Chasing Sin

بواسطة krisxx101

Haven Walker has found a fresh start at Eve Hall High, far away from her problematic past. However, after cro... المزيد

disclaimer
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42

29

145 3 0
بواسطة krisxx101

"What did you do?" Aubrey presses. "PLEASE tell me it has to do with that Bumper Sticker Bitch. Seeing her scream down the halls, stomping around in her Louboutins, is one of life's greatest entertainments."

I laugh, agreeing with that. "It might have something to do with the shitshow herself. You're all just going to have to wait and see."

They pass around the coffee cake I managed to bake in time this morning, and before long we walk into the school.

I walk over to my locker and grab my new books, but not before I catch a glimpse of Ethan rushing down the hall. I haven't see him in days, and I'm not going to lie, I've been kind of worried.

"Ethan!!" I shout down the hall, and he stops when he hears his name.

When he turns to look at me, I nearly drop my jaw. He looks like absolute hell.

Ethan's eyes have harsh dark circles underneath them, like he hasn't slept in weeks. He's pale and exhausted, with wrinkled clothes and hair that is the same beautiful caramel shade as mine is, but unruly and long.

He squints at me and turns away to go to class.

I hadn't seen him in days, but I assumed he was still coming and going to the house. Maybe he hasn't been home in a while. I need to talk to him, and soon.

I make my way to homeroom, my mind running with thoughts about my brother.

When I sit down in my usual desk, though, I hear the familiar bell and the beginning of the morning announcements.

"Hey, Haven," Jenna greets me. I smile and wave back as she sits a row over.

"Good morning, Eve Hall High students and faculty," Jonah begins, his voice calm and collected. "There are ten announcements for you all this morning. First, the cafeteria will be taking suggestions for vegan options over the next few weeks."

Jonah drones on and on about the Chess Club fundraisers, a reminder about Thanksgiving break protocol, a ton of other boring details I could happily have never heard.

Finally—after several torturous minutes of actually paying attention to the morning announcements for once—he gets to my addition.

"Senior cheer captain Emily Huntington is creating a teen parenting support group for fellow teen moms, or expecting teen parents," Jonah says, not at all sounding amused or excited about the content of the announcement.

I vaguely wonder if he knows who Emily is, but I don't think there's anyone on campus who doesn't. It's a fairly small school, and Emily likes her presence to be known.

He continues, "Emily says, 'I am so excited for my own journey to be starting, and to do what I can to help those around me going through the same things.' Those interested in joining this teen parenting club should contact Emily Huntington immediately with questions and concerns."

A few of the others in my class look around confused, a few of them laugh out loud. I scan the room and see that Jenna looking around, particularly shocked by that news.

A few other senior girls immediately start gossiping loudly, as I can hear them all the way on the other side of the classroom.

"Emily Huntington is pregnant?!"

If only I could see Emily's face right now.

---

After several texts from all my friends about the prank I somehow pulled off this morning, I meet them all at lunch with a huge, quite proud, grin.

Peyton, Beckett, and I all walk to lunch together, as we often do, since we have fourth period together.

"Ave, I had no idea what you were planning," Kace starts, "but you far exceeded my expectations on this one."

I smile, taking a bite of an apple and reveling in my small triumph.

Sin approaches the table and sits next to me, giving me a half-smile as he shakes his head. "You always got something up your sleeve, don't you, Sunshine?"

I smile and shrug. "I just like to keep everyone on their toes."

"You know, you're just about the only person around here that's truly unpredictable. You always surprise me," he tells me. He smiles at me but I have a feeling he doesn't like not knowing what I'll do or how I'm thinking.

I wouldn't necessarily describe Sin as a control freak, but he definitely likes to be the one calling the shots. He's used to taking care of everyone around him, and it's harder to do that when you're kept in the dark.

It makes me feel a slight pang of guilt knowing Sin is still kind of in the dark when it comes to my past. I have a feeling that if and when the truth comes out, Sin will not take it lightly. And he won't appreciate it being kept from him for so long.

But I don't want him—or anyone—to ever find out.

I push these thoughts away and make a lighthearted comment instead. "Isn't that part of my appeal? A woman of mystery?"

Sin huffs out a laugh, his small smile widening. "Something like that."

"Anyone catch sight of the mother-to-be?" I ask the table.

Skylar, drawing henna once again, shakes her head, and Kace says he hasn't.

Taylor and Aubrey join the group then, also commenting on the announcement.

"Haven Olivia Walker, you sly little bitch, you are my absolute hero," Aubrey, wrapping a hair tie around the end of her long black braid. Her tan Latina skin always looks gorgeous, but with a white top on, it stands out especially well today.

"Where'd you get Olivia from?" I ask her, furrowing my brows.

"Well, I don't know your middle name and it seemed like the hero statement would have more of an impact if I led with a full name, so I made one up."

"Well okay then. Feel free to throw rose petals at my feet all day," I inform her.

Beckett kisses her as she sits next to him, with her practically sitting on his lap. I furrow my brows at their over-affectionateness, taking another bite of my apple.

Sin nudges me, getting my attention. He looks over to our left and says, "I think Mother Mary just found her target."

I look over to see Emily scouring the cafeteria before zeroing in on our table.

She stomps over here, her face practically red with steam coming out of her ears.

"HOW DARE YOU!" she yells before even reaching our table. "I KNOW YOU DID THIS, YOU STUPID SLUT!"

I let out a small laugh, not sure what to even say at first. I knew she would be pissed, but not like this.

"Emily, I just-"

"YOU TOLD THE WHOLE SCHOOL I WAS PREGNANT! DON'T EVEN TRY TO DENY IT!"

She's still literally screaming across the cafeteria, making the rest of the room go silent.

I stand up as she gets closer, wanting to be on even ground when she approaches me. Clearly she's angry, and she's trying taking a shot on me before.

"I didn't do anything!" I say. "I don't make the announcements. It sounds like you have an issue with someone else, not me."

Her face gets even redder as she reaches our table.

"You crazy bitch! My reputation is at stake here!!" she shouts. "You can take Peyton from me. You can embarrass me in front of my friends. You can even make me shit my pants. But you will NOT take my place around here! This school is MINE!!"

She looks back at Peyton as she says his name, and I follow her gaze. My friends are just watching this confrontation play out like scene from a soap opera, all sitting on the edge of their seats.

"I don't want your place around here, believe me," I assure her. "I don't want to be anything like you. All you do is hurt my friends and I'm sick of it."

"That's not true! I do all kinds of great things, way more than you, bitch!" she shouts back, her blonde hair nearly coming loose from her tightly pinned ponytail.

"As if," I scoff. "Let's face it, Emily, you're more useless than a white crayon."

"Shut up! You're just jealous that I was with Peyton and Sin before you, and you just have to settle for my sloppy seconds." She says this with an evil smirk and I laugh.

"Oh, yeah, I'm jealous of you. That's it," I say sarcastically, shaking my head at how delusional she is.

"This isn't a joke, Haven," she spits my name. "People actually believe that I'm pregnant. They have been calling to congratulate me all day!"

I laugh, which only makes her more annoyed.

She scoffs loudly, her face contorting in anger once again. "I never did anything to you!! Why are even targeting me like this?!"

"Never did anything to me?" I repeat, my eyes wide. "That is such a lie! All you've done since I've shown up is antagonize me and my friends, and now you're going to deny it and try to play innocent? Come on, if you're going to be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty."

Taylor stands up now, surprising me a little by joining my side. She shocks me further by yelling out at Emily.

"Back the fuck up, Huntington," she shouts, her expression hard and angry. Her height and anger make her quite intimidating, which shows in Emily's reaction.

She immediately cowers, and Taylor continues. "Just because you clearly have some issues, doesn't mean you have to take it out on my friends. You started all of this."

I'm a little shocked to be hearing Taylor stand up for herself, and me, but super proud of her for finally speaking up.

"Emily didn't start anything!"

Suddenly Jordan appears out of nowhere, here to join Emily's side of an argument she only heard half of.

"In fact, you all should be apologizing to her! Everyone here thinks she's pregnant!" she shouts at Taylor, pointing a perfectly manicured finger at her.

"You don't have any proof that Haven did anything wrong," Taylor assumes. She knows I'd be smarter than to leave a paper trail of any wrong-doing. "So I suggest you and your posse of Barbie wannabes quit while you're ahead and leave us alone."

"Bitch, back off," Jordan says, stepping up to Taylor. "This isn't even your fight!"

I step forward to put myself in between Jordan and Taylor, hoping to diffuse the situation.

Unfortunately, it sets off Jordan, and she lunges forward with a fist, probably going for a punch. I block the hit and push Jordan back, and she stumbles, swiveling around to do a full 180.

God must have a sense of humor, because somehow, Jordan ends up hitting Emily instead.

Right. In. The face.

"OW!" Emily cries out, falling to her knees dramatically. Jordan's elbow barely hit her cheek, so I doubt she's actually injured. Taylor, her kind nature taking prominence over her anger and adrenaline, leans down to see if she's okay. I just cross my arms and try to let go of my anger.

Jordan starts apologizing profusely as she realizes what she did.

"Shut up!" Emily silences her. "How is my face, is it bruised?!"

"Your face is fine," I tell her, my voice dry. "But I'd put a bag over that personality."

Emily just shoots me a glare and stands up. "Jordan, get my bag. I don't want to be around these bitches—who are clearly OFF THEIR MEDS—any longer!"

"But, Emily, we can't let them get away with this!" Jordan insists, grabbing Emily's bag off the floor.

Emily looks between Jordan, Taylor, and I, shaking her head and putting her bag on her shoulder.

"It's not even worth it anymore."

She struts toward the exit, Jordan following close behind her. Both of them are still clearly angry, but apparently have decided to accept their fate for today.

Taylor and I watch them leave then sit back down.

"Well, I think I've had enough excitement for today," I announce, slumping in my chair between Sin and Skylar.

"This is such a great day," Aubrey says, beaming. "I need to capture this moment. Haven, smile!"

She pulls out her phone and I laugh as she points her camera in my direction and takes a picture.

She looks at it and says, "Oh, this is a good one. One more!"

She takes a few more pictures of me, and then the group, and even takes a selfie of all of us.

"Are you just about done?" Beckett finally asks her as she takes the hundredth photo.

"I'm just reveling in the moment!" she defends, but puts her camera away. "Haven just slayed the beast and got the B-Plus Barbie off our backs."

"For now," I add.

"I don't know," she replies, tilting her head. "She seemed like she wanted to be done with you. And regardless of Emily, it's senior year! And we never take enough pictures together. We should really work on that, especially when we go to Lake Tahoe this weekend."

Sin speaks up. "I agree. We should take more pictures."

I look over at him, still sitting quietly on my left, and I feel a soft smile stretch across my face. I remember when Sin showed me the room full of all the pictures his mom took, and I know how much he probably values photography.

"I have a camera at home," I tell them. "I'm a shit photographer, but I agree we should take more pictures. If I bring it on the trip this weekend, will you be our designated photo-taker?" I ask Aubrey.

She smiles even wider. "Hell yeah! I love shit like that. Definitely bring it."

The bell rings, signaling us to our next class. I scarf down the rest of my lunch on the way to Lit class.

After sitting through more poetry, this time Shakespeare's sonnets, Sin and I sit out by my favorite Willow tree for both our calculus class and my free period—which he stays with me for, ditching his own class after claiming he was would be too bored in history.

The bell ending seventh period rings, and I stand to leave, dusting off my skirt and grabbing my book bag. Sin watches me as I do this, and I suddenly feel a little self-conscious.

"It's probably not a great idea to sit on the ground in this skirt," I comment with a laugh. "I guess this outfit has failed me in many ways today."

Sin lets out a huff of air and I see him look at my body unapologetically as he stands up as well.

"Believe me, that outfit is not failing you."

I blush, and suddenly the memory of our almost-kiss on the paintball course comes rushing back to me.

"Come on," Sin says suavely, putting his hand on my back. "We better go to class."

Sin walks with me to my class, Botany, which I happen to have with Peyton.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the flirtatious back and forth between Sin and I the last few days, but I wonder how much of it is real.

Taylor's comment about the boys rings in my ears every now and then, saying how most of the guys only ever have flings and fool around with a girl for a while, then get tired of her. I also remember myself swearing to Taylor that I had no intentions of messing around with anyone in our friend group.

A large enough part of me knows Sin and I have a real connection, with me knowing about his parents and having enough of his trust to steadily learn more, and him knowing so much about the situation with my ex and some of the secrets I've kept from my parents. That part of me is usually loud enough for me to feel like if anything happened with Sin, it wouldn't be some stupid fling.

But sometimes, I have doubts. I don't even know Sin's job. He doesn't even know my real name. How much of a connection could we really have if we don't know basic stuff about each other? Plus, Sin is such a complicated guy. He's hard for me to read sometimes, even if we've been getting along really well for the most part lately. He might not even be interested.

Sometimes I wonder, though, if I just have trust issues after being with Jared. That guy was so nice and caring at the beginning, and then turned into some kind of horrible monster once he got his hooks in deep enough. I often think I can't just go back to normal. Do I just have trust issues? Am I overthinking this?

"Hey, Ave!" Peyton greets me when I get to class, pulling me from my thoughts. I sit next to him as usual, smiling as I open my book. He looks at me a little closer, squinting, and says, "You have grass or something in your hair."

"Oh, thanks." I laugh and pull a little piece of grass or part of a willow branch from my hair. It must have gotten stuck when I was laying on the ground outside.

I look at my phone and suddenly think of Ethan. I texted him earlier, and got no response.

"Hey, Peyton," I get his attention. "You said you had homeroom with my brother, right?"

"Yeah, Ethan Walker, right? He's in my homeroom. Why do you ask?" he shifts in his desk to turn toward me.

"Um, well, has he been in class the past few days?" I tentatively ask.

"Well," Peyton scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. "He was there this morning, but... I didn't see him yesterday, and he was a no-show most of last week, too, I think."

My stomach drops.

Ethan has been cutting class, and he looks like he's barely slept since last time I saw him. The drinking at the casino, the gambling, lying about the soccer team, not coming home... I have no idea what's going on with him.

I remember my last theory of him having a gambling addiction. Could that actually be true? He drunkenly admitted that he had a problem, and I'm not stupid. I know he's been back to that casino since I caught him there last time.

I'm officially really worried about him.

Peyton seems to notice my concern, because he spends the next hour trying to cheer me up. Sadly, though, his best pick up lines and truly degrading jokes comparing our teacher's chin to a butt do nothing to take my mind off my brother.

Luckily, I'm still banned from volleyball practice until my wrist is 100% healed, so I go straight to Ethan's locker after the last bell rings.

He stops before getting to his locker, sighing when he sees me waiting for him.

"Haven, please don't start with me," he says before I can start. "I'm exhausted. I don't have the energy to deal with you right now."

"Wow, what a warm welcome from the brother I haven't seen in days," I say sarcastically. "I'm just here to offer you a ride home."

He glances over to see if I'm serious, but does a double take. He looks me over, then scrunches his face in disgust.

"What the hell are you wearing??" he asks, stepping back. "Are you going to school or working the corner?"

I roll my eyes. "You wanna comment on what I'm wearing?"

I look down at his frumpy, wrinkled button up and jeans, which I can tell have been worn for more than a day.

"Let me drive you home," I say. "God knows you could use a shower."

He gives in and follows me out to the parking lot and to our car. He gets in the passenger seat and I tell him, "You mind if we stop for coffee first?"

"That's the first good idea you've had in a while, sis."

We drive through and get coffee on the way home, and once we both have a few sips in us, Ethan finally speaks up.

"I'm sorry I've been so.. rude or whatever lately," he surprises me by saying. He looks out the window as he talks. "It's not personal. I'm just in a bad mood."

"Seems like you've been in a bad mood for a while now."

He signs loudly. "I've just been, you know, going through some stuff."

I look out the window at the road and think of a better way to approach him.

"Do you remember when we were kids, and we used spend the night in that treehouse back in Charlotte?" I ask him.

"God, yeah," Ethan laughs. "We would steal Cheetos and grapes from the kitchen and lock ourselves up there for hours on end."

"Do you remember when Dad tried to come up there with us and ended up falling through the floor?"

We both laugh out loud, filling the car with the lovely warm sound.

"Yeah, and then he spent days rebuilding it, just for it to burn down later that same summer," Ethan recalls.

We laugh harder this time, my cheeks warming.

"You know, we used to talk about everything with each other back then." I look over at him and he flicks his eyes over to meet mine. "If something is going on, you know you can always talk to me, Ethan."

He nods, looking down at his coffee in his hands.

"It's just hard admitting you have a problem, you know," he says. "Especially to Mom and Dad. I mean, you know better than anyone that they have always been so critical of everything we do."

Normally, I'd say he was absolutely right. And honestly, Dad still is. But he's hardly around enough to pass judgement anymore. Mom, though, has been incredibly understanding and even encouraging of whatever I want to do lately.

Our conversation this morning replays in my mind, about how she wants me to be happy, and I wonder if she would feel the same about Ethan's new gambling tendencies.

"Well, consider this your judgement-free zone," I tell him. "Feel free to admit anything you want."

"Okay, well I don't think it's a secret what I've been doing," he says bluntly. "I found Greystone's casino right after we moved here. One of my friends works there, and he invited me to play sometimes. I just..."

Silence fills the car now, the warm feeling of laughter having faded away.

"I just couldn't stop once I got started. I lost all the college money Grandma left me, so quick. I figured I'd call it quits after that and just take the L, you know? Accept that I fucked up and move on."

"Well, why didn't you? Why didn't you just stop going?" I ask, trying to understand but still totally confused.

I can't believe Ethan lost all his college money. That was thousands of dollars. What the hell has he gotten himself into?

"I tried! But these guys... the guys that work in this place know how to get in your freaking head. They convinced me I could make my money back. Not just that, they loaned me money so I could try and get my money back, which... isn't working out so far."

"Who the fuck are these guys?" I ask, getting angry. "These skeevy casino guys convinced you to borrow money from them? Who do they think they are? It's one thing to work in that sketchy ass casino. It's another thing to prey on the guys that come in there and fuck with their lives!"

Who are these "friends" of Ethan's that work at this sketchy casino and convinced him to borrow money from them? Borrowing money is never a good idea, especially with the large amount of money I'm assuming he ended up taking from these guys.

And I have a feeling these guys won't take it lightly if and when Ethan can't pay them back on time.

"Just calm down, okay? Please. They're just fucked up people. Everyone associated with this place is dirty. I've met drug lords, pimps, gangsters, all kinds of criminals. The people that work there are just as horrible as the customers. That's why I didn't like you picking me up the other day, and why I never really loved you working there. I don't want you getting mixed up with anyone involved with that place."

"Believe me, I want nothing to do with any of those assholes," I assure him.

I hate all of those people, and despite my curiosity, now I'm not sure I even want to know anything else about this damned casino at Lumiere's.

"Well, how much money do you need?" I ask him. "I still have Grandma's money and I have a bunch saved up from working here and back in Char-"

"No, no, no, Haven, I am not taking your money. I will fix my own problems, Thank you very much. I'm a big boy and I can take care of myself."

"But these guys aren't just going to let you have that money, Ethan. They're going to, I don't know, beat you up or steal our car or some shit!"

"Don't you think I know that?" he asks. "They've already been threatening me and calling me all the time. That's why I've been AWOL lately. I've been trying to figure this shit out."

I pout, but I accept that he won't take my help, at least not yet. It took a lot for him just to talk to me, so I should probably just consider this a win.

"I'm just glad you finally told someone," I tell him. "I've been worried about you, Ethan."

He smiles and nudges me hard.

"Thanks for talking with me, Braya," he tells me, then catches himself. "Sorry, I mean Haven."

I shrug. "It's no big deal if you slip up when it's just us. It's no different than everyone calling me Bee."

"I've always liked Haven better, if I'm being totally honest," he says. "Braya is just too unique, you know? It's like Mom and Dad couldn't decide between Brie and Maya and just said 'fuck it, let's put them together.'"

I laugh, nodding. "That was probably their exact thought process."

"You should probably just stick with Haven, huh?"

I nod. "Yeah, I think I will."

I pull into our driveway and park the car, glad to have my brother here for once.

These heeled boots lasted fine all day, but feet are starting to hurt, so I can't wait to get upstairs and take them off. I'm counting my blessings because I thankfully don't have to work tonight.

Tomorrow, I have to work the dinner shift, but today, I'm off the hook. Thank God.

I'm so pissed about the situation underneath Lumiere's I can't even think about going in there to work.

"Hey, Haven," Ethan stops me before we go inside. "Don't mention this to anyone, okay? Like anyone, anyone."

I smile at him. Who would I even tell?

"Your secret is safe with me."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

6.3K 55 35
June's senior year in high school starts probably the worst way possible - her first boyfriend and supposedly love of her life cheats on her and dump...
4.7K 313 50
Trapped in more ways then one. All this pain and sadness due to two very bored men. Taylor was struggling enough in life, the friends who turned her...
228 0 40
17 year old Callie is at her lowest point. Alone and depressed most of the summer, she feels fat and ugly-and school starts Monday. Her mother Michel...
15.3K 563 43
When her mom gets arrested for a crime she committed, 17-year-old Xara is forced to leave her life behind and move to London to live with her dad. St...