Echo of a Bird's Cry

By michellewatson21

Secrets, lies, betrayal, and obsession. Tragedy is only the beginning. Eden Willmore has spent the last five... More

THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 1
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 2
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 3
THE VICTIM EDEN October 17
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 20
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 20
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 21
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 21
THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 22
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 22
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 26
THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 26
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 28
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 29
THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 30
THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 31
THE HERO ANGEL OCTOBER 31
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 5
THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 7
THE HERO ANGEL NOVEMBER 10
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 15
THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 17
THE HERO ANGEL NOVEMBER 20
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 21
THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 22
THE HERO ANGEL NOVEMBER 22
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 23
THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 23
THE HERO ANGEL NOVEMBER 24
THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 25
THE SURVIVOR EMILY DECEMBER 1
THE HERO ANGEL DECEMBER 4
THE VICTIM EDEN DECEMBER 5
THE SURVIVOR EMILY DECEMBER 7
THE HERO ANGEL DECEMBER 10
THE VICTIM EDEN DECEMBER 14
THE SURVIVOR EMILY JUNE 10
THE HERO ANGEL JUNE 10
Author's Note

VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 21

2 0 0
By michellewatson21

The first call arrived at midnight. David informed me that Emily and Abel was in critical condition at Ravenwood Hospital. He said it was a home invasion and police are actively searching for the suspect. He didn't release any details more over the phone. Alex and Danny stayed behind. They were just as confused and shocked as I was. Angel drove me to the hospital and David met us at the entrance. We had to wait in the intensive care unit's lobby while and Emily and Abel was rushed into emergency surgery.

David hands me and Angel a Styrofoam cup of coffee. My hands tremble as I bring the cup to my mouth. The coffee is lukewarm and tasteless. I look into the Chief's sad brown eyes.

He squeezes my shoulder. "They're going to pull through. They're going to be alright."

I nod. It's the only thing I can do. If I were to utter a word, I will mentally fall apart.

Angel curls an arm around my back, giving me warm comfort I so desperately need.

David sits in the chair next to me. He scrubs his hands over his tired face and sighs. "My boy is going to pull through. Abel's a soldier. My boy has to make it." He talks like he's trying to convince himself. David sits back and gazes at the ceiling or maybe at nothing at all. "You should call your parents, Eden. The detectives are on the way."

My hand is still trembling when I pull out my phone. I scroll through my contacts and find my mother's number. I haven't spoken to her in a good month. My mom and I have always communicated. We never lost touched. She knew what was going on in my life and she kept me updated about our family drama. I haven't spoken to my father in five years. He used to call me on my birthdays but I never answered. He stopped the birthday calls after year three.

She answers on the first ring. "Hi baby. What's wrong?"

"Mom." There's shakiness in my voice. I cry, sobbing so hard I can't get any words out.

"Tell me what's wrong, honey. Breathe."

"Emily's in the hospital. She's in critical condition," I manage to say throughout sobs.

"What?" My mother's voice sounds strangled.

"She got attacked during a home invasion."

"A home invasion? Dear God. Are you okay? Is Angel okay?"

"We're okay."

"I'm sorry, honey. Sweet Lord. When did this happen?"

"Chief David called me at midnight. Emily went to the amusement park with Abel. He took her to his cabin afterward. Someone broke into Abel's home and attacked Abel and Emily. The doctors haven't told me anything yet but the nurses informed us that they are trying to get Emily's vitals stable."

"Dear God. I have to get to my babies. Your father and I are catching the first flight out. Hang on, Eden. Mama's coming."

I nod and blabber words that make no sense. She tells me she loves me and that they're on their way. But a flight from California to North Carolina is at least five hours. It's a little after twelve A.M. now.

I wipe my eyes with the sleeves of my denim jacket and notice a woman and a man standing in front of David, waiting patiently. I didn't notice them enter the waiting room. David introduces me to the detectives when I get off the phone. The American Indian woman with high cheekbones, almond-shaped eyes, and straight inky black hair that's cut into a razor-sharp bob is Detective Rain Gibson. She wears dark slacks and a silk boysenberry colored blouse. She has large kind brown eyes. The man with lovely brown skin seems to be in his forties. He has a nice smile and soulful brown eyes. He wears a powder blue dress shirt tucked neatly into his navy blue trousers. He's Detective Darrius Williams. They both shake our hands.

"We're sorry about what happened to Abel and Emily," Gibson says. "I know this is a very sensitive time but do you mind answering a few questions?"

David and I both nod.

Williams pulls out a small recorder from his pocket. The golden badge clipped to his belt glints on his hip. I can't believe this is happening. "Do I have your consent to being recorded?"

"Yes," I say.

David nods again. "Absolutely."

Williams starts recording.

Gibson gives us a sympathetic no-teeth smile before she starts. "Are you aware of anyone, maybe even friends, that Abel and Emily had a recent disagreement with?"

We both shake our heads. "Abel's a good man. He loves his clients and he only has one good friend. His name is Michael Cruz. They've been best friends since preschool. Michael moved to Tennessee with his wife four years ago but they keep in touch, calling each other every other day." David's lips press in a thin line. He shuts his eyes and groans. "I have to call Michael. That boy is going to lose his mind when he finds out."

Gibson's eyes move to me. "What about Emily, Eden? Has she made anyone upset recently?"

"Upset no, but the entire town didn't approve of her being here," I say. "The people in this town didn't want my sister or Angel here. They don't want my family here."

"Why do you think that is," Gibson asks, her brown eyes staring into mine. She's searching for something. I just don't know what it is.

"They believe in the Marilyn curse."

Gibson's brows furrow. "What do you mean?"

"I'm sure you know about my biological mother and father, Detective. My father stabbed my mother to death and then he blew his brains out."

"Sorry for your lost," Detective Darrius says.

I look to him and he holds my gaze. "Thank you."

"Just because your sister and Abel were assaulted doesn't make the curse true," Darrius says. His voice is calm and smooth despite the seriousness in his expression. "The curse isn't real."

"But even Chief says there hasn't been a homicide since the year my parents died. If...if they don't make it, then it'll make the curse true."

"It's not your fault," Darrius says.

Detective Rain pats my shoulder like I'm physically injured. "There is no curse and this isn't your fault."

The questions pause for a moment. Angel holds me closer and I chug the tasteless cold coffee down.

"Was Abel or Emily dating anyone else prior to each other?" Gibson asks.

"No," David says. "Abel's relationships has always been casual. He doesn't keep a woman long enough to introduce. I've never met one. He doesn't date, not until Emily."

"And Emily doesn't date, either," I say. "She has no jealous lovers that would attack her and Abel. But she does have a very disturbed stalker. His name is Evan Sanders. My sister is famous. She has all kinds of creeps watching her every move."

The detectives' expression seems to change from empathetic to determined and focus.

"We'll call officials in California and check to see if Evan has left the state. We have CSI techs at the scene now," Gibson says, her eyes trained on me. "We've set up check points throughout the town."

"We will find who did this," Detective Darrius says, reassuring me with the calm steel in his gaze. "We have a canine unit on ground, searching through the wooded area near Abel's cabin. Ravenwood is small. They won't get far. We will keep you updated on everything." He stops the recording and places the recorder back into the pocket of his trousers.

"Thank you," I whisper.

"My officers are good," David says. "They'll work hard to find the person that did this."

Detective Williams nods. "There's no doubt about that, Chief. But you and I both know you're off this case. It's too personal. I suggest taking some time off."

"I hear you," David says, shaking his head.

A woman in mint green medical scrubs comes through a door. David waves her over to our little group. She shakes our hands with a firm grip. "I'm Dr. Camilla. I'm the surgeon. Emily's vitals have stabilized. Abel and Emily are in recovery. You can see them now." Dr. Camilla glances at the detectives. "I need to speak with you two alone."

The doctor leads them through double doors that they talk behind in whispers.

A nurse comes to usher us into their hospital rooms. We pass the double doors and I stop to listen.

"He was shot from a distance. The bullet skipped over his rib and exited out his left torso. If he were shot pointblank range, then the force of it would've shattered his entire ribcage, even if the bullet missed his heart the shrapnel from his splintered bones would have punctured his heart."

I swallow hard and Angel looks back at me. "What's wrong?"

I shake my head.

His brows draw together. There are more questions in his eyes but Angel doesn't pressure me. He holds out his open hand.

Jogging up to him, I take it and entwine our fingers as we follow the nurse to Emily's room.

The nurse takes David to his son's hospital room first. Abel's room is directly beside Emily's. David slips through the closed door, shutting it behind him. The nurse takes us to Emily's spacey room. Her eyes are shut and her skin is chalk white. She lies in bed with IV's hooked in her arms. She looks half dead.

"She's on strong pain medication so she'll be asleep for a while," the nurse says. "You can stay and watch over her and maybe take a nap while she's asleep. There are pillows and sheets in the cabinet."

"Thank you," Angel says.

The nurse nods and shuts the door. I walk up to my sister and softly stroke her golden locks. "You're going to be okay, blue bird. You're going to survive this."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 4.1K 28
I pulled away breathless. He rested his forehead against mine. "What just happened?" "That's a good answer sweet cheeks" "Whatever it was I liked...
Dissolving By wee_me

Teen Fiction

240K 10.1K 46
****THIS IS A SEQUEL. To be able to follow this story, please read "Unravelling" first**** Lily has started into the new year with a mixture of confu...
3.1K 261 45
**Unedited** "She can't come to the phone right now. I'll be happy to take a message for you." My blood runs cold. "Where is she? What have you done...
4.9K 813 39
The Werewolf is a game with life and death. Under the sun or under the moon, every breath and every heartbeat has become a fight for survival. For th...