Behind the Mask✔

By SophieOna

What's a family without drama? Jasmine's family is full of it only that her family's drama is a nightmare. H... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
💞New Book Alert 💞
Epilogue
Chit Chat and Reviews

Chapter 13

372 96 12
By SophieOna

      Saying that I like Christmas and New years  vigils  is an understatement. I absolutely love them. So as we prepared to go,  I was over the moon with excitement.

       Mum had asked me to prepare plantain and eggs as a light dinner before we went to church. I suspected she was just hungry because we had a nice dinner of semolina and vegetable soup. The meal was served and surprisingly , everyone finished their meals and after washing the plates, I was getting ready for the vigil.

   "Jasmine, you better be fast. We're leaving this house by nine on the dot." Mum called out from her room.

I checked my time and it was few minutes to eight so I quickly had my bath ,  humming 'Silent night' while at it. I donned a red top and white jeans

Santa's  assistant

I laughed at myself and continued getting ready. Why was I this happy?
Maybe because dad wasn't home or because of mum's birthday tomorrow or the usual Christmas excitement.

I cancelled the last option. This was more than the usual Christmas happiness . Soon we were all ready to go. I was surprised grandma and Aunty Ebere agreed to go in mum's car especially after today's drama.

They don't have car  that's why their pride has come down

I sat upfront with mum in her black Rav4  while grandma and Aunty Ebere sat at the back.

The night wasn't young any more and the sky was now velvet black with the stars here and there up in the sky adorning it's black veil. The sight brought to my mind the song 'Oh holy  night ' and I began to hum to the song.  Everywhere screamed 'Christmas ' as every building from the local canteen to the largest building in our area had Christmas decorations here and there.  Some places had live sized Santa Claus, the sounds of Christmas hymns echoes from different areas. 

    Since our house was void of any decoration, I looked forward to the decorations on the shops, roads, other houses , schools,  different buildings and the Church itself and they never disappointed me.

I looked at mum who was driving,  her gaze fixed on the road with brows furrowed in concentration. Her hair was wrapped up in a red turban and she wore an a-line dress that had red lace for the sleeves. I wondered if the harsh harmattan won't give her chills.

Finally, we were at our church and honestly, the church was beautiful. Christmas lights were intertwined with the shrubs giving them a multi coloured appearance and brightening their green shade. The church premises had tinsels, Christmas lights and various decorations which sparkled in the night and the entire place looked like fairyland. Wreaths were hung on every doorstep and lights wound on the railings of stairs and the pillars of the building.

   All the decorations plus the simple beauty of the night made the already beautiful church more beautiful. It was thirty-five minutes past nine so we still had twenty five minutes before the vigil mass started. However, people were already flooding the church. The voices of the choristers was heard from a distance and they were singing 'Joy to the world ' probably in preparation for the mass.

    As soon as we got down from the car, Clara one of my friends in the church approached us. She greeted everyone and mum responded with a smile while grandma and Aunty Ebere simply nodded.

"Jasmine, how far na? " Clara asked me
"I'm cool.  You? "

"Fine o, see you like father Christmas' assistant. Red and white" she said and we laughed

"Coming from someone wearing a white gown and a Christmas hat "

We both laughed
"Where are the rest?" I asked of our friends Juwon, Faith and Henry

"Faith and Henry have not come. I called Faith like ten minutes ago and she said they're just leaving their house. " Faith and Henry were siblings so we expected both of them
"But Juwon is drumming for the choir"

"Okay, me I'm going to pray before mass starts "

"Hmm, Holy Mary. I've heard o. Me too, let me go and call those my ye yeye   siblings.  Only God knows why I'm the first born " Clara said and walked away while I went into the church.  I genuflected as I entered and went to the Christmas crib where the scene of Jesus' birth was displayed using small statues as Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, Shepherds,  the wise men and the animals.

I stared at the scene before me and thought about so many things. The God we worship came down as man, as a baby. Humility.
If dad was God, would he be this merciful and kind or just as strict. Mum had always tried to let me respect him and make me see that he loved me but it's as if after the incident at school, she even wanted me to hate him. I looked at the statue of Joseph. The man was only a foster father to Jesus yet he loved him and protected him but my father was my father yet he left me vulnerable,  open to abuse.
Maybe he's not my father.  Maybe he just needed a wife and child. Maybe,  maybe or maybe I was really spoilt but I know I didn't deserve rape or abuse.

How did I end up like this? 
From a confident little girl to one who is afraid of her own father. Afraid of boys? 

The scene of Mr Obi's attempt replayed in my head and I cringed. But then, I was thankful I escaped. Only God knew how I felt and how I cried and he heard that cry.  Mr Obi might still be in Dayfort but I had my God to protect me wherever I go. I had him to shield and uplift me. I had him to rescue me.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I admitted what I denied earlier on.
I was scared,  terrified.  What if he tried again?  What if I can't even pray or do anything?

"Eh hem "

I jumped at the sound

"It's okay, it's me "
Juwon. 

Foolish boy.

I turned back and frowned
"Juwon, you scared me"

He laughed "Scared you in a public place "

"Yes "

He tucked his hands into the pockets of his black trousers and stared at me in silence , his Adam's apple moving up and down bumping the dark skin on his neck as he gulped.

I was getting uncomfortable , last time someone looked at me like that........

"Mass will soon start.  I'm going " I said and he frowned

"Mass starts in twenty minutes "

"The more reason I have to go "

"Jasmine. ." He said my name like a whisper

"Juwon, we are in the church. Next to the crib of baby Jesus and you're looking like this. It's not my name that all those CWO women will use to gossip "

He chuckled and got serious
"After Mass "

"What's happening then?" I said and he looked at me like he expected more than that.

I shook my head and walked away.

Juwon? 
Seriously?

I found mum sitting in one of the pews in the middle row. I walked to her and sat in silence

"Where were you? We were standing outside and you just disappeared "

"I'm sorry ma. I was at the crib side "

"Okay, your friend was looking for you "

Which friend?

"Who? "
"Ehm. ... Yinka's son "

Juwon.

"I've seen him "

The boy has mind o.  Asking my mother where I was

"Jasmine, I  hope you're not following boys"

Ehn?  This woman

"No ma "

Remind me to kill Juwon

"Better "

Soon,  the mass started and I began to settle back into my joyful mood. The priest, Fr Gabriel made the mass as lively as he could and that was very lively. Praise and worship was inserted into the homily and I danced off my worries , feeling freedom I hadn't felt in a long while.

The mass ended at fifteen minutes to twelve and immediately it did , I looked at mum "Merry Christmas,  our birthday is in fifteen minutes."

     Mum laughed "Let's go to the Blessed Sacrament and pray. That's a wonderful way to enter another year"

I agreed with her and we left the pew. On our way,  greetings of 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy birthday' met us and mum radiated with happiness. I hadn't seen her this happy in a while. I wished the glow on her face would stay permanently.

   We got to the Blessed Sacrament and prayed till few minutes past twelve and immediately we finished,  I literally jumped on mum

"Happy Birthday mummy"

The day has come!
Excited! Excited

"Thank you my dear"

The church premises was still very full as people stepped outside after the mass and wished themselves 'Merry Christmas'

"Iya Jasmine " a voice said and I know that voice all too well
Mrs Adeola. 

The woman was probably coming to ask for her own birthday cake and Christmas rice.

Mrs Adeola approached us and pushed aside the others greeting mum and I

"Ah!  Iya Jasmine, happy birthday o. Long life and prosperity, may you live to reap the fruit of your labour. Your hardwork will never be in vain o. May you celebrate more birthdays oooo "

"Amen ma " mum replied, slightly bending her knee
I tuned out the noise around me and scanned the crowd for Clara or Faith. I saw both of them standing with Juwon and I decided not to go to them.  After Juwon's display , I didn't think I could stay in the same space with him. At least not for now, so I decided to go to the car and wait. Then I remembered grandma and Aunty Ebere and I sighed. So I decided to just flow with the greeting.  You never know, free cash can just enter your hand.

After about twenty minutes, mum was able to make it out of the crowd that enveloped her and sang birthday songs to her

"Let's take pictures at the crib before going" I suggested to mum and she agreed.  We went to the crib side inside  the church and took selfies and got Faith to take us some pictures.
After the pictures, on our way out of the church we met Fr Gabriel just leaving some parishioners who engaged him in a conversation

"Mrs Okoli and baby Okoli " Fr Gabriel greeted us
"Good morning father " mum and I said

"Happy birthday ma."

"Thank you father"

"Jasmine, I hope you're going to treat your mum to a nice birthday party " Fr Gabriel said , laughing

If only he knew

"Yes father"

"Okay o, I will ask her o "
"Yes father " I  said and laughed. I liked Fr Gabriel for his jovial spirit and sense of humour that  never failed. His ability to make someone laugh was out of this world

"Where is your husband?" He asked mum

"He had a business emergency so  he travelled"

Fr Gabriel furrowed his thick brows in a frown "During Christmas period? "

I didn't find it surprising that he was concerned.  This was the first time dad had missed Christmas vigil in our church and everyone we met had asked the same question but to me, it was the best Christmas ever.

We went back outside and mum scanned the crowd
"Where's Ebere and Mama? "

"I don't know o.  Let's go check where we parked "

Mum shook her head "I can see it from here.  They're not there.  Let me call them "

Mum brought out her phone and removed it from silence mode then smiled

"Eleven missed calls. Seven text messages.  Uncountable WhatsApp messages " she said and we laughed.

"It's your birthday.  What do you expect? "

Mum simply smiled and called Aunty Ebere
"Ebere, where are you? ".......... "Okay, come and meet us where we parked.  We're ready to leave" . Mum ended the call
"Let's go "

I felt guilty for not saying goodbye to Faith and Clara and I didn't even see Henry.

