TEN (EDITED)

CHAPTER TEN: We're Going to the Races

ANOTHER DAY PASSED, AND TABITHA WASN'T UPSET WITH THOMAS ANYMORE.

Somehow, when they got into bed after coming home from the empty Garrison, he convinced her to allow her and Grace to sing on Saturday nights. Tabitha was excited from the news, thanking Thomas over and over again.

Everything was smooth sailing, the night ending with Tabitha making a joke that make Thomas give a small laugh. Then they stayed smiling at each for awhile as they laid under the covers. Tabitha fell asleep quick and Thomas watched her, seeing how peaceful she looked as her breathing softly left her lips. Out of impulse, his fingers gently brushed her cheeks so she didn't wake up.

When Grace found out about being able to sing on Saturdays, she was so ecstatic and thanked Tabitha over and over for making it happen. Soon enough, the usuals were singing together as well over pints of beers. The Shelby brothers sat in their private room, trying to get away from the singing, Tabitha sitting in between Thomas and John as they played cards. Grace then walked into the room to refill glasses.

"Did you want whiskey as well?" Grace asked Tabitha.

"No. Just beer," Tabitha said.

"Why no whiskey, Tabby? Are you expecting trouble?" Arthur asked as Grace filled her a pint.

"Jesus Christ, Tommy, why'd you let them sing?" John questioned, making Tabitha giggle. It was enough to make Thomas smile. "Sounds like a bunch of strangled cats out there."

"What did make you change your mind, though, Tommy?"

"Tab somehow made me agree to let it happen," Thomas replied, taking a drag from his cigarette. "I don't even remember how."

"Oh, he remembers how," Arthur chuckled, making Tabitha blush.

"Don't be vulgar, Arthur," Tabitha told him before taking a sip from her pint.

"Just play the bloody hands," Thomas said, trying to change the topic.

He didn't like when his brothers talked vulgar to Tabitha, because he didn't want anyone to talk to her like that. A faint smile was on Tabitha's lips as she looked down at her cards. It was like the whole world smiled with her when she smiled.

"Grace is happy that you allowed singing," Tabitha told Thomas, looking up at him. "When I told her this morning, she was practically jumping up and down in excitement."

"You've been hanging out with that barmaid a lot recently, eh?" Thomas asked.

"Have to have some friends outside the business. Have some girl talk."

"And what do you two have to talk about?"

"This and that mostly." A smirked played on her lips, barely answering the question.