DIVISION 52 - BOOK I

By Skyler_Wilde

In the distant future there are two powers that control Merridian city. The first: A dictatorship known as th... More

CHAPTER I
CHAPTER II
CHAPTER III
CHAPTER IV
CHAPTER V
CHAPTER VI
CHAPTER VII
CHAPTER VIII
CHAPTER IX
CHAPTER X
CHAPTER XI
CHAPTER XII
CHAPTER XIII
CHAPTER XIV
CHAPTER XV
CHAPTER XVI
CHAPTER XVII
CHAPTER XVIII
CHAPTER XIX
CHAPTER XX
CHAPTER XXI
CHAPTER XXII
CHAPTER XXIII
CHAPTER XXIV
CHAPTER XXV
CHAPTER XXVI
CHAPTER XVII
CHAPTER XVIII
CHAPTER XXIX
CHAPTER XXX
CHAPTER XXXI
CHAPTER XXXII
CHAPTER XXXIII
CHAPTER XXXIV
CHAPTER XXXV
CHAPTER XXXVI
CHAPTER XXXVII
CHAPTER XXXVIII
CHAPTER XXXIX
CHAPTER XL
CHAPTER XLI
CHAPTER XLII
CHAPTER XLIII
CHAPTER XLIV
CHAPTER XLV
CHAPTER XLVI
CHAPTER XLVII
CHAPTER XLVIII
CHAPTER XLIX
CHAPTER L
CHAPTER LI
CHAPTER LII
CHAPTER LIV
CHAPTER LV
CHAPTER LVI
CHAPTER LVII
CHAPTER LVIII
CHAPTER LIX
CHAPTER LX
CHAPTER LXI
CHAPTER LXII
CHAPTER LXIII
CHAPTER LXIV
CHAPTER LXV
CHAPTER LXVI
ADDENDUM

CHAPTER LIII

5.8K 381 82
By Skyler_Wilde

"There is beauty in truth, even if it's painful.
Those who lie, twist life so that it looks tasty to the lazy,
brilliant to the ignorant, and powerful to the weak.
But lies only strengthen our defects."

― José N. Harris

– M A K A Y L A –

My legs shook as they carried me to my bedroom.

Even with the Januk running in my blood I had enough sense to know I had made a terrible mistake. It had been barely three days since my capture on that roof and I was making even worse decisions than before.

What was Alex doing with this time. She wasn't drinking in an Imperial lounge with another upper class citizen. She would be doing everything in her power and more to get me back. What the hell was I doing?

Of course it would be a suicide mission to try and break into this tower. My father had swarms of Imperial units. Unbreakable security features. His own private cyber security teams... Alex knew all this and yet she would still attempt it. For me.

I cursed and wanted to hit something. To rage, to curse my pitiful–

I caught sight of my fencing sword in its rare leather sheath propped against the long glass wall. The very sword that had carried me through countless competitions and seated me as the top competitor in all Sectors from 10 to 1. It never interested my father of course, but the social functions did.

I swiped it from the glass and pulled it from the brown sheath slowly. It glinted wickedly in the light. I'd have Matty to thank for its upkeep all this time but I normally took close care and attention of the blade. It was a labour of love–some of the only labour I could ever do myself around here.

I lay the sheath down and rolled my wrist a few times letting it slice the air. It was a beautiful Sabre. Intricately detailed. A fine steel with engravings of the galaxy itself along the blade and a silver and gold woven hilt.

I struck forward and lunged my leg out in precision and balance. I knew the weight of the weapon exactly. A pure extension of myself. I shifted my weight and twisted to counter an invisible attack. Another pivot and I parried and twisted the assailant's sword away and caught a thigh as the slice continued.

I took a calm breath and began an aggressive routine. I cut and clashed air faster. Ducked and disarmed with more power, more accuracy than ever before. My body had a balance Sector 1 had not taught me. It had a lithe and quick lethality that others had given me...

When my breaths became ragged I sheathed it in place and sat on the floor before the endless city stretching out in the night. I placed a palm against the glass and leaned my forehead against it.

"Alex..." I whispered.

Where ever she was. Whether it was restless in her own bed or dragging the life from someone's eyes... she was mine and I was hers. I knew that meant something was fundamentally wrong with me. Falling in love with someone like Velron–that was sane–that made sense in my position. It made sense. Sense.

