HUMBLE BEGINNINGS || T. SHELB...

By AMRivers

Tabitha Hearn is a young gypsy woman whose father leads the Hearn Clan. With her father's bad health and moth... More

CAST (EDITED)
ACT ONE
ONE (EDITED)
TWO (EDITED)
THREE (EDITED)
FOUR (EDITED)
FIVE (EDITED)
SIX (EDITED)
SEVEN (EDITED)
EIGHT (EDITED)
NINE (EDITED)
TEN (EDITED)
ELEVEN (EDITED)
TWELVE (EDITED)
THIRTEEN (EDITED)
FOURTEEN (EDITED)
FIFTEEN (EDITED)
SIXTEEN (EDITED)
SEVENTEEN (EDITED)
EIGHTEEN (EDITED)
NINTEEN (EDITED)
TWENTY (EDITED)
TWENTY-ONE (EDITED)
ACT TWO
TWENTY-TWO (EDITED)
TWENTY-THREE (EDITED)
TWENTY-FOUR (EDITED)
TWENTY-FIVE (EDITED)
TWENTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
TWENTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
TWENTY-NINE (EDITED)
THIRTY (EDITED)
THIRTY-ONE (EDITED)
THIRTY-TWO (EDITED)
THIRTY-THREE (EDITED)
THIRTY-FOUR (EDITED)
THIRTY-FIVE (EDITED)
THIRTY-SIX (EDITED)

TWENTY-SIX (EDITED)

21.1K 591 148
By AMRivers

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: Visiting Old Friends

CHARLIE STRONG AND CURLY WERE AT THE STABLES THAT NIGHT, TAKING CARE OF THE HORSES.

That's when they heard the gates to the stables begin to rattle on the other side. Someone was trying to get inside.

"Curly, you left the gate open?" Charlie questioned.

"No, I locked it," Curly shook his head. "I pinched it myself when I did it."

"Get that stuff under cover."

Charlie pulled out his revolver as Curly did as he was told. Two shadowy figures walked through the gate, two of them wore peaky hats, but one of them was a little hunched over with his hand on his chest. The other shape was holding onto him as if making sure the other one didn't fall.

"Hey! Who goes there?" Charlie asked as they got closer.

Through the smoke came Tabitha and Thomas, making Charlie lower his weapon.

"Tabitha? Tommy?"

"Get that oil you out on their legs when they go lame," Thomas said to Curly as Tabitha continued to help him walk
"Are you fucking mad, Doyle?" Charlie asked

"The yellow stuff, go on."

Curly did as Thomas said, and Charlie pulled up a chair for him. Tabitha helped him suit down.

"They said you'd be in for another three weeks," Charlie said.

"We need to get a boat to London," Tabitha said. "Tonight."

"You discharged him, Tabby?"

"I'm a fucking sitting duck in there, Charlie. I asked her too," Thomas replied. "Sabini could send a man any time. I need to get things done."

"My God, Tommy, you're burning up," Tabitha said faintly, feeling his forehead.

"Tommy," Curly said, handing over a bottle.

"Oh, Tommy, that stuff's for rubbing into fucking horses," 'Charlie said.

Thomas scoffed, "I am a horse."

"If you were a horse, they'd shoot you with this many broken bones," Tabitha replied, sitting down beside Thomas in a chair Charlie got for her.

"Get the black powder, Curly," Thomas said. "Go. The black powder."

"You pay for a bloody hospital and you're using witchcraft?" Charlie questioned.

"I need to sleep in the open air and feel the boat under me, Charlie."

"You must be crazy as hell if you think I'm letting you go alone," Tabitha said.

"Tab-"

"You're not going there by yourself, Tommy. You can barely walk, and you need a doctor. I'm going with you, end of the fucking discussion."

Thomas wasn't feeling well enough to argue and make Tabitha stay in Small Heath, as much as he wanted her to go with him to keep her safe. He knew that when her mind was made up, it wasn't going to change. Tabitha was the only one Thomas allowed to boss him around, because he found it arousing when she did it. Charlie was shocked to see how brave and freely Thomas' wife spoke to him.

"Glad you understand," Tabitha said, then faintly smiling.

