HUMBLE BEGINNINGS || T. SHELB...

By AMRivers

Tabitha Hearn is a young gypsy woman whose father leads the Hearn Clan. With her father's bad health and moth... More

CAST (EDITED)
ACT ONE
ONE (EDITED)
TWO (EDITED)
THREE (EDITED)
FOUR (EDITED)
FIVE (EDITED)
SIX (EDITED)
SEVEN (EDITED)
EIGHT (EDITED)
NINE (EDITED)
TEN (EDITED)
ELEVEN (EDITED)
TWELVE (EDITED)
THIRTEEN (EDITED)
FOURTEEN (EDITED)
FIFTEEN (EDITED)
SIXTEEN (EDITED)
SEVENTEEN (EDITED)
EIGHTEEN (EDITED)
NINTEEN (EDITED)
TWENTY (EDITED)
TWENTY-ONE (EDITED)
ACT TWO
TWENTY-TWO (EDITED)
TWENTY-THREE (EDITED)
TWENTY-FOUR (EDITED)
TWENTY-FIVE (EDITED)
TWENTY-SIX (EDITED)
TWENTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
TWENTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
THIRTY (EDITED)
THIRTY-ONE (EDITED)
THIRTY-TWO (EDITED)
THIRTY-THREE (EDITED)
THIRTY-FOUR (EDITED)
THIRTY-FIVE (EDITED)
THIRTY-SIX (EDITED)

TWENTY-NINE (EDITED)

17.6K 532 91
By AMRivers

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: Work to Be Done

A DAY HAD GONE BY SINCE THE REOPENING OF THE GARRISON, SINCE TABITHA AND THOMAS DECIDED TO HAVE A CHILD.

The new alliance with Alfie Solomons was in affect, as well getting instructions by Winston Churchill and Inspector Campbell. They began looking for a man or two to go into jail for illegal gambling so their copper could meet a quota for convictions.

Tabitha had been glowing since the night her and Thomas decided to have a child in the kitchen. Thomas was happy as well, laying in bed that night rubbing his wife's belly, knowing their child would be growing in it. They were gonna wait until things dialed down in Small Heath to tell the family about trying to have a child with everything going on with the company.

Thomas went to the Garrison with his brothers that morning interview men to help the coppers with the convictions. Tabitha went along with them, since she was a part of the company and was in the same boat as Thomas with Inspector Campbell. Both of them, with Arthur and John, sat in the new private snug, interviewing several people, who walked in and out, all of them mainly criminals. Some of them looked at Tabitha the wrong way, like she was a piece of meat. Thomas noticed and immediately made them leave and threatened to rip their eyes out.

Then a young man came into the snug with short brown hair and matching eyes, looking like a mommas boy.

"Alright then, name?" Tabitha asked.

"Digbeth kid," the young man answered.

"The Dig...what are you? A boxer?" Arthur asked amused, looking up from his newspaper.

"Digbeth Kid like Billy the Kid."

"Spend a lot of time at the pictures, eh?" Thomas asked, a lot cigarette between his fingers. "Cowboy pictures? Tom Mix? Yeah?"

The young man nodded and then reached into his coat, revealing him grabbing a gun from his holster. It made Arthur and and John immediately pull out their guns as Thomas made sure Tabitha was out of the way.

"Wait, wait. It's not a real gun," Digbeth Kid said.

"Let's have a look then, eh," Thomas said getting up.

"It's made of wood."

Thomas grabbed the gun from the man's holster and analyzed it, chuckling. He held it up and him and his brother were making gun noises like they were children. It made Tabitha giggle, and Thomas smiled at the sound with his cigarette hanging from his lips.

"Very nice. Where did you get the gun belt?" Thomas asked, sitting back down in his chair.

"My sister made it, out of an old blacksmith's apron. My mum did most of the stitching. She's not my real mum, but..."

"She does what mothers do. So she made you a gunbelt," Tabitha finished, giving a faint smile.

"Yes, ma'am," the kid said, nodding his head at the woman.

"My mum does that when my father's belts get old and torn. Made one for my brother as well."

"Alright there mother's boy. There's the door," Arthur said, looking down at his newspaper. "On you go. We're looking for..."

Thomas held his hand up to his bother, cutting him off.

"Have you ever been arrested?" Thomas asked.

"Yeah," the kid answered hesitant.

"Yeah?"

