The Voyage of Dawn's Treader

By AlessaAuditore

~3rd Story in the Dawn Pevensie Series~ After staying with their irritating and selfish cousin, Eustace, whil... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 7

1.1K 25 7
By AlessaAuditore

The ship was alive with action, Eustace soaring alongside the ship at his leisure. Lucy and Dawn stood at the back of the ship on a sort of blacony off of Caspian's study. Lucy pointed out excited towards the blue depths below as a splash broke through the surface. To their delight it was a woman made of water, a mermaid. At first she appeared to be waving and both Dawn and Lucy raised their hands to return the gesture but they quickly noticed that the mermaid was trying to convey another message. Waving her hand frantically at them while mouthing desprately, unable to speak above water, "don't go! Don't go!"

What could have frightened her so much to warn them away?

Lucy and Dawn shared a nervous look. Before Dawn quickly fled the balcony in search of Caspian and Edmund. She found them on deck, it was much quieter now as most of the men were below deck, being forced to row the ship to continue moving as there was no more wind currents and Dawn was no longer being allowed to put so much energy and effort into just moving the ship, which drained her quickly. Caspian forbid it.

"The wind has left," stated Drinian as Dawn came to a halt at her older twin's side. Edmund noticed that she was nervously biting her lip, a habit she had picked up when she was extremely worried about something, it didn't happen often.

He spared her another nervous glance before returning his gaze to Drinian, "so how do we get to Ramando's island now, then?"

"My guess is somethin' doesn't want us to get there," spoke Drinian hauntingly as he passed Edmund and Caspian and walked up towards the wheel of the ship.

"The men can't go on for much longer like this," said Dawn, refaining from mentioning the mermaid, it seemed Drinian might be right.

"She's right, they can't. Especially with so little food," agreed Ed.

"I know," sighed Caspian bring a hand to his head from the stress of the situation, "trust me. I know."

Drinian who had just left them and was walking passed several of the men and listened in as one exclaimed, "if I get any hungrier, I'm gonna eat that dragon!"

Dawn, Caspian and Edmund all glanced up as Eustace stopped in mid air and glowered down at the man. Reep who had stuck close to Eustace must have said somthing because Eustace calmed down and turned away from the ship again.

Drinian approached them and commented, "if we don't find land by tonight, they might very well eat hi-!!"

A giant lurch shot everyone sprawling across the deck, one sailor even falling through the hatch leading down into the lower deck with a yell. Everyone quickly collected themselves and darted to their feet in alarm.

"What did we hit?!" inquired Caspian as he helped Drinian.

Dawn and Edmund leaned over the edge to see ahead of the ship better and what they saw made them beam happily.

"Eustace!" cried Dawn proudly.

"That's brilliant!" complimented Edmund.

Eustace had wrapped his long, golden tale around the head of the ship and was pulling it forward through the water at top speed with strong beats of his large wings.

Reepicheep climbed down Eustace's back and tail and onto the dragon head of the ship and unsheated his sword with a flourish and a loud exlcaim of "onward ho!"

The crew all broke out in loud cheers.

"Just imagine if someone saw this from a distance," spoke Dawn with a smirk.

"What do you mean, your majesty?" asked Drinian curiously.

"Well how often do you see a dragon pulling a ship?!"

A short while later in Caspian's study, Caspian sat at his table studying the swords of the lost Lords while Edmund and Dawn lounged out on the small balcony. Edmund face Caspian while Dawn kept a look out for any more signs like the one from the mermaid, but saw nothing.

"We can not even be sure that the other Lords even made it to Ramando's Island," spoke Caspian in defeat, surpirsing Edmund and Dawn. They had never heard him speaking in an way that had them believe he was giving up before.

Dawn and Edmund enter the study and while Ed shut he balcony doors, Dawn approached Caspian. He didn't look up at her just continued to stare at the swords.

She gripped his face firmly in her hands and forced him to look at her, "we need to have hope. Even if that is all we have, it's gotten us through worse things in the past." She placed a soft peck on his lips before heading out onto deck as the ship began to slow, meaning Eustace had let go, meaning they had arrived.

Caspian had darted up onto his feet and followed her out, grabbing a sword and Edmund collecting the other two.

Once again they boarded the long boats and head for the lush island that lay before them where they would hopefully find the answer to their problems at last.

As they landed on the edge of the island, they docked in a small cove which held a small thin passage way that led upwards. The island went up far above them and it was quickly realised that there was a long trek ahead of them.

As they drew in deeper into the island's landscape it became darker, more enclosed. They crossed an old stone bridge which had moss covered and cracked griffins on the sides. Below was a thin waterfall that cascaded down far below. Edmund led the way, lighting up their path with his torch. They came upon a giant tree that had grown so large and far it made an arch and even more vines swormed the top of it.

Just inside they could see a long table, laiden with what appeared to be food.

Edmund entered the area where the table sat. Followed shortly by everyone else. He shone his light over the laviously laid out table as they all stared at it suspiciously. It was covered in much extravagent food, golden plates and goblets lined the sides, large platters filled the middle.

The crew approached it eagerly, all too hungry to think straight or question the food's prescence but Drinian called them back.

They then turned their attention to the other end of the table, furthest from them. What appeared to be three figures frozen and completely wrapped in some type of vine or thorn bush. Caspian realised what they were first and quickly stepped infront of Dawn shielding her as he released his blade and held it out. Lucy gave a gasp of horror before also unsheathing the Lord's sword Edmund had given her. Edmund followed suit and Dawn already had her staff stretched forward cautiously.

Against Caspian's wishes, Dawn approached the elderly men first. Though the two Kings that remained close to her seemed to ease up when they noticed there was no reactions come from any of the three men.

"Caspian," called Dawn pointing to the hand of the middle man which she had seen first. Caspian stretched out his sword and saw what she was pointing at, "Lord Revilian." He looked to the next Lord, the on his left, "Lord Mavramorn."

Lucy reached out with her hand and brushed back some of the hair that blocked the face of the third Lord, "Lord Argoz," confirmed Caspian.

She then gave a frightened gasp and jumped back. Caspian leaned in, "he's breathing."

"He appears to be under a spell, as though in sleep, no sense of time passing. Yet I feel no darkness from this magic, yet that does not mean it means no harm. Not all harmful magic is dark," explained Dawn as she studied them all closely, feeling the powerful magic that was flowing around the three elderly men, their stragily grey hair seeming to have grown at fast pace while in sleep. They appeared to be unharmed. There also seemed to be a connection to the Deep Magic flowing around this whole clearing which frustrated her a little, why was this place so important to be so well connected to the Deep Magic, similar to that of the Stone Table.

"So they are all alive? They're under a spell?" confirmed Edmund.

It was hard to tell what wasn't under a spell here, the amount of magic present was mindblowing, though Dawn knew that the others couldn't feel it like she could. They all probably just had a strange feeling that prickled at the back of their minds, having their hair stand on end by the unknown.

Caspian glanced around them, making several quick assumptions, he shot around to see the crew beginning to dig into the wide variety of food, "It's the food!" Any food in hand was immediately dropped while sailors covered their mouths' in shock. Though Dawn was sure it wasn't quite that simple.

"Hey!" spoke up Edmund before Dawn could speak, "the stone knife! This is Aslan's Table!" That explained the amount of magic that surrounded it. They immediately went in search of the other swords. Edmund retireved one, Caspian another and Dawn another. The six swords were then laid out going in a circlular pile by the three Pevensies and Caspian.

"We're still missing the last one," muttered Dawn, biting her lip.

"She's right, that's only six," spoke Edmund, staring across at Caspian and Dawn.

"Still missing one.." trailed off Caspian sorrowfully. Dawn took hold of his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. They were so close.

The six swords began to glow a bright blue.

"Look!" exclaimed Lucy as she gazed up into the sky, a bright blue light descending towards them.

"The star!" said Dawn in awe as it reached the ground, taking the form of the most beautiful woman Dawn had ever seen. Hair as white as snow, a dress as a pale as moonlight and skin as clear and smooth as crystal. Her features were soft and a sweet smile was present on her face as she gazed around at them. A misty blue glow seeming to envelope around her at all times.

"Travelers of Narnia," she greeted, "welcome."

The crew all fell into low one kneed bows.

"Arise," she commanded softly before looking at them all with a gentle gaze, "are you not all hungry?"

"Who are you?" asked Edmund, completely star-struck. Pun intended, I might add.

"I am Lilliandil," she replied walking closer to him, "I am your guide."

Edmund, Caspian, Lucy and Dawn all approached her.

"You're a star," spoke Caspian, more a statement then question. She pulled her eyes from Edmund who seemed just as amazed by him as he did of her. When she finally tore her gaze from Edmund to Caspian she gave a small nod. Her eyes darted between Caspian and Dawn as though seeing something that only she could see, a wide smile spreading across her face.

"You are most beautiful," complimented Edmund.

Dawn nervously glanced up at Caspian, expecting him also to be staring at the star in infatuation but was pleasantly surprised to see his loving gaze directed at her.

"Not at beautiful as you," whispered Caspian in her ear. He knew exactly how to reassure her of his love and Dawn couldn't help but feel quilty over doubting the faithfulness of his heart.

"If it is a distraction for you, I can change form," exclaimed Lilliandil but this was immediately shot down by Edmund and most of the crew. Dawn noticed that Drinian and Rhince didn't seem as taken by her either, much the same as Caspian. Dawn and Lucy shared an eye roll at Edmund's reaction.

"Please," spoke Lilliandil, once again addressing the crew, "the food is for you." She raised her arms gracefully and the candles all along the table lit up with a bright swirl of red and orange. Dawn lavished in the feeling of more magic entering her surroundings.

"There is room for all at Aslan's table. Always. Help yourselves."

The sailors didn't need telling twice.

"Wait!" called Edmund suddenly, "what happened to them?" He gestured to the three Lords behind him.

"These men were half mad by the time they reached our shores. They were threatening violence upon each other."

Dawn nodded her head in understanding, "of course," she said gaining everyone's attention with curious looks except for Lilliandil who smiled at her sweetly. Dawn blushed realising she had spoken alloud, "Violence is forbidden at Aslan's Table."

"Correct, my Lady, so they were sent to sleep," continued Lilliandil.

"Will they ever wake?" wondered Lucy.

Lilliandil turned to her next, "when all is put right."

She then addressed the four royals, "come. There is little time." She glided into the trees and Caspian, Dawn, Lucy and Edmund made no hesitation in following after her.

Her bright blue glow led them through the dark forest to a stone platform that looked out across the water, "the Magician, Coriakin told you of Dark Island?"

Caspian took Dawn's hand and kept her close while Lucy stood next to her and Edmund appeared on Lilliandil's other side. "Yes," answered Caspian. 

Not too far across the water, a little too close for comfort, surrounded by a dark fog was a black island with an omnious green glow errupting from it like green magma breaking through rock.

"Before long, the evil will be unstoppable."

Caspian looked to the Star, "Coriakin said, to break the spell we had to lay the seven swords on Aslan's table."

"He speaks the truth," she said looking back at the Island that caused all this.

Edmund then spoke, "but we only found six. Do you know where the seventh is?"

Raising a delicate hand, Lilliandil pointed out across the water. Right at Dark Island.

"In there. You will need great courage." There was no doubt of that.

Just as she finished speaking Dawn gave a loud gasp and collapsed with a sharp ear-piercing scream, right into Caspian.

"Dawn!" exclaimed Caspian worriedly as he held her.

"My head.. it.. it hurts.." she groaned, a dark glow was starting to surround her. Her body spasmed and flexed in unnatural positions as though fighting an internal battle. Lucy cringed away, retaining tears of horror at the pain her older sister was experiencing, her hand clasped over her mouth trying to remain silent.

Her cries echoed around them and Caspian worried that the crew might be abe to hear back at Aslan's table.

"What's happening?" asked Edmund desperately as he moved to help his sister but as he stretched out a hand to touch her head it rebounded back as though hitting a barrier. Caspian was having to grasp Dawn's wrists forcefully so as to restrain her from hitting against her own temple in search of relief.

"The Island sees her as a threat, it is trying to break down her mind, destroying her from the inside out," explained Lilliandil breathlessly as she also gazed down at the young Queen in worry.

"Will she be all right?" asked Lucy, she was shaking and there were silent tears trailing down her cheeks.

Just at that moment that dark glow seemed to be over powered by a blinding white one, as beautiful as the one that surrounded Lilliandil. Those present were forced to block their eyes, or just close them in Caspian's case as he refused to let go, as it became to much to bare. But the overwhelming feeling of warmth and love was undeniably Dawn's own magic, "her magic is fighting back. She is very strong, but the evil is growing. She can't fight it forever."

The light brgan to fade allowing them to gaze upon Dawn once more, her body had relaxed and gone limp, breathing heavily, her eyes half open. Caspian released his tight grip on Dawn's forearms and rubbed them softly, nervous that he may have hurt her.

Dawn stood with the help of Caspian, the white glow had returned back inside of her completely by the time she was fully back on her feet. She sent them all a reassuring smile, unable to form words just yet, but it didn't do much good. 

"Now waste no time," advised Lilliandil.

"I hope we meet again," spoke Edmund softly. Seeing the affection in Edmund's eyes, Dawn smiled though she spotted Lucy out of the corner of her eye giving another fond eye roll.

Lilliandil gave a shy smile in Edmund's direction, "goodbye." And with that last word, she faded back into her blue star form and rose high up into the sky.

"Let us hurry!" exclaimed Caspian strongly, leading Dawn along by the hand back through the trees to where they had left the crew.

Back aboard the ship, they were preparing for the worst of what they could face in this island of the unknown.

Dawn sat nervously in her quarters alone. With a heavy sigh she fell backwards onto her bed and covered her face with her arm, thinking ver the painful experience that she could barely remember that had only happened a meer hour ago.

"My queen."

Shooting back up in shock, Dawn saw Lilliandil standing before her. Her appearance just as fare as when Dawn had first laid eyes upon her.

"Lilliandil, how did you get here?" As she finished speaking, Dawn realized it was quite a stupid question to ask a star. 

"I had to speak with you," spoke the Star completely avoiding her question.

"Alright," said Dawn gesturing for her to sit next to her, which the Star did.

"I have much to say, much to ask," began Lilliandil, "but so little time."

"We have some time," comforted Dawn even though they both knew that this wasn't quite true, they could arrive at any moment.

"You must not return to England."

"What?!"Out of all the things she expected Lilliandil to wish to discuss, this was the furthest possibilty from her mind. Dawn was quite shocked not just by Lilliandil knowing of her world but by the actual statement. Not return to England?! She hadn't really thought of it but still.

"You will not survive!" exclaimed Lilliandil desperately.

"I know there is a war on but-"

"I'm not talking of that," she said with a sad sigh, "your magic. Once you reach eighteen, your powers will expand reaching your full power. You wnet through this before year ago on your first eighteenth but nowhere near as strong, you kept that power and that made you stronger, it continued when returned to Narnia a second time. And if you return to England on your eighteen your magic will spike and double."

"I still don't understand," said Dawn, "if I remain in Narnia that will still happen. Why can't it happen in England?"

"Because if you remain past the sunset of day of your eighteenth, your magic will be stripped from you. Killing you."

"Killing me?!"

"Yes, there is no magic in your world, it is amazing that you have survived as long as you have."

Dawn stared down at her hands in her lap, "so I can return to England but not passed my eighteenth birthday."

"That is correct."

"Your magic is what keeps you alive. When you and your twin, Edmund," Dawn noticed a small smile on her face at his name, "were conceived by your mother, you were to weak. When you were born, you were too small and were expected to not last the night. Aslan saw the good you would do, the people you would save and the love that would grow between you and a certain King. He gave you your magic. Stripping you of your magic is similar to taking all of the water from a human body, it can't survive without it."

"I understand."

Lilliandil took her hand, meeting Dawn's nervous gaze, "there is very little time but I must thank you. Many of the stars thank you. You are seen as a star upon the Earth by us. The light that shines within you is as bright as any star and we see that."

"Thank you," smiled Dawn feeling a bit reassured now.

"I also understand that you have question for me?"

It took Dawn a moment to realise what she was talking about, "oh, yes! All those years ago, when we were first in Narnia. I willed the stars to dance for Aslan and I, I hope I did not hurt anyone or cause any harm."

"No, on the contrary we loved it. You forced us to do nothing, you freed us. We must always stay where we are, ever watching and shining. You allowed us to move freely for a time, something we are very thankful for, not all stars are like myself and can come to land," she explained and Dawn felt a freat load being lifted from her shoulders.

"There is something else," spoke Lilliandil as she got to her feet.

"Yes?" asked Dawn also rising off the bed.

"This much power that you will possess after you eighteenth will cause your aging to slow."

"How slow?" she wondered.

"You shall most likely live to be about two or three hundred."

"Wow... but what of Caspian?!"

Lilliandil smiled at her kindly, "there is a magical bond that connects you. As though your souls are one. As long as you live so will he. Once your aging begins to slow, his will follow."

Dawn nodded gratefully, "Thank you Lilliandil. I hope this isn't the last time we meet."

"I also hope that," she said, she placed a kiss upon Dawn's forehead before disappearing out a window and back into the sky above.

The whole crew stood on deck.

Dawn stood next to her twin brother, clutching to his hand for dear life though her face remained perfectly calm, while on the inside she was screaming. Lucy stood to her other side, holding her arm, slightly shaking though also hiding her fear. Caspian stood behind Dawn his hands on her shoulders, his fingers drawing soothing patterns on her skin. Her hair was pulled up on two braids across he top of her head along with a silver diadem giving him full access to her neck.

She had changed into green robes with tight brown breeches and brown leather boots. A pair of brown leather braces and a brown leather matching corset were also in place. She had two golden, magical daggers strapped to her hips and her staff was attached to her back by its' usual straps.

"What do you think's in there?" asked Tavros.

"Our worst nightmares," spoke up Edmund.

A haunting pause followed before Caspian added, "our darkest wishes."

His hands on Dawn's neck stopped their movements and tightened their hold for a moment. Dawn became very sensitive to the feeling of his hot breath on her neck as he looked down at her. She suddenly felt slighly nervous as the dream of Caspian from only nights ago forced its' way to the front of her mind but she pushed it back once more. That wasn't her Caspian. He had been forceful and rough, while her real Caspian was respectful, understanding, kind and, well... rough when he wanted to be, but never in that way in which it would hurt or scare her.

"Pure evil," summed up Drinian and Dawn couldn't agree with him more.

"Tavros," called Caspian, "unlock the armory."

The Minotaur gave a respectful nod before turning away with a statement of, "my lord".

Drinian approached the railing and gazed down at the crewmen below, "Archers! Prepare youselves!"

While the crew jumped into action and more orders were called out, Caspian looked down at the three Pevensie siblings, "lets get ready." Dawn left with Lucy to help her as she was already prepared.

In Lucy and Gale's quarters, Gale was sat off to the side watching the two older girls while they made their preperations for a possible battle.

"When I grow up," said Gale, "I want to be just like you."

The two older girls looked up into the mirror to find Gale looking at them with a small smile. Lucy was the first one to turn around, walking and sitting next to the little girl.

"When you grow up," she spoke, "you should be just like you."

Dawn leaned back against the desk and smiled at them fondly. Lucy gave Gale a one armed hug before gazing off in worry. Dawn's smile fell at the sadness in her sister's eyes. She walked over carefully and pulled both girls into a warm hug which they all needed.

Caspian and Edmund were also gearing up into their armour in Dawn's, well actually Caspian's, quarters. Caspian had pulled half his long, dark hair back out of his face and was adjusting his armour while Edmund was just getting into his.

"In case we don't get through, well, whatever this is. I want you to know that I think of you as my brother," stated Caspian looking at Edmund with a serious gaze.

"Me too." spoke Edmund.

Caspian went around, finished, to help Edmund with his armour, it was different to the armour Ed was used to.

"You gave up your sword," exclaimed Caspian as he fixed Ed's armour.

Caspian strolled away while Edmund buckled the belt around his stomach, "wasn't mine to keep."

"Use this."

Turning around, Edmund saw Caspian standing before him holding out Rhindon to him.

"But it's-"

"Peter would want you to have it," said Caspian.

Edmund grasped it tightly and smiled in thanks, "I am sorry, Caspian. For the things I said before."

Caspian waved him off as he strapped another sword around his waist, "Ed, I understand. It was simply temptation and fear acting out from the mist. You had no control. Either did I."

"It's just," Edmund sighed collapsing on a nearby chair, "I didn't get on well with my family growing up. I lied. Alot. Made bad decisions and made fun of Lucy. But Dawn was always there for me, helping me, trying to make me a better person and eventually she did, with Narnia's help."

By now Caspian had also taken a seat across from him and gestured for him to continue.

"I always knew I would have to give up Dawn one day. That she would fall in love, get married and have kids. Just never thought it would be so soon. I got lucky during the Golden Age, she never looked twice at any suitors then and I thought it could just be our family forever."

"She is still your sister, Edmund," spoke Caspian.

Edmund nodded sadly not meeting his eyes, "but by her choosing to stay. With you. It means I won't get to see her again. I won't see her get married. I won't even get to see her raise her kids," he then looked up at Caspian and with a small smile added, "your kids."

"Let's not think on that now Edmund, just know that I love your sister more than anything in this world."

"I know and that's why I'm letting her go. She belongs here. With you."

"Thank you, Edmund. Brother."

"I always wanted a brother that wasn't as prattish as Peter."

The tension was gone and they were brothers again and the overhanging fear of their possible deaths was forgotten for a few moments as they laughed together, like there were no problems at all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 72 22
- FAN FIC: Narnia - Lucy is eighteen. Eighteen and bored of normal life. But she and her three siblings have a secret. They are high Kings and Queens...
507K 11.2K 20
After tragedy struck Lauren's life she wished for something better. Could her cousins Lucy and Ed, the magical land of Narnia, an adventure and a han...
25.9K 626 15
[Book one of three] From the darkest night in history, she was created by the mighty Aslan, destined to be the rightful queen of Narnia. But because...
15.4K 271 15
Around a year after they have returned from Narnia Edmund falls ill and the doctors believe they cannot save them. A message from Aslan reaches the P...