"Tommy, you're just like your mother," Charlie sighed.

"Do you have a boat here?" Thomas asked.

"Only the January. She's heavy. London will take four days."

"That'll do."

"Can you spare Curly?" Tabitha asked Charlie. "He can stir the boat while I'll be Tommy's doctor."

Curly began getting really excited, giggling at the gypsy woman.

"You have tobacco, Curly?" Thomas asked.

"And tea and whiskey. We'll have you running around like a colt," Curly replied.

"Tabby, Curly, get him aboard. I'll fill her up," Charlie said, parting Tabitha's back.

Tabitha slowly helped Thomas up from the chair, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"If I sleep all the way, it's Camden Town we're headed for," Thomas told Curly as him and Tabitha started slowly walking.

"What business do you have in Camden Town, Tommy?" Charlie asked.

"Tell Polly she's in charge while we're away. If I don't come back, tell her that her and Tabitha are in charge for good."

That was all Thomas said as Tabitha helped both themselves into the boat.

"Don't worry, Charlie, I'll make sure he returns right as rain," Tabitha assured before they went down into the lower deck.

The first day in the boat was going along smoothly, Tabitha was nursing Thomas back to health as Curly was driving the boat. Her nursing skills from the war were on point, remembering everything from her training. It surprised her when Thomas did everything she said, because he was the most stubborn man she had ever met, worse than her twin brother Theo.

Thomas had been shivering for an hour or two, not saying anything about it. Tabitha observed it, knowing he was cold, and grabbed the only blanket that was in the lower deck.

"You're cold," Tabitha said. "Here, take the blanket, you're going to freeze to death."

Tabitha tried to put the blanket over Thomas, but he kept refusing it.

"Tommy, you need it. You have a fever, you're shivering, and if you don't take this blanket, you're going to get worse."

Thomas sighed and then reluctantly nodded, allowing Tabitha to drape the blanket over him.

"I don't want you to be cold," Thomas said. "You need it too."

"Don't worry about me," Tabitha whispered soothingly, gently brushing her fingers on Thomas' cheeks.

"Come 'ere," Thomas said.

Thomas moving the blanket away so Tabitha could get under it with him. Tabitha nodded, slowly sliding herself under the covers of the makeshift bed and letting him wrap his arms around her and pull him close to his body.

"Studies say that body heat is more effective than any other types of heat," Thomas said. "And this is so much better."

Tabitha giggled, getting herself comfortable in the makeshift bed. Thomas rested his head in between her breast, listening to her heartbeat with a smirk on his face. It was the most beautiful sound in his ears, laying beside the most perfect woman in the world. A woman who has killed for him, a woman who was going to nurse him back health, a woman that stood be his side through thick and thin.

"Tab...thank you," Thomas whispered,.sleep laced in his voice.

"Thank you for what?" Tabitha asked.

"For being here...for dealing with me...you're always here." His eyes closed and his body became less tense. "Thank you for loving me."

Tabitha smiled, running her hands gently through his hair as he fell asleep peacefully on her chest.

"You're welcome."

___________________________

THE RIDE TO CAMDEN TOWN DIDN'T FEEL THAT LONG FOR THOMAS AND TABITHA.

They spent the days in that makeshift bed until Thomas' fever went down and was feeling better. He didn't admit it, but he loved cuddling with Tabitha, maybe even more than she did. Nobody has lived him like Tabitha did, she was there for him. She was always there, even when he thought he didn't need anyone.

When they got into Camden Town, they walked the streets with their fingers interlocked. Thomas was able to walk normal again since he was healthier, and Tabitha was excited. She had never been to Camden Town, but there was a great family friend who ran a business there she missed a lot. He was one of Theo's closest friends, and may or may not have been keen on her before the war.

Tabitha and Thomas reached a distillery and she waited beside her husband in excitement. When she saw him coming down the hallway, it was hard not to jump up and down.

"Put them down, Ollie," the man said, getting closer.

The man came into sight, showing his short brown hair and full beard and mustache. Tabitha quickly smiled as his eyes landed on her in shock. A laugh left his lips.

"Well, well, well, look who's finally come to fucking visit me!" The man exclaimed.

