The Obscure Downsides of Fame

By Obscunima

☀︎︎Featured on Wattpad's @NA and @FreeTheLGBT☀︎︎ * this is the original first draft. The rewrite is now also... More

a c h i e v e m e n t s
0 // Author's Note
1 // touring
2 // music videos
3 // a waste
4 // let's meet
5 // drop it
6 // interesting
7 // crowded
8 // get out
9 // out of love
10 // text?
11 // uhm, Saturday?
12 // back on the radar
13 // marionette
14 // questions
15 // common misconception
16 // one of a kind
17 // the usual
18 // doesn't mean anything
19 // so damn lucky
20 // mildly attractive
21 // I'll figure it out
22 // Kylan fucking Madden
23 // rollercoaster
24 // friends
25 // everything about you
26 // naive
27 // a secret girlfriend
28 // say it
30 // only if you're into that
31 // fraud
32 // he'll come back
33 // speechless
34 // ghosting
35 // I'm really sorry
36 // a complicated guy
37 // habitually happy
38 // fucked up together
39 // better together
40 // you're definitely something
41 // teeny tiny tipsy
42 // long time no speak
43 // I'm boooored
44 // don't forget about me
45 // man-child
46 // Mercury
47 // I fell down a rabbit hole
48 // bad reality TV
49 // my boyfriend wrote it
50 // it should be magical
51 // just write more
52 // just you and me
53 // burn it down
54 // I promise you forever
55 // Dimple Cheek and Prince Charming
56 // please don't leave
57 // enemies to lovers
58 // unfiltered
59 // fan fiction
60 // Nolan in a nutshell
61 // to be closer to you
62 // on purpose
63 // cookies
64 // a puppy
65 // Commoners
66 // better depressed
67 // crash
68 // put yourself first
69 // the semantics
70 // the little things
72 // we don't need words
73 // independent
74 // a first impression
75 // the love expert
quick little update

29 // feelings

347 21 12
By Obscunima

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
feelings
•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

I'd never felt like this before. And it was weird, because a few weeks ago, I would've sworn I was straight and I wouldn't even question it.

But there was something about Nolan that made it impossible for me not to be attracted to him.

Both of us were busy the entire week, so the only time we could plan out first actual date would be in two weeks. And then I'd have to leave for my tour a few days later. It's been a few days since we planned that, and I hadn't spoken to him—or to anyone, actually—since.

I didn't want to leave.

I wanted more time. All I needed was more time. Never in my life had I questioned whether any of this was worth it up until now.

"Oakley, are you okay?" I looked in my doorway to see Trisha standing there with her arms crossed.

"I'm okay," I said, looking back up at the ceiling.

"Have you just been staring up at that ceiling for the past couple hours?"

"Maybe."

"Weren't you supposed to do stuff today?"

"Maybe."

"You turned your phone off, didn't you?"

"Maybe. Can you just get out of my room now?"

"Fine," she said, and she just walked away. Leaving my door wide open. But I didn't even bother to yell at her.

Fuck.

"Oakley." I looked back at the door again to now find my dad standing there. Great. Exactly what I needed.

"What is it?" I asked.

"You've been up here for hours. You haven't eaten. What's wrong?"

"I'm just tired," I said. I wasn't lying. I just wasn't feeling like leaving my room.

"You know your manager called. Said you didn't show up for rehearsals. And they couldn't reach you."

"My phone's dead," I said. Another half truth.

"Oakley. Are you happy?" he asked, practically out of nowhere.

"I'm not unhappy," I said

"What would make you actually happy?"

"Not going on tour, for one."

We were both quiet for a bit. I could hear the sound of the tv playing from downstairs.

"You know I'm not good at this," my dad eventually said. "But I don't like seeing you like this."

"Like what."

"Not happy."

"You can't be happy all the time."

"I guess so," he said. He stood there in the doorway for a few more seconds before he left. Once again someone not bothering to shut the door.

I guess at least he tried.

I felt like a piece of shit. My phone died days ago and I hadn't charged it since, which meant I hadn't seen or spoken Nolan in days. It was the only thing I felt truly guilty about. But I just didn't want people to bother me with my responsibilities.

But then again. Nolan made me feel things I hadn't felt before. And I was basically ghosting him. What if he thought this meant I didn't want to go on that date anymore? What if it drove him away from me?

God damn it. Guess I had to turn on my responsibilities on for the rest of today.

I finally got out of bed to put my phone on the charger this time. It took a while before it turned on, but when it did, I went straight to Nolan's number.

You:
I'm really sorry for not being active lately

You:
I've been feeling off for a bit. Getting away from duties and stuff

I left my phone to rest on my chest, waiting for a reply. But god damn did I have a lot of unread messages.

Danny:
You good? We haven't seen you the past few days.

Gen:
Oakley. Call me when you arise from the dead xx

And of course a bunch of messages of Mason who wants to speak to me too.

I wasn't going to call anyone. Because I honestly didn't care. I was fucking tired.

Nolan:
You doing okay?

You:
I'm managing.

You:
How about you?

Nolan:
Same

Well shit. We were going strong over text for the past few weeks, but I totally messed it up. Where we would theorize about whatever may be manifesting in the universe, we were now back to small talk.

I rested my phone on my stomach again, not really knowing what to do or say. I was honestly just confused.

I had never felt like I wanted to be with a guy before. But honestly, I never saw myself with anyone before. I was never looking for anything, and I was okay with that.

Things changed, though. I liked Nolan. I liked him a lot. And I would be fucking stupid to not even try to make things work.

You:
About that date

You:
What would you like to do? 👀

Nolan:
You asked me out, so wouldn't you know? 👀

You:
I should but I'm bad at this🙇🏽‍♂️

You:
I've never really dated before, actually

You:
I demand help.

Nolan:
Aha, so you're the demanding type

I bit my lip to hold back my chuckles as I stared at the three dots that indicated he was typing.

Nolan:
Lucky for you, I know a nice place. I'll pick you up

Nolan:
I hope you don't mind driving for a bit, so close to the tour ;)

Oakley:
If I mind? With you? Never 😋

And once again I ended up staring at my ceiling. But this time, I had a smile on my face. Because finally, I had something to look forward to. I just had to get through the week without avoiding my obligations, and then I'd see him again.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Next update is probably gonna come faster bc this chapter was fillerrrrrr

Anyhow...

Question of the update: how did you find out about this book? Did you find it in a reading list? Were you checking out my profile? I'm interested :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 52.1K 92
This story is complete ✅ 'I look at the back of the boy, sitting in front of me and his shining tousled hair. Before I can even realize what I'm doin...
1M 47.3K 66
This story is complete ✅ Casey is a nerd, but the charming, cute type. He evades college parties like the plague. Who knew he would accidentally jump...
6.3K 714 67
ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ was discovered at fourteen years old, being praised as a musical prodigy by the media ever since. His fame had only increased until n...
Sweet Boy ✔ By ev

Teen Fiction

1M 33.3K 55
Gosh, was Zander Hayes hot or what? Everybody thought so. As did Asher Tyson. You could call him a nobody. He wasn't bullied. He wasn't a nerd. He wa...