The Rainlands: Grand Delusion

Door MtAlternity

Levi is a boy born without the special powers that other children have. He can't remember his past life like... Meer

Prologue
Chapter 1: Stranger Before the Festival
Chapter 2: Monster In The River
Chapter 4: The Rainlands
Chapter 5: Lantern Lighting
Chapter 6: The Far Shore
Chapter 7: What Have I done?
Chapter 8: Fox Girl
Chapter 9: The River Guardian
Chapter 10: Lost
Chapter 11: Disbelief
Chapter 12: Old Scars
Chapter 13: Silver Fox
Chapter 14: Choices
Chapter 15: A Plan
Chapter 16: The Nightmare
Chapter 17: The Rain
Chapter 18: Something In The Rain
Chapter 19: Direwolves
Chapter 20: Training
Chapter 21: Attack
Chapter 22: I Need to Sleep
Chapter 23: Waking from Death
Chapter 24: Foreigners
Chapter 25: How did you?
Chapter 26: Lightning
Chapter 27: Yea You Saved Me
Chapter 28: Men
Chapter 29: Howls
Chapter 30: You Were All Confident
Chapter 31: Just Shut Up Dummy
Chapter 32: Now We're Burying Bodies
Chapter 33: Is This Really Happening?
Chapter 34: Sick
Chapter 35: Rush
Chapter 36: Mistake
Chapter 37: Something Wrong
Chapter 38: Dreams And Nightmares
Chapter 39: What Are You Doing?
Chapter 40: Time to Part
Chapter 41: Peirce
Chapter 42: Empty
Chapter 43: Why Didn't You Take Me With You?
Chapter 44: You're Safe Here
Chapter 45: Castle Hei
Chapter 46: Unit 992
Chapter 47: The Temptress of the North
Chapter 48: Schemes
Chapter 49: The Note
Chapter 50: Hyeorang
Chapter 51: Soju
Chapter 52: Outburst
Chapter 53: Watched
Chapter 54: Sneak
Chapter 55: You've Changed
Chapter 56: She's Not Who You Think She Is
Chapter 57: Endless Pursuit
Chapter 58: Rain Turns To Snow
Chapter 59: Save Me
Chapter 60: Can't You Show Me Something New?
Chapter 61: Why?
Chapter 62: I know Who You Are And That's Enough

Chapter 3: Anton

32 4 0
Door MtAlternity

Thunk

The boat ground into the sand with a hollow noise and everyone let out a sigh of relief. A few feet back, the floating wagon, with the Dragonstone still wedged in-between the planks of the floor, slowly followed them into the harbor. Dan stepped out of the boat onto the beach with a rope and tied it off on a wooden pillar jutting out from the pier. As Levi returned to land, he felt dizzy, the motion of the water seemed to come with him and he grabbed the side of the gently rocking boat for balance. Elder Shisshion followed him out, though he did not seem to suffer the same problem and stood tall, stretching while watching Dan bring in the wagon.

"You did well Levi. That was a situation which would have caused many men to lose their composure." The elder complimented him and Levi felt pride go through his bones at the rare praise. "I hope this is a lesson to you, the outside world is a harsh place. Perhaps your curiosity will be appeased a bit." The elder looked at Levi who was still grinning at the compliment, the boy tried to smooth his features but failed to conceal his joy. "Well, I suppose that might be too much to wish for. But Boy, remember that in the future you may not be so lucky to escape. We are only here today because the River Guardian was kind enough to let us pass. Had its rage fallen, you would have found that there are some things which are beyond mere mortal men to prevent."

"Got it Elder Shisshion" Levi replied, though inside he was still dreaming of the wild wrath of the River Guardian and the beautiful endless forest on the other side of the Yura. The older man shook his head, concealing his smile as he knew the boy was not really listening. Levi's mind was lost in the beautiful memories. It's so vast, so full of...everything. This island is so empty, the same stuff here, the same stuff there. But out there, there's so much more. I need to know more!

The boy eagerly looked towards the foreigner on the wagon as he arrived. The strange man tossed a rope from the wagon and Dan grabbed it, hauling the carriage in until it was close enough to gently drift to shore with the driver's careful guidance. As it touched down and Dan finished securing the ropes, the foreigner bent down and undid several metal latches. The entire top part of the raft slid off and rolled onto the beach. Levi watched in wonder as the carriage dropped down, the wooden wheels straining slightly while the skin and hull of the raft remained on the Yura, bobbing lightly. He watched in amazement as a blindfolded horse appeared from inside the wagon, its sides heaving. The foreigner smiled at his wonder and turned to Elder Shisshion.

"Are you the elder of Eastrain Village?" He asked. Levi noticed that he had pale skin and seemed to be even older than Elder Shisshion, his beard completely white. He had a curved nose and deep hazel eyes which were slightly hidden under strong eyebrows. His clothes were different from those in the island, more refined and flowery with embroidery and golden threads woven subtly into the black robe. When he stepped forward to shake Elder Shisshion's hands, Levi noticed that his boots were made with metal rings. He stared at the laces passing through them, fascinated. The village was not capable of forging such things and would not waste metal on mere boots anyway. That's knowledge from before the Calamity!

"I'm Elder Shisshion. This man here is Dan, he's a natural sailor, not a Reincarnation but by the Gods he can sail." The elder introduced himself and the foreigner nodded. He looked at Levi next.

