The One Where All The Knights...

By Sunflowerseed090

Instead of Guinevere, Arthur falls in love with a female version of Merlin. The problem is that he wasn't the... More

First Thing's First
Arthur
Lancelot
Competition and Jealousy
Lancelot (Again)
Gwaine
Leon
Gwaine (Again)
Elyan
(Almost) All of Them
Interlude - Gwen and Morgana Talk About Boys
All of Them
Percival
Interlude - The Knights of the Round Table Talk About Girls
Get Your Tissues Ready
Interlude - Mourning and Distraction
Sword in the Stone (1/2)
Sword in the Stone (2/2)
Mordred
Mordred (Again)
Interlude - The Knights of the Round Table Are Jealous... of Each Other
Uther Does Not Ship
Elyan (Again)
Interlude - Merlin's Thoughts on the Boys, + Morgana Learning Magic
Monsters
All Good Things...
...Must Come to an End
War Preparations
Diamond of the Day
Endings

Ghosts

3.5K 61 60
By Sunflowerseed090

Merlin ran through the castle. It was a busy, busy day. All hands were on deck as the bustled around getting the entire castle ready for the Samhain feast. Merlin entered the kitchen, the busiest of all places. "Sorry," she apologized as she bumped into a servant.

"What are you doing in my kitchen?" Cook Audrey demanded, threatening Merlin with a ladle.

"Uh, the prince's shirt," Merlin said, her hand up in an "I'm innocent" fashion. Cook motioned to the clothesline by the pots. "Thank you!"

After Merlin grabbed Arthur's white shirt, she saw a shirt hook on a thin rope being lowered right in front of her face. Merlin looked up to see Gwaine and Percival looking down at her with matching mischievous grins. Gwaine put a finger to his lips and Merlin laughed. She attached one of the roasted chickens to the hook and tugged on the string. Gwaine sent her a wink. Merlin motioned for them to pull it up quickly and then hastily made her exit.

"Oi!" Cook yelled.

In the hallway, Merlin weaved through the crowd of servants. She looked back for one second, afraid that Cook might be chasing her, and bumped into a servant holding a pitcher of red wine. The wine spilled all over Arthur's white shirt. The servant continued on his way as if nothing happened. Merlin stared at the shirt. Or rather, she stared at the red spots that were now all over it.

"You could try a little salt," came a voice.

Merlin looked up to see Lancelot carrying a bunch of swords over his shoulder. 

"Arthur is going to kill me," Merlin said.

"Let's see." Lancelot pretended to study the shirt. "You've faced far worse, Merlin."

"He needs it for tonight," Merlin told him, panic evident in her voice.

"I'm sure a lady of your talents can think of something." Lancelot raised his eyebrows knowingly and then continued on his way.

Merlin's mouth formed the letter o as she realized what Lancelot had meant. "Fordwin wamm," Merlin whispered after checking to see if anyone was looking.

Lancelot stopped walking and turned around. Merlin showed him the clean shirt. He raised his arms as if to say, "see? What did I tell you."

-

Merlin found Arthur sitting at his desk with a frustrated look on his face. "What are you doing?" Merlin asked.

"I am trying to write a speech."

"Do you want help?"

"No."

"So you won't want this then." Merlin held up a scroll. Arthur looked up from the paper he was staring at. "I spent all night working on it."

Arthur took the scroll and skimmed over it with exaggerated dubiousness.

"What do you think?"

Arthur handed her the scroll back. "It needs polish."

"I'll add it to the list," Merlin said, taking it back.

Arthur looked at the half-written speech that he had been working on and tossed it to the side. As Merlin laid out  Arthur's clothes for the feast, Arthur teased, "Merlin, there aren't many servants who get the chance to write a prince's speech. Obviously it would be too much for you to say 'thank you.'"

Merlin stared at Arthur for a moment before picking up his dirty laundry and exiting the room, not bothering to reply. Once she was out of sight, Arthur allowed a fond smile to form on his face. 

In the hallways, Merlin bumped into Morgana, causing her to drop Arthur's clothes. Morgana helped her pick it up. "I am so sorry," Merlin apologized.

"It's alright, Merlin," Morgana said. She handed Merlin the laundry that she was holding. "Will you be attending the feast tonight?"

"I have to," Merlin laughed. "I'm a servant."

"Oh." Morgana raised her eyebrows in surprise. "None of the knights have asked you to go with them?"

Merlin tilted her head. "No... Why? Do you know something?"

"Oh, no." Morgana shook her head. "Gwen and I took bets earlier last week. Well, I best head off. So much to do!" Morgana hurried away.