Then he shook his head, "no."

"Good. You're the first bloke we've had in her today with no criminal record," Thomas stated. "Arthur, we can stand him up. Do you know what it means? The new Home Secretary wants something done about illegal gambling."

"Damn right," John said, slamming his hand on the table.

"About bloody time," Arthur said.

"So we help our coppers make their quota of convictions by having men stood up to be arrested," Thomas explained to the kid. "First offence, you'll get a week inside. We'll give you five quid for your trouble. How does that sound, cowboy?"

"Yeah," the kids nodded, giving a small smile.

"Good. Write your address down for Finn on your way out."

That's when the kid's smiled faded. "I can't write."

"That's alright, Finn can't read," John said.

"No matter how hard you try," Tabitha sighed, making John snicker. "I tried to teach him, but..."

"Don't worry," Arthur told the kid.

"Just tell him your address and we'll send someone 'round," Thomas said.

"If...The sheriff don't run you out of town first," John said, pointing at the kid.

"Good man."

The kid then left, and Arthur looked back down at his newspaper.

"Oh, I don't know, Tom. Kids these days," Arthur said with doubt.

"Hmm," Thomas hummed, looking down at his newspaper with one hand while the other was on Tabitha's knee. "They didn't fight. So they're different. They stay kids."

After the interviews were over, Thomas and Tabitha, along with Arthur and John went down Watery Lane. The entire way, Arthur and John were joking around with their guns and with the name Digbeth Kid, acting like children. The couple chuckled at the two, holding hands as they walked together.

"Run for the hills! It's the Digbeth Kid!" Arthur shouted as him and John ran inside the Shelby home.

They ran into the kitchen as John shouted, "get out or I will shoot your fucking head off!!!!"

"Times up! Pew!"

John lowered his gun when he realized Polly was with a young male visitor. Thomas and Tabitha walked in when Arthur lowered his gun after seeing the young man. Tabitha smiled happily with Thomas' arm around her shoulder as they looked at Polly and the lad.

"All right then, Polly. Who's this?" Arthur asked.

"Gentlemen, this is your cousin," Thomas said. "Polly's son, Michael."

Michael proceeded to shake Arthur's hand, and then shook John's hand.

"Pleased to meet you," Michael said to both brothers.

"John."

"I'm Arthur, we've already met," Arthur said. "I use to throw you out of the window, so John could catch you."

"Now I'm definitely not leaving those two alone with our children," Tabitha mumbled, making Thomas chuckle.

"I used to put you in a shoebox and kick you down Watery Lane," John said.

"I bet you're glad to be back," Thomas said, making Michael turn around to face him and Tabitha.

Michael laughed, "I don't remember any of it. All I remember is the day they took me away."

"Well, you're here now," Tabitha said with bright smile. She reached her hand out, shaking Michael's hand. "I'm Tabitha, but everyone calls me Tabby. I didn't want us to first meet they way it did, but I'm glad to do it officially."

And just like most men, Michael was enamored by Tabitha's beauty and voice.

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Tabby, " Michael replied worth a smile before the handshake broke.

"Welcome to the Shelby family," Thomas said, putting his hand on Michael's shoulder as Tabitha returned to Thomas' side.

"Later on, we'll show you the ropes," Arthur said, hands in his trouser pockets.

"Yeah, we'll show you what's what," John agreed.

"Leave him, be for now, eh?" Thomas said, knowing Polly was uncomfortable. "Come on, Tab, boys."

Thomas held Tabitha's hand in his again as Arthur and John walked out behind them. Michael kept his eyes on Tabitha's back as they walked out, a faint smile on his lips.

"They seem nice," he said to Polly. "Especially Miss Tabby. She's pretty."

"Tabitha is a good woman, but you better not to too far," Polly replied. "She's Tommy's wife. He lets every man know it, while she every woman know too."

"Oh... " Michael said, his smile fading. "I understand."

___________________________

A COUPLE DAYS LATER, THOMAS AND TABITHA WERE IN CAMDEN TOWN WITH A BRIGADE OF A HUNDRED MEN, LED BY BILLY KITCHEN DUE TO THOMAS.

They were all going to work with Alfie Solomons in his bakery, which was just a cover up for the distillery. Tabitha was excited to see Alfie again and threw her arms around him when they saw each other. Alfie commented that she got more gorgeous every time he saw her, and Thomas felt jealousy book in his blood they way Alfie squeezed Tabitha's cheeks.