"What about the boy? He must have quite the Reincarnation for you to risk taking him out on those waters. What was he, a sailor, or perhaps a fisherman?" The foreigner asked and Levi felt sticky dread grip his stomach. Anxiety made it knot as he wondered what Elder Shisshion would say. The elder for his part didn't hesitate for more than an instant. He glanced at Levi and then back at the foreigner.

"This fine fellow is Levi. He's the one who saw your wagon today and warned us that you were trying to cross. He's the reason you're alive right now." Elder Shisshion explained. The foreigner turned to Levi. His hazel eyes seemed to search through him. He reached out his hand to shake.

"Oh? Is that so? I suppose I must thank you. What's your Reincarnation young man?" His question caused Levi to freeze up instantly. He tried to answer but what came out was barely a whisper.

"I-I...don't have..." The foreigner leaned in to try to hear his hoarse voice and Dan jumped in to his rescue.

"Let it rest. The boy doesn't have a Reincarnation." The burly fisherman growled and the foreigner leaned back as if he'd been stung. His face fell and he withdrew his hand.

"My bad. I'm sorry young man I didn't know." The older man apologized and for some reason that simply made Levi feel worse. Looking at the ground, he mumbled.

"It's fine." To which the foreigner could only sigh. Elder Shisshion cleared his throat.

"So then, now that you know who we are, perhaps you'd like to explain who you are?" He asked dryly and the foreigner straightened up and left Levi alone for which he was thankful because he could feel the beginnings of hot tears in the corners of his eyes.

"My name is Anton, I'm a retainer." The old man introduced himself and paused as if thinking. "If you don't mind, my carriage is of a special nature. Elder Shisshion, would it be possible to talk to you in private?" Elder Shisshion followed his gaze and after stealing a quick look at the wagon, he nodded.

"Of course, Eastrain rarely has visitors. On account of the River Guardian, that is. It will attack anyone without a Dragonstone who attempts to cross the Yura, as you saw. Regardless of the River Guardian's opinion, the fact that you are here before the Wishing Festival and the New Year is auspicious indeed. Let me invite you to my humble house, it's just over the hill." Elder Shisshion began to walk and the foreigner hopped back on his wagon and clicked at the horse which had finally calmed down to the point where it could shakily walk on the beach. As the carriage began to roll along, Levi walked behind with Dan. They left the boat tied at the pier and headed into town.

There were whispers as people saw the strange new man and his wagon, but Elder Shisshion quickly brought them to his house which was far enough away from the main square that they had some measure of privacy. Levi longed to hear more but Elder Shisshion and the foreigner went inside without him. Waiting outside with Dan, his mind burned with questions about the outside world. After a short period of time, the two men came back outside and Levi had to ask.

"So what's going on?" He didn't really expect a response but Elder Shisshion grinned. The foreign man leaned down and stretched out his hand again.

"I'm sorry for last time young man, but I've spoken with Elder Shisshion and I believe you deserve a reward for saving our lives. My lady and I are from a noble house of the Rainlands. We need a guide while we're in Eastrain. Would you like to be it?" Anton smiled at him and Levi's eyes widened in confusion. A noble house? His lady? "We'd pay you of course."

Elder Shisshion resisted the urge to laugh at Levi's confusion. He quietly interjected.

"Levi, if you accept, I'm sure there will be plenty of time for Anton to tell you some stories from the capital." At this, Levi immediately realized how foolish waiting was. Stories from the capital!

"Of course, I'll guide you!" He yelled out loud and then turned a bit red at his excitement. The three older men chuckled and Elder Shisshion suggested that Levi show Anton to one of the unoccupied houses which was in good condition. As the happy boy and the wagon rolled away, Dan approached Elder Shisshion.

"You sure it's ok to leave Levi with him? I don't know what he told you in there but we barely know the man." He half-said, half-asked the elder. However, Elder Shisshion simply smiled.

"Dan, that man proved he was from the capital. And he's escorting a young master of the family. He showed me the seal, I'm old enough to remember what they look like. It was genuine. Trust me, if this man meant us any harm, he would not have come alone." The old man's answer failed to please Dan who only seemed to grow more uneasy.

"So, what are we going to do? Just let him have the run of the town? He still has a Dragonstone. We've never allowed a foreigner to have one, not since Levi's sister invited that bastard outside into our midst. It's not safe, this man could use the stone to bring others to the island. The people are too innocent here, we would be defenseless without the River Guardian's protection." To this, Elder Shisshion's face remained pleasant, he simply put his hand on Dan's shoulder.

"You're a sailor my friend. You should know, sometimes the tide comes in and there's nothing you can do but ride the waves. Tomorrow's the Wishing Festival is it not? Perhaps if you are worried, you can settle your fears with a lantern. Let it go, some things are beyond us. That is how destiny is." The older man patted Dan on the back and bade him off for the night. "Let Levi enjoy his taste of the outside world. Perhaps it will appease that terrible curiosity of his. What harm could possibly arise from that?" 

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

15.6K 447 44
Misaki Raina, the Princess of the Walls, gets kidnapped and taken to the underground. Her life rests with three Underground criminals, and a certain...
1.8K 95 22
By:Rair9305 [COMPLETED] A girl named Rosy leaves the Land only to go to the land Below. Her parents made her forget who she was in hopes that she co...
35.6K 2.1K 112
A cold-hearted, introverted girl. She always wore a hoodie, sat in a corner of the class, shut herself from others. She wasn't interested in gettin...
783 125 39
Hansung is grand son of sword master, but his grandfather passed away. Now he have to be the sword master and save their country from evil with his g...