NINE (EDITED)

CHAPTER NINE: Already Broken

POLLY FOUND OUT ADA WAS PREGNANT THE NEXT DAY.

Tabitha knew and didn't tell anyone She also knew that Polly was going to tell Thomas, and it wasn't going to be good. She took Ada to the pictures the next day while Polly told the news, to avoid Thomas. Ada was five weeks late and began eating more than she normally did. Her chest was bigger too, showing most signs of pregnancy.

That night, the betting shop was closed as Thomas sat and drank a glass of whiskey after you ring up the best made in Monaghan Boy. It was the horses first race, and it lost just like Thomas planned. He was going over the fact that Freddie Thorne, his ex best friend, was the father of his little sister's baby. He sat their for awhile, and then Tabitha and Polly walked in right after Tabitha told her about the pictures.

"So Monaghan Boy lost," Tabitha said, sitting down across Thomas. Polly out down her hat and purse and stood beside the woman.

"Third time unlucky," Thomas said, resting his chia on his interlocked fingers. "We took money from all over the city."

"Yeah, but you'll pay it back to people 'round her," Polly told him. "Buy your popularity back,"

"Already done."

"Taught you well. And you fixed this race without the permission of Billy Kimber?"

As Thomas went to take another sip, Polly snatched the glass and threw it until it broke. The sound of glass shattering made Tabitha flinch, but she stayed quiet.

"Obviously didn't teach you well enough!" Polly yelled. "Rule one. You don't punch above your weight."

"Billy Kimber is there for the taking," Thomas said

"Says who? Says Tom and his parliament of one. I ran this business for five years."

"Yeah. While I as away fighting, remember? Where I learned such things such as you strike when the enemy is week."

Thomas then got up from his chair, facing away from Polly and Tabitha.

"And I thought you came here to talk family business," he said

"We'll deal with it," Polly said, meaning her and Tabitha. Then she motioned for Tabitha to get up and walk with her out of the room."You're too busy taking over the world."

"Polly. If it's about Ada. I need to know."

"Ada wants you to give Freddie this letter," Tabitha said, pulling out a letter from her purse. Then she placed it on the other side of the table for Thomas to take. "She wants Freddie to know she's having his baby."

"He deserves an opportunity to do the right thing. I say we give him a chance," Polly said as both women walked over to Thomas.

He looked down at the letter, seeing the name Freddie Thorne written on it.