Between Life and Death

By AngelinxWP

A girl as selfless as Amarah Clarisse dela Cuesta will do everything for her loved ones. And for the boy who... More

Between Life and Death
Don't Fall
Priority
Eerie
Cherish
Friend
Destined
Tightly
Mission
Deceived
Invite

Hope

81 61 7
By AngelinxWP

I got home still thinking about everything that happened earlier.

But then decided to just relax and clear my mind of everything related to Maxon and the rest of the day.

Agad akong dumiretso sa aking kwarto, the house is quiet again like the usual days. Maybe Mom's busy with work and Astrid went to one of her photoshoot right after school.

Pagkatapos kong mag half bath at magbihis ay agad akong nakatulog.

"Come with me." The voice came from behind me. I turned around. Though I cannot see it clearly, I belive he's a boy because of his voice.

Why is it so familliar?

I squinted my eyes trying to see him and ignore the fact that I'm hurting because of the blinding light. And then little by little I saw his silhouette.

I stared in shock as I saw something wide behind him, it didn't take long for me to realize that those are wings.
Black wings.

"Who are you?" I asked as I wipe my tears.

Why am I crying?

He shrugged and just held out his hand, trying to reach mine. His hair is covering his face, not allowing me to see it.

"I know that you want this. Come with me, and I'll give whatever you want." I stared at his hand, at that very moment I was so tempted.

As if I really want to take it. I desperately need to. The reason why is I don't know.

Slowly, I reached for it, and then all of a sudden, a voice shouted.

"No!" I looked back from where it came from, I can't see his face as well but he got wings too. Bright white wings.

And then the feeling of being torn consumed my body, as if both of them are trying to get me...

I woke up with cold sweat.

Agad kong tinanggal ang aking kumot at bumangon, biglang sumakit ang aking ulo dahil sa panaginip na iyon.

I rarely dream. But when I do, something major happens. I remember when before my Dad got promoted and got sent to Malaysia, the night before I dreamt of being in an airplane.

And before I got chosen to model for the commercial that I gave to my sister, the night before I dreamt of being in front of cameras.

Now, what does this mean?

I looked up at my clock and saw it's already 8pm.

I decided to go downstairs to  eat. There I saw Astrid munching on her apple.

"Kain na." Sabi niya at tinuro ang dining table. Nakahanda na ang pagkain roon. I got a plate and started filling it with rice and Caldereta, and then saw Astrid by the glass beside the door na parang may sinisilip.

"May nakatira na ata sa tapat, ate." She said. Yes, may pagka chismosa ata talaga itong kapatid ko.

And me, a curious Ate, went beside her to take a peek as well.

"Oo nga noh." I agreed while holding my plate.

The house across from us had always been empty, ilang taon na din ang lumipas nang umalis ang may-ari at naglagay ng For Sale na sign sa labas.

And now it's all gone. For sure pagkauwi ni Mommy ay aayain niya kami magpunta doon at dalhan sila ng cookies as a welcome in our neighborhood. I know because she did that when a newlywed couple moved in the house beside ours.

Naglakad ako pabalik sa dining table at nagsimulang kumain habang si Astrid ay nagsimulang manood ng TV.

Hindi nagtagal ay dumating na si Mommy. We greeted her and gushed about the new neighbors right away.

"This weekend, we'll go there and meet them!" She said enthusiastically.

Nagkatinginan kami ni Astrid.

Guess we're right.

- - -

I got up early, this is the official day of our preperation for the elections and being late is the last thing on my list.

I showered and ate a small meal and headed to my car right away.

Napansin ko na din na bukas na ang ilaw sa katapat naming bahay, nakakapanibago lang dahil nakadagdag ng liwanag sa paligid.

As I was driving out the gates, mayroong sumabay na nagbabike sa gilid ko causing us to collide.

Natumba ang biker na nakauniform ng SRIL and I knew right away that I was doomed.

Agad akong lumabas sa kotse to check on him, I was a little relived to see him sitting like nothing happened, and I stood there looking at his back.

Weird.

"Kuya, okay ka lang ba?" Nagaalala kong tanong. Slowly, he turned to face me.

With that annoying smirk on his face.

"Didn't know you're a reckless driver, Miss President."He remarked and took a glimpse of my house. "Or should I say, neighbor?"

I guess Mom's wrong. I already met the neighbor yesterday.

I frowned, "It's not my fault, ang laki ng kotse ko at hindi mo nakita." I replied and my eyes darted to his bike. Hindi naman nasira pero medyo hindi maganda ang itsura ng harapang gulong.

Ash finally stood up and I eyed him worried if he gain some injuries.

Napatingin siya sa kanyang bike, "I don't think I'll be riding this." He whispered. Tinayo niya iyon at dinala papasok sa gate ng bahay nila.

Bigla akong nakaramdam ng guilt, kaya naman ng makalabas siya ulit, "Uhm, you can ride with me." I offered as I gestured toward my car.

Another smirk made it's way to his face, "Well, didn't expect that from you." He commented.

I suddenly remember the time and hurriedly went inside the car while shouting, "If you want then let's go. I have a campaign to prepare."

Sumunod siya sa loob ng kotse and I started to drive, we were quiet for a few minutes until I asked him, "Where are you from?"

He threw me a glance and told me they moved here from States, he's with his Mom. "For a new environment, you know." He said.

My phone blinked on my dashboard kaya naman napatingin siya doon, and I swear I wanna throw him out of the car because of the way he laughed.

