The Stand In

By newbiegac2015

"What do I want?" I ask sucking in a breath. Zak's eyes seem to glow, even in the low lighting. Between his b... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 [m]
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Sequel

Chapter 40

1.2K 45 11
By newbiegac2015

"Talk to me." Zak urges as we sit in the car outside the doctors.

We had just been in, together and sat down with my doctor to arrange some alternative medication, as mine wasn't working.

After almost two weeks, Zak put his foot down and drove me across Vegas to my doctor. He came in with me, armed with evidence that I didn't know he had. Whilst I was having my narcoleptic sleeps, I was also having warning signs of a seizure. I had no idea. Neither did Zak until my doctor explained what was happening.

But I wished Zak had shown me what he had recorded, then I may have acted sooner, as shortly after the video was stopped, my doctor gave me a disapproving look.

"I've fucked up, haven't I?" Zak asks.

I look down at the medication I had previous to the new one. "No. I just..."

"Just what? Please talk to me."

Picking up Zak's hand, I hold it in both of mine. "I feel like I've gone back three steps. I'm back on medication that works but isn't strong enough."

"Which is why he gave you a higher dose. He consulted with a colleague... Did you not hear that bit?"

I shake my head confused. "I- when was that?"

He squeezes my fingers gently "Around the time you shut down.. A few seconds before you zonked out, maybe?"

I was fortunate enough to have a nap in the doctors too. One minute he was talking, the next I was waking up in Zak's neck. Humming at the smell of his cologne, as usual.

"Oh..." I answer. "So what did I miss?"

"Well he spoke to a colleague, they both reviewed your case, surgery was recommended.." He pauses as I groan. "He knew you didn't want that, so they both decided on a combi-pill. Your old medication with another one. You didn't hear any of this?"

I shake my head.

Now I was super glad Zak made me come to this appointment as my denial about how bad it was, was pretty high. I was so desperate for the new medication to work that I was willing to overlook all the problems.

Apparently I had lost weight, I couldn't see it but I knew my eating habits were non-existent. I was keeping some food down, but not a lot. Zak was also the one to point that out...

"He's hoping this new medication will work. There's others he can try, but surgery is looking-"

"I don't want to do that though." I moan.

"Okay. But why not? Explain your fear of this?"

I look over at him incredulously "In case I don't wake up? That's a pretty big incentive not to have it done. I don't want them up in my head squirrelling around!"

"Not even if it keeps you safe?"

"I am safe. I got you." I tell him with a small frown.

"When I'm home, yeah. But I'm in the road tomorrow."

I grumble, knowing his life is travelling, but I have yet to accept that I won't see him for a week. I've become reliant upon him. His aura, his warmth, his safety.  "I know..."

He gives a sigh. "Look, you may or may not be pissed off about this. If you are, then I guess I'm gonna spend the entire day making it up to you. But I got you something."

He let's go of my hand to reach inside the glove compartment. I wait as he brings out a small box and sets it down on my lap.

"What is it?"

"Open it."

Pulling off the wrapping, I set it aside and flip over the box. I recognise it straight away. "You've got me a seizure watch?" I ask confused.

"Yeah. The chances are you might have some seizures whilst changing your medication."

I knew that already, but I don't tell him, I simply nod.

"And I would move this investigation if I could but we won't be able to get the location for a long-"

"No. I don't want you doing that. Ever. Not for this, for me. I don't want to interfere with your work."

"But I would. I'd put shit back if it meant I knew you were safe. I don't like the idea of you having them alone. But I also can't do anything to prevent that. So I got this.. With  your permission, I want it linked to my phone. So that if you do have one, I can ring you and make sure you're okay. The moment you don't answer, is the moment I ring 911."

I feel a twist in my gut, with flashbacks of Mia and the watch. Do I really want someone else looking out for me like that? Part of me wants to say yes, another wants to say no. I could see his reasoning behind it, but it also felt like I was losing control over my own body again.

One look at his concerned face confirms my decision. "Okay. But you can't get obsessed with looking at it."

He smiles "I won't and I will be on the phone whenever you need me. I also got you something else.."

"It's not my birthday." I laugh, setting the box aside. "We can set this up when we get back, yeah?"

"Sure thing sweet. Okay next one." Zak says reaching behind the seat.

A large gift bag comes up between us, before he sets it down onto my lap.

"Is it a puppy? It's Gracie isn't it?"

He laughs "Gracie would destroy the bag. Plus she would have sniffed you out by now."

I giggle, remembering this morning.

Over the past week of me moving back home, Zak had moved in bringing Gracie with him. Most mornings, he woke to find me asleep with Gracie. Not down on the floor, next to the bed where she had been at the start of the night. But on the side of the bed with my arm thrown over her.

The mornings he didn't find us like that, was often the mornings both me and Gracie were already out for a stroll. Enjoying the quiet of the morning and the cooler sun. I'd get about 3 phone calls and a few messages asking me where I was. Especially with my narcoleptic moments...

