helpless, Tobias. Besides, I was hungry."

"I'm making dinner tonight."

Beatrice looked at her husband and laughed. "Sure ... You don't even know how to cook."

"I'm self-taught ... ?"

She shook her head smiling and went behind the counter. Beatrice took the knife and began cutting the ingredients, ordering Tobias to come and learn. As she dumped the food in a bowl, he wrapped his arms around her, placing his hands over hers. She rested her head against his chest, enjoying the warmth he radiated.

Tobias took the knife from her hand and set it down before turning her around so her back was leaning against the counter. He stroked her cheek, loving the feel of how soft her skin was, before slowly pressing his lips to hers. He placed his hands on her waist, pulling her close to him and moving his face to lean against her shoulder blade.

They shared an intimate embrace, holding each other. It was only a matter of time before they both started to cry because it didn't matter that they were safe for now - there were so many reasons to break down and cry.

And soon enough, they were going to bring a child into this world, and neither of them were ready for the challenges of parenthood. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.6K 410 15
"If you look anymore perfect, I will lock you up in my room And I assure you, you won't be able to walk for days after that." It was every girl's dre...
2.6K 172 30
[BOOK TWO IN THE 'A CUT ABOVE' SERIES] BE SURE TO READ BOOK 1 BEFORE THIS ONE TO AVOID SPOILERS!!! ----- When Tobias wakes up, he wakes up in the sam...
115K 1.4K 102
#42 in Divergent (08/15/2018) #7 in Tris Prior (08/15/2018) #8 in Tobias Eston (08/15/2018) Disclaimer: I do not own the Divergent Series. FourTris p...
418K 12K 98
It's been two years since Beatrice Prior's death, and no one has taken it harder than Tobias has, he still can't get over her. But one day she will...