Until Forever

By bbcherrytomato

(Based on the Korean TV Drama Series Queen Seon Deok which aired on GMA TV last 2010. It tells of the ill-fat... More

Part 1 - Chapter 1
Part 1 - Chapter 2
Part 1 - Chapter 3
Part 1 - Chapter 4
Part 1 - Chapter 5
Part I - Chapter 6
Part I - Chapter 7
Part I - Chapter 8
Part I - Chapter 9
Part I - Chapter 10
Part I - Chapter 11
Part I - Chapter 12
PART 2 - Chapter 1
Part 2 - Chapter 2
PART 2 - Chapter 3
Part 2 - Chapter 4
Part 2 - Chapter 5
Part 2 - Chapter 6
Part 2 - Chapter 7
Part 2 - Chapter 8
Part 2 - Chapter 9
Part 2 - Chapter 10
Part 2 - Chapter 11
Part 2 - Chapter 12
Epilogue
Author's Note

Prologue

491 8 1
By bbcherrytomato

PROLOGUE

            Midnight. Only the soft twitter of crickets broke the silence of the slumbering forest. The lone figure of a man sat motionless behind the trees, watching the deserted road. His dark clothes, together with the wide-brimmed hat that covered his face helped him blend with the surrounding forest, rendering him invisible to the untrained eye. Silent and unmoving, like a predator stalking its unsuspecting victim, he lay quietly in wait. He knew that his mark would not risk travelling through the main road to the capital.

           After the incident at Chuwha County all roads leading to Seorabol would surely be heavily-guarded, if not barricaded by now. His target's only chance of evading the authorities would be the back roads that traversed the forest, and this same road, being the shortest route between the mines and the capital, would be the most logical one he would take. He also knew that the mines would be his target's only refuge now that their rebellious plot had been exposed.

             For the past few days he had been observing his target's movements and he was not happy with what he had learned. The weapons and other troop provisions he saw being systematically stored within the abandoned mines near the border of Seorabol confirmed his suspicion. His target, together with his co-conspirators, were actively preparing for an uprising. It was time that he put a stop to their delusions. He had reached the limit of his patience and he could no longer tolerate their sly manipulations, their illusions of grandeur, their unquenchable thirst for power. It was also about time that he honored his promise to Her Majesty.

            At last, the distinct sound of shuffling feet was heard. His prey had arrived. Silently, he left his hiding place and moved towards the road. Approaching was a group of men, casting nervous glances as they walked into the darkened forest, their torches forming eerie shadows against the trees. Slowly he advanced towards them, unaware of another dark shape shadowing his every step.

            The men halted when his tall frame, clad in a non-descript attire, blocked their path. The large straw hat which he wore low on his brow obscured his face and a long sword was held loosely in his hand. They were startled when, in an imposing tone, he called out to their leader.

            "Yeomjong! Show yourself, you coward! Stop hiding behind your men and face me!" he shouted.

            "Who are you to address me that way, you miserable wretch!" a voice from behind the men answered.

            The man removed the straw hat concealing his face and flung it towards Yeomjong. He slowly lifted his head. His eyes were blazing with unmistakable fury as he greeted Yeomjong with a mocking smile.

            "Bidam!" Yeomjong exclaimed. He tentatively stepped back, genuinely fearing for his life. Yeomjong knew Bidam well and he immediately recognized the bloodlust in his opponent's unwavering stare.

            "My Lord! Where have you been? We've been searching all over for you!" Yeomjong cried after regaining a little of his composure.

            "It's over, Yeomjong. I'm sick and tired of your despicable conspiracies. So, stop wasting my time and let's get this over with quickly! You're not the only one on my list, afterall!" Bidam replied, sneering.  

            Yeomjong knew in his heart that Bidam was not to be fooled and was bent on killing him. There was no forgiveness to be found in his superior this time. Yeomjong made to run as he screamed for his men to attack the hostile new arrival.