"Just for.. You know." He shrugs.

I open the bag, and peek inside at the black material. Confused, I pick it up and open it out before grinning.

I got one of his shirts.

Before he can say anything, I am sniffing at it like a wild animal until I find the cologne. The same warm fuzzy feeling sets off in my heart.

"There's also a little more in there." He hints as I sit quiet content holding his shirt against me.

"I know. But I got this for when you're away.." I smile at him for his thoughtfulness.

Once I'm content, I fold it back up and set it on the console before going back into the bag and pulling out a note book.

"Oh that bit is last." Zak says taking it.

"Ominous." I comment and grab the box that's inside. Picking it up out, I unwrap it. "Nice job on the wrapping."

"My mom told me to wrap it. She's kinda demanding like that."

I laugh "Training you up, huh?"

"Something like that."

As I pull the last bit of the paper off, I frown and turn the box around so I can read it. "Touch?"

Confused as to what the black rectangular shapes are, I pull off the lid and pause seeing two bands.

"Is this a vibrator? You got me a sex toy for when you're away?"

Okay now I'm a little offended. I really hope he doesn't think I'm using him for his body...

His laugh booms through the car, making me laugh too because I'm still confused as to what these are. It's only when Zak pulls himself together and pulls out one of the rectangular shapes that I realise it's on a band.

"This is your one." He says putting it into my wrist. "This one is mine."

"You got us-"

"Please." He begs putting his hand over my mouth. "I need to pee so bad. Please don't say it again."

"Wha-" I pause until he takes his hand away. "I don't get it?"

"Ready?"

He taps his band, causing mine to light up and vibrate.

I gasp "You- those are these?!"

Great bit of English there, Elle.

Amazed at this new toy, I tap it back, causing his to vibrate.

"I got the baby blue for you because I like that colour against your skin." He says looking at my wrist.

"Black for you because black is your colour." I smile.

"Exactly. I want you to know, that whilst I'm away, I'm only a touch away. I can't have my phone whilst filming but I can have a watch..."

"Discreet. I like it..."

"You do? It's not too much or clingy?"

"Do I like the idea that we can do some morse code shit on these and communicate, wherever we are? Like two secret agents? Hell yeah I love the idea!"

He grins "Thank god. I was worried you'd be annoyed that I was taking over. So this book..."

Handing me the note book, I open it up to his writing. "What's this?"

"Our secret morse code. So one tap is hello."

I look through the book, at the taps and sequences, all made up and wrote by him too. Picking out a sequence, I tap on the band with my fingertip.

As soon as I've stopped, I look over to see the small line on the rectangle turn multicolour letting him know that he was getting a message.

"Was that a swear word?" Zak asks.

"We can swear too?" I gasp flicking through the pages making him chuckle.

"So there's an app.." He says using his phone to show me. "Where it records them and we can send messages."

"Aww that's cool. But have you got the code too?"

Zak opens his camera roll and shows me that he has pictures of the notes. "I'll know what you're saying."

I thank him for the gifts and tap along on the band, wanting to make sure it works at all times.

*****

As we are driving through Vegas, Zak looks over.  "We having fun there? You've been awfully quiet."

I look up and over to his wrist as it vibrates. "Yep. Secret Agent Elle reporting for duty."

"Well I hate to break it to you... But we are here."

Taking my eyes off him, I look towards the office and feel a sense of doom come over me. The plan today was the doctors, which I had done, then go and see Henry. I needed to know if it was okay for me to return to work, via the office, or if it would be best I worked from home, hell I needed to know if I still had a job!

I may not have done anything wrong, but Mia might not tell him the same story.

My holiday technically ended last week, but I messaged Henry who suggested another week due to the medication change.

So here I was....

"You got this." Zak hypes me up.

"I've got a deep sense of dread..."

"Push that anxiety aside. Now listen. I'm gonna shoot to the store and grab some fruit. If you're out before I'm back here..."

I lift my wrist "I'll give you a tippy tap."

"Or you could ring me." He chuckles.

"Where's the fun in that?"

After a little chat, (my avoidance technique) we part ways and I slowly make my way towards the office.

Stepping back inside my place of work, it felt as though everything had changed. Old faces were mixed with new, reminding me that there was some familiarity left here. Seeing that I was a little early for my meeting, I stop and talk to a few colleagues. It's nice to catch up and catch with them. It reminds me why I prefer to be in the office. It's the company, the work force, the friendly faces and the sense of team.

Finally, I head for Henrys office, once I've finished fussing with my clothes at the door, I put on a smile and knock.

Henry opens it with a frown before a smile fills his face, "Elle. It's wonderful to see you, come in."

"You to." I reply sliding in and spotting Sophie at the meeting table on the other side of his office. "Hey."

"Hey."

"You're early." Henry tells me.

I look at the time "Shall I come back or-"

"I'm joking with you, come over." He says taking a seat back at the table. Once I've sat myself down Henry begins.

"First off, welcome back. I hope it's a welcome back and not a resignation meeting..."

"It's not." I ensure him.

"Good. Okay I've asked Sophie here too, because I want to speak with you both." He pauses. "It's regarding Mia, now I know Elle you've had issues with her. Sophie too, but you've resolved them with Sophie, correct?"

I nod. "Yeah. We are on the same page."

Sophie gives me a warm smile before grabbing my hand and giving it a squeeze. I know she's missed me, I have missed her too. Friendship was one word, but we have always been as close as sisters.

"Mia is a different story, she came over and well pretty much told me that she wouldn't accept my relationship with Zak, she didn't regret this whole thing starting. It was a really weird meeting.."

Henry sighs "I thought as much. I suggested that she builds bridges. Her actions were uncalled for. Yes we had concerns but we also trust your judgement, right Soph?"

Sophie nods.

"So is this some mediation before you bring Mia in?" I ask.

"Actually Mia won't be here for a while... I've put her on leave."

My brows raise. "But you two are-"

"We were seeing each other, yes. But she has changed, I called it off because I can't trust her. Her actions are questionable..."

I look at Sophie concerned "What has she done?"

"She has broke a lot of protocol, were you aware that Zak is or was one of our clients?"

"No? Since when?"

"Since I took the client list from our crumbling competition, he was on that list.."

"Right..."  I answer, making a note to speak with him about this.

"I caught Mia going through my filing cabinet. She had Zak's file, had being the operative word. But she was using the company computer to access his information and sought out his address."

"Jeeeze." I mutter. "Thank goodness he lives on a private community."

"She was trying to get herself access to that too..."

My eyes widen "She was hacking a security system to what? Get at Zak?"

Henry makes an unsure noise. "I think it was more to get to you.."

I freeze "W- what did I do?!"

"You've reported this to the police, haven't you?" Sophie asks Henry.

"I was hoping I wouldn't have to. I don't know what to do. I thought maybe she just wanted to talk with you? Try again? I want to talk to you both before I do anything. I want your advice and guidance, really."

"She's hacking systems and you don't think it's a little psychotic?" I ask bewildered.

"Elle, you know what Mia is like, how she's a whizz at all this tech stuff. I thought she was testing their systems, to encrypt that type of security into this company."

I'm about to ask him a whole barrage of questions and moral code when my phone rings. I dive my hand into my bag and pull it out to see Zak ringing.

At first I ignore the call, then my wrist starts vibrating rapidly making me look at the band.

"Something is wrong..." I say, as my phone begins going off again.  Henry and Sophie look at me as I answer to Zak's call.

"Hello."

"El, I- fuck."

"What? What is it?" 

"It's your car..."

I frown "What about it?"

"I haven't got my wallet, so I came back to yours to get it and... Someone's slashed three tyres, put a window through and scratched it up."

"Is there anything else missing? The radio? Is the house okay? Is Gracie still there?!"

"Nothing taken. House is okay from the front, I'm gonna let myself in. I can see Gracie in the window upstairs. I think the sound of the window probably scared her."

Relief floods over me at the fact she is still in the house, but anger churns at the idea of someone scaring her.

"Who the fuck does this in broad daylight?" Zak asks.

I glance across the table at Henry, who had his brows pitched together. "I've got fair idea.. Stay at the house, make sure Gracie is okay. I'll be home as soon as I can."

"How?"

"Can you take me home?" I ask Sophie, but it's Henry who says yes immediately.

"Henry and Sophie will bring me back. Stay with Gray."

"Okay.. El, your car is fucked up.."

"I don't care. It can be replaced. Just-"

"Gracie. Yeah. I'm on it. I'll see you soon."

We hang up and I relay the story to Henry and Sophie who both give me the same look.

"I know what you're thinking..."

"It's not what, it's who." Sophie says.

"We don't know if it's Mia yet." I reason.

"And if it's Mia?" Henry asks.

I shrug as I get up, needing to get home now.

"If she does this to someone she loves, imagine what she would do to someone she hates?" Sophie comments.

And that is the comment that hits me the hardest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 5.6K 110
They're back by popular demand! Catch up with Zak & Maria! The paranormal power pair are working together, living together and hanging out together...
51.5K 2.2K 59
Serendipity - Finding something good, without looking for it. After waking up from an accident, Katy finds herself looking at the world in a differen...
35.5K 1.4K 40
Sequel to Forgotten Flame. Find out what has become of Zak & Mina. Where their lives have taken them and what roads they have been set upon. Baring...
92.1K 3.2K 54
Delilah Winters, urban explorer & self proclaimed badass. Lands herself the opportunity of a life time, not only does she get to meet her idol... She...