FOURTEEN (EDITED)

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Invitations

TWO DAYS LATER, JOHN WAS IN THE SHELBY GARAGE CLEANING THE FAMILY CAR.

He intended to marry the prostitute Lizzie Stark and take her out to the country to celebrate the license from Kimber. John's family was against him marrying Lizzie, but Tabitha believed the prostitute loved John and the kids needed a mother to take care of them.

Tabitha wasn't able to take care of them 24/7 between watching Finn and helping John with the books. John thanked God for a sister in-law like Tabitha because she helped with anything the family needed done.

Thomas had spoken to Lizzie Stark that afternoon, offering her money to see if she took it or not. Just as Thomas thought, Lizzie took it. Before and after the war, the Blinder leader and the prostitute got together when he was blue. The meetings stopped when Thomas married Tabitha because, even though he didn't want to admit to Tabitha or himself, he fell in love love with Tabitha the moment they met. He just didn't know it at first, it was on of those rare times where it was love at first sight.

After talking to Lizzie, Thomas walked into the garage, seeing his little brother John cleaning up the family car. It was going to be hard to tell his brother, it he had to know. Lizzie said yes, which meant she didn't truly love John. And when Lizzie was in that car, Thomas wasn't attracted her at all. Tabitha had truly ruined all other women for him.

"Tommy, I need a favor," John started, noticing his older brothers presence. "I want to borrow the car. I want to take Lizzie for a ride in the country with the kids. We're gonna celebrate getting the license."

"Not a problem, John," Thomas replied, before deciding that he need to say something else. "Look, John, you're my brother. There's something I have to tell you."

Thomas took a deep breath in response, and John stood there waiting for him to continue.

"Yesterday, on the front seat of that car, I offered Lizzie some money," Thomas started. "And John? She said yes."

John was taken back, shocked that Thomas would do such a thing to his younger brother. Then John kept on scrubbing.

"You do with it what you want. Take the keys. Take Lizzie to the country. Marry her if you want. But you have to know..." Thomas trailed off. " ...she said yes."

Without a word, John snatched the keys from Thomas and made his way to the drivers seat. He opened the door and then paused for a moment, his head hanging low as he was lost in thought. The car door slammed shut, and John threw the keys back at his brother before storming out of the garage.

________________________________

TABITHA HAD BEEN HANGING AROUND GRACE FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS.