Between Life and Death

AngelinxWP द्वारा

A girl as selfless as Amarah Clarisse dela Cuesta will do everything for her loved ones. And for the boy who... अधिक

Between Life and Death
Don't Fall
Priority
Eerie
Hope
Cherish
Friend
Destined
Tightly
Mission
Deceived

Invite

68 46 7
AngelinxWP द्वारा

Maxon's POV

"Do it, Son. And I'll let you marry any woman you'd like."

I never thought my father would make me do things against my will. But I guess, that's what money does.

Don Maximus Villegas wants me to make the daughter of his biggest rival to fall in love. And when I get the right information, I can dump the girl and he said he'll take it from there.

It's simple, but something inside me wants to refuse this.

Habang nakaupo sa harapan ni Papa, pinapanood ako mula sa kanyang swivel chair ay sinilip ko ang aking phone. Still no text from Carrie.

My Carrie.

She wouldn't want to hear about this nor will agree for me to do it. But with my father around, I'm sure we won't have a say on anything.

But then, the offer is so damn tempting. For years, the sons and daughters of the Villegas family marries the people their parents chose for them. The smartest, prettiest and most of all, the richest.

And of course, I'm no exception. Not if I won't take this offer.

I sighed, "Papa, let me think about this. I'll give you my answer, maybe... tomorrow." I said and stood up.

He nodded and smiled a little, probably taking this as a victory, "Very well, Son. You may go now."

Papa really knows how to ruin my day. May pasok ngayon at kakagaling ko lang sa Campus Tour tapos ganoon ang salubong sa akin. I shook my head.

When I went down the grand staircase, my butler, Francis, came to me. "Sir, the breakfast is ready."

I just nodded my head. I don't even know why I need a butler in the first place. I don't need anyone wiping my ass or balls wherever I go. This is Mama's fault.

She travels a lot, thanks to all the money Papa makes. And still, she wants to make sure I'm well taken care of, so here we are.

I had my breakfast and a little bit of protein shake. Dala ang aking bag, lumabas ako at dumiretso sa aking Ferrari. Dad got me this as a birthday present, or more like a payment for being not with me most of the time.

The butler waited outside the gate until I was away. I hate babysitters.

When I got to the school, I went straight to the gym, wala pa rin masyadong tao dahil sobrang aga pa, I didn't bother texting Carrie because she's probably preparing right now. I saw the rest of the team sitting on the benches while some of the staffs are fixing the elevated platform.

Umakyat ako at pinuntahan sila, "Captain." Bati ni Kent. After giving each other a high five, we sat and waited for our coach to come. "Balita ko may bago daw students. Mga late enrolee." Bulong sakin ni Kent nang naging busy maglaro ang iba sa amin.

"So?" I raised my brow. This man has a habit of teasing me that I'm replaceable in the team, that I should be threatened in every new male student because they might take my place. I try to keep my cool, but sometimes I just lose it.

He smirked, "I know what you're thinking, man. I'm not teasing you, I'm just informing you." Then he laughed.

I shook my head. The rest of the boys are chilling while munching on a bag of chips, the others are watching or playing games on there phones. The sight made me miss my brother. I wish he's still here.

My mind flew back to my dad's offer. I know why he's willing to sacrifice his only heir to the company to marry anyone. It's because he is seeking revenge.

The father of Amarah Clarisse dela Cuesta is the reason why my brother, Maximus Villegas II, is six feet below the ground.

I clench my fist with the memory. If I agree to this, I won't just marry Carrie but also make that man's family's lives a living hell. And with that, I made a mental note of meeting my dad in his study again later.

Carson, another basketball player passed me a warm coffee, "Want some, man?" He asked.

I nodded, "Thanks." I muttered and opened the cup, he sat beside me when Kent went away, I noticed the faint sadness in his eyes as he stare at his cup, "What's the prob?" I casually asked.

Still not looking at me, he smiled sadly, "Well, Lyka wants us to break up, but I don't. I'm kinda torn." He sighed.

I nodded letting him continue, "Her reason is that I'm too busy with basketball, which is I'am. I said I'll make it up for her and make her happy again. But then..." The small smile a while ago vanished, "But then she said that us breaking up will make her happy."

"Gusto kong gawin, Max, pero paano naman ako?"

Love is indeed a weird thing. Love can be selfish, but it can also be selfless. It can be  beneficial, but also disadvantageous.
It's really up to us which role will we play, in between being the one who leaves or the one being left.

I remember Carrie and I, we've been in the similar situation many times, but in the process we agreed not to make break ups an option. I hope we keep it that way. Or she keeps it that way until I tell her what I'm about to do.

I put a hand on Carson's shoulder, "Man, the right woman will never choose this option for the both of you." I said. I'm not really good with giving advice but I really do try my best.

He shook his head, "I will make this work. Kahit na magmakaawa pa ako, gagawin ko. I want her, man. I'll do everything to keep her mine."

And I don't know if my friend is selfish or selfless. Maybe a little bit of both.

Hindi nagtagal ay dumating na si coach, isa-isa niya kaming binati, sa likod niya ay ang mga bago naming recruit na players. "Okay team, I congratulate you once again for the success of our tour." Coach declared, we cheered.

"Today is dedicated to all of you." He continued. "To my current team, congratulations." He repeated and faced the new players, "And to my future team, welcome."

And with that, we decided to get to know the new recruits, we found out how hard the training is from the school they came from so we assured them nothing will be the same here.