After all of Thomas' men were given aprons, they all gathered in organized rows down at the warehouse. Thomas stood up to address them all while Tabitha say in a chair away from them with Alfie standing beside her to keep her company.

"Alright, boys, you've now all been enrolled as bakers in the Aerated Bread Company of Camden Town," Thomas spoke up, walking back and forth. "If anyone asks, that's what you do. You're bakers. The coppers in Camden Town are on our side, but north or south, you show them a piece of paper. Tell them you've come down from north to find work, to break strikes. Tell them you're fascists of you have to. We're finding lodging for you but for now, you'll sleep her in the bakery. Don't touch any of the bread, it'll most likely explode."

Thomas then stopped walking and stood in front of them all.

"Any questions?"

A man, Buddy Halls, then raised his hand.

"Yes?" Thomas asked.

"I haven't even seen any bread," Buddy said, making the other men laugh.

Thomas cleared his throat, looking at Alfie, who had his arms crossed. Alfie left Tabitha's side with his arms still crossed, but with a brown cane in his hand. He walked up to the men, looking at the ground in silence and Thomas went to sit down beside Tabitha. One hand held his cigarette while the other rested on his wife's knee.

Alfie slowly approached Buddy Halls, still looking down and staying silent. Then the next second, Alfie whipped his can down on the man beside Buddy, sending the man down to the ground unconscious. Tabitha jumped, even though she saw it coming, and Thomas gentle girl on her knee became a little firmer to comfort her. Alfie looked back at Buddy with a unreadable expression, and the cane lightly tapped Buddy's shoulder

"He'll wake up. Granted he won't have any teeth left, but he'll be a wider man for it," Alfie said. "And the last thing he will remember is your funny little joke. Won't he?"

Buddy stated silent.

"Right!"

Alfie screamed, making Tabitha's eyes flinch from how loud he was. It was almost the same as when Alfie and Theo would scare her and prank her when she was a little girl.

"There are fucking rules here, yeah? There are fucking rules for a fucking reason. Quite simply they have to be obeyed. Alright?" Alfie started, walking around. "Rule number one. The distinction between bread and rum, that is not discussed!"

He made his way back to the front.

"Rule number two. Anything, right, that your officer says to you or any other of your other fucking superior officers say to you, yeah? Not discussed!" He yelled once more, getting closer to the men.

"The number three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine. I don't care...for the rest of your fucking miserable, measly lived, yeah? Because I, like you, an also a complete fucking sodomite. Jewish women. You do not go anywhere near them because Jewish women for you are off the fucking menu." Then he pointed at Tabitha sitting in her chair. "Also, if I even hear that young lady's name fall from any of your mouths, I'll beat you to a fucking pulp. I think that's all fair."

Alfie put his arm back down as Thomas' wrapped his around Tabitha's small shoulders as Alfie and Billy Kitchen looked at each other, challenging the other. A couple seconds later, Billy looked away and Alfie turned to Thomas and Tabitha, who were standing up at that point.

"Alright, that's it then," Alfie said to Thomas. "Forgive me, I interrupted you."

Alfie then walked to Tabitha's side while Thomas walked back up.

"Pick him up," Thomas said to them, nodding towards the unconscious man.

Buddy and the two men beside him picked the man up. Thomas then whispered in Billy Kitchen's ear, but not loud shot for Tabitha to hear. Billy then turned to the men.

"Don't fucking wait! You better be fucking soldiers," Billy yelled. He pushed all of the men out of the warehouse, who scurried away like rats.

The room cleared, leaving Thomas, Tabitha and Alfie. Tabitha joined her husband's side, and he lit them both a cigarette.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 4.3K 65
On a train arrives a young woman. She's naive, she's kind, she's everything the city begs her not to be. When she meets Thomas Shelby, he is unlike a...
27.5K 789 41
❝And I love you; for that, I vow that my absence will plague you for the rest of your cursed days. ❞ Tommy Shelby x female!oc Peaky Blinders season t...
26.5K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? π—Ώπ—²π˜€π˜‚π—Ώπ—Ώπ—²π—°π˜π—Άπ—Όπ—» peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
883K 25.2K 41
Lily Adler was a girl with looking for answers. Stumbling into Small Heath to find the one woman that could help her she meets a Thomas Shelby. Will...