𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔 ❪...

By inkrays

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ .ೃ࿐ 𝑺𝑻𝑨𝑹𝑽𝑬𝑫 𝑶𝑭 𝒀𝑶𝑼 ! ── 𝘩𝘢𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘮𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳'𝘴 𝘴𝘶𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘥... More

Introduction
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
feedback
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35

9

400 28 67
By inkrays

My phone vibrates next to the book I'm reading in the library. 

I came to the library straight after my second and last lecture of the day, needing to relax in a silent place, a place capable of trapping my thoughts, at least temporarily, through the concentration of reading a book. 

I'm interrupted again by the vibration of my phone.

I pick it up, observing the time: 4:28 pm. I went to the library just after one. I've been here much longer than I think. Kori's message appears on the screen. 

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Kori

Hey, Rachel. I'm heading back to the dorm now.

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

My eyes flit over the message, not really focusing on the words.

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Kori

Where are you?

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

I sigh, closing my book, and placing it in my backpack. Luckily I don't need to make any contact with the librarian since this is my own book I bought from home.

I reluctantly answer her.

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

You

I'm in the library. I'm going to the dorm now. See you there.

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

I call the elevator, hearing a ping as I look up again, the doors wide open for me to enter. I press the button to floor six, soon facing the red door of my dorm. I fish my keys out of my pocket, opening the door, to see Kori lying on the couch, her eyes darting to me as she hears me enter. 

''Hey!'' She smiles, running her hands through her long red hair, sitting up, as I dump my backpack on the floor. 

''Where's everyone else?'' I ask, sitting beside her. 

''Not sure, but I sent a message on the group chat.'' 

''Okay.'' Our phone's vibrate in unison. ''That's probably them.'' 

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Garfield

Getting pizza with Vic. What do you want?  

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

Kori types back and her message pops up on my phone for me to see.

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Kori 

Hawaiian pizza. And DON'T say ew. 

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Garfield

Um... yuck. Anyway, what does everyone else want? 

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Richard

I'm with Wally at the moment, I'll be back in an hour, get me whatever. 

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

Garfield

K, dude. And for you, Rach?

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

I nervously pull at a strand of my hair. Kori notices my anxiety. 

''What's wrong, Rachel?'' 

''Just not hungry,'' I lie, the stupid excuse slipping off my tongue. My fingers tap back a response.

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

You

Not hungry. I ate just now.

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

If Kori knows I'm lying, she doesn't show it. Instead, she lets her head fall back, the locks of her hair falling over the cushions, her eyes closed. 

''Tiring day?'' I ask. 

Kori's mouth opens slightly. 

''I guess.'' She sighs, still keeping her eyes closed.

A silence overcomes us for a few seconds, very bizarre since Kori is almost never quiet: she always knows what to say and when to say it, but now her mouth stays shut, and I decide to speak.

''What are you thinking about?'' 

A few seconds pass before Kori answers.

''I'm thinking about us, Rachel.'' A smile creeps onto her face, two dimples appearing on her cheeks. ''When we were kids, you know?'' 

''Life was so simple back then.'' 

It was very simple, despite how complicated I thought my life was at that time. Yes, maybe my home life was a bit difficult, especially in terms of finances, but my mother and I pulled through, with the help of Kori and her family when I opened up to her about what had happened. 

My mother lost her job when I was about ten and struggled to find another for a while until Kori's mother offered her job at the restaurant her family owned, and had owned throughout generations. 

That's why I'm so thankful for Kori. She helps me, supports me, shows me how there is hope in even the most negative things. 

Without knowing Kori, I might not have even seen the possibility to go to university, the chance to provide a better life for myself and my future family. 

I'm determined to not go through the same pain and suffering my mother had to endure since her teens. 

''How are your mother and father doing?'' I ask, trying to divert my thoughts to something else. 

''They are doing well,'' she says. ''They miss me of course,'' she laughs weakly, ''but they are really excited for my future.'' 

''What's going to happen to the restaurant?'' 

I deduce it must be going to Kori's younger brother, because Kori's older sister ran off years ago. The last time Kori saw her was when her sister was fifteen. 

My mother was also fifteen when she left home. 

But she didn't run away. 

She was disowned. 

My mother never told me why. 

''It's going to Ryan,'' she says, confirming my guess. ''The first one in Tamaran has been shut down though.'' 

Tamaran is the country where Kori's family were originally from. She moved when she was two years old to America. Tamaran is somewhere in the middle-east, and the original restaurant was there, first put in business by her great great grandparents. 

''Why's that?'' 

''Tamaran has become much more industrialised, and more people are going to the popular fast-food chains, putting the restaurant out of business.'' Her usual smile turns into a frown. 

''I'm sorry to hear that.''  

''At least there are still have two running.''

''Yeah.'' I nod, silence overcoming us again, until the door to the dorm flings open with Victor and Garfield holding stacks of pizzas.

''Who's ready to pizza party?'' he yells into the dorm, gesturing with his free hand to something outside in the corridor. ''We'll be eating in the rooftop garden.''

''Woohoo!'' Kori jumps up from the couch, grabbing my hand, as we make our way to the top floor. 

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter featuring a little bit more information about Rachel's deceased mother, and on Kori's homelife. Just a cool fact, Koriand'r actually has a brother called Ryand'r in the comics, so I just shortened both their names down for a more modern, earthly feel. Comment down your thoughts, especially on why you think Rachel's mother was disowned. I want to hear your ideas! Stay safe! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 99 17
𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐊𝐚𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐚𝐞𝐡𝐲𝐮𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐮𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐤 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 �...
2.4K 123 27
𝑰 𝒂𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒐𝒘. 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆 𝒄𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒔 𝒂𝒔 '𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒍'. 𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒈𝒐, 𝒊 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒆...
634 5 20
"𝘢 𝘣𝘪𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘸𝘦𝘢𝘱𝘰𝘯,𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦" "𝘸𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘬𝘦𝘱𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘳...
66.5K 1.9K 41
𝐀𝐭𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐮 𝐌𝐢𝐲𝐚... 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐝 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐫...