Behind the Mask✔

By SophieOna

What's a family without drama? Jasmine's family is full of it only that her family's drama is a nightmare. H... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
💞New Book Alert 💞
Epilogue
Chit Chat and Reviews

Chapter 3

518 108 2
By SophieOna

School had resumed with full swing and we had three new students in my class , Ime-Uyai's cousin, Bernard and Lucy. All three students were level headed even Ime whom people were scared that she'll be as crazy as Uyai was very normal.

Mrs Ibeh turned out to be a very nice biology and class teacher and of all my science subjects, biology was the easiest.

Open day was today and parents were allowed to come in from eleven but it was just past eight and the teachers were having an impromptu meeting after which they would retire to the staff room with the exception of class teachers who were to sit in their classes and because of the open day we were free from classes. 

My friends and I sat gisting while  some people were playing whot, some reading novels some were sleeping and the rest of us were gisting.

Noise came from Joseph's corner of the class because  the students gathered around him were hailing him because of the gift he said his father bought for him for passing his test. I couldn't help but think about my own life. Out of my twelve subjects, I scored ten out of ten marks in eight, in two, I  scored nine out of ten and in the last two I had eight out of ten. Still my father didn't  give me as much as a smile not to mention a gift and he was even threatening to disown me. 

Meanwhile, Joseph who had ten out of ten in only six subjects was receiving a gift from his father

"Joseph, where's my own gift?" Uyai asked Joseph while smiling flirtatiously at him. Joseph laughed,  probably enjoying the attention

"Don't worry dear, I owe you meatpie on Monday "he replied her.

"Are you not a boarder?" Kemi asked her clearly jealous.

"Ha! Kemi she's not an ordinary boarder o " Moses replied "she's a begging boarder , can't you see how thin she is? She's hungry" 

The whole class burst into laughter even Joseph, the cause of the wahala

"Moses, what's your problem? Is it you that is giving her food? You should stop cracking jokes at people's expense , its not right" Aramide spoke and Uyai replied her " Thank you my dear"

"Angel of the  Lord" Moses attacked Aramide "Prophet of the Most High, Holiest on earth. I greet you "

We resumed our laughter "Chai!  Moses, you will not kill us " Lucy said

"It's true na," Moses retaliated "The girl will be forming Daughter of Zion, when she's a thorough sinner. Monkey. "

   I had forgotten my worries as I laughed wholeheartedly "Take it easy " Jemima said 

"Don't mind her,  she's happy that they disgraced Aramide " Felicia replied her, laughing as well.

"I'm not the only one laughing " I defended myself "See everybody,  even you " 

"But, what were you thinking about?" 

Jemima asked me . I shrugged "The usual, my dad and his wahala. I'm very scared. What if he actually disowns me?"

Felicia held my hand tight and Jemima took the other "He won't,  you're too much of a jewel for him to do such" Felicia said.  I smiled at them "Thanks,  you both are the best"

   Bimpe chose that moment to walk into our class "Hmmm! The Big B is here" Moses announced and we laughed. 

Bimpe wasn't really big, but she wasn't fat and not at all slim more like in the middle plus she had flesh in all the right places and she was light skinned which made both of us the only fair ones in our group. She seemed to notice the tension as she approached our corner at the back of the class.

"What's happening?" she asked as she sat on my table

"Jasmine is thinking about what her daddy said" Jemima filled her in. Bimpe's expression changed to a sad one as she cupped my face "He. Can't. Do. It" She said, punctuating each word. 

I  nodded and smiled at my friends "Thanks . I love you guys" And really,  I did love my friends  they were standing by me as if they didn't have problems but we knew our issues.  Bimpe struggled with parents who lived as flatmates,  Felicia despite her bubbly self had a very sick mother and the treatment was fast consuming their finances since her father was paying the bills of four children and  bearing the burden of finances alone and Jemima also had money issues which was causing a rift between her parents . But despite it all, we stood tall and proud and we were there for each other not caring what others think.

We were still in our serious moment, when the head girl of the school, Zara walked in

"Where's your class captain?" she asked and I raised my hand

"Come and kneel down here " she pointed to the spot beside her.

"But,  what did I do ?" I asked

"That's a stupid question. So you're here and they are making noise. You'll bear the brunt of the punishment today. "

"Chai." I muttered. Classes were not ongoing and teachers were away which allowed students to have a little fun and there were usually no punishments except you were found loitering. So what was this new development? 

"We're sorry for disturbing the peace of the school" I said to appease her and my classmates added "Yes."
"See, if we make noise again, let my great great great grandfather not rest in peace.  In fact, amadi oha will strike his grave" Moses added and some people chuckled, I even smiled.

" Werey ni bobo yii sha" Bimpe mumured, shaking her head.

"Are you people mad? Is it weed? Do you think I'm joking?" She spat back and I drew my brows together. This one would be hard to please but the insults were not necessary and I felt my respect for her beginning to wane. Insultive seniors always brought out the worst in me.

"Listen, you better come out and kneel down here before I slap sense into your head. You must be very stupid! In short, your entire family is stupid! Who do you think you are? I'm talking to you and you are negotiating. Am I your mate?" Zara snapped and I stared at her with a slack jaw, my anger beginning to rise.

Firstly, this was a free period for the students. Secondly, I was not rude to her. Thirdly, my family did not deserve the insults and neither did I.

"Ha!" Bimpe shouted, staring at Zara. "Why na?" She turned to Felicia.

"I'm waiting." Zara said and all eyes fell on me. I remained where I was angry at all seniors who thought they could order anyone around the way they liked just because they were older and this one in front of me represented all of them.

"On top wetin nau?" Bernard murmured.

"My brother!" Moses replied him. "Na this kain person people suppose gather flog after school"
I couldn't agree more with Moses.

The tension in the class was so thick, it was almost choking me. I began to sweat and laugh, trying to fight back the tears that were threatening to pour down my face.

"Jasmine, just go and kneel down first so she can calm down." Jemima suggested. It was a rational suggestion, I knew I should have adhered to it but it did not appeal to me. My reaction was a hiss.

"Why?" Felicia snapped.

Zara hissed where she was and came to me and gripped my arm firmly, dragging me out. "Get out! Do you think I'm joking with you? You're very foolish. Idiot!" I resisted her shouting. "Leave me alone." I pinched her hand and she released me immediately and then slapped me.

"What is this nau?" I heard Uyai shout.

I slapped Zara back and pushed her. She fell, bumping her knee on a table before landing on the floor.

"Jasmine, don't fight!" Jemima warned and ran to me. Moses and Bernard ran to hold Zara back.

"Aunty, she will beat you o!" Moses warned Zara as she stood and attempted  to come close to me.

"See, Jasmine if you fight her, yawa go gas for you" Bimpe reasoned already holding me back alongside Jemima.

"Abi, don't enter trouble because of this thing. After school, we will think of how to handle her. I will pay Wosco and Raski, those boys that smoke taba opposite Iya Bose's shop on my street." Felicia suggested. I smiled despite myself.

"Exactly. We will give her woto woto. Just comport yourself for now." Jemima suggested and we all giggled. I wiped my tears.

"Our mummy, that came from you?" Bimpe asked laughing.

Zara wiggled in Moses and Bernard's hold. Moses spoke. "Senior, are you an earth worm? Calm down o. Small push, your knee is already shaking. She will give you gbas gbos now o."

"You're a very stupid girl." Zara shouted. "How will you push me?"

"With strength." Bernard murmured.

Seeing my tensed muscles, Bimpe and Felicia dragged me to Bimpe's class. I ignored the stares directed at us when we entered. The class became suspiciously quiet which led me to conclude that they were talking about me. I wished the ground would open up and swallow me.

I placed my head on Bimpe's desk, crying. I had just made a fool if myself. What was I thinking, fighting Zara? I should have listened to Jemima and obeyed Zara instead of causing a scene.

"Don't feeling bad o!" Felicia  warned."As you are crying, you are tempting me to kill that girl o."

"It's only mouth you have. Can you even bend her wrist?" Bimpe countered.

I laughed at that. Felicia was 70 percent bark but the 30 percent that bit people was akin to a devil.

"Don't try me o. If I give you Bruce Lee style, you will enter coma." Felicia replied her and we laughed.

"See how you are smiling now." Bimpe teased "You just allowed one goat that I'm sure the father wishes he used condom the night he knack her mother to spoil your mood."

"Maybe he even used condom and it broke" Felicia suggested with a shrug.

"Felicia!" Bimpe and I called, laughing.

"See, let's say the truth." Bimpe spoke."You should have controlled your anger"

Felicia exhaled. "I want to say 'yes you should have' but the Bible said that we should remove the log in our eye before the speck  in another person's eye. So, I don't have the power to condemn you because I, Felicia, Adanna, Kamsiyochukwu, Jael Onyeze. I would have beaten nonsense out of her body." Our mates close to us laughed.
"You people can't even pretend that you are not doing aproko." Felicia snapped with a smile.

"Carry your matter elsewhere if you need privacy o because I must hear this gist." A student named Blessing said.

Bimpe eyed her and raised her nose in disapproval.  "You better repent. Rapture is not far."

"Preach on Sister!" Another student, Yemi said chewing  bubble gum furiously.

I laughed at the exchange but didn't feel comfortable with them listening to us but I said nothing and allowed Bimpe continue.

"Jasmine, don't mind all of them and you, Felicia your case is for another day."

Felicia nodded.

"You should have calmed down for Jesus because that girl is a temptation and you gave in. Next time, just walk away. We know you've been trying with controlling your temper but school authorities will not hear that one o. Jo, nitori Olorun, try harder. You know we love you"

I nodded. My friends loved me truly and whole heartedly.

"You have no right to insult any member of my family talk less of my mother so get out. You are not needed in our class"

I said as calmly as I could before sitting down "Are you mad?" She screamed and came towards me.  Murmurs were coming from every corner of the class and my friends told me to calm down

"Come out now" Zara said grabbing my arm

"If you love your life and you know that you don't want that thing you call a head to be broken right now, you will leave me alone before I slap that ridiculous paperwork you call a face" I snapped at her.

This was getting too much , how would this agent of the devil just decide to disturb my peace this early morning.  "Who are you  talking to like that? " she said and before I could react, she slapped me. The whole class screamed "Ah" and before I thought better of it, I slapped her back then I slapped her again. 

By now, the class was noisy. Zara pulled my hair and tried to drag me closer to her but I pushed her and loosened myself from her grip. I could feel the heat of my anger threatening to spill. Was this idiot normal at all? I  pushed her to the floor, sat on her stomach and gave her two more slaps

"Jasmine don vex o" Moses said . Felicia and Bimpe rushed to us and pulled me off Zara before I could do more harm to her but I was in anger mode. The girl stood up and instead of running away in shame, she tried to attack me again but I kicked her left leg and she stumbled and fell "Idiot." I shouted at her "You're coming here to flex your nonexistent muscle "

By now, students had gathered at the threshold of our class "Jasy, calm down " Bimpe said while some idiots around chanted "Fight,  fight ".

Zara stood up and wagged her finger at me "You have the guts to lay a finger on me , you -" 

"Shut up " I cut her short. "Your mates are in their classes reading for WAEC while you are here ranting and displaying your stupidity. "

I struggled for Bimpe and Felicia to release me but their grips were tight "You guys should leave me" I told them "No" they both chorused. 

Aramide came to us "Jasmine, she's your senior. You're not supposed to hit her". If I was angry before,  Aramide's words just made me feel raving mad.

This animal insulted my mother and slapped me and then her fellow animal just added fuel to fire

"It's  like you're mad abi, Aramide, better leave here if not ,  I'll slap you and restore that sense that you threw inside dustbin. Fool ".

"What's happening here? " a voice echoed and I knew I was done for.

     Mr Obi entered the class and looked around "So you've turned my school to a wrestling ground" he shouted "Both of you, to my office now" I  walked out angrily while Zara limped behind me. I scoffed at the sight of her , she came to look for trouble and yet after receiving few slaps and a kick, she looked like she had encountered a blow from heaven.

We got to the principal's office and we waited in the reception after greeting the receptionist and stating our  mission. The principal came shortly and ordered us into his office. 

"Both of you , on your knees" I obeyed but Zara said "Sir please,  can I sit on the floor my leg is in bad shape " I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from hissing. The girl was a pretender. 

The principal allowed her and then spoke "May I know why the head girl was fighting with another student? "

I opened my mouth to speak but Zara  eat me to it. "Sir, I went to her class to find out why they were noisy and I asked for the class captain and she said she's the one. I asked her why they were making noise and she told me to get out that it's none of my business"

My jaw dropped,  but I let her continue "So,  after she said that, I asked  her why she was so rude and then,  she attacked me"

Mr Obi turned to me "Is that true Jasmine? "

" No sir. She's telling a lie"

"Let me hear your story " Mr Obi said and I narrated the story to him and I even told him to invite those who were present  and he called six students over and they all confirmed my story. Zara and I were punished, mine was to do the general cleaning of my class alone today while Zara received a greater punishment which was to wash the SS3 toilets for one week and join Baba B in weeding the farm for two weeks. 

I laughed inwardly at the punishment allotted to us. Normally, students caught fighting would be suspended for at least one week but since I was involved,  it didn't happen that way because of the large sum of money my father donated every session and for every school event but he never showed his face at my school or any of those events so that gave me a little relief knowing that since mum was coming for my Open day and not dad, he'll never know.  Mum wouldn't tell him. 

My relief was cut short when Mr Obi told me to wait behind after dismissing Zara and then said

"I'm informing your father" I could hardly believe my ears

"Please sir" I began pleading but he turned a deaf ears to my plea and called my father and informed him in my presence. I knew I  was dead

------------------------------
Uh oh!  Jasmine was fighting and now her dad's coming. Hope you enjoyed it. Like I said, the story is gradually picking up . Only God knows what  Jasmine's father would do .
Abi is a common slang which means exactly and sometimes used in the beginning of sentences
Ogbeni means Mr
Chai is an exclamation in Igbo language
Thanks and don't forget to vote

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

251 36 32
* A Nigerian themed story * Clint: (Voice notes) It beats my imagination why you chose to tread this path. Matter of fact; let me make this clear to...
24.2K 3.5K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...
44.9K 12.1K 75
The choices teenagers make... Some choose to smoke Some choose to steal Some choose to be bullies to defend themselves Some end up getting pregnant...
256K 79.9K 98
We're all broken, all beautifully Imperfect. They say these would be the best days of our lives but does that mean it could be the worst too? For a t...