            "What are you waiting for, you fools? Kill him! Kill him!" he shrieked.

            Yeomjong's men ran towards Bidam, their drawn swords pointing menacingly at him. Bidam smiled and slowly unsheathed his own sword. He flexed his neck, as if loosening the tense muscles there and with his feet postured apart, braced for the onslaught, the silver blade of his sword glinting maliciously in the firelight.

            "Twelve to one..hmm..seems like an even fight," he said, taunting his opponents, a lopsided grin etched on his handsome face. With his free hand, he gestured for them to come forward. Yeomjong's men charged and commenced their assault. Bidam swung his sword and parried each deadly blow, slashing left and right, cutting down everything in its path like a scythe. One by one, the men fell to the ground, dead.

            The last three survivors circled him as they prepared to launch a concerted attack. With astonishing speed and grace, Bidam leaped from the ground and pirouetted in midflight, his sword cruelly hacking into his opponents' bodies with deadly precision as he came down at them. In the blink of an eye, the battle was over and Bidam was left standing amongst Yeomjong's fallen men. Breathing heavily, more out of exhilaration than exhaustion, he looked up at Yeomjong and smiled triumphantly.

            Yeomjong, choking with rising panic, slowly backed away from Bidam's approaching form. He stopped short when his back hit the trunk of a tree. He turned to flee but Bidam adeptly leapt to his feet and landed directly in front of him, his sword poised at Yeomjong's throat.

            "I should have killed you a long time ago, you scum!" Bidam said, a cynical smile curving his lips.

            "I can see that you haven't lost your touch, my lord. You are still the best swordsman I've ever seen! Truly, you're a master, a master, indeed!" Yeomjong said, chortling nervously, his eyes darting from left to right, frantically searching for an escape.

            "Ah, I remember now. I also wondered then if you could still laugh with your head rolling in the dirt. Perhaps it's time that I satisfy my curiosity," Bidam said. He raised his sword, the metal glinting with evil purpose, prepared to deliver the death blow.

            The gleaming sword stopped midway its deadly track when, out of the corner of his eye, Bidam saw a dim figure emerge from behind the trees. In the silence of the forest he heard the soft hiss of the poisoned projectile as it flew towards him. He twisted his body to the left, just in time to avoid the deadly dart that was the meant to end his life. His eyes followed its path as it harmlessly hit the trunk of the tree behind him. The assassin adjusted his aim and let loose a second dart but Bidam easily deflected it with the blade of his sword. Hastily, he turned away from Yeomjong and pursued his would-be killer.

           The assassin swiftly ran towards the forest, but Bidam was able to overtake him with ease. The black-clad figure turned and drew his sword, forced to face his pursuer. His sword clashed with his chaser's bloodstained weapon as he tried to strike, left then right, desperately trying to cut his adversary down but skilled as he was, he still was no match for the other man's expertise. The assassin was quickly overpowered and disarmed in just a few seconds.

            "Who ordered you to kill me?" Bidam asked the assassin, his sword poised threateningly at the other man's throat. The man, however, remained silent, his eyes flashing in defiant hatred at his executioner.

            Unable to receive any response, Bidam impatiently pulled off the assassin's mask and was stunned when he immediately recognised the man to be Heuk San, one of Her Majesty's household guards, the same man who had denied him access to the Queen just a couple of days ago.

            A cold sweat broke out on his forehead as a dreadful thought hit him. It can't be! It's impossible! A thousand possibilities swam inside his head and he dreaded the man's answer. Yet his desire to know the truth overpowered his fear.

            "Tell me the truth! Who sent you here?" he screamed – icy panic slowly creeping into his heart."Tell me or I swear I'll cut you down, right here, right now!" he furiously asked, his bloodied sword now pressing against the assassin's exposed neck.  

             The guard called Heuk-San, still fearless and defiant, just stared at him and said nothing.