"Alfie!" Tabitha greeted happily, throwing her hands out.

"Tabby-Cat!"

Tabitha and the man named Alfie, pulled each other into a tough hug. He lifted her feet off the ground and then put her back down before they pulled away from the hug. He patted her head and laughed. The entire time, Thomas watched the interaction completely confused.

"Look at you all grown up! A flower that's blossomed," Alfie said. "I haven't seen you for a long time. Not since Theo's funeral."

"It's so good to see you, Alfie," Tabitha said.

"You two know each other?" Thomas asked, speaking up.

"My twin brother worked with Alfie before the war, the fought together too. He's always been a family friend," Tabitha explained to her husband. "Hurts when people keep secrets, huh, Tommy?"

"No fucking way!" Alfie exclaimed, quickly catching on. "I heard you got married awhile ago."

"That's right. Tommy and I are married, I work with the Shelbys now."

"You're a brave lad marrying this spitfire, ain't you?" Alfie asked Thomas before turning around. He led the two down the hallway. "You want to take a look at my bakery? We bake all sorts here, mate, yeah. Did you know we bake over 10,000 loaves a week? Can you believe it?"

"Theo would be so proud," Tabitha said.

"Fuck yeah he would've. We bake the white bread, we bake the brown bread. We bake all sorts." Alfie then turned around to Thomas and Tabitha as they stopped. "Would you two like to try some? Bread?"

"All right," Thomas replied.

"Of course," Tabitha replied.

"What would you like, brown or white?" Alfie asked.

"Try the brown," Thomas answered.

Alfie and Alfie looked at each other and shrugged as a man poured three glasses of the brown. One for Tabitha, one for Thomas, and one for Alfie. Tabitha downed the glass already use to the taste, while Thomas only took a sip.

"Not bad," Thomas said.

"Not bad, eh? Not bad?" Alfie questioned. "It's fucking awful, that stuff. Fucking brown stuff, it's horrible. It's for the workers."

"The white stuff is for the bosses," Tabitha finished for Alfie, earning an high five from him. It made Thomas boil with jealousy how the two acted towards each other.

"You remember! I'm proud. Me and Theo thought you well," Alfie smiled impressed. "Come look."

Alfie led the two into his office, the door closed behind them so they spoke in private. Thomas offered the chair to Tabitha as Alfie say behind his desk, but she insisted Thomas sit due to his condition.

"Well, I've heard very bad, bad, bad things about you Birmingham people," Alfie said to Thomas as he lit a cigarette. "You're gypsies like the Hearns, right? So what, do you live in a fucking tent or caravan like they used to?"

"We came here to discuss business...with you Mr Solomons," Thomas said, including Tabitha who stood behind him and the chair.

"Well, rum's for fun and fucking innit? So, whiskey, now that, that is for business." He opened a desk drawer and grabbed a bottle of whiskey.

"Let's talk first, eh?"

Alfie rubbed and scratched his mustache before putting the bottle away. "Suit yourself. They say you had your life saved by a policeman."

"I have policeman on my payroll."

"Well, I don't like policemen because policemen, they can't be trusted."

"Mr Sabini uses policemen all the time. That's why he's winning the war in London and you are losing it," Thomas replied.

Tabitha could tell by that point that Alfie was getting pissed from Thomas' words.

"A war ain't over until it's over mate," Alfie said, opening a drawer. "You were in the war? I once carried out my own personal form of stigmata on an Italian. I pushed his face up against the trench and shoved six inch nails up his fucking nose and I hammered it home with a duckboard. It was fucking biblical mate."

Alfie then turned to Tabitha standing beside Thomas and pointed his finger at her.

"Tabby, your man don't come in here and sit in my chair and tell me that I'm losing my war to a fucking wop."

"That was a long time ago," Thomas said, gaining Alfie's attention again. "You need to be more realistic."

"Realistic, yeah? Realistic?" Alfie questioned, closing the drawer and leaning forward.

"Well, if you weren't losing the war, then you wouldn't have sent me a telegram."

"Really? You forget your fucking telegram. The telegram just said, hello," he replied. "It's very simple, you want to sell me something. What?"

"We join forces."

"Fuck off. No! Categorical." Alfie leaned back in his chair, fixing his vest. "Fucking ridiculous."

"Alfie," Tabitha said, tag-teaming Thomas. She knew how to talk to Alfie, better than Thomas was able to. "Your distillery provides one-tenths of your income. Protection is another ten percent and the rest you make from the tracks."

"I know you keep a gun in the drawer. I know you keep it beside the whiskey. I know you offer a deal or death," Thomas said, continuing for Tabitha. "I know what my wife and I are saying makes you angry. But I am offering you a solution."

Alfie rubbed his beard, impressed by Tabitha's words, but also by wanting to know Thomas' solution.

"You see, Mr Sabini is running all your bookies off your courses. And he is closing down the premises that take your rum. And people don't trust your protection anymore," Thomas continued.

"You're the bloke that shot Billy Kimber, right?" Alfie asked pointing his finger. Before Tabitha could correct him, he continued. "You did, you fucking shot him. That's you. You fucking betrayed him, mate. So it'd be entirely appropriate to do what I'm thinking in my head to you right now. "

"Actually, I'm the one who shot Kimber, Alf," Tabitha said, making the man turn to her. His eyes widened a bit and he chuckled smiling.

"Ha ha ha, well shit! You've done well, Tabby! Don't worry, I still trust you. I always will," Alfie exclaimed happily. Then he remembered the topic and looked back at Thomas. "Right, you wanted to say something."

"I can offer you 100 good men. All with weapons. And a new relationship with the police," Thomas replied leaning in.

"Intelligence. Intelligence is a very valuable thing, innit, my friend? But it usually comes far two fucking late."

Alfie whipped out a revolver from his gun, pointing it straight at Thomas. He cocked the gun and his finger was on the trigger, making Tabitha's heart pound in her chest.

"Let's say that I shot you already, right, in the fucking face," Alfie said. "And the bullet goes bone, mush, bone, cabinet over there."

"Easy..." Tabitha cautiously warned, but Alfie ignored her.

"Which is a shame innit, 'cause that cabinet's fucked now and I got to get shot of it," Alfie started. "So what I do is this..." He cocked the gun again. "It's fucking simple mate."

Blood began to trickle from Thomas' nose, making Tabitha softly gasp.

"I cut that cabinet in half, don't I?" Alfie answered. "I do. Literally, I just the cabinet, I cut..."

Just as Thomas went to wipe the blood with his thumb, Tabitha pulled out a handkerchief and wiped it for him. Alfie observed as a certain softness reached her eyes looking down at Thomas. He saw Thomas glance at her with the same softness before turning back at Alfie with a stoic expression.

"I cut the cabinet literally in half, mate," Alfie continued, putting his revolver down. "And I take one half of the cabinet, alright, and I put it into a barrel and I take the other half of the cabinet and all it's pieces and I put that into another barrel, right? And I send this barrel off to Mandalay. And the other other barrel off to somewhere like...Timbuktu. You ever been?"

"No," Thomas answered emotionless.

"No? Would you like to go?" Alfie asked, leaning forward.

"No."

Then Alfie went back into his seat. "You know, I always thought that you'd have a great fucking good ring in your nose."

"Alfie..." Tabitha warned, giving him the look.

He had suffered seeing the look once before by her and Kezia Hearn, and it always made him shudder on the inside.

"Sorry, love," Alfie apologized, knowing he had reached her limit. "Okay, go on. Tell us your plan."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.3K 1.2K 22
Anna-Maria Williams hates Thomas Shelby's guts. She thinks that he sees himself as the king of the world and everyone ought to bow before him but Ann...
304K 6.7K 18
Y/N has been through a lot that causes her to suffer from selective mutism. Her legal guardian will soon kick her out and she has to get a job and pr...
26.5K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? π—Ώπ—²π˜€π˜‚π—Ώπ—Ώπ—²π—°π˜π—Άπ—Όπ—» peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
27.3K 788 41
❝And I love you; for that, I vow that my absence will plague you for the rest of your cursed days. ❞ Tommy Shelby x female!oc Peaky Blinders season t...