Hostel Life

By AkoOku

"I'm shipping you both to boarding school." Those seven words changed Debbie's life forever. ***** Amnesia is... More

Bomb Drop
Is it Prison?
The Boyfriend
Stalker Alert
The Institute for Knowledge
Hot Cheeto Girl
The Homewrecker
After
Ice Cream Solves Everything
The Firecracker
She Said What?
Let's Play Soccer
To Sucky Parents
In A Relationship
It's A Date?
The Bet
Calling Mum
Weed Brownies
Amateur Porn
Rake Me Now
Kiss Of Death
Sneak Peek + A Temporary Goodbye

Death Bed?

197 40 69
By AkoOku

***
"What do you want Deborah?" Her voice came out curt and uptight, the little hope I had slowly fading away with each word. "I'm in the middle of something."

And just like that, all reverie for our relationship vanished into thin air.

"Sorry mum, I just thought you wanted to talk." I was nibbling on my fingers, a bad habit that never left my childhood.

She paused on the phone, giving out a callous sigh before shouting, "Carl! Get these papers to my office. Now!"

I heard the shuffling of paper through the microphone, before the call cut abruptly.

Turn on the Skype on your laptop.

She commanded through text. I did as told, my laptop lagging due to all the files I had stored on it. Come on, work faster! I begged the device, scared that my mum will lose interest and go back to her paperwork.

Finally, it came on and I waited patiently for her call to come through. Fifteen minutes later, a ping alerted me of an incoming video call.

"Hey honey."  She sounded more relaxed now. Through the screen, I could see the white marble design of our kitchen, fake fruits bundled up on the counter she placed her laptop on. She was home. My stomach twisted at the familiar sight.

"I'm sorry for not calling you earlier," I apologized, my eyes still absorbing the scenery. She wore a white pantsuit, her brown hair wrapped in a tight bun. There were little creases on her otherwise flawless face, hidden behind a thin layer of makeup, an indication that she has been stressing herself too much.

I smiled, my heart fluttering with the thought of going home once again.

Her eyes softened at my apology, the harsh exterior she put up at work slowly crumbling down, showing the sweet kind woman I haven't seen in a long while.

"Do you remember?" My smile slowly turned downwards, cursing myself for thinking she'd actually let her guard down enough to care about me.

"No." I spat the words out, my brows scrunched as her wrinkles furrowed further.

"Then why are you calling me?"

I'm beginning to wonder that myself, I thought bitterly. But of course I can never speak that out loud.

"Sorry I'll just-" She interrupted me before I could finish speaking.

"I had some important work to do Deborah," she sighed out, rubbing her head in frustration. "I left everything for you."

"I'm so sor-"

"Did you at least have a dream? Flashback? Anything?" Her eyes contained hope, hope that I was terrified of breaking.

"Yes, I had a dream."

Please don't ask me what I dreamt about.

"What did you dream about?" I could hear the excitement in her voice, eyes crinkling at the side.

I wanted to make up a story, a false memory, but I knew she'd figure out I was lying so I opted for the painful truth instead.

"I can't-"

"Remember?" She finished for me. "I thought so." She just looked disappointed now, as though it was my fault for my loss of memories.

At that moment I just wanted to shut my laptop. I can't believe that even for a minute, I thought our relationship was back to normal.

"Mum," I started, looking for straws to grab at. She looked at me expectantly, a frown painted on her face. I'd do anything to wipe it off.

"I love you."

I meant it. Even though our relationship wasn't going back to normal anytime soon, I wanted her to know how much I treasure her.

"I love you too sweetie." She gave me a faint smile, one that didn't quite reach her eyes. It felt fake but I pushed past it.

"Where's dad?" If I couldn't make her smile I know he could.

As though on queue he jogged towards my view on the screen, tapping on his Beat watch to stop his exercise. Once he noticed me he gave me a big careless smile, the whole expression brightening up his features.

"How's my favorite daughter doing?"

Unlike mum he didn't work on Saturdays, using that time to catch up on his fitness training.

I rolled my eyes, glad that he could intervene our conversation. "I'm your only daughter."

"But you're my favorite." He gave me that signature wink that I'm sure could melt the heart of young teenage girls back in his days.

My mum just stood there observing the both of us, looking deep in thought, her lips pressed in a thin line.

"How's Nate doing?" he asked, grabbing his water bottle and squirting some in his mouth.

"Nate is..." We gave each other that familiar look whenever it came to describing Nate.

"Natey," we both said, bursting into laughter.

Mum rolled her eyes, but I could detect the emotion she tried to hide. Jealousy? "Are you done?"

Dad laughed for a couple more minutes before noticing her serious expression. "Yes," he said, coughing profusely to hide his laughter.

"Deborah." She brought her attention back to me. "I need to get back to work."

I nodded robotically, feeling guilty that I had taken away her lunch break. Her phone vibrated and she quickly answered it.

"What do you want Carl?" Her voice immediately back to it's professional tone. "What do you mean the court meeting is today?"