Mum's good friend in the church, and woman named Mummy Gina came towards us and began gisting with mum as we walked. Coincidentally, her family parked their car beside us and they were waiting for her . Mummy Gina was actually a good friend to mum and their friendship was beyond the church relationship.  They were actually quite close.

    Surprisingly, the ride home was pleasant and Aunty Ebere and grandma even wished mum 'Happy birthday '. When we got home, mum advised me to rest since we would be up early to prepare the  jollof rice mum would be taking to her parents later today.

I took that advise and rested. When it was time,  we prepared the meal and left some in the pot for grandma and Aunty Ebere then we both went to shower and get dressed.

Mum wore a navy blue  floral jumpsuit with silver stilettos and her hair was side swept,  with dropping diamond earrings.  Her makeup was perfect and when I saw her,  I shouted

"Hot, hot, hot !"

Mum laughed "Silly girl"

"Mum, no I need to take a picture. You know we look like twins "

Mum and I agreed to wear jumpsuits. Hers was navy blue while mine was black and both had floral designs.
We took selfies and took full pictures of each other

We met Aunty Ebere and grandma downstairs watching television

Sad Christmas

"Are you people going out? " grandma asked

No, we dressed up to come and stay with you

"Yes ma" mum replied "There's rice in the pot for the both of you and some drinks in the fridge"

"When will you be back? "

"This evening "

Grandma sighed "So we will eat rice and drinks until you come back okwa ya? "

Mum sighed "Mama, Ebere can always prepare something for you both to eat "

"Ehn! " Aunty Ebere screamed "Ebere should do what?  Cook food and keep for us. You're calling Ebere"

Mum looked at her angrily "Then go hungry for all I care. Jasmine, go and get the cooler of rice and the drinks in the basket, let's leave here "

I obeyed mum while grandma and Aunty Ebere began to shout and we simply ignored them and left.

       When we got to my grandparents' house, I was very happy but to my dissapointment , none of the cars of my uncles or aunts were present just the car of my grandparents which meant that no one had arrived.  How would the surprise hold then?

"Why is no one here yet? " mum said as she drove in
"Maybe they're stuck in traffic " I  said
"Okay "

We went into the house and found my grandparents together talking and I ran to them

"Omote"  grandma shouted and laughed as soon as I jumped into her arms

"Digwo ma , Digwo sir " I greeted my grandparents in their native language and grandpa smiled "Vrendo my dear, look how big you are now " grandpa teased

"Exactly! " grandma said after responding to mum's greeting "Both mother and daughter are quite big " grandma said and smiled at mum's protruding belly and we all laughed.
My maternal grandparents were the best at brightening up a place especially with their vibrant spirits.  Grandma was the black beauty , dark and plump while grandpa was the fair one.

"Mummy,  stop it " mum said and we laughed
"Where's everyone? " mum asked and grandma's face changed
"They won't be coming o "

"Why?"

"Ehm,  Steven said his wife just came down with something,  Laura and her family went to see her husband's parents . Chris said he met serious traffic and had to turn back. While Anne and Felix said they're attending to emergencies and have to work from home."

Mum frowned deeply "They all called me earlier and said none of this."
I  felt sorry for mum and disappointed myself.  I had looked forward to seeing my cousins.

"Mabel, dear things happen " grandpa said

"Ose, not this kind of things " mum said

"It's okay, just go and drop your cooler in the kitchen and please serve some of that your rice. I've missed your jollof " grandma said and mum stood up and I followed suit
"Sit down.  The maid is there if she needs assistance " grandma said and immediately mum entered the kitchen , grandpa and grandma smiled and grandpa whistled.

Imagine my shock when mum's siblings came down the stairs with their families behind them each of them bearing a gift except Uncle Chris and Aunty Anne who had cakes.

I didn't see this coming! 

"Oh my God! " I said and grandma and grandpa laughed and the three of us stood to join them and Aunty Anne handed me the cake she was holding.

They didn't tell me about this one o!

I collected the cake and when the kitchen door opened and mum came out, we all yelled

'Surpriiise! '

------------------------

Yes, it's long but just bear with me

Digwo is a way of greeting in Isoko language of Delta state and Vrendo is the response.

So, do we like Juwon?  Who likes Christmas like I do?
Who saw the surprise coming that way?

Don't forget to vote,  comment and share.
Thanks for reading.  God bless y'all
😙😙😙😙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.5K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...
17.7K 812 46
Their favourite cocktail? One part betrayal mixed with bloodshed, One part secrets, half-part death with a splash of love....on rocks. "My Sisters wa...
50.6K 5.9K 55
*** Why are you still here Mr Wellington?" I asked as I clutched my bathrobe to cover my body well. I don't want the scenario of my bathrobe falling...
109K 14.1K 104
Everyone has that one life changing moment, That moment defines you. It shapes who you are as a person, and pushes you down the path that leads to th...