The Golden Pear [YA - Feature...

By Witto150

When Freya Inuhakka, a burn survivor, receives a pear enchanted to give her either beauty, wisdom, or power... More

β™«~Author's Notes~β™«
β™«~Notes 02~β™«
β™«~Notes 03~β™«
β™«~Notes 04~β™«
β™«~Notes 05~β™«
β™«~Notes 06~β™«
β™«~Notes 07~β™«
β™«~Notes 08~β™«
β™«~Notes 09~β™«
β™«~Notes 10~β™«
β™«~Notes 11~β™«
β™«~Notes 12~β™«
β™«~Notes 13~β™«
β™«~Notes 14~β™«
β™«~Notes 15~β™«
β™«~Notes 16~β™«
β™«~Notes 17~β™«
β™«~Notes 18~β™«
β™«~Notes 19~β™«
β™«~Notes 20~β™«
β™«~Notes 21~β™«
β™«~Notes 22~β™«
β™«~Notes 23~β™«
β™«~Notes 24~β™«
β™«~Notes 25~β™«
β™«~Notes 26~β™«
β™«~Notes 27~β™«
β™«~Notes 28~β™«
β™«~Notes 29~β™«
β™«~Notes 30~β™«
β™«~Notes 31~β™«
β™«~Notes 32~β™«
β™«~Notes 33~β™«
β™«~Notes 34~β™«
β™«~Notes 35~β™«
β™«~Notes 36~β™«
β™«~Notes 37~β™«
β™«~Notes 38~β™«
β™«~Notes 39~β™«
β™«~Notes 40~β™«
β™«~Notes 41~β™«
β™«~Notes 42~β™«
β™«~Notes 43~β™«
β™«~Notes 44~β™«
β™«~Notes 45~β™«
β™«~Notes 46~β™«
β™«~Notes 47~β™«
β™«~Notes 48~β™«
β™«~Notes 49~β™«
β™«~Notes 50~β™«
β™«~Omake~β™«
β™«~Notes 51~β™«
β™«~Notes 52~β™«
β™«~Notes 53~β™«
β™«~Notes 54~β™«
β™«~Notes 55~β™«
β™«~Notes 56~β™«
β™«~Notes 57~β™«
β™«~Notes 58~β™«
β™«~Notes 59~β™«
β™«~Notes 60~β™«
β™«~Notes 61~β™«
β™«~Notes 62~β™«
β™«~Notes 63~β™«
β™«~Notes 64~β™«
β™«~Notes 65~β™«
β™«~Notes 66~β™«
β™«~Notes 67~β™«
β™«~Notes 68~β™«
β™«~Notes 69~β™«
β™«~Notes 70~β™«
β™«~Notes 71~β™«
β™«~Notes 72~β™«
β™«~Notes 73~β™«
β™«~Notes 74~β™«
β™«~Notes 75~β™«
β™«~Notes 76~β™«
β™«~Notes 77~β™«
β™«~Notes 78~β™«
β™«~Notes 79~β™«
β™«~Notes 80~β™«
β™«~Notes 81~β™«
β™«~Notes 82~β™«
β™«~Notes 83~β™«
β™«~Notes 84~β™«
β™«~Notes 85~β™«
β™«~Notes 86~β™«
β™«~Notes 87~β™«
β™«~Notes 88~β™«
β™«~Notes 89~β™«
β™«~Notes 90~β™«
β™«~Notes 91~β™«
β™«~Notes 92~β™«
β™«~Notes 93~β™«
β™«~Notes 94~β™«
β™«~Notes 95~β™«
β™«~Notes 96~β™«
β™«~Notes 97~β™«
β™«~Notes 98~β™«
β™«~Notes 99~β™«
β™«~Notes 100~β™«
β™«~Notes 101~β™«
β™«~Notes 102~β™«
β™«~Notes 103~β™«
β™«~Notes 104~β™«
β™«~Notes 105~β™«
β™«~Notes 106~β™«
β™«~Notes 107~β™«
β™«~Notes 108~β™«
β™«~Notes 109~β™«
β™«~Notes 110~β™«
β™«~Notes 111~β™«
β™«~Notes 112~β™«
β™«~Notes 113~β™«
β™«~Notes 114~β™«
β™«~Notes 115~β™«
β™«~Notes 116~β™«
β™«~Notes 117~β™«
β™«~Notes 118~β™«
β™«~Notes 119~β™«
β™«~Notes 120~β™«
β™«~Notes 121~β™«
β™«~Notes 122~β™«
β™«~Notes 123~β™«
β™«~Notes 124~β™«
β™«~Notes 125~β™«
β™«~Notes 126~β™«
β™«~Notes 127~β™«
β™«~Notes 128~β™«
β™«~Notes 129~β™«
β™«~Notes 130~β™«
β™«~Notes 131~β™«
β™«~Notes 132~β™«
β™«~Notes 133~β™«
β™«~Notes 134~β™«
β™«~Notes 135~β™«
β™«~Notes 136~β™«
β™«~Notes 137~β™«
β™«~Notes 138~β™«
β™«~Notes 139~β™«
β™«~Notes 140~β™«
β™«~Notes 141~β™«
β™«~Notes 142~β™«
β™«~Notes 143~β™«
β™«~Notes 144~β™«
β™«~Notes 145~β™«
β™«~Notes 146~β™«
β™«~Notes 147~β™«
β™«~Notes 148~β™«
β™«~Notes 149~β™«
β™«~Notes 150~β™«
β™«~Notes 151~β™«
β™«~AfterNote~β™«
β™«~Thank You~β™«

β™«~Notes 01~β™«

928 98 605
By Witto150

Evening had fallen above the vast city. Its skyscrapers climbed toward the sky like praying hands, and lazy clouds drifted away from their reach. Smog and putrid haze from cars and cigarettes poisoned the air, veiling it in gray.

The breeze tugged the red hair of a young girl sitting on the grass. Her green eyes fixed on the calming azure as she listened to the river's soothing melody. She tucked a stray lock of wavy hair behind her ear, but the wind quickly freed it, letting it dangle loosely.

No amount of make-up could hide her freckles, not that she bothered to try. She had never been into beauty products–not even nail polish. Why waste time and money on something so superficial when she could spend it on repairing her kilt-like school skirt? It had ripped at one side, with another hole appearing on the other. At this rate, she might need to buy a new one.

She raked her fingers through the cooling grass. Some of its green got onto her white knee socks, and her pumps' soles had seen cleaner days.

A butterfly landed on her shoulder, perhaps attracted by the sunflower on her white blouse or by the fancy name tag, which read Freya Inuhakka. It lazily flapped its wings before chasing the wind across the river.

A few girls in a different uniform passed behind her. Freya didn't notice or care for their envious glances. She attended the best private school in the prefecture, and many failed to get in. It was everybody's dream to go through that nightmare and land a prominent position with a big company.

It was something she had earned with hard work. The remains of bruises on her fingers could talk about it for hours. And with the right angle, one might notice shades under her eyes. However, now it was just her and the peaceful river. She could forget about the real world for a moment.

The contentment on her face remained even after three shadows approached her.

One said, "Sumimasen, we would like to ask you for help."

His brown hair laid perfectly across his head, and his rectangular glasses gave him a stern appearance, as if the tuxedo and dress shirt weren't enough.

In his hands, he carried a paper bag. Next to him, it seemed quite out of place and shabby. Perhaps it held some fruit for a snack based on its bulged bottom.

The wind whispered between them, but Freya didn't look at them, acting as if they didn't exist in her world. Not even the river purled, awaiting how the scene shall unfold.

"Please, help us with our minor dispute," said a smooth voice.

A young man with long blonde hair came closer. His blue eyes sparkled like gemstones, going well with the same colored shirt. The sun's rays reflected from his teeth, putting any toothpaste ad to shame. From his white suit, he pulled out a rose, smelling it.

But not even now, Freya reacted. The two boys exchanged glances, reflecting slight confusion. This wasn't working the way they expected.

The third boy approached her with a huff. "Oi, are you listening?" Ripped holes decorated his clothes, and his raven hair imitated a bird's nest. Hungry baby birds could appear at any second.

He arched his eyebrow, counting seconds with his tapping foot. Scratching behind his head, he came closer, waving his hand in front of Freya's face.

The girl jumped to her feet, hitting his wrist and stepping away. Her mid-back, long hair swirled around her like a red mist, revealing not just shocked eyes but also the burned skin across the left half of her face. Soon her forehead wrinkled, and her fists tightened, ready to punch them in the guts.

The boys remained silent, and the wild one moved backward. He placed his muscular arms on his hips. He was frowning curiously, with a pinch of puzzlement.

The guy with glasses pushed them back up as they slid down a little. He looked at her like a strict teacher about to give a naughty student a lecture.

Her green eyes darted to the second boy in the white clothes. His shirt was halfway unbuttoned, revealing his smooth chest.

The wild fellow put his hands in his pockets, arching his eyebrows with his shoulders down. He puckered his lips lightly. She gave him a quick look over, noticing bruises over his arms and a slim scar across his cheek. His jeans and vest had known better days. However, that could be a fashion style that changed faster than seasons.

The brown-haired boy slightly bowed. "Onegaishimasu, allow me to apologize in the name of my youngest brother. He can be hot-headed."

Despite the reassuring words, Freya didn't relax. She tightened her fists. Were they here to bully her?

He continued, "My name is Rigaku Kamini, and with my younger brothers, we have a certain dispute. Since we can't determine the outcome, we decided an outsider may have better insight."

Freya lifted her brow, providing no other response, except for her eyes grilling the trio. However, this was new. Nobody before came after her for help. Unless it was helping them out of their boredom with some dumb pranks, which she found irritating.

Regardless, Rigaku didn't let it faze him. His poker face gave no space for reading his emotions. Stone statues could worship him as a god.

"My name is Aiyoku, and it's simple, my dear," added the blond boy, winking. An anime otaku could see hearts floating her way. He offered her his rose, but Freya didn't spare it a glance.

Aiyoku retracted his hand with an awkward smile. "Our problem is we can't decide who should possess a certain object. It's important to us."

The creases on her forehead deepened. This was turning highly suspicious. Their words made little sense. Were they trying to prank her with something so obvious? They could play rock-scissors-paper and call it a day. If it was so essential, a stranger would be the last person to decide it for them.

"Get on with it!" The black-haired boy rolled his eyes, pushing Aiyoku away. "It's about this Golden Pear!" His hand dived into the bag Rigaku held, fishing out the item.

For the first time, her wrinkles smoothed as the beauty mesmerized her. Kagetsu wasn't joking about the name. The pear was shining under the setting sun like its miniature version. She squinted to read 'The Best' engraved on its surface as she tilted her head.

"Tozen,"—Rigaku's voice awoke her from her trance—"you'll get a reward for helping us."

Freya's face darkened once more, but slightly less than before. Perhaps her muscles threatened to go on strike if she pushed them too much.

Rigaku was about to continue when Aiyoku interrupted him, "Pick me, and I'll make you the most beautiful woman in this world. No man will resist your charm. Your golden hair will overshadow the sun, and your deep, blue eyes will turn oceans into tiny puddles." He smelled his rose, as if it could give his words weight.

Freya's eyes twitched as her head jerked. This was so anime cliché like. Her lips curled into a small smile that lasted only for a second. She couldn't let her guard down. Also, he talked about changing her hair and eyes' color! He couldn't be serious!

"Stew-pit!" The third boy shook his head, and his brother knitted his eyebrows. However, it seemed he had bitten his cheek from inside, trying not to laugh. "Beauty is gone like winter's snow!"

He spread his arms like a body-builder, letting his impressive biceps shine. "Kagetsu is the name! Cheese me, and there won't be a fight you can lose. All gangs across the continent will bow before you!" His poster made him seem smaller than he was. Possibly it was due to them standing on a sloping shore.

Aiyoku giggled as Kagetsu tried to pose, nearly overbalancing himself. The youngest brother puckered his lips as he adjusted his jacket to cover his chest, as if embarrassed by it.

The girl almost snickered too. Who uses stew-pit for stupid? Perhaps this guy used to watch too many movies with broken English. And despite his weirdness, Freya had to give him a point for a cheesy pun. But the second sentence had a poetic feel to it. Maybe he picked it from a soap opera.

"You both are naïve." Rigaku pushed back his glasses. "Neither beauty nor muscles can win against time. Only knowledge surpasses everything."

His delinquent sibling crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes. "Well, you are the smart guy here." Despite the wording, there wasn't a hint of sass, but only honesty.

"That's wasting of a delicate face." The blonde brother, Aiyoku, tapped his cheek.

Freya almost growled. It insulted her more than she wanted to admit. What a mockery!

"New medicine, a breakthrough in space travel,"—Rigaku spread his arms as if weighting both options—"everlasting appreciation from all over the world. No problem too complicated to withstand your brainpower. And your name forever written in history."

Freya's body relaxed. This was getting so tiresome. They made her both irritated and bewildered. Usually, she knew how to react toward bullies, but they needed an alternative approach. Unfortunately, her brain was too tired to come up with a counter-measure.

If this was a prank, it was the most elaborated one she had seen. That itself deserved a certain appreciation.

Rigaku took the Golden Pear from his brother and put it into Freya's hands before she could yank them free. The item sent static electricity through her body, filling her with anticipation.

"All you need to is to give this to one of us. Now, pick wisely." He stepped back, his brown eyes full of calculations and collected thoughts.

She stared at the shining pear, its weight burning her, and their gaze gave her shivers. She curled her fingers around it like she wanted to crush it. Its surface both burned and chilled her skin.

Regardless of its size and material, she held it with no problem. Was this truly made of gold? Was it hollow? Wasn't it just fancy chocolate?

Freya's fingers twitched, trying to find the end of the foil. Inhaling, she gulped. Her eyes darted toward them. She could hear their thoughts:

She'll pick me, right?

I gave her the best offer!

She can't resist me.

She took a deep breath, and her hand moved as if the world had slowed down. Their eyes fixated on her grip over the golden fruit. The boys' heartbeat sped up, expecting the decisive moment to hit them any second now.

Freya lunged her arm with the elegance of a pitcher, sending the pear into the river. A big splash broke the boys' concentration, and the drops rained down as rings raced toward the shore.

They watched the water in terror and silence, not noticing she had grabbed her schoolbag and sprinted away. It took them a few moments to awaken from the trance.

Aiyoku screamed, dropping his rose. "She threw it away!" He grasped his younger brother's shoulders and shook him.

"B-Baka!" Kagetsu caught his hands, pulling himself free. "Stop shaking me!" His eyebrow twitched as he watched the last rings, taking a big gulp. "How about you get it?"

Aiyoku stepped away. "No way! My clothes are dry clean only!"

"Sheesh, Sugar Face."

The blonde brother stuck out his tongue at his younger sibling.

With their bickering in the background, Rigaku stared after Freya. Although he couldn't see her anymore.

"It seems we must follow her to persuade her into cooperation," he whispered to himself as the calculation in his mind changed.

\\_(''>_<'')_//

Meanwhile, Freya reached her apartment building. The brothers spoiled her evening, which she wished to spend in harmony with the river. The chilling wind touched her, sending shivers down her spine.

Her fingers traced her forearms, trying to warm up. Looking over her shoulder in the river's direction, her eyes widened. A stream of golden light flew through the clouds as she twisted her body. Not believing her eyes, she rubbed them. The strange phenomenon vanished, and there was nobody around her who could witness it.

She turned around when the thunder roared. Dark clouds raced towards the city like a stampede of horses. The girl didn't wait, hurrying home.

However, if she would spare one more glance to the sky, she might see white puffs turning black as lighting enveloped them.

Vocabulary:

Tozen - Of course

Sumimasen - I'm sorry

Baka - Idiot

Onegaishimasu – Please

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 188 199
Same as first one. With more characters, way more. I'm considering a third book. Maybe even reach five. Chapters will stay until I get to chapter 1,0...
620K 2.4K 63
lesbian oneshots !! includes smut and fluff, chapters near the beginning are AWFUL. enjoy!
560K 23.9K 87
After enduring years of pain as a consequence of being confined by my Yandere stepbrother, I was finally freed from my misery by an unfortunate house...
7.4M 205K 22
It's not everyday that you get asked by a multi-billionaire man to marry his son. One day when Abrielle Caldwell was having the worst day of her life...