She looked frantic, quickly getting up. Dad came beside her instantly, rubbing her shoulders in a way to calm her down. It seemed to work.

"You're the most useless assistant I've ever gotten!" A memory sparked of the times she'd complain about Carl and I tried to hold in a laugh, smiling at her words. "Just check my schedule again!"

She looked at her laptop screen and when she saw my smile, she replicated it. I guess she remembers too. "You're so stupid," she directed to Carl.

"Of course it's tomorrow. Make that mistake again and you're fired." Her voice was so calm that you wouldn't even think she'd threatened to strip a man of his job.

Cutting the call she let out a relieved sigh before sitting down once more. "We'll talk more just don't call me during work time," she warned lightly.

"Or else I'll end up on the same boat as Carl?" I insinuated, winking at her while trying to cover up my chuckles.

"Precisely." I liked this playful side of her more. It was impossible to see it through the lawyer exterior she often got attached to.

"See you soon sweetie," Dad said from the oven, probably deciding to bake some cookies as a reward for going out to exercise.

I waved at both of them as I waited for them to cut the call. That wasn't so bad.

But instead, she pressed the wrong button and the camera turned off. Though the call was still ongoing.

"I'm worried about her Jake." I could hear my mum's tense voice as a scrapping sound vibrated, an indication that she was standing up.

"The doctor said everything will be fine." My dad tried to assure her.

"But what if-"

"Honey." He used that sweet voice he only reserved for my mother. "Stop worrying."

"How can you tell me to stop worrying?" she shouted out, her voice cut up with her next statement. "We basically just sent her to her death bed!"

Wait what! My eyes widened at the sudden information. Unknowingly, I leaned further into my laptop.

"We have to be hopeful that she'll remem-"

"And if she doesn't?" my mum interrupted. "What will we do if she doesn't remember?" Her voice was quiet and I could tell she was going to break down at any moment.

"I just want my daughter back," she sobbed.

But I'm still here! I wanted to scream at her, though I just kept quiet, taking everything in.

"She's still your daughter Christina," Dad reassured her. "If everything goes as planned, then rest assured her memory will be restored."

"But-"

"No buts. Have faith in her. If anyone can do it, Debbie can."

Silence followed and I had to check twice to see if I was still connected.

After some time I ended the call, realizing they probably went to a different room, and switched off my laptop.

My mind whirled with different unanswered questions, but one remained ever so prominent.

What did they mean by they had basically just sent me to my death bed?

Too much thoughts were brooding in my head and I ached for a release from them. Checking the time, I saw that I still had one hour till Michie arrived, so I lay back on my bed, staring at the glow in the dark stars adorning my ceiling.

I know I've been here before. I know some of these people may have been my friends. But everything else was a blur. A whole year just swiped past me because of one stupid accident, an accident I couldn't even control. I closed my eyes and tried to block out those bothersome thoughts.

It's all going to get better, I told myself calmly as sleep finally pulled me to an endless abyss. Everything will get better.

My phone vibrated not too long after with an incoming call from Michie. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I picked up the call grudgingly.

"Hey babe, it's time!" Her preppy voice squeaked into the phone. "Where are you?"

Still trying to fight the sleep tempting me to go back to bed, I croaked with the only formidable word I could muster. "Huh?"

"Don't tell me you forgot already." A small tap let me know she had palmed her forehead. "The party," she reminded me.

"I didn't forget," I hissed into the phone.

I totally forgot.

"Aren't you supposed to pick me up or something?"

"Have you even gotten dressed yet?" I could hear the faint sound of trees rustling. Looking down at my baggy red hoodie and whale themed ankle socks I cursed silently.

"Yes," I lied.

"You totally haven't." She laughed into the phone and I stood up from my position on the bed, stretching my limbs until I heard the satisfying sound of joints popping.

"How would you know?" I questioned. Bringing my hand to cup my mouth, I let out a tiny exhale and breathed it in. Damn I need to brush again.

A knock on my window shocked me slightly and I jumped at the sight of a figure standing there. 

"Because I can see you," Michie replied.

"It's party time!"

***

Finallyyyyy! It's time to party!!!

First, thoughts on this chapter?

If you like parties don't forget to click that star button ;)

If not, bruh you're missing out!

Read, vote, comment and enjoy!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 163 21
Sage wasn't your ordinary girl, I'm not even going to lie. Stalking, swooning, and taking pictures were a part of her normal life. When she witnesses...
7.4K 2.2K 29
Imagine going from this: "Can I kiss you?" Those words reverberated through my ears and sent shivers down my spine, literally. I could sense the pass...
17.1K 1.5K 32
❛ IF THERE'S ONE THING I KNOW, IT'S THAT THIS IS NOT MY LIFE ❜ Ever since a devastating accident, Bianca has been in a coma. Her brain created a whol...
2.1K 124 21
"If you love me, you won't leave me." Jessie has believed those words from her boyfriend, Josh, since senior year of high school. She loves him and d...