"Wha- Morgana!" Merlin watched in exasperation as Morgana speed-walked away.

-

Later that day, Merlin knelt by Uther's side. It had been a year since Morgause had attempted to take over Camelot and he had yet to fully recover. Gaius suspected that he had been mentally tortured to the breaking point. All he ever did was sit in his chair facing the window. His hands shook terribly. "You haven't eaten anything," Merlin said gently. "Sire?" But Uther could not hear her, as he was too far deep in his own mind.

Gwen and Morgana stood by the doorway. "Nothing?" Gwen asked.

Merlin shook her head. Then she stood up and took a step back.

Morgana walked over to where Merlin had been and knelt down. She took Uther's hand and cupped it in her own. "Father?" She whispered. "There's a feast tonight for Samhain. Will you come?"

Uther did not respond. Morgana sighed and then the three women walked out of the room. "I don't know why I even care," Morgana admitted. "He's a cruel tyrant."

"But he is your father," Merlin told her. "He's not completely bad, just... mostly."

"I suppose you're right."

"So who's turn is it to look after him tonight?"

"I'll do it," Gwen volunteered. "It's your turn, but I don't need to attend the feast."

"Are you sure, Gwen?"

"Yeah."

-

Midnight approached and Samhain was almost upon them. Merlin stood off to the side holding a half-empty pitcher of wine. 

Arthur, who sat at the head of the table, right next to the empty king's chair, stood up. All the noises died down as they looked to their Crown Prince. "Samhain," Arthur began. "It is the time of year when we feel closest to the spirits of our ancestors. It is a time to remember those we have lost to celebrate their passing. Let us all enjoy ourselves, on behalf of those who are no longer of this world. I apologize on behalf of my father. He would have been here, but is still too weak to join us. To the king." Arthur raised his glass in toast.

Everyone stood up with their glasses raised. "To the king." 

The midnight bells tolled. 

Everything seemed to move in slow motion around Merlin. She felt a surge of magic. In the middle of the room, an old woman appeared. Her skin was deathly pale and her ragged robes were pure black. She held a staff in her left hand. "Emrys," she whispered. "Emrys. Emrys."

Merlin dropped her pitcher and time returned to normal. Everyone stared at her, but Merlin payed no attention. Instead, she fainted.

All the knights made a move to run to her, but Lancelot, who was at the end of the table, beat them to it. He ran over to Merlin and picked her up as gently as possible. Merlin shivered as if she were freezing, which was odd because the room was incredibly warm. 

Gaius left the table and motioned for Lancelot to follow him. Arthur watched with concern, itching to follow them, but knowing that he had to stay.

-

Lancelot laid Merlin onto her bed and pulled her blanket over her. "What happened?"

"I don't know," Gaius said, concerend. "I've never felt anyone so cold before."

"Will she be alright?"

"I'll need hawthorn to improve the blood flow." Gaius ignored his question because he did not know. "And blankets. Lots of blankets."

"Yes sir." Lancelot left to fetch the items. 

It wasn't until a few hours later when Merlin woke up. With a blanket wrapped around her shoulders and still slightly shivering, she stepped out of her room. Gaius noticed her immediately and led her to his bench to sit.

"When she spoke, her voice... it was as though it came from the depths of the earth," Merlin told her mentor. "And er eyes... they were so sad. So much pain." Merlin pulled her blanket tighter around her. "Who is she?"

"The Cailleach, the gatekeeper to the spirit world."

"Why was she there?"

"It was the stroke of midnight on Samhain's Eve, the very moment where the veil between the worlds is at it's thinnest. It cannot be a coincidence."

"Why was I the only one to see her?"

"You have great power, Merlin. For someone so gifted, such visions are not uncommon."

"But you don't understand. It wasn't a vision. She knew who I was. She called me Emrys."

Gaius was silent.

"Gaius? What is it? What does it mean?"

"I'm not sure. But if someone has torn the veil between worlds..."

-

The next morning found them in the council chambers. The council men, a few knights, Arthur's Uncle Agravaine, and Arthur himself gathered around a young girl from an outer village.

Arthur approached the girl and crouched down in front of her. "What's your name?" 

"Drea," the girl stuttered.

Arthur put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I'm Arthur," he said tenderly. "Don't be frightened. Tell me what happened."

"My father, my mother, my little sister, they're..." Drea buried her face in her hands as she wept.

"Sh, sh. It's alright. Someone attacked them?"

Drea nodded.

"Who?"

"There was no one. Just... shapes."

"You didn't see their faces?"

"They had no faces," she whispered. 

Merlin heard a noise behind her and turned to look, but there was nothing there. She turned back towards the girl and felt a sudden chill.