            "Answer me, you bastard! Who sent you to kill me?" Bidam hissed, pressing his sword closer to the man's neck.

            "Kill all enemies of our kingdom! Kill all traitors! Long live Her Majesty!" Heuk San cried insolently and with surprising strength, grabbed Bidam's arm and pressed it closer to his neck, the sword slicing lethally against his throat.

            Bidam stared as the dying man slowly slid to the ground, dumbfounded by the unexpected suicide of his ill-fated assassin, the deadly sword falling from his numbed fingers.

            Dazed by the dying man's final words, Bidam slowly turned and walked away from the ghastly scene. Heuk-san's dying words kept ringing inside his head, the message clear yet too staggering to believe.

            Yeomjong came running beside the dead man's body and shrieked when he also recognised the black-clad figure.

            "My lord! This man was a Palace Guard! He's one of Her Majesty's personal household guards. How could he...." he stopped short when he saw the same conclusion etched in Bidam's anguished expression. When he looked back, he saw Bidam walking aimlessly down the dirt road.

             It can't be! She wouldn't!  Bidam kept on repeating to himself. It's impossible!

            Yeomjong ran after Bidam and grabbed his arm. Slowly, he guided his confused leader to the side of the road and made him sit on a small rock. As if in a trance, glazed eyes staring out into the dark, his lips moving wordlessly, Bidam followed without resistance. Yeomjong knew that he had to bring the valiant warrior back to his senses.

            "Master, this treachery cannot be forgiven! You must take action now. The Palace guard was obviously sent by Her Majesty to kill you!" he paused, waiting for any reaction from his befuddled leader. Emboldened by the other's silence, Yeomjong plunged on.

            "Look at what she's done to you! You devoted your life in service to her, you almost abandoned us for her sake and this is how she rewards you?" Yeomjong cried.

            As if awoken from a deep sleep, Bidam slowly turned his gaze towards Yeomjong and grabbed him by the throat.

            "If you don't shut your mouth, I will slice it off of your face," he said, the crazed look on his eyes almost dissolving Yeomjong's determination. Yeomjong knew, however, that he had to break through the other man's chaotic mind so he steeled himself and mustered what little courage he had left.

            "Go ahead! Kill me, then! But will it change anything? Will it change the fact that Her Majesty had finally turned against you?" he screamed.

            Bidam felt like a thousand knives were suddenly thrust into his heart. He pushed Yeomjong away and slowly rose on trembling legs, his whole being assaulted by a piercing feeling of defeat and revulsion.

            Yeomjong started to rise too; intent on following his leader, but Bidam raised his hand and signaled for him to stop.

            "Let me be," he said quietly and slowly walked towards the eerily silent forest.

            Yeomjong knew that his master was in a very dangerous state of mind and must not be provoked any further so he sat back down and contended himself with watching the tormented man stagger away. He could almost touch the waves of conflicting emotions that emanated from Bidam's plagued soul.

            Silently, he looked at the retreating figure of Bidam and thought, Go and confront your demons, Bidam. I will be here, waiting...

Author's Note: This story was based on the Korean TV Drama, Queen Seon Deok, which aired on GMA TV last 2010. I do not own the characters or the setting. I did not write the whole of TV drama, though, just the love story between the two main characters, Bidam and Deokman. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 580 20
He stood infront of her, she stared him with her glossy eyes, "i wanna ask you for just one more favor, will you do it for me?"Seokjin asked, "wh-wha...
696 135 26
Small bells rang of the door being pushed, which alerted the cashier. "How can I help you?" The cashier asked, a small smile displayed on her lips. "...
31.7K 1K 29
YN~ jungkook-ah I wanna tell you something JK~ hmm go on YN~ actually I have been thinking about it for a while now and I think it's the right time...
65.2K 2.1K 33
"You're my princess and I'm your prince," He said, smiling brightly. "That's cute. But why prince and princess?" I asked out of curiosity. "It's be...