Until Forever

By bbcherrytomato

(Based on the Korean TV Drama Series Queen Seon Deok which aired on GMA TV last 2010. It tells of the ill-fat... More

Prologue
Part 1 - Chapter 1
Part 1 - Chapter 2
Part 1 - Chapter 3
Part 1 - Chapter 5
Part I - Chapter 6
Part I - Chapter 7
Part I - Chapter 8
Part I - Chapter 9
Part I - Chapter 10
Part I - Chapter 11
Part I - Chapter 12
PART 2 - Chapter 1
Part 2 - Chapter 2
PART 2 - Chapter 3
Part 2 - Chapter 4
Part 2 - Chapter 5
Part 2 - Chapter 6
Part 2 - Chapter 7
Part 2 - Chapter 8
Part 2 - Chapter 9
Part 2 - Chapter 10
Part 2 - Chapter 11
Part 2 - Chapter 12
Epilogue
Author's Note

Part 1 - Chapter 4

169 2 0
By bbcherrytomato

CHAPTER 4

An hour before midnight, as most lamps were quietly extinguished to give in to the quiet sleep provided by the last hour of eventide, a solitary figure can be seen slowly walking on the road towards the Royal Palace.  Bidam looked at the two scrolls in his hand and smiled, I am doing the right thing. This will put her mind at ease.

When he arrived at the Palace he was immediately admitted in spite of the late hour. He then asked the Royal Household Guard to announce him to the Queen. He found Her Majesty still seated at her desk, not even divested of her Royal vestments, poring over several books.

After greeting the Queen formally, he sat before her and presented the two rolls of parchment to her. The Queen slowly read the document and looked up at him, obviously dumbfounded by what she had read.

            “Did you write this yourself?” she asked, her eyes betraying her amazement.

            “Yes, Your Majesty. It is my covenant to you,” Bidam said, smiling at her bewildered expression. “It simply states that should Her Majesty leave this world before I do, I, Bidam, will relinquish all my political offices and leave the secular world to devote my remaining days in tonsure, looking after your memorial,” he replied, a soft smile etched on his handsome face.

            “Bidam!” the Queen exclaimed, her heart pounding in her chest, desperately wanting to believe the truth of his words. Is this true? Will he really give up everything when I’m gone? Is it possible?

            “We will each have a copy. Just in case you’re unable to make its contents public then I will be able to present this to the courts in due time,”

            The Queen, unsure on how to react, stared at Bidam, a slight frown creasing her brow. She wanted to put her arms around him and thank him for such a noble gesture yet her inability to fathom Bidam’s intentions restrained her from doing so.

            “Why are you doing this?” the Queen asked him instead.

            “Well, this is what you’ve been worried about, isn’t it? That I’m only seeking to gain more power through you? But, for someone like me, it’s really not a hard thing to do. My devotion for you and this nation are one and the same and should you leave this world before me, then this whole kingdom will lose its meaning for me. What importance will any government position or political office have to me after you’re gone?” he said. You are my world, Deokman. Without you, I will cease to exist!

            “Bidam!” the Queen exclaimed, overwhelmed by Bidam’s effusive declaration.

            “I will do everything in my power to fulfil this oath. I will do this for Your Majesty’s and this nation’s sake. I, Bidam, swear this on my life.” Bidam said.

            The Queen looked at him, stunned speechless by his sworn oath.

            Bidam then gave the Queen a copy and retained the other one for himself, unaware that such a well-meaning document will set off a deadly chain of events that will ultimately seal their fates.

A few days after Bidam’s secret oath, while the Queen was in conference with Lords Yong Chun, Misaeng, Seo Hyeon and the newly-appointed Sangdaedung Bidam discussing the situation with Baekje, a breathless Lord Al Cheon, Her Majesty’s personal aide and protector, came bursting through the Queen’s chambers; his pleased expression a manifestation of the good news he was bringing.  

            “Your Majesty, the ‘Yushin Army’ led by Chief Marshall Kim Yushin had successfully subdued the advancing Baekje armies and had regained control of Iseo Gun and Chuwha Gun,” Chief Al Cheon said.

            Yong Chun immediately congratulated the Queen on their troops’ victory. “Your Majesty, it seems that with this victory the worst is over.”  

            “Yes, it seems like it,” the Queen replied, pleased with the news herself.

            “What about Daeya fortress? Have we recovered it?” Bidam anxiously asked. He still hasn’t gotten over the fact that his oversight in taking Yushin’s intelligence report seriously had been instrumental in the fall of their once-impenetrable fortress.

            “Our forces haven’t reached Daeya fortress yet but they have already set-up camp at the eastern front and are presently preparing to lay siege on the Baekje defence line,” Alcheon replied.  

            Although Bidam quickly acknowledged the news the Queen had already seen the apprehension on his face. She knew that it would be the one mistake that he would always lament mainly because he had let his personal feelings cloud his otherwise keen and perceptive mind. The rivalry, both politically and personally, between Yushin and Bidam had become one of her many predicaments and she knew that she had to put a stop to it before it escalated any further. She hoped that the announcement she intended to make during the welcome reception for the returning troops would settle that matter and give Bidam the assurance that she knew, he so desperately needed.

            “Well, then, let us prepare to congratulate our victorious troops. Lord Alcheon, please instruct the Royal Kitchens to prepare a welcome feast for our men. It’s time that we celebrate the end of this war” the Queen said, trying to lighten the tense atmosphere in the chambers.

            “Yes, Your Majesty,” a smiling Alcheon replied. He bowed and hurriedly left to carry out the Queen’s instructions.

Three days later, after receiving word of the quick approach of the victorious troops, the whole of Seorabol was in a light and festive mood, feverishly preparing for the grand welcome arranged for them. News of the Yushin Army’s triumph had spread and the people excitedly awaited the appearance of the returning victors. The marketplace and town square were strewn with flowers and ribbons everywhere in anticipation of the arrival of the Silla troops. Even the palace was not immune to the high spirits that permeated the entire city. The whole court was in attendance, literally buzzing with excitement, while the Queen silently sat on her throne, waiting patiently for the troops’ arrival.

After a triumphant parade through the city Yushin and his men reached the palace and entered the assembly hall, battle-weary yet exhilarated by their success. The Queen rose to greet Chief Marshall Kim Yushin and his subordinate, the former Gaya prince and restoration movement leader, Lord Wolya. 

            “Your Majesty, Chief Marshal Kim Yushin, returns after fulfilling his mission,” Yushin said. Both he and Wolya went down on one knee before the Queen to formally salute her.

            “Chief Marshal, you have proven once again your unparalleled battle skills by rescuing our nation from the Baekje invaders. By Royal decree, you will be granted the territory of Eui Gok for your outstanding efforts.” The Queen said, smiling benevolently at Lord Yushin.

            “I am overwhelmed by Your Majesty’s magnanimity,” Yushin replied, bowing before Her Majesty.

            “To your subordinate, Lord Wolya, whose efforts are also beyond reproach, I grant him a permanent position in the Board so that he will be able to assist Chief Marshal Kim Yushin in the strengthening of our armies.”

            “I am overwhelmed by Your Majesty’s magnanimity,” replied Lord Wolya, bowing before the Queen.    

After giving Her Majesty a final formal bow, the two men rose and stood amongst the other court members to listen to the Queen speak.

            “Ever since I came into power I have always believed that safeguarding our people’s livelihood was the key to our dream of unification and that’s why our efforts were mostly focused on increasing the number of farmers who owned lands. Because of this, the development of our military power had been marginalized. Baekje, on the other hand, had devoted all efforts to increasing their military power. I, therefore, acknowledge the fact that my oversight had been partly responsible for this war.

            However, I stand by my belief that even in war it is the people who enjoy more stability and prosperity who will triumph in the end. And so, though we must still continue to support our people in gaining their own lands, from now on we will turn our attention to strengthening our military. The number of troops will be increased and we will reduce the manufacturing of farming implements and allocate a greater percentage of our steel in the production of weaponry. I am confident that we will easily overtake the military advancements of Baekje if we continue on this path,” the Queen paused, silently preparing for her more important announcements.

            “And since we are now on constant war footing, I also decree that the troops under the command of the Sangdaedung be placed under the Military Board where they will be retained as reserved Special Forces.”

            The court suddenly broke into a violent babble of voices; murmurs of dissent and outright outrage were heard from different factions. Lord Jujin, unable to contain himself came forward and voiced his disagreement.

            “But Your Majesty, those troops are currently training under the Sangdaedung’s supervision!”

            The other Lords nodded, voicing their agreement and some even suggested that the troops be retained under the Sangdaedung’s command and be recalled by the Military Board only when a new emergency arose. Their arguments were cut short when Bidam stepped forward to address the court.

            “Our Heavenly Kingdom is in a state of crisis! We must do whatever it takes to protect our beloved nation,” he said, his irritation at their stubbornness barely contained. He gave them all a severe look and challenged them to refute his words. No one dared to defy him however, and all protestations slowly died down. He then turned to address the Queen as the court looked on quietly.

            “Your Majesty, I will immediately transfer all the troops under my command to the Board and will personally re-shuffle their ranks,” Bidam said and after formally bowing to the Queen returned to his appointed place.

            The Queen nodded in agreement, thankful that Bidam had stepped in to quell the objections of the Lords.

            “Since that is all settled, I have one final announcement to make,” she paused and looked at all the assembly before her.  They all looked up to listen, apprehension now clearly written on their faces.

            “I will be holding royal nuptials, soon,” she said.

            The whole court immediately went into another uproar. She saw the shocked expressions on Lords Chun Chu, Yong Chun and Seo Hyeon. Yushin refused to look at her and remained staring at the floor but his pale face told her that he, too, was shaken by her announcement. It was Lord Yong Chun who posed the question that everyone in the court was dying to ask.        

            “Your Majesty, when you said royal nuptials…with..with whom?” Lord Yong Chun stammered.

            The Queen looked out to all of them and with all the confidence she could muster said in a clear, determined voice:

            “Sangdaedung Lord Bidam.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 789 22
A Girl who wishes she could gain the attention of her crush was definitely not expecting she will get more than "Attention". A Girl so cold but deep...
1.5K 342 48
"I saw this dream again" jungkook said with heavy breath. "Today again this dream, does this have any connection with my future" y/n said while smili...
3.1K 160 11
"No you can't because nobody cares for me they only care about themselves" I was a little surprised with what she said. "That's not true my parents a...
11K 1K 54
"Stop there where you are.Approach no further.Remember ! you can't come near a womanizer" "You love me ! I know" Jungkook hoarsely completed the sent...