The Pharaoh's Lotus

By Azukiel

Finally, the armies of the Hittites have been subdued, but at a high cost to both sides. Egypt could not t... More

The Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4**
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26 **
Chapter 27 **
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31**
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35**
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39 **
Chapter 40
Chapter 41**
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Awards

Chapter 18

990 64 177
By Azukiel

Nefertari observed as the Pharaoh paced from one end of her chambers to the other, his hands behind his back and his mind engrossed in thought. His strides were long and unwavering yet weighted with an uneasiness that tore at his heart.

Sighing, the Queen picked up the list of menu items for the union ceremony and continued to scrutinise it. What her husband had done to the Princess was of no fault but his own, and his increasing anxiety over her scorn was no more than what he deserved, so Nefertari thought. She would not let it ruin her planning of the grand royal celebration.

It did not take long for him to stop in the middle of the room to throw up his arms in despair. "She hates me!" He exclaimed.

Nefertari's amber gaze still fixated upon the pressed papyrus, simply hummed in response. 

"She did not attend last evening's banquet nor the morning or afternoon meal... Everyone is talking about her absence... What am I to do?" The Pharaoh lamented. 

Nefertari continued to ignore his plight, causing him to feel more restless.

"Nefertari?" His tone was pleading as he gazed at her in desperation.

Sighing, the Queen placed the papyrus down and feigned a sympathetic smile. "Have you actually gone to apologise to her yet?"

"How can I?" He answered in disbelief to her suggestion. "It is obvious that she is trying to avoid me like I am riddled with some plague."

"Plague of deceit," murmured Nefertari.

Ramses' eyes narrowed on her, having heard her snub, yet he sighed with despair and lowered his gaze again.  "You do not need to guilt me further with your biting words, Nefertari," his voice weakened as his gaze shifted to her once more. "Her absence has been torturous enough...."

 "Stop your moping, my love, and apologise to her!" She reiterated. "You could shower her with all the riches of Egypt, but all it will be is superficial. You do not want to buy her forgiveness. You want to earn it."

Ramses pondered her words for a moment. "You are right," he conceded, finally.

"And what will you do, Ramses?"

"I will go apologize to her."

"Exactly." 

Utati bound into the room, her chest heaving with exhaustion, and leaned against her thighs to catch her breath.

"What is it, Utati?" Malawashina raised one of the arched brows that Seshen had finished plucking. "It appears that you have just come running from a lion."

"That is because I did," she puffed. Malawashina motioned to Seshen to stop her task and raised herself from the carved cedar couch. "What is it that you mean?"

"The Pharaoh, my Princess, is coming here as we speak. His herald came ahead to give prior notice," panted Utati. 

The expression on the princess' face dropped in a moment's breath.

"I feel unwell," her voice was dismissive as she lay back down and motioned to Seshen to continue what she had been doing.

Utati scrunched her petite nose and groaned inwardly. "The whole temple knows this not to be true. Word does spread, you know."

"And does it appear that I care?"

"You should care, Mala. We do not need unscrupulous rumours flying about before the festival and your union to the Pharaoh."

"And how would any of that be my fault, to begin with?"

"What if he has come to apologise to you? Will you at least not hear what he has to say?"

Malawashina looked at her younger friend with suspicion. "And why do you seem to favour him so?"

Utati immediately darted her eyes to the ground and nervously shifted her feet. "He was kind and gentle to me back at the camp, and I felt his kindness to be genuine. He treated me like a person, not like another meagre servant or slave. Unfortunately, such kindness cannot easily be found in monarchs. You, of all people, should know that."

Malawashina's frown deepened as she thought about which monarch her friend was referring to. "Fine, I shall allow an audience," she finally conceded. "Seshen, please help me tidy up before his arrival. Utati, seeing you are so adamant about this meeting, fetch some wine, please. I am going to need it."

The court herald announced the king's arrival with all the titles he deserved, and Malawashina listened patiently, her hands folded at her front. Once the herald left, the Pharaoh turned his remorseful gaze to the Princess. She, however, remained steeled, her forced smile remaining firm upon her made-up features.

"I apologise for the sudden intrusion, Princess Malawashina."

"This is your temple. You can go where you please," she responded rigidly.

Ramses shifted slightly at her snide remark but managed a weak smile.

"May we speak in private?" He looked over to Seshen and then Utati, to whom he smiled warmly. The smaller girl could not prevent the heat that raised in her cheeks and returned his gesture in kind. Yet, when her mistress looked back at her, she shrank and lowered her head.

"Whatever you need to say can be said in front of them."

He nodded in compliance. "As you wish. I think you may know why I have come here."

"I would have no idea, Majesty of Majesties. You are the Pharaoh. You are as inconspicuous as they come."

The collective gasping of both Seshen and Utati could be heard behind her, and immediately they threw themselves to the floor, pressing their foreheads hard to the limestone in obeisance. Ramses knew it would not be easy to break through to the Princess after what he had done and thus accepted her slight for simply what it was; affliction.