The hours passed and the staffs are finally done arranging the platform, isa-isa na din nagdatingan ang mag-aayos ng mga table sa gilid. The whole gym is now decorated with huge navy blue banners with gold balloons sprinkling the floors and ceilings. Coach summoned us on the back stage to wear our varsity jackets and uniforms.

Our Administrator graced us with her presence and congratulated us as well.

We stayed in the backstage for a couple of minutes, Ms. Santiago started her short introduction for us until Coach Rob finally took over to present us.

The little event went on, when I stepped into the stage I was greeted with cheers and applause, I scanned the benches surrounding above me, searching for only one person.

When it ended, every students are free to congratulate us personally, I spotted carrie on one of the benches and made my way on the left stairs, a bunch of people get in my way to greet, of course I thanked them but right now I only have one goal in mind.

There, sitting quietly is my Carrie. My ever prim and proper Carrie. I still remember how I realized that I like her. We've been friends since we were young, our parents became business partners because Mama and Papa invested in their small company. I met her when we visited them and there's no one to be left with me in the house so Mama and Papa decided to take me. She was so little, so fragile. As our parents talk in the private meeting hall, we played in the living room.

"Sorry." Her voice sounded so afraid she accidentally spilled the cup of watercolor on my shirt, if this is any other person, i'd throw a tantrum. But she's different. Even if I'm just 8 years old back then, I felt the need to protect her. Like a brother would.

That is not the last time we met, we saw each other many times. I celebrated my 15th birthday with her too, and hers with me. She taught me many things in life and made me humble. She kept my feet on the ground whenever I feel too great in playing.

That time, I realized that the love I have for her is not brotherly anymore.

Her eyes landed on me, I ran to her with my arms wide open, and she stood up doing the same. Damn I missed this.

If only I can tell my parents, of only I can make her really mine. If.

I sighed, please understand me and what I'm about to do.

"Missed me?" She whispered and chuckled. We pulled away and I caught her teary eyes.

I smile sadly, "Of course."

So we joined the others in the party. Kent and Liam are currently having drinks with the rest of the team, Carson is nowhere in sight, I wish he can settle everything.

I put my hand around Carries waist and guided her on one of the sofa they set up early. The people from the editor ask us for a picture do we took a pose.

We sat down finally having our peace, we have a plate filled with foods and a red cup of beer. They already turned down the lights making the place dim, the music also started blaring.

This would be the perfect time.

"So babe," I started. She raised her eyebrows while chewing her fillet. Please understand. "Papa wants ne to do something."

Now I got her full attention, she even turned to face me. "Ano naman yun?" She asked. The girl is her friend, and I know much about girl code to know that this might do something with their friendship.

I sighed, here we go, "He's giving me a really good offer. But I have to do something first." I started.

She smiled weakly and shoved a piece of fry in her mouth, "Cut the crap, baby. Just go straight to the point."

"He wants me to date Amarah dela Cuesta." I mumbled.

She stopped, her eyes widen staring far. She slowly turned to face me, "Seriously? Max, this is not a good joke." She warned and placed her plate down.

I held her hand between mine and caressed it using my thumb, "I'm still not agreeing. But do you know why I even consider this?" Not waiting for her answer, I continued, "He will let me marry who I want. He will not engage me to anyone else. Baby, I can get to pick who's going to be my wife."

With what I said, I noticed how her face softened. We both know our family's traditions, and this chance is so rare.

"Tell me what's your plan." She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes.

- -

"Grabe!" Amaris exclaimed as we went down from riding Rio Grande. We are both wet and freezing.

So far, my plan is going on smoothly. It's a big advantage when Carrie told me that Amaris likes me, so it became really easy in making her agree to things I ask.

Because of this, my father is so satisfied as well.

"So, where are going to ride next?"

The night went on, and just like what Carrie adviced, I should take Amaris to the Ferries Wheel. And she isn't wrong, I saw the twinkle in Amaris' eyes as we sat. At some point I felt guilty because everything I'm doing is a lie.

The days went on and I always take her out after school. Carrie has been so supportive, maybe it's the deal with my father is what keeps her going.

One day after that week of almost full with Amaris, Carrie and I agreed to sneak out. "Babe!" I called.

She faced me and gave me a hug. "Mabuti naman dumating ka. Akala ko puro Amaris ka na, eh." I smiled.

My little jealous girl.

We spent the rest of the day together and ended it with a tender kiss. I can't take her to my house becausey father doesn't know about us, same for her parents.

Sometimes I get tired with what I'm doing with Amaris. But I can't knowing the price is too great. My phone rang and saw it's Papa. "Hello, Pa?" I answered.

"I know you know about the launch of our new company, right?" He said slowly.

"Yes, Pa." I replied.

"Take Amarah dela Cuesta as your date. I want to meet her."

So I called her again, cutting the basketball training excuse. We met at the cafe near the school, when she walk in I noticed the cold look in her face.

I smiled and offered her a chair but her face didn't falter. "Hi. Do you like anything?" I asked.

She shook her head, "No. So bakit mo ako pinapunta dito?" She asked but her face is still grim.

I sighed, I don't want to deal with her attitude. She's not Carrie. "Be my date to my father's party."

Her eyes widen a little followed by the knitted eyebrows, "Why don't you take Carrie?" She asked.

I was caught off guard with her reply but I won't show it, "Because... because it's you that I want." I said slowly.

She blinked as her eyes studies me. She stood up and said, "Fine." And she walked away.

I suddenly got worried, what if she knows about my plans now? No. I won't let it happen. For my future, for Carrie.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

877K 58.6K 33
Discovering an abandoned town in the middle of a forest, Odeth is transported to a time when the ghost town was alive, but as someone else--Olivia Va...