I needed to keep her safe, keep her from my world. From those who would fight so hard in this tower to keep the power running strong. The thought kept rolling around in my mind. Kept taking different shapes and solidifying again.

What if she were to think I had chosen him. It might just be the one thing that would make her keep away from this Sector for good–from my life. If she were to think I had moved on with someone like me... I bit my tongue hard thinking of it.

She always told me she left choices to me. To make my own decision about staying out in the Underworld with her–what choice did I offer her now? I couldn't do that it would kill me. But not doing it may well get her killed before my eyes or before the gun of another hundred Imperial guards.

I watched a steady stream of fusion crafts dart in high lines between the towers. Remembering with a smile. When a bright flash moved and I was pulled from my own. The way my guards had been powerless to her demands... she would be a lot more creative this time. That was nothing compared to what Alex was capable of.

Then the thought hit me. The encrypted line Proximo had burned into my memory.

Emergencies only. He had growled as I nodded cautiously. Instead of us always running off to chase her Imperial highness, maybe she could try contacting us and saving time. He had smirked to me and stalked off.

I stared at my wrist holo. Its blue glow begging me to make the call. To contact Proximo's secure line and just ask... just ask how she is. If she's okay, if he is–is everything–

135-525-006-52.

The numbers were input before I could think my words through. My thoughts.

"Yes?" A familiar low voice demanded.

I couldn't speak. I couldn't respond to the man that had trained me for months, shared his knowledge and guarded my back like his own.

"Who is this. Are you compromised?" He cut through the silence with business-like efficiency. But I still could not– "This call will be traced for security breech–"

"It's me."

Silence again. The line froze as did the air around me.

"Makayla Xavier. What a surprise." He said slowly like we had spoke minutes ago.

I swallowed. "Do you have time?"

"For you, yes. Are you injured?"

"No."

"Did they extract information?"

"No."

"Then it is a pleasant surprise." He summarised.

Despite everything I laughed. Still the same stoic psychopath I cherished.

"Are you okay?" He knew I meant more than that. So he counted his words as usual before speaking.

"Preparations are being made. Along with revelations..." He trailed off for me waiting to fill a space I did not know how to fill.

"I don't follow–"

"No need." He decided, interrupting me. "Whether the knowledge is yours or not our priority remains to be getting you out. I cannot tell you when that will be. We cannot risk that information falling into the wrong hands."

"So it took three days for you not to trust me?"

"I trust no one, Makayla. It's what makes me so good at what I do."

I couldn't fault him there. I had no more circles to go in with him.

"When you speak to Alex." I began and took a breath.

"Yes?"

"Tell her not to take any chances. Tell her I would tell her not to come–not to do this if it would change her mind. I know it won't. I can only say that my father has more power than most realise and most is kept below the surface. He is deceptive. Be careful. I love her too much–" I took a steadying breath. "You get the idea."

"Is that all?"

I smiled as a trail of salt left my eye glistening. At Proximo's easy tone as if we spoke of nothing more than tomorrow's menu rather than... I sighed.

"Keep her alive. And yourself while you're at it."

"Yes, ma'am." He stated flatly.

The line went dead. I lowered my wrist slowly and gazed back out at the city lights. It felt like another set of eyes gazed back.

–  S C O R P I O N  –

My mind was starting to fog. Sleep deprivation was beginning to take hold of my body. The past days of betrayal, loss and chaos... I needed a few hours of rest. I closed the many holo feeds in the dim, large lounge area.

I moved towards the large L-shaped sofa. The very same Makayla had fallen asleep on. Wrapped in my cloak and my arms... I let my fingers brush the back of it as I walked past.

But before I let sleep claim me I needed the feel of water on my skin. Lose myself to it for only a moment. I was out of my clothes before I entered the bathroom. The cool marble greeted my bare feet as I padded towards the glass wall.

The moment I was below it water cascaded down in a torrential rain around me. I let the warmth continue for seconds before I touched the temperature pad and it dropped colder. I breathed in deeply around the droplets rushing past my lips.

It coated every part of me, every scar, every blade, burn, bullet... The same way her lips had run along my skin. Passed and brushed over my scars. She saw every one and kissed the space where blades had touched. Not imperfections in her eyes but just a part of me she accepted. Along with everything else.