Sighing, he, too, went down to his knees and widened his arms in reverence before the beautiful young woman who stood firm and proud.

Yet, her eyes widened at the display before her. She did not expect him, the Pharaoh of all Egypt, to bow before her in front of her servants. Now, she was utterly dumbstruck.

"Princess," Utati murmured through gritted teeth, her head still on the ground. "He is the Pharaoh! Bow down!"

Malawashina blinked hard, her mind still comprehending what was going on.

"There is no need, Utati," he replied gently before Malawashina could react.

"I am at fault, so I pay my reverence to the woman who soon shall be my wife, for I have wronged her and deserve her wrath in any form she sees fit. However, I want her to know how sorry I am and that I never intended to hurt her. I wish for us to be on amicable terms before our union. I shall be forever in her debt and will sing her praises to the gods if she can find it within her heart to forgive me, even a little."

Both Seshen and Utati raised their heads collectively. Why were their hearts aflutter?

"Even if she does not forgive me," he continued, "I shall keep the promises I made to her on our journey here; that I will always be here for her, by her side, as her friend and soon as her husband, to cherish and protect her."

Malawashina, her gaze softening against her will, blinked away the tears that had formed at the corners. "Ramses..."

He raised himself from the floor then and looked down at her with a soft and affectionate expression. "Words do not need to be shared now. But I hope you will join us for the evening banquet, where we may speak more if you allow it."

The Princess sniffed and gave a slight nod. "I will consider it," she answered, her two servants gaping at her in disbelief.

Ramses smiled brightly, pleased with her answer. "Then, I bid you all good day and may the rays of Ra's touch bless you and keep you. Till this evening," he nodded in farewell, his brilliant eyes finding their way to hers, sending her heart into wild trills of enchantment. Her body was rooted in the spot where she stood, and all she could do was nod back, a word not spoken. She watched in awe as he strode away, his long azure cloak fluttering behind his tall, regal frame.

"Malawashina, you are such a fool!" Utati exclaimed when the king was well out of earshot. Malawashina blinked and turned her violet gaze to the young servant.

"I beg your pardon?" The Princess answered in stern disbelief.

"You heard me, Mala. What in the names of all the gods were you thinking? To be so defiant towards the Pharaoh of Egypt, your future husband? Have you gone insane? Did the heat of the journey truly melt your head?" She threw her arms up in the air.

"Utati!" Seshen gasped, pulling the defiant young girl back by the arm. "Still your tongue! You do not speak to the Princess in such a manner!"

Utati yanked her arm away. "If your Pharaoh was not as kind as he is, we could all have been whipped because of her insolence. And you call me the bratty one?"

"Firstly, Utati, my inference towards the Pharaoh is all part of my plan with Queen Nefertari to punish him for deceiving me. Secondly, though I understand your concern, that will be the last time you speak to me in such a manner. I know your red moon will soon grace you, but you must watch how you speak. I will tolerate it this time, but others here will not. You must be careful. But if you do speak to me in such a manner again, I will have one of Pharaoh's guards spank your backside black and blue!"

Utati shifted fearfully, lowered her head in remorse, and stepped back.

"But will you at least forgive him... I mean, how could you resist a god like him?" Her tone was meek. Malawashina raised an eyebrow, grinning inwardly.

"Are you to say you're the enamoured one?" She teased.

Utati's eyes shot open, and she gasped. "N-No! I mean... he... I can see where the prince gets his beauty. Both his mother and his father. I would never have thought gods and goddesses truly walked this earth...."

Malawashina laughed heartily. "I will go to the evening banquet, do not worry about that. Do you have any other biting words you wish to share?"

"No, Princess, I am finished. Apologies...."

Malawashina smiled affectionately and scruffed her younger friend's hair.

"Go fetch me a bath and use the finest oils we have," she ordered. "Quickly now before I do decide to have you spanked."

As the young maid ran off to do as tasked, Malawashina took the wine chalice that Utati had brought to her before the Pharaoh's arrival. Then, gulping down the sweet nectar, she turned to Seshen, who stood staring in surprise. "Please, let us find my finest dress."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

331 36 10
Kingship, the ultimate power in the ancient world. To the Egyptians, it was a power passed through the female line. Only the husband of the Solar Pri...
368K 20.2K 73
BOOK 1 OF 'The WAR of Dynasties' SERIES ✨ Princess Chandralekha was born in a royal family and was promised to the wealthiest king, but little did sh...
2.1K 297 82
When the jealous pharaoh Hathset discovers a member of his harem conducting an illicit affair with a scribe he places a curse on them. Little does he...
25.5K 684 34
Izidora. A beautiful Hebrew, who gets visions in her dreams, is given the chance work in the Pharaoh's palace as the Queens right hand maiden. What h...