Maxon's picture is my lockscreen. Yes. Call me obsessed but I just really wanted to see him. Lalo na yung mga times na nagsisink in pa lang sa akin na there's something between him and Carrie. This my way of accepting things.

Then I remember the date later.

I sighed. Paano nga ba ito?

Hindi naman sa pagpapabebe na inaya ka na nga ng crush mo, pakipot pa. It's just that I have a lot on my plate right now with the up coming elections and distraction is the last thing I need.

Ash and I talked more about his family, he is in a good mood today unlike yesterday. I learned that her Mom and Dad got separated which saddened me. I hate broken families.

The day went by quickly. Pagkadating namin sa school ni Ash ay agad kong sinimulan ang pag lilista hindi lang ng mga plans but also our campaign materials.

I gathered my team and discussed it, Ray is present and Ash isn't around which is strange because he said he will be here.

Pagkatapos ng meeting, nagumpisa akong iligpit ang mga gamit nang dumating si Carrie. "Hey." Bati niya sa may pintuan, same classroom as yesterday.

"Hi!" I greeted back as I put my laptop in my bag. "Kamusta ang campaign?"

She entered the room, "Well, it's going smoothly. How about yours?" She said as she eyes our lists. Agad ko iyon pinasok sa bag.

Competitive, that's the spirit!

"Likewise." I replied.

We went outside together trying to find Mara and Kia, we sat in our usual table in the cafeteria and ordered some snacks.

"Amaris," she called. I looked at her from my bag of chips, "If you think there's going on with Maxon and I, there's none." She said looking at me sincerely.

I was surprised, "It's okay, Carrie. Actually, he asked me on a date yesterday. At nagdadalawang isip ako kasi nga with your relationship going on, you know." I replied.

Her eyes widen, "Oh no. He told me about that. Kaya nga sinasabihan kita na don't mind me kasi wala talagang kami. We're just bestfriends. I accepted it. So don't hold back anymore." She replied quickly.

A glint of hope started to rise inside me. Is this really it? A chance for Maxon and I?

It's too good to be true.

I held Carrie's hand, "Thankyou." I whispered.

We both know how much I like him. Maybe beyond that and all these time I've been holding back because I don't wanna hurt her. Kahit na tinutulungan pa ko nila Kia mapalapit sa kanya.

She gave me a small smile and left to pass some assignment.

I can't help but smile. Now, there's nothing holding me back anymore, I'll see Maxon and accept his invitation for a date later.

As I munch on my chips, I saw Ray approaching me with a serious look on his face. He'a holding a tray too.

"You know," he said quietly, not even throwing me a glance. "You should always look out. Not everyone is what they seem to be." And then he walked away.

I've had enough of this, I ran after him, "Anong ibig mong sabihin?" Tanong ko. I'm tired of him being so weird, kahit sa meeting ganito siya.

He faced me, "Nasabi ko na ang dapat kong sabihin."

And he walked away again, but I squinted my eye, on his back I saw two bumps.

"Amaris." Someone called me making me lose my train of thoughts. It's Maxon.

"Are you going out with me?" He asked.

Damn, he never fails to take my breath away.

I smiled. "Yes." I answered.

- - -

"Table for two, please." Maxon said to the girl in front of a fancy restaurant. She entered and a few minutes later she came back and ushered us to the table.

Medyo nahihiya akong umupo sa upuan na hinila niya para sa akin. We came here in just our uniform and will be eating some afternoon snacks.

Snacks lang pero sa restaurant agad. Hays, Maxon.

After my last meeting with Sir de Vega, I saw him standing just outside his office. Then he took me to his blue Everest and drove straight here. Even the smell of his car is good.

Everything about him is good.

After having some time looking through the menu, he called the waiter and ordered a pesto pasta, he glanced at me and I ordered a Lasagna and a fruit shake for a drink.

He initiated a talk as we waited. He asked me were I studied before, what my parents do and lastly, about the campaigns.

I'm still not comfortable telling people about it so I gave him a brief information.

We started eating in silence.

Hanggang ngayon hindi ako makapaniwala. This is what I've been dreaming ever since I started studying at SRIL and here I'am keeping my mouth shut.

So I ask him how to balance the Baskteball team and his academics at the same time.

I pursed his lips, "Well, time management is the number one weapon. Kung hindi, I will lose track of time and I won't be able to do the important things." He explained. And I sat there admiring him. "Kaya I skip unimportant business." He finished and continued to eat.

Does that mean I'm important?

Hoy! Tigil Amaris, huh.

We finished eating and bought an Ice Cream cone as a dessert.

We headed back to his car and drove back to the school.

He parked and opened the car door for me. He also offered to walk me to my car, as we walk together, some of the students to stayed late for school are looking at us.

Having the Team Captain walk beside you is something, of course.

When we reached my car, I faced him to say goodbye.

"I'll get going." I said. He nodded.

He was about to say something but he seemed to take it back and said, "Fuck it. Bahala na." He whispered.

And right then and there, he kissed me. It wasn't long, it lasted only a few moments after I realized it. Then he pulled away, my eyes are wide, my heart's beating rapidly.

He gave me his signature smile and said, "And this is what I call an important business." Then he walked away.

As I stare at his retreating back, still stunned to move, I caught a glimpse of Ash at the side of the parking's door. Smirking.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

879K 58.6K 33
Discovering an abandoned town in the middle of a forest, Odeth is transported to a time when the ghost town was alive, but as someone else--Olivia Va...