I took another breath and ran my hands through my dark hair. I thought of those crystalline blue eyes. The way they watched me. Trusted and occasionally darkened only for me. I had held her close to me so many times. Felt the consuming heat between us. I placed my palm to the fogged glass wall and watched the steam race past it.

I would give everything to feel her in my arms again.

When we had our way in. When Proximo slipped us in amongst the aristocracy–with new faces and identities...  I would give everything to get her back. Nothing will stand between that.
No one.

When the cool water started seeping into my bones I shut it off. The tattoos running down my arm were an intricate and stark contrast against my skin. I dried myself briefly before striding back into the lounge.

What I didn't expect was my wrist holo flashing a pale blue. I glared at it. Instead of answering I walked across the room and pulled on some sweats and a black t-shirt. The blue glow continued to light the room before dimming.

I swiped it off the low table and attached it to my wrist.

"Speak."

"You missed a call." Proximo said dryly.

"I'm about to hang up on one too." I snapped.

"Makayla Xavier commed my encrypted line."

My body went rigid. Makayla. Nothing, no word, no mention of what they had done to her and now–

"She–wh–is she alright?" I demanded through the mass of thoughts flooding me. I paced the floor now, sleep was suddenly a lesser need.

"Yes. It appears they did not interrogate or harm her in any way. Curious indeed." He murmured the last part darkly.

"I have no patience for more doubts. So spare me the suspicious overtones. The mission remains the same–"

"I am merely reminding you that we do not know all about Miss Xavier–"

"I am telling you, Proximo. This is not our current concern."

He paused and silence filled the air. I tightened my fist and resisted the urge to storm into whatever room of this safe house he lurked in behind a screen with too many ideas.

"Very well. You may continue to overlook these frequent discrepancies but for your own good I will not."

"Sounds like you're doing your job." I uttered, dropping my irritation towards him. Logically speaking, he was.

He snorted. "I should also let you know that the Imperials have a charity gala scheduled for the end of the week. The most prominent names in Merridian will be in attendance." He told me through a grin.

That was interesting... "I did not know charity was in the Emperor's vocabulary."

"It is when he is trying to sway new trading partners onto the floor. I am positively excited by the prospect."

I smiled as I slowed my pace and took a seat on the sofa. "As am I. Who shall we attend as?"

"I have seven political figures shortlisted. All of which reside outside of Merridian. They will be easy to make disappear without noise in the city."

"I imagine your faceless designer will be demanding a higher price?"

"Let me negotiate with him on that."

"And your sister?" I grit out. "Is she in agreement?"

"She will do the job." He said curtly.

I nodded to myself. "Charity gala it is. I do hope the entire Imperial family will be in attendance. I'd hate to miss another chance to soak Makayla in champagne."

Proximo chuckled. "I'm sure that can be arranged. Although we won't be able to pull in the numbers we had last time. This is a stealth job after all..."

"No waiters." I agreed. "Is that all?"

"Oh, well her Imperial majesty did of course order me to tell you that she loves you too much." He drawled out the last part like it was a totally foreign concept. "Her other words were just cautions against attempting what we are doing which I'm sure you'll ignore as much as I did."

But I was grinning wider than ever hearing it come from his mouth from her. I shook my head and couldn't shake the warmth that had burned through my chest at such a small gesture.

"I do appreciate the lengths you go to as my second." I got out still smiling.

A grunt sounded on the other end. 

"Let's not make that a habit. I have already traced the comm ID it came from–tell her yourself."

It took me a few seconds to process this. Before I cleared my throat. "Send it through. I will deal with her Imperial majesty before the week ends. In the mean time we need to be outfitted politically and have irises to match. Can you insure–"

"Consider it all done." He told me calmly. "Speak with Makayla."

"Thank you, Proximo." I said simply, before ending the comm completely.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 518 43
Completed 04/11/23 [CHAPTERS ARE SCHEDULED FOR EVERY SATURDAY 10AM UK] Harley Bennett thought she had the perfect life, stable job and a loving boyf...
1M 42.5K 47
Aerilyn and her brother were just looking for somewhere to hide from those who wanted to destroy humans and use them for their blood. By running from...
63.3K 1.4K 22
Aria Phoenix, a girl who is not afraid to kill and or to be killed; a girl who don't trust people easily; a girl from the most respected family betwe...
331 55 16
Pretie Panton, princess of Aecora and sole heir of the Panton bloodline, does not want to marry - at least, not the prince her father has arranged fo...