"What do you mean?" Arthur asked gently.

"I- I don't... They were there, but... they weren't there. They moved so quickly. It was as if they weren't real, but... they must have been. I could hear people screaming. And then... silence. They were all... dead." Drea broke down into a sob.

"Hey," Arthur told her, meeting her eyes. "Thank you."

Merlin stepped forward and hugged the girl. Merlin looked at Arthur. "Morgana," she mouthed. Arthur nodded.

"Drea," Merlin said kindly. "There's someone I'd like you to meet. Will you come with me?" Drea gave her a tearful nod. Merlin wrapped her arm around the girl's shoulder and led her to Morgana's chambers. Morgana at the sight of the girl, immediately went to comfort her. Merlin quietly informed Gwen of what had happened. "I need to go now," Merlin told them. "Will you be alright?"

"Yes. Thank you, Merlin," Morgana said.

-

Merlin met Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table in the courtyard. Lancelot handed her the reigns to her horse. She nodded in thanks and ignored the fluttering in her chest as their hands touched. They began the journey to Drea's village. 

By the time they arrived, the sun had already set. There was no sign of life in the village except for a few animals. The whole group was completely on edge, jumping at the slightest sound. "Search the houses," Arthur ordered.

They split up and each took a house. It wasn't until a few minutes later when they heard Elyan's call. "Over here!"

They all ran to the house that Elyan had been searching. Elyan knelt over a pair of frozen corpses. A wisp of light flew past their peripheral vision. "You saw it?" Arthur asked no one in particular.

"We are... literally chasing shadows," Gwaine laughed nervously.

"Come on. Let's continue our search."

Merlin wandered through the empty street, looking for any sign of life, when something caught her eye. It was another wisp. She chased it all the way to the edge of the village when she lost sight of it. Screams echoed in the distance.

"Leoht," Merlin said, holding out her hand. A faint light appeared in her hand before disappearing. She tried again, but nothing happened. Suddenly there was a loud shrieking and a wisp, much larger than before, came shooting towards her. "Fleoh nu on moras! Fleoh nu on moras!" Her eyes glowed gold but nothing happened. Merlin tried to run, but her legs felt frozen in place.

"Merlin!" Lancelot ran in front of her and used his torch to repel the spirit. Once it was gone, he breathed a sigh of relief. "What happened?"

"My magic... I couldn't use it."

The others came running towards them.  "There's something out there!" Lancelot told them.

"You saw it?" Arthur asked.

"When it saw the light it fled."

"It's scared the horses," Gwaine said.

"It's not something you can chase," Merlin said grimly, "or something you can kill."

"We need to get out of here," Arthur said.

-

In the morning, Arthur, Gaius, Merlin and Agravaine gathered in Agravaine's chambers. 

"We've suffered fifty dead, maybe more. Mainly in the lower town," Agravaine reported.

"And there's no way of fighting them?" Arthur asked wearily.

"No. Our only weapons are torches. And the light doesn't kill them. It only repels them."

"What are they?"

"They're Dorocha, Sire," Gaius said, stepping forward. "The spirits of the dead. On Samhain's Eve in the time of the Old Religion, the high priestesses would perform a blood sacrifice and release them."

"But who'd do such a thing now?" Agravaine questioned.

"Morgause,"

"You see her hand in this?" Arthur asked.

"We know she claims to be a high priestess of the Old Religion."

"How do we defeat these creatures?"

"I don't know, Sire. No one has ever survived their touch."

Arthur walked over to the window to see hundreds of refugee villagers with any belongings that they could carry.

"They're coming from across the kingdom, Sire. They're looking to Camelot for protection."

"And we will give it to them."

"We cannot house them all," Agravaine protested.

"We have to try." Merlin, from behind Gaius, nodded in agreement.

"How? We cannot live like this forever, Arthur. We must find a way to vanquish these creatures."

Arthur turned to Gaius. "Somewhere in all your books, Gaius. There must be something. All I'm asking for is a way to fight them."

"I fear the Dorocha cannot be defeat by swords and arrows, Sire. If I am right, and the veil between the worlds is torn, then there's only one path open to us. To travel to the Isle of the Blessed and repair it."

"How can we repair it?"

"I'm not sure. But for the tear to be created would've required a blood sacrifice. To seal would require another."

Arthur seemed to have made up his mind. "We ride before nightfall."

"And who will be the sacrifice?"

"If laying down my life will spare the people of Camelot, then that is what I must do."

-

Arthur sat in the chair across from his despondent father. "There are many things I have to thank you for. You've taught me so much. Most of all, you've taught me what it is to be a prince. I hope that this time you'll be proud of me." Tears welled up in Arthur's eyes, but he did not let them fall. He stood up to leave, but Uther grabbed his arm.

"Don't leave me," Uther said, weakly. 

"I have to, Father." The tears he had been holding back fell down his cheeks. 

"Please."

Arthur gently removed his father's hand and walked away, wiping his tears.

Merlin, Morgana and Gwen watched from the doorway. "Promise me you'll look after him when I'm gone?" Arthur asked Gwen and Morgana.

"You know we will," Gwen said.

Morgana rested her hand on her brother's damp cheek. "Arthur, what's wrong?"

Arthur didn't respond.

"You don't have to come," Merlin told Arthur. "You could send me and the knights and you could stay here."

"I have to go," Arthur insisted.

Morgana stepped back and Merlin stepped forward. She held his forearm. "Please, Arthur. You are precious, not just the kingdom. I- The people need you. Your father needs you."

"You know I have to go, Merlin."

Morgana pulled Arthur into a tight embrace. "Take care, Arthur."

-

"I know what you're thinking, Merlin. You can't," Gaius said as he watched Merlin pack her bag.

"It is my destiny to protect Arthur."

"How? You're magic is useless against the Dorocha."

"Then I must sacrifice myself in his place."

"No."

"My life has always been marked by destiny." Merlin slung her bag over her shoulder. "If this is meant to be... I'm not afraid. I will gladly die if that means that one day... Albion might live." Merlin blinked back tears. In truth, she was absolutely frightened. Not for herself, but for her guardian, her mother, and almost everyone that she knew.

Speechless, Gaius hugged Merlin. She buried her face in his shoulder.

-

They rode nonstop for many hours. They only stopped when the night fell. Once the sun had risen, they continued their journey, passing many groups of frozen peasants on the way. They reached the ruins of Daobeth just before dusk. Immediately, they paired off to gather firewood. Screams echoed all around them.

They stood in a circle around the fire, every other man holding a torch. "It won't get us through the night," Percival told Arthur.

"It'll keep the area safe for a while."

They were about half way through the night when Gwaine threw the last piece of wood into the fire. "The last one. Maybe we should draw lots, see who gets more."

"I'll go," Merlin said, already standing up.

"You'll need help," Lancelot replied, making a move to stand up.

However, Arthur beat him to it. "I'll come with you."

Arthur stood guard with the torch while Merlin picked up the wood. A scream came from behind them. "Merlin!" Arthur yelled, tackling Merlin to the ground. The torch dropped from his hand, as did the sticks that Merlin was holding, and fell off the cliff that they were near. "Let's go!" The duo ran as fast as they could to one of the nearby rooms and shut the door. Merlin tied a cloth around Arthur's injured arm. 

Meanwhile, the knights were growing restless. They had only one torch left and Merlin and Arthur should have been back already. They all went to look for Merlin and Arthur. Well, mostly Merlin.

Merlin shivered as they sat against a wall. They listened to the screams of the Dorochas. "You know," Arthur said, "all the things I've faced... I've never worried about dying."

"I don't think you should now."

Arthur gave her a look.

"We'll find a way, and we'll defeat the Dorocha. Together."

"If we can't find another way..."

"No. Don't talk like that Arthur. You're not going to die."

Arthur didn't respond and they sat in silence for another few minutes. "They say the darkest hour is just before dawn," Arthur said.

"Feels pretty dark right now."

"Well it can't be too far then."

Around them, the air seemed to become colder. A scream, much louder than before echoed through the room. Arthur stood up to face the Dorocha, but Merlin pulled him back and jumped at it, protecting Arthur. The impact threw her against the wall. 

Just then, the rest of the knights ran into the room. Lancelot warded off the Dorocha, then handed the torch to Percival and turned to Arthur. "What happened?" They both turned to Merlin, who was curled up in a tight ball against the wall. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.6K 1.7K 12
The battle of Camlann took many lives, including the Queen of Camelot. As everyone trying getting their lives back to normal, The Knights Of The Roun...
78.3K 3K 36
Sequel to 'Merlyn's Last Dream'. Based on Series 4 of Merlin. When ghosts plague the final moments of a doomed kingdom, cold will fracture the very h...
161K 6.3K 10
In an AU LGBTQ+ accepting Camelot, anybody can love anybody. King Arthur throws a Ball to try and find a romantic companion among his kingdom to make...
84.8K 2.1K 22
description edited 7/13/2022 hi, it's ya boy ambyssall. merlin is my comfort show and i am a gay little boy who is absolutely bonkers over these stup...