ELEVEN (EDITED)

CHAPTER ELEVEN: A Horrible Plan

IT WAS THE DAY OF CHELTENHAM.

Tabitha was excited because her and Grace went dress shopping the day before and We're gonna wear the dresses they bought. Grace bought a nice blue dress while Tabitha bought a red one she had been eyeing for awhile. Before They met up to go shopping, Thomas pulled her aside for a moment, asking if she wanted to earn a little money to do him a favor. It wasn't a favor of perversion, nothing like that because he didn't want to do that to Tabitha. He cared about her, even though he didn't admit it from Arthur and John's razzing.

Tabitha three her new blue dress on, and her curls cascaded down her shoulders. Thomas pulled on one of his nice tweed suits, helping show his shoulder blades and slim figure.

"Well, how do I look?" Tabitha asked, making Thomas turn around.

His eyes widened a little, looking her up and down in the dress. In them, Tabitha looked like the most beautiful woman in the world. Thomas just looking at her made her cheeks turn light pink.

"You look good," Thomas said, making Tabitha faintly smile. Then he mumbled low enough so she didn't hear. "Beautiful."

Thomas and Tabitha picked Grace up in front the Garrison and made their way to Cheltenham. Tabitha sat in the back with the Irish barmaid to keep her company and talk to her. They talked the entire drive, Thomas glancing in the mirror every time They started laughing. Out of the corner, he saw Grace place her hand over Tabitha's. The way the barmaid looked at the brunette made him feel something was off.

They made it to Cheltenham, but Thomas took Tabitha and Grace through the back entrance through several doors and hallways. It made Tabitha raise a brow as they walked through the back room where the competitors were getting in and out of their gear.

"Are we allowed to go in through here?" Tabitha questioned as Thomas continued to lead her and Grace around. His hand was placed on the small of her back, causing heat to radiate through her entire body.

"I prefer to come to the races the back way. Keeps me out of trouble," Thomas replied, looking down at her. "Tracks are lawless places. I can't stand petty criminals."

"Will we get to place a bet?" Grace asked.

"Gambling is for mugs," Thomas answered, pulling out a carton of cigarettes. "You're lucky you're both here with me or you'd be wasting your money on fixed races."

"I always wondered, how do you fix a race?"

"How would I?"

The three pushed through a red door, that lead to a hallway full of rich couples.

"Alright, you do the talking, Tab," Thomas started, making Tabitha and Grace furrow their brows. "Tell security you're Lady Sarah Duggan of Connamera. You got lost when you went looking for the boy riding your horse." He stopped, pulling a horse name from thin air. "Dandy Flower. If they ask about me and Grace, we're Prussians who don't speak a word of English."