Second chance in love

By Bookworm2293

When Marcus O'Connor tells his best friend Vea Mathews that he was about to propose to his long-term girlfrie... More

Second chance in love
Second chance in love chapter 1
Second chance in love chapter 2
Second chance in love chapter 3
Second chance in love chapter 4
Second chance in love chapter 6
Second chance in love chapter 7
Second chance in love chapter 8
Second chance in love chapter 9
Second chance in love chapter 10
Second chance in love Chapter 11

Second chance in love chapter 5

2K 32 3
By Bookworm2293

Vea POV

When the taxi got to the daycare, I asked the driver to wait for me to fetch Mitch then we can proceed to the nearby cemetery.

I got out and saw the different drawings of kids posted on the walls of the daycare and one drawing made me look twice. It was a kiddie drawing of a woman in a black suit with her hair in a twisted bun holding a little girl in a pink Barbie dress with her hair in pigtails. They were both smiling and seemed happy walking near their house and car during a bright sunny day. But once you look at the clouds on the right side of the drawing you can see two angels looking down on the woman and child, these angels are a man and a woman. They were happily looking over the two and over all seemed like they were the guardian angels of the woman and child. I was so engrossed looking at the drawing that I didn't hear Mitch calling me.

"Do you like my drawing mama? I asked Lily if I can give it to real mom and dad so that they can see it from heaven, but she told me that it would be better for me to just show them instead of leaving it there. What do you think mama?" Mitch said

As she said this, I nearly teared up and saw the same reaction with Lily the owner of the daycare. She knew what happened to the real parents of Mitch, she asked me when Mitch kept differentiating mama from real mom.

Mitch was ten months old when she learned how to walk and talk. Her first words were mama and she was looking directly at me, she never lost the habit of calling me mama even if I was only her aunt. I guess it some ways it was her own way of substituting the void in her early life, I became her mama and she became my Mitch.

When she was born my sister called her Andie short for Andrea, but when they died I decided to call her Mitch in memory of my sister, this was also my way of never letting Mitch forget who her real parents were.

There were times that I ask myself if I did the right thing by introducing her to her real parents at an early age, seeing as she never really got the chance to spend much time with them much less know them without me saying anything. Some said that I should have waited until she could comprehend it, but I just couldn't. I can't betray the memories of Richard and Michelle by not introducing their child to them. She had the right to know who her real parents were, and understand that I was simply her second mama, after Michelle.

"I think Lily is right, we could show them and then we could just frame it at home so you can show it to other people once we have guests." I smiled at her.

As we got inside the taxi Mitch was really ecstatic to show her drawing to her mom and dad. Looking at her, I know I made the right decision of telling her early on that she had a full set of parents. After her parents' death I framed every picture of Richard, Michelle and Mitch that I could find, then I keep repeating to Mitch that the people in the picture was her and her parents. I guess now, even at only three years old she understood that those people were her real parents and that I was only her aunt who she refuses to call anything but mama.

There are times that I would feel sorry for Mitch, she never had the chance to meet her parents. They died in a car accident a month after she was born. Michelle just got the news that she was pregnant when I left, then when she was about to give birth she told me to go back, which I did. I only intended to have a short vacation to spend time with my sister, brother in law and newly born niece when that happened. I never knew that in their will I was made sole guardian of Mitch, I felt honored and relieved that I still have Mitch to call family.

Unfortunately my boyfriend at the time, Alex, didn't think that I should keep Mitch, said I should just give her up to her grandparents across the country or give her to foster care. I didn't agree and he made me choose between Mitch and him, obviously I chose the former. After that I never heard from him again, which made me believe that no guy would accept that fact that I have to take care of Mitch, because of this I kissed dating goodbye.

As we got to the cemetery I let Mitch show her drawing to her parents, after which she just asked me if she go around the cemetery and explore as she put it. I allowed her reminding her not to go beyond where I can't see her.

As I sat down near the resting place of my only sister, I brought up everything in my mind. I told her about raising Mitch on my own, seeing Marcus after a long time, the cases I was handling everything about my life at the moment. After that I felt better and cried a little after telling Michelle how much I miss her and how much I wish she was there to see Mitch growing up.

When we got home, I told Mitch to wash up before going to bed, seeing as we had dinner elsewhere. I studied the Thompson case in more detail, and prepared some questions to ask the witnesses. I purposely got myself tired so much that all I could do is sleep and not think about Marcus. I'll be seeing him in two days in court and I really don't want to think of him more that I need to. I have to be professional about this and think only of the case.

I just hope my heart would listen, for once in my life.

Marcus POV

"On May 5,1997, my client Oliver Jonathan Thompson met his future wife Ellie Reynolds at a club in Seattle. They talked and flirted and eventually started a relationship which then resulted to them getting married on May 7, 1999, two years after they met. Unfortunately the now, Mrs. Ellie Thompson met Oliver's long lost brother Orlando Jacob Thompson and began an extramarital affair with Orlando. Thus resulting to the end of Oliver's and Ellie's marriage on July 24, 2010.

As per investigation, Orlando and Ellie's relationship didn't last long and Ellie started dating the shipping magnate Apostolos Papadakis, who has been reported as someone who is possessive when it comes to his ladies. Again this relationship didn't last long and Ellie begged her former husband to take her back and start a new.

According to reports they were on their way to a reconciliation when the incident happened, Ellie was found stabbed to death by a kitchen knife inside her home on August 13, 2012. Her former husband, Oliver Thompson, was seen kneeling down beside her and was holding the knife that was proven to have been the murder weapon.

It is true that he was holding the murder weapon, but this does not prove that he was the one who stabbed his former wife. Please do not let the fact slip from your minds jury that it was also proven that they way he was holding the knife was by no means enough to provide the deep wounds the victim sustained.

Let us not be blinded by the exteriors of the case, we need to provide justice for the victim and we need to study this case without bias towards my client Oliver Thompson, thank you." I finished.

Opening speeches were my forte, this is the point wherein I have to remind the jury to not be biased with the things the media says. They have to reminded of the fact that my client is innocent until proven guilty.

When I looked them in the eye when I finished, I am guaranteed that I was able to remind them that there are still much things to uncover when it comes to this case. We are nowhere near finishing this case, this is not the easy case they were expecting wherein it was only a formalization of my client being sent to jail.i believe he is innocent, they way he talks about his wife was enough for me to realize he couldn't do this crime.

As I sat down, Vea stood up and started her speech. I could hardly concentrate with what she was talking about because I can't stop looking at her and they way she was dressed. She was wearing light make up, hair in a bun, navy blue suit with matching skirt above her knees, white inner blouse and black three inches heels. She is dressed in a way to intimidate whoever she was talking to, and well all I can say is she looks hot with the way she was dressed.

It was then where my associate knocked some sense into me, he not so gently tapped my shoulder, which reminded me that I was supposed to be listening to the opening remarks of Vea. Well, if this is how the whole trial is going to be I am certain I am in deep trouble when it comes to my professionalism.

"The truth in this case is that, Oliver Thompson was seen holding the murder weapon. Why would he be holding it if he didn't do the crime.

It has also been noted that after the divorce was finalized on July 2010, there were reports coming from Ellie Reynolds that her former husband has been following her and she was granted a restraining order that Oliver Thompson has to stay at least 300 feet away from Ms. Reynolds. Him being in her apartment during the crime is in direct violation of the restraining order in the first place.

Let us not forget that his motives in this matter could be a vendetta against his former wife who met someone else who can make her happier. According to her family she is treated well and is very happy with her current partner Mr. Papadakis, so a reconciliation with her former husband is quite absurd. Let us be reminded of the true facts of this case. Ellie divorced her husband for domestic violence, she has a restraining order against him and she is in better hands now with her new partner. The true fact is that Oliver Thompson was seen holding the murder weapon resulting to the death of his former wife, this is a typical crime of passion case. He can't stand that Ellie Reynolds is happy with a new love that can treat her right." Vea finished

All I can say is that whatever bearing my speech had was now lost with hers being a really strong one. They have the restraining order against Oliver, and the domestic violence again against my client. Those were two strong points to pin Oliver down and what do I have, a simple fact of him not having enough force to kill his wife with the way he was holding the knife. This is not making my life or job easier.

The case continued with questioning of witnesses and let me just say this, if I win this case I am a miracle worker. I have to dig deeper into this because something just doesn't add up. Granted Ellie was the one who divorced Oliver because of quote unquote domestic violence, but the only time Oliver came close to hitting her was when he learned she had an affair with Oliver's brother Orlando. He punched the closet beside her which gave her some scratches, well that is according to my client at least. Then the restraining order only came about when she started dating Papadakis publicly, we know he was possessive so he could have easily made that up.

Well one thing is for sure this is going to be a long twisted case Vea and I are fighting about and it has only just begun.

A/N well we have officially started with the interesting part of the story, the Thompson case. I'm excited to go all detective and researcher on this:))

By the way we are also going to meet new characters in the coming chapters... Who they will be, well that's for me to know and you to find out:))

So comment and vote if you think it's worth it:D until the next update!!!:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 41.2K 25
How far would you go to protect the ones you love? A successful architect with a promising career in London, Brian's world spins out of control when...
9.9K 227 21
A/N- I wrote this when I was 11, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! "I wasn't expecting any of this to happen. I thought that I could come back and everything w...
836K 19.3K 41
[Small Town / Second Chance] When Jennifer heads back to her hometown after ten years to celebrate her grandmother's 70th birthday, she knows she'll...
2.6K 94 36
Hayden and Darin have been best friends practically their whole lives. Ever since Hayden's dad was arrested she had been friends with Darin. She was...