Echo of a Bird's Cry

By michellewatson21

Secrets, lies, betrayal, and obsession. Tragedy is only the beginning. Eden Willmore has spent the last five... More

THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 1
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 2
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 3
THE VICTIM EDEN October 17
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 20
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 20
VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 21
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 21
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 21
THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 22
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 22
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 26
THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 26
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 28
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 29
THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 30
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 31
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 31
THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 7
THE HERO ANGEL NOVEMBER 10
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 15
THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 17
THE HERO ANGEL NOVEMBER 20
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 21
THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 22
THE HERO ANGEL NOVEMBER 22
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 23
THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 23
THE HERO ANGEL NOVEMBER 24
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 25
THE SURVIVOR EMILY DECEMBER 1
THE HERO ANGEL DECEMBER 4
THE VICTIM EDEN DECEMBER 5
THE SURVIVOR EMILY DECEMBER 7
THE HERO ANGEL DECEMBER 10
THE VICTIM EDEN DECEMBER 14
THE SURVIVOR EMILY JUNE 10
THE HERO ANGEL JUNE 10
Author's Note

THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 5

2 0 0
By michellewatson21

I've kept to myself for a few days. Angel seemed upset with me after the Halloween party debacle. I kept my distance. Ashely will try her best to manipulate him and everyone I love. I need him on my side. He won't be if there's any doubt between us. Honesty is essential to our relationship. I will be honest. One painful truth at a time. What's the point of having a soulmate if you can't share your secrets with them?

I stop by the kitchen and pour Angel a cold glass of lemonade. He's playing fetch with Sandy outside. It's hot for November as usual. We are in the South.

Sandy runs up to me. I swiftly doge her jumping paws before she knocks the glass out of my hand.

Angel lifts a questioning brow as I hand him the glass. "You cater to me when you want something."

I blink my lashes at him. "I want you to stay hydrated."

He presses the glass to his mouth and guzzles down the lemonade. "Uh huh. You're buttering me up. What do you want?"

I lean into him, kissing his cheek. "Don't be mad at me."

He wraps an arm around me. "I'm not mad at you. I'm worried about you."

"But you've barely said anything to me in the past few days."

"I thought you wanted space. That was my intention. I wasn't trying to ignore you. You seemed irritated after Halloween."

I press my lips to his, kissing him. He smells of citrus and masculine musk. He tastes like freshly squeezed lemons and sugar. "But not with you."

He sets the empty class on the ground and wraps both arms around my waist, lifting me off my feet. His mouth is on mine and my fingers are in his hair. He kisses me so passionately we both tip over and land in a bed of sun-dried leaves. We laugh as we roll in the grass. I land on top of him. We pluck maple leaves from each other's hair. Sandy barks and leaps for joy.

He pinches my chin and kisses me again. "The most beautiful woman in the world."

"I love you."

He skims his supple lips down the curve of my jaw and back up to my ear. "Love you, too."

I twiddle the dark strands of his hair between my fingers. "Nothing comes between us. We won't give anything that power. Nothing comes in-between our unity, Angel. We stick together no matter what. The good. The bad. The worst. We stay connected through it all."

He gazes at me. "I'm not going anywhere, brown eyes. You have my loyalty and heart. I stand with you whether you're wrong or right."

"There's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?"

"It's about my biological father."

"I'm listening."

"I found him."

"How?"

The sun beams against his face, showcasing the natural chestnut brown highlights in his dark hair and the starburst of hazel green in his brown eyes.

"Darrius is my father."

His brows furrow. "How is that possible?"

"I don't know," I whisper. "He told me the night Evan died. I couldn't quiet process it so I kept it to myself."

"How do you feel about it?"

"I went to my mother's house to get her old photo album." My fingers trail over the straight bridge of his nose. "There are photos of him and my mother together. There are love letters hidden within the backboard of the photo album. The letters are addressed to my mother and written from Darrius. I read them all. He loved her and me. He wanted us both but my mother was petrified of Curtis. She couldn't escape."

"Do you want to talk to him?"

I inhale deep and release it. "Yes, I'm open to it. I'm actually meeting him today at Ester's Diner. Can you come with me?"

"Of course." He lifts a hand to trail his thumb across my bottom lip. "I will always be there for you in any way you need me."

***

Ester's Diner is unlike any diner I've ever been to. This diner is definitely one of a kind with its sleek black booths, deep crimson laminate floors, red and white neon lights, and chrome barstools. The jukebox looks like a high tech spaceship. This is where retro meets futuristic.

We're greeted by the fragrant scent of fried foods and delicious baked pies when Angel and I walk through the double glass doors. I agreed to meet Darrius here. The hostess leads us to a booth in the corner near a wide window. My father is already seated. He stands to greet us. He hugs me and shakes Angel's hand.

"I'm glad you called," Darrius says.

I stare at him, taking in the features of his face. Genetics are stories.

I find myself in the arch of his brow, the color of his iris, bridge of his nose, the fullness of his mouth, and curve of his jaw. It's never going to get old seeing myself in him.

A waitress with electric blue hair hands me and Angel a menu. Her name tag reads Keke. She tilts her head at Darrius. "Do you want the usual, Detective?"

He nods.

She takes out her notepad, glancing at us. "What can I get you to drink?"

"A Coke," I say.

"Sweet tea," Angel says.

She jolts it down and disappears behind the kitchen doors.

Darrius' brown eyes stare into mine. "How are you?"

"I'm taking it all in," I say. I reach over and trace his heavy brow. "I look so much like you."

His eyes become a little somber, a little pained, but he smiles.

I cup his cheek and he leans into my hand and then kisses my palm before releasing it.

"What do I call you?" I ask, giddiness blossoming in my chest. "It feels weird to call you by your name."

"You can call me whatever you're comfortable with," he says.

"Are you comfortable with me calling you Dad?"

His smile broadens and it leaves me stunned. This man is my father. We look so similar. I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing my features in his face. It takes me a moment to recover. "Absolutely. Dad is just fine."

We stare at each other some more. His eyes water. I pull a napkin from the dispenser and wipe the fallen tears from his cheeks.

"Don't cry."

His tears fall more rapidly. "I never thought I would get this chance. I wanted to tell you before but I didn't know how. Fear held me back for so long."

"It's okay, Dad," I say, patting his face dry. "Everything has happened the way it's supposed to be. Divine timing is everything."

He nods. "You've grown to be such a beautiful and intelligent woman."

"Thank you."

Keke drops by to set down our drinks. "Are you guys ready?"

I glance down at the menu. "What's your favorite, Dad?"

"The classic American cheeseburger and fries."

I put my menu down. "I want that."

"I'll take that too," Angel says, gathering both our menus and handing them to the waitress.

Keke jolts it down and leaves as swiftly as she arrived.

I take a sip of Coke. The ice cold fizz from the carbonation clears my throat. The rush of sugar gives me a caffeinated buzz. "Can you tell me how you met my mother?"

He nods and drinks from his mug. It smells like black tea. "I've known your mother most of my life. She was born here but her mother Evelyn died in childbirth and no one knew who her father was. Evelyn had no other relatives to take care of Marilyn so she was adopted by the Whitman family."

"Are the Whitmans still around?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "They died in a horrible house fire when your mother was sixteen. She lost her parents. She lost her family all over again."

I have the sudden urge to cry.

Angel wraps a comforting arm around me.

"She was independent at sixteen. She started to enter pageants and she won every one. She had money to get her own apartment. Marilyn was the only high school student in Ravenwood that owned an apartment and a car. Your mother was legendary."

"Did you go to school together?"

He nods. "Ravenwood is small so everyone knew your mother and her story. She was famous here. Her beauty and popularity was intimidating. I had to work up the courage to approach her. Senior year of high school, I finally asked her out." He takes a sip from his mug. "We had our first date here and ate this very same meal twenty nine years ago."

"What was she like?"

He smiles, seemingly immersed in a reverie so pleasant I'm not sure I want an answer. "Your mother..." he grins like a boy in love. "Your mother was a force of nature. She was fiercely independent and loving and kind. She was witty and so funny. She had the perfect smile. She made me laugh like no other. She was the love of my life."

My eyes well with tears that burn. "Tell me what happened."

"We were together all throughout our senior year of high school. We graduated. I joined the marines and the plan was for me to marry your mother and for her to come with me. But things didn't go as planned. As fierce and beautiful as she was, your mother was lost. She never felt good enough. I always told her how much I loved her but that didn't work when she didn't quite know how to love herself."

He pauses.

Keke comes toward us with a large tray of fragrant food. She sets down plates with huge cheeseburgers and crispy French fries.

My dad nods toward my plate. "Go on. Take a bite."

I bring the impressive burger to my mouth, taking a big enough bite to make my dad proud. My mouth is instantly flooded with flavor. The beef is high grade and the soft potato bread melts in my mouth. Everything comes together perfectly.

I wipe burger juices off my chin. "This is really good."

My dad nods, taking a huge bite of his own. He looks to Angel. "How's yours?"

"Best burger in Ravenwood," Angel says.

This incredibly tasty burger doesn't distract me from what he said. "What do you mean she didn't know how to love herself?"

He puts down his burger and wipes his mouth. "Your mother loved to love. Love was her choice of drug. But she didn't love herself as she should have."

I sip more Coke and glance at Angel.

"Are you okay?" Angel asks.

I nod.

Angel's gaze roams over my face, examining and searching. "Are you sure you want to do this today?"

"Yes," I say. I look back to my father. "I want to know everything."

"I could tell she was nervous about getting married but the truth is, she didn't think she was worthy." He dips a French fry in ketchup, eating it. "She started to pull away from me as my date to leave and go to boot camp got close. Before I left, she broke up with me and was on the arm of some guy she barely knew."

"How did she meet Curtis?" Angel asks.

"Curtis was notorious in Ravenwood. He was flashy. He showed off his expensive cars and jewelry. No one knew for sure what he did but it certainly wasn't legal. He had his eyes on Marilyn for a while but could never interact with her because I was there. He latched on to her like a parasite when I was gone."

"How did you know she was pregnant?" I ask.

"The timing didn't sit well with me," my dad says, his gaze distant and lost in a memory. "I knew in my heart you were mine. I wanted her to leave him. I begged for her to leave him, but she wouldn't go. She wouldn't leave him. Staying with him was killing her and yet she didn't have the strength to leave."

My eyes burn. "Why didn't you take me?"

His brown eyes brim with tears. "I wanted to, Eden. She completely shut me out. I wrote to her every day. I even went to look for her when I knew it was close to her due date, but she packed up and moved. She vanished. I didn't know until after you were born that your parents gave her shelter and protection from Curtis. I tried to talk to Marilyn but she ignored me. She cut me off completely."

He scrubs his tears with a napkin. "I joined the marines. I was stationed in Germany when she was killed. My biggest regret is not fighting hard enough for you and your mother."

I reach out and squeeze his hand.

"She already had gave you to the Willmores and I thought better them than Curtis. Your mother didn't want to cooperate with me. You were legally Easton and Elizabeth's daughter. And I was already in the marines. It was a difficult situation on all sides."

"It's okay," I tell him. "I have a huge family because of you and my mother."

He squeezes my hand back. "Are you angry with me?"

I shake my head. "No, I'm not angry. I'm actually thankful you told me. You didn't have to. I have an appointment for a paternity test after this. You don't have to go but it would mean a lot if you did."

"Of course I'll go," he says.

"Thank you," I say. "Knowing for sure will put my mind at ease. I found your love letters to my mother. I know you loved her."

He nods. "With my whole heart."

"Do you think my mother would be happy now that I know who you are?"

There's something solemn about his expression. "I think she would. I'd like to think she would've came to terms with her mistakes and decisions by now. In an alternate universe where things went differently, I think she would've made amends. Your mother loved you. She showed it by giving you to the Willmores. And I'm grateful for them too. They raised a lovely young woman."

Angel stares at me and we both know my upbringing is bitter sweet.

"You have to try the apple pie before we leave. Ester's diner has the best apple pie in the south."

Keke comes back to replace our drinks with new ones and my dad asks her for three slices of the best apple pie in the south.

"So what's your life like now?"

"I was a marine for twelve years. I moved back home and become a cop and graduated to detective." He drinks from his mug, clearing his throat. "I met my wife Anna here at this diner and married her. We have a child together. You have a younger brother."

I lean closer, my heart pounding loud enough to echo in my ears. "What's his name?"

"His name is Kam," my dad says.

Keke brings out three plates of hot apple pie topped with a fresh swirl of whipped cream. The slices are enormous. We all groan as we eat our pie.

"Thank you for meeting me," my dad says. "This makes me so happy. I was terrified that you would hate me."

I smile. "I don't hate you. I'm glad that we're both in a good space to want to get to know each other."

We share more laughs as we finish our meal. My dad pays and he follows us to a private clinic. We chat about Kam's upcoming football game as we get our cheeks swabbed. It takes ten days for the lab results. I have a good feeling about this.

Angel gets into the shower when we get home. Something is agitating Sandy. She barks and paces in front of the large windows in my bedroom. I pat her until she calms down. Her barking has turned into a panicked whine. I stare out the window, stroking Sandy's head. It's as black as a starless night outside. The only thing that reflects back is my own image in the glass. I squint, peering past my reflection. Something catches my eye. I'm not exactly sure what grabs at my attention. Maybe it's the soft rustling of the bushes. Maybe it's the wind. Maybe it's nothing. I step closer to the window. I press my hand against the cold glass and hold it there. I close my eyes and sigh. My relief is short lived. Violent knocking on the window shatters the illusion of safety. Startled, I open eyes and see nothing but darkness staring back. Sandy barks, leaping on the glass. My bare feet slaps against the wooden floorboards as I run to the kitchen. I yank open the drawer and take out a butcher knife. I toss open the front door and run into the night. Sandy is on my heels as I jog around the house. Sandy stops barking to sniff the grass where she eventually squats. There's no one out here. An owl stares down at me from the branch of a pine tree. Someone flips on the porch lights. Bright lights flood the darkness, chasing away shadows. Angel stands on the porch stairs as I approach.

His brows furrow as he stares down at the large knife in my hand. "Why are you outside with a knife?"

"I thought I heard something," I say, walking past him and into the house.

Angel watches me as I put the knife away. The concern is etched in every crease on his face. I silently dare him to say I'm overreacting so I can call bullshit. But neither one of us are willing to go there with each other. Not just yet. We're both still raw. He's still frowning when we reach the bedroom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.4K 4K 42
"Why the secret?" "Secret? More like secrets. And why do you care anyway?" "Because secrets are like lies, and I always find the truth..." ••••• Elna...
448 18 59
Once upon a time, in a small Carolina border town, there lived a woman and her dead best friend's kids. Orphaned at fifteen, Mackenzie Temple can't...
2.7K 99 36
I get lost in the moment as I grind against him, and I can feel him getting hard. A smirk appears on my lips as I drop it low and slowly move back up...
Echoes of Deception By Mish

Mystery / Thriller

49 10 21
In the small, picturesque town of Ravenswood, a haunting secret lies buried beneath its idyllic facade. Alice Montgomery, a